Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,106 members, 7,811,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1329) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2047285 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1326) (1327) (1328) (1329) (1330) (1331) (1332) ... (1683) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:06pm On Dec 30, 2022
Cedarfarms:
Good afternoon house, please I'd like to be guided rightly, I hv a 3.5kva 48v luminous inverter, would want to buy other support systems to power a household using 1.5hp pumping Machine which would be used mostly during the day.

Want to know like how many solar panels I can buy and ba3s needed to power it.

Please note, the pumping machine would only be used during the day if possible to maximize output and not stress ba3s.

Thanks

for battery, if solar is your primary charging source, you can consider getting a minimum a 7kwh to 10kwh lithium bank. trying it with 4 units flooded battery and an oversized solar panel array eg 8units x 300w is a bit risky, as the sun cud go down while your panels are carrying the load...and this will result in the load being transferred to the poor flooded battery, who are not designed to carry such load.

lithium is the best for loads like this, the only challenge is that the luminous inverter charging algorithm isnt suitable for lithium cells, so you need to dance tru hoops if grid is your primary charging source, but if its solar, you would be ok

lastly, its a 50/50 hit if the luminous would be able to power the sumo, check the surge rating of the inverter..if its upto 6000watts, then it should,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 7:58pm On Dec 30, 2022
earthrealm:

for battery, if solar is your primary charging source, you can consider getting a minimum a 7kwh to 10kwh lithium bank. trying it with 4 units flooded battery and an oversized solar panel array eg 8units x 300w is a bit risky, as the sun cud go down while your panels are carrying the load...and this will result in the load being transferred to the poor flooded battery, who are not designed to carry such load.

lithium is the best for loads like this, the only challenge is that the luminous inverter charging algorithm isnt suitable for lithium cells, so you need to dance tru hoops if grid is your primary charging source, but if its solar, you would be ok

lastly, its a 50/50 hit if the luminous would be able to power the sumo, check the surge rating of the inverter..if its upto 6000watts, then it should,

This is very very wrong , and untrue.
Nothing wrong with flooded batteries running pumping machines. I will always say it , if you are currently not using flooded batteries stop trying to make it look has if it is a diseased patient.. stop lying. . period.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 8:06pm On Dec 30, 2022
Cedarfarms:
Good afternoon house, please I'd like to be guided rightly, I hv a 3.5kva 48v luminous inverter, would want to buy other support systems to power a household using 1.5hp pumping Machine which would be used mostly during the day.

Want to know like how many solar panels I can buy and ba3s needed to power it.

Please note, the pumping machine would only be used during the day if possible to maximize output and not stress ba3s.

Thanks

My brother get a very good, 3kva inverter the luminous might work. Even with 2 tubular batteries you are good to go. The only thing get enough panels. No be to pump water. So far you have a enough panels you are okay.
300 watts panels 6 is ok.
Dont let anyone deceive you , tubular is okay, for what you want use it for.

I use my tubular for my pumping machine and water heater and air conditioner and no problem.

Lithium is of high chemistry, but of course more expensive .

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 8:23pm On Dec 30, 2022
samnaija:

Nothing wrong with flooded batteries running pumping machines. I will always say it , if you are currently not using flooded batteries stop trying to make it look has if it is a diseased patient.. stop lying. . period.

We can't have a thriving community with this type of attitude. Accusing someone of lying without any proof to what end? Why should he lie? He doesn't sell lithium batteries neither does he manufacture them. If his suggestion tickled your insecurities then that is your problem.

Earthrealm is one of the Tubular batteries OG. He has lots of experience with them and he told no lies. Tubular batteries like all flooaded acid batteies are but designed for High rate of discharge. It is just one of the down side of the battery chemistry. Tubular are rated for C20 discharge or about 10A for a 200AH battery. 10x 48 = 480w this is the rated or optimal discharge rate of an average 200AH tubular battery in 48v configuration. Anything above that and you are discharging the battery faster than it designed rate if charge.

Putting a 1.5HP device which is over 1000w or about 20A This could lead to inevitable voltage sag especially if the battery is at 50% state of charge which can even trigger a low voltage disconnect.

A cheaper alternative would be to use an AGM battery like Quanta or fullriver DC. AGM have higher rate if discharge and some can go as high as C10 or 800w in the case of 200AH in 48v configuration.

7 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 8:33pm On Dec 30, 2022
bigrovar:

We can't have a thriving community with this type of attitude. Accusing someone of lying without any proof to what end? Why should he lie? He doesn't sell lithium batteries neither does he manufacture them. If his suggestion tickled your insecurities then that is your problem.

Earthrealm is one of the Tubular batteries OG. He has lots of experience with them and he told no lies. Tubular batteries like all flooaded acid batteies are but designed for High rate of discharge. It is just one of the down side of the battery chemistry. Tubular are rated for C20 discharge or about 10A for a 200AH battery. 10x 48 = 480w this is the rated or optimal discharge rate of an average 200AH tubular battery in 48v configuration. Anything above that and you are discharging the battery faster than it designed rate if charge.

Putting a 1.5HP device which is over 1000w or about 20A This could lead to inevitable voltage sag especially if the battery is at 50% state of charge which can even trigger a low voltage disconnect.

A cheaper alternative would be to use an AGM battery like Quanta or fullriver DC. AGM have higher rate if discharge and some can go as high as C10 or 800w in the case of 200AH in 48v configuration.

This is not lithium profile forum, but a forum that people whom have used systems and tested and give advice to others to assist through their experience.

A well balanced and objective advice is to give a newbie options and way the cost. Not running off on other battery chemistry when there are alot people using the battery. Haba.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2022
FEGEITOK:
Time to finally get my solar panels and charge my batteries from that as a primary source and no longer from discos.

NERC has increased tariffs again.

Try to buy electric units and you will get my drift
What is the charge per kWh now?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2022
bigrovar:

By the way, he only wants to pump water in the day time, 24volts will be ok and cheaper.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by okikigsm: 9:38pm On Dec 30, 2022
odimbannamdi:
DC meter to provide 360-view of the vitals of your inverter system. It comes with 200A shunt.

Price: 10,000 firm

Pls do u have d ac type/model?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 9:53pm On Dec 30, 2022
okikigsm:

Pls do u have d ac type/model?

No, i dont
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 9:57pm On Dec 30, 2022
We keep saying "newbie" "newbie" is the new be a dumb? Solar is not for dullards. You should be able to read and accept or discard online info. You can use a 5v 5A lithium battery to pump water--- believe at ur own peril.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Cedarfarms: 10:20pm On Dec 30, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I am not sure that a Luminous 3.5kva would start up a 1.5hp pump successfully - it is not that 3.5kva is not large enough but rather that the Indian inverters (Sukam, Luminous etc) generally have poor surge handling ability. They tend to go into overload when a large inductive load tries to start up.

But do test it and see how things go and then can begin to move from there.

Ok, will try it....thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Cedarfarms: 10:23pm On Dec 30, 2022
samnaija:

My brother get a very good, 3kva inverter the luminous might work. Even with 2 tubular batteries you are good to go. The only thing get enough panels. No be to pump water. So far you have a enough panels you are okay.
300 watts panels 6 is ok.
Dont let anyone deceive you , tubular is okay, for what you want use it for.

I use my tubular for my pumping machine and water heater and air conditioner and no problem.

Lithium is of high chemistry, but of course more expensive .

Thanks, so the luminous is very ok? Its 48vs so I don't know if 2 ba3s will be ok.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Cedarfarms: 10:24pm On Dec 30, 2022
earthrealm:

Thank u very much, will check the surge rating.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 10:32pm On Dec 30, 2022
Cedarfarms:

Thanks, so the luminous is very ok? Its 48vs so I don't know if 2 ba3s will be ok.

If your inverter currently, is 48v, you will need 4 batteries. Increase your panels to 300 watts 8 pieces.
The truth about renewable energy ,use the resources when there is sun.
Your pumping machine comes on during miday , you are ok.
Or do you currently have batteries?.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 11:20pm On Dec 30, 2022
samnaija:

Where is the lie?

From my experience he is saying the truth, you cannot control Sun! Hence its risky to rely on it especially for heavy loads, those batteries will work but at the expense of his hard earned cash.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 11:37pm On Dec 30, 2022
@cedarfarms
You need basic understanding when is comes to sth of this nature. Now, you mentioned 2 batteries for 48v which shows u still need to learn a lot. Truth is you will get enough information online.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 11:38pm On Dec 30, 2022
samnaija:

If your inverter currently, is 48v, you will need 4 batteries. Increase your panels to 300 watts 8 pieces.

You go injure this guy o walahi.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 5:16am On Dec 31, 2022
ojeysky:
3 units of brand new ANT BMS 7s to 16s 300A available for sale @75k each

Still available for sale
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IyaTola: 5:54am On Dec 31, 2022
Can I get a quote for 5KVA?

Thank you in advance
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 6:20am On Dec 31, 2022
Not too long ago someone asked how long can a tubular battery last and those of us who have used those batteries gave our experiences. I started my solar journey with 2 Tubular batteries and used them for 3 years (Including 1-year completely off the grid in a 2 bedroom house with 4 occupants) The secret is how you design your system to avoid the limitation of whatever system you are using.

In my case, I ran heavy loads like my freezer and fridge during the day and thus on solar and limited battery discharge rate to about 150w. This includes a TV, fan, and lights for the house. heck, my night load was once 90w thanks to having efficient loads like led lights, dc ceiling fans, and solar outdoor lights. The low night discharge was way below the recommended discharge rates of those batteries which in my case was 200w.

The only thing I ran my generator off on was the water pump and I decided 20 minutes of generator time once every 2 days was more efficient than putting a 1HP water pump on a 5kwh battery bank designed for a 200w discharge rate.

I later sold those batteries and got 4 Exide Index batteries 200AH directly from Multipower ilupeju. These upgrades allowed me to increase my loads hence things like an electric kettle, microwave could be used with the batteries (In short bursts) and my night discharge became 300w (Still within the discharge limit of my batteries)

The Exide Tubular are in their second life with a friend which puts them at 4 years of use. I ensured I used the batteries within the limits of their rating,
* I had a battery sensor that allowed for the temperature-compensated charge.
* I made sure my batteries were rarely discharged below 50% dod
* I made sure batteries were fully charged every day and never left them in a partial state of charge
* I also made sure that I kept the charge voltage, and discharge rate to be within the limits accepted by the battery chemistry.

When you come to a place like this, come with facts not offing and puffing but offering very little substance. I have put out the facts as I see them. It is up to whoever is reading this to do as they see fit. Every decision has consequences. How long your battery last depends on how well you treat them.

12 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 6:39am On Dec 31, 2022
FEGEITOK:
Time to finally get my solar panels and charge my batteries from that as a primary source and no longer from discos.

NERC has increased tariffs again.

Try to buy electric units and you will get my drift

Aedc is especially harsh lately!!! 10k lasts 5 days bro and they have refused to seize power for a week now...wayo pipu
I also need to cut them off completely.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 7:21am On Dec 31, 2022
isangjohnson:

What is the charge per kWh now?

N1,000.00 gives you 13.6kWh.

I am sorting out my panels next working day.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Xmen149(m): 8:17am On Dec 31, 2022
If you have used solar panels for sale 200w and above please quote me on this message.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Cedarfarms: 8:32am On Dec 31, 2022
samnaija:

No I don't have ba3s yet.......will get both just wanted guidance on quality and quantity of panels needed.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Cedarfarms: 8:39am On Dec 31, 2022
dollarnaira:
@cedarfarms
You need basic understanding when is comes to sth of this nature. Now, you mentioned 2 batteries for 48v which shows u still need to learn a lot. Truth is you will get enough information online.

Thanks alot for your input, will do so.......
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tobintin(m): 10:26am On Dec 31, 2022
Blu-blu, and bulaba of the pocket

earthrealm:

Preach the victron gospel bossman,
Baba blue 4 life
That inverter will burn a hole tru the avg naija users pocket. A fancy toy that gets the job done at a premium.
grin grin grin angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry sad angry
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 1:28pm On Dec 31, 2022
I would say do not be discouraged by any negative feedback on your quest for knowledge and to build a system.

If all you need is electricity to run your pump once in a while a suitable sized Gen may be your cheapest bet.

If you are looking to solar to solve your day to day energy needs plus run your pump then it is doable but you need some knowledge and a plan.

Yes the LFP chemistry is probably the best deal out there today but you can get by on basic lead acid for starters.

So work out your energy needs first and come back to the house for suggestions - if the only equipment you have is the 3.5kVa Luminous then all good as it gives you some leeway to to get better equipment around it.

I second the idea that if you have solar + 24v 200Ah of lead acid, you should be able to pump water during sunlight hours, your solar panels would do most of the heavy lifting and not stress your battery unduly - you will need to match battery nominal voltage to inverter of course.

So come back with your final goals for power and the good people here will certainly give you ideas, product suggestions and designs.
Cedarfarms:

No I don't have ba3s yet.......will get both just wanted guidance on quality and quantity of panels needed.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:32pm On Dec 31, 2022
samnaija:

my brother, just relax and take it easy. allow them to keep dissing lead acid like it's the most evil
battery chemistry on earth. the fact that somebody used lead acid and got his fingers burnt either due
to ignorance or laxity does not warrant discouraging others from using it.
some of us are still jejely enjoying our lead acid battery banks without stress. if you know, you know.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 1:40pm On Dec 31, 2022
Dam5reey:

Where is the lie?

From my experience he is saying the truth, you cannot control Sun! Hence its risky to rely on it especially for heavy loads, those batteries will work but at the expense of his hard earned cash.

So according to your school of taught with lithium sun go balance.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Cedarfarms: 3:36pm On Dec 31, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I would say do not be discouraged by any negative feedback on your quest for knowledge and to build a system.

If all you need is electricity to run your pump once in a while a suitable sized Gen may be your cheapest bet.

If you are looking to solar to solve your day to day energy needs plus run your pump then it is doable but you need some knowledge and a plan.

Yes the LFP chemistry is probably the best deal out there today but you can get by on basic lead acid for starters.

So work out your energy needs first and come back to the house for suggestions - if the only equipment you have is the 3.5kVa Luminous then all good as it gives you some leeway to to get better equipment around it.

I second the idea that if you have solar + 24v 200Ah of lead acid, you should be able to pump water during sunlight hours, your solar panels would do most of the heavy lifting and not stress your battery unduly - you will need to match battery nominal voltage to inverter of course.

So come back with your final goals for power and the good people here will certainly give you ideas, product suggestions and designs.

I sincerely thank you for the words of encouragement.....my goal is to power the 1.5hp pumping machine, and a few household appliances, like tv, decoder, 5 light bulbs and a rechargeable fan.

But the pumping machine will only be used during the day.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 4:37pm On Dec 31, 2022
Cedarfarms:

Thanks alot for your input, will do so.......
Ywc
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Juror: 5:27pm On Dec 31, 2022
samnaija:

So according to your school of taught with lithium sun go balance.
The reality is that he'll hardly check the sun's output before he powers the pumping machine any afternoon he wants to use it and sometimes he may not even be the one to switch it on, or he may even use a timer for it. The implication is that nobody can guarantee what the sun's output would be at the time the machine is being used or even the battery's state of charge, this means that at some point, the battery may have to supply all the power required by the pumping machine and there's no gainsaying that lithium would be more suited in such scenario than lead acid except he has some other automation in place to check the battery's state of charge and solar output which then allows the pump or not.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1326) (1327) (1328) (1329) (1330) (1331) (1332) ... (1683) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Namzy(m), walexsos and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.