Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,773 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1392) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2058441 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1389) (1390) (1391) (1392) (1393) (1394) (1395) ... (1691) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GloriousGbola: 2:32am On Apr 21, 2023
jonescosmo:

Thanks a whole lot Bros.
Just for people who might want to setup something similar, the space is 8ft x 8ft sha. I have ordered a 16Inch Extraction Fan from the USA, The fan is Temperature and Humidity Controlled, also has a mobile App for remote control and mmonitoring.

The "Tubular Gang" are meant to be decommisioned and sold off after fully testing the Lithium batteries and their capabilities. Those Tubular Batteries is going to be replaced by a 3rd 9.5KW Lithium Battery and the 2x 5KW inverters will be put in Parallel Mode (Teste this method already though) Or I would simply grab another inverter with 2 MMPT input Strings for my 10x 540W Panels and 8x 350W Panels, Felicity now has a New Model that has 2 MPPT Inputs , this:
https://www.felicitysolar.com/600v-10000-watt-3-phase-solar-hybrid-inverter-dc-to-ac-in-parallel_p129.html
and this:
https://www.felicitysolar.com/best-48v-5kw-hybrid-grid-tie-pure-sine-wave-inverter-for-home_p128.html

Hehehehe, That my Generator is a 3Phase 6.5Kva Birtoli Gen and was retired since almost 4 years now by my 4 Years old former Inverter (3Kva iPowerPlus) Which I have now installed for my mom in Lagos (Picture Attached Below). So the small Gen is just there rusting out.

This new setup is aimed at retiring my 20kva Mikano Generator for good. And ofcourse Nepa People are not happy with me ooo. They came last week to inspect my meter and I showed them the panels on the roof. Hehehehe. I told them the I had to sum up the monthly 100k I used to recharge for 3yrs and yet the electricity will still not be available when you need it most times. so i decided to demote Nepa Supply on my Priority list and go for solar energy.
The two Genertaors might be auctioned out after a year of fully testing this my potential off grid Installation.

as an aside, please ensure you complement your extractor fan with a rodent proof mesh and standard mosquito netting

also, did you confirm that the fan you bought is rated 220V?

once you are buying anything online that has some sort of motor - you have to confirm the operating voltage. universal voltage does not apply to fans, blowers, blenders etc.

cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Peterlove11: 9:02am On Apr 21, 2023
ask4bk:

Wow. I see there are many things involved in this.

Do tubular batteries truly get you more years more than AGM batteries?

If I've the means I heard I could go lithium install and forget about it for 10-15 yrs, especially if I'm using it like I use these batteries today. True?

Tubular batteries are more durable than AGM or other Seal Maintenance Free(SMF) lead acid. If you don't have money for lithium yet, go for it. Genuine Tubular batteries are far superior than other lead acid for solar and inverter systems. The major advantage of AGM over regular Tubular battery(C20) is it can support fast charge and discharge because of its 10hr rating. Even still there are C10 Tubular batteries that will give AGM a run for its performance.

Have been using mine for over 3years still running like when I got it. It powers my whole flat.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jick4life(m): 10:26am On Apr 21, 2023
i have an inverter 1500va with lithium battery of 3600wh sold by stronghold technology limited but the company is no longer in existence. it can only be charged with AC power (like generators or NEPA). the battery still last as well.

pls, can I add solar charge controller that support lithium battery and solar panels to it?
what sp3c? pls no insult.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 10:41am On Apr 21, 2023
jick4life:
i have an inverter 1500va with lithium battery of 3600wh sold by stronghold technology limited but the company is no longer in existence. it can only be charged with AC power (like generators or NEPA). the battery still last as well.

pls, can I add solar charge controller that support lithium battery and solar panels to it?
what sp3c? pls no insult.
of course you can, looks like a 24v system, 700w solar panels should be a good start although it also depends on if you want to use the battery while charging it during the day in which case you will need more solar panel wattage
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jick4life(m): 11:01am On Apr 21, 2023
Penuelseun:
of course you can, looks like a 24v system, 700w solar panels should be a good start although it also depends on if you want to use the battery while charging it during the day in which case you will need more solar panel wattage
Gracias
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by papiTwist: 7:24am On Apr 22, 2023
Hello good people,

I installed six pieces of 350 watts Felicity solar panel mono (3 each in series and paralleled). That is totaling 2,100 watts. I’m using 3.5Kva/24v Felicity Hybrid inverter IVPM 3524 with 80amp inbuilt MPPT charge controller.

The system is only able to generate 1,200watts maximum on very bright sunny days, even with depleted batteries and load. So I’m wondering if other users have similar experience.

This means I’m loosing 900 watts of my total installed capacity.

Is this normal? Please what are your experiences?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by brightk(m): 10:05am On Apr 22, 2023
papiTwist:
Hello good people,

I installed six pieces of 350 watts Felicity solar panel mono (3 each in series and paralleled). That is totaling 2,100 watts. I’m using 3.5Kva/24v Felicity Hybrid inverter IVPM 3524 with 80amp inbuilt MPPT charge controller.

The system is only able to generate 1,200watts maximum on very bright sunny days, even with depleted batteries and load. So I’m wondering if other users have similar experience.

Did you check each panel individually befor mounting? What about the direction of your panels? Any shading? Can we see pics of your installation.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Peterlove11: 12:23pm On Apr 22, 2023
papiTwist:
Hello good people,

What's the angulation(steep) of your panels, pics of the installation might help our Ogas in the house
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 12:34pm On Apr 22, 2023
Between Morningstar TS-MPPT-60-600V-48 TriStar MPPT 600V Charge Controller and Conext MPPT 100 600 Solar Charge Controller
which one would you for?

I am curating my shopping list for my mid-year PV system upgrade.

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by papiTwist: 2:35pm On Apr 22, 2023
brightk:

Did you check each panel individually befor mounting? What about the direction of your panels? Any shading? Can we see pics of your installation.

Thanks for your response,

Honestly I didn’t check the panels individually.
The panels are positioned East-West and facing due north. I couldn’t get it to face due south because of the roof orientation.

There is no shading at all. In fact the panel receives quality sunlight between about 7:30am - 5:30pm.

Meanwhile, I used 2*7 AWG wire, that’s about 2*12mm square and the length between the panel and the inverter is about 10 meters.

See attached pix

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by papiTwist: 2:44pm On Apr 22, 2023
Peterlove11:

What's the angulation(steep) of your panels, pics of the installation might help our Ogas in the house

The angle should be between 35- 45 degrees.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 3:54pm On Apr 22, 2023
papiTwist:

The panels are positioned East-West and facing due north. I couldn’t get it to face due south because of the roof orientation.

There is no shading at all. In fact the panel receives quality sunlight between about 7:30am - 5:30pm.

Meanwhile, I used 2*7 AWG wire, that’s about 2*12mm square and the length between the panel and the inverter is about 10 meters.

See attached pix

Your expectations is too High,

Your panels are doing fine for the grade, you can't get 100% of solar rating expect around 60% to 75% at peak.

What's kind of batteries are you using, you might also me limiting the power with your connected loads.

What's the daily power generation in KWH, does your inverter logs the daily harvest?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Peterlove11: 4:24pm On Apr 22, 2023
papiTwist:

See attached pix

Everything looks OK.... other thing is the quality of panel. Someone complained recently about felicity panels here. Check page 1375. Maybe there panel ratings are false or they are being wrongly labeled by Alaba boys
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osayuwamwen(m): 4:27pm On Apr 22, 2023
Your own is even better, This is the highest I have generated sofar from a two 400watt panel, total of 800watt panel, just a mere 416watt in a very sunny day
papiTwist:
Hello good people,

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Peterlove11: 4:28pm On Apr 22, 2023
Dam5reey:

Your panels are doing fine for the grade, you can't get 100% of solar rating expect around 60% to 75% at peak.

What's kind of batteries are you using, you might also me limiting the power with your connected loads.

What's the daily power generation in KWH, does your inverter logs the daily harvest?

His is less than 60%. Something is wrong. Panel ratings might be false. Mine generates more than 70% at peak hours. And am sure it's a regular grade panel
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by papiTwist: 5:04pm On Apr 22, 2023
Dam5reey:

I’m Using Luminous Tubular batteries ( Two 12volts 220ah) purchased from the Authorized distributor “SimbaDen.

The inverter isn’t equipped with record of daily generation.

If I load the inverter with more than 1.2kw, the balance of the excess will be drawn from the battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by papiTwist: 5:07pm On Apr 22, 2023
Peterlove11:

Everything looks OK.... other thing is the quality of panel. Someone complained recently about felicity panels here. Check page 1375. Maybe there panel ratings are false or they are being wrongly labeled by Alaba boys

Thanks. Ooh my naija!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sheisenough01: 5:10pm On Apr 22, 2023
Hi Bosses,

I need your help on this. What do you advise for longer battery run time.

Two more batteries or change from Famicare 24v inverter to a Transformless pure sine wave inverter?

If two more batteries can I add 2 tubular new to my current setup though they are old? (3 months old)

My batteries do around 5-6 hours currently.

I appreciate all responses.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by papiTwist: 5:19pm On Apr 22, 2023
osayuwamwen:
Your own is even better, This is the highest I have generated sofar from a two 400watt panel, total of 800watt panel, just a mere 416watt in a very sunny day

I presume you are using a 12 volts system. 13.7volts is the reading when a 12volts system is fully charged. Maybe you don’t have plenty load on the systems that will push it to generate more than the 416 watts it generated.

What brand of solar panel are you using?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osayuwamwen(m): 5:33pm On Apr 22, 2023
Yes it's a 12v system, am using choice solar panels
papiTwist:

I presume you are using a 12 volts system. 13.7volts is the reading when a 12volts system is fully charged. Maybe you don’t have plenty load on the systems that will push it to generate more than the 416 watts it generated.

What brand of solar panel are you using?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by aaforke: 5:51pm On Apr 22, 2023
Hi Guys, good day, I am trying to set up a grid system just to accommodate Nepa power supply .My power need is really small as I intend to power just my Laptop, fan, phones, router and tv occasionally (rarely). I was looking at luminous inverter. Nonetheless I would appreciate advice on alternative products to explore.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oronto: 6:23pm On Apr 22, 2023
Valto:
Large quantity of premium brand new grade A Eve 160ah Lifepo4 lithium battery cells available. comes with authentic QR code, busbars and screws. price is 70k each, slight discounts on 16pcs and above. we can also couple in a nice metal box as
12v 160ah, 12v 320ah, 24v 160ah, 24v 320ah, 48v 160ah.
whatsapp me 0802-057-4628
how long can a 160ah power a 100watt load?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 6:51pm On Apr 22, 2023
Oronto:
how long can a 160ah power a 100watt load?
12v 160ah? about 20hrs
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 6:56pm On Apr 22, 2023
ask4bk:

Hi,
Seems you know well about batteries ao pls let me ask you.

I've 6 lead acid batteries of 200ah 12v each I use offgrid. They are connected to use in 24v inverter.

Been using it for 1 year now without nepa or generator but fully solar and it's has never gone off.

Good thing is, it has never gone beyond 20% DoD. During the day it's fully charged. At night I sleep with it at 25.6v and by morning it's still at 25.0v-25.2v. Impressive. That's like over 90% charge before sun charges it again all day.

My question is, being lead acid and never hitting 50% Dod, do you think it can last me 5-7 years? I'm asking coz I was told no matter how you use lead acids, after 2-3 years they'll die or be weak. cry cry

i have seen lead acid battery banks, 48kwh capacity do north of 5years....confirmed!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jefferyzz(m): 7:18pm On Apr 22, 2023
Ur panels is facing north? Place them on the other side of the roof den.
osayuwamwen:
Yes it's a 12v system, am using choice solar panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osayuwamwen(m): 7:34pm On Apr 22, 2023
I don't know if it's north but the side were the panel is place get d most sun light for a day
Jefferyzz:
Ur panels is facing north? Place them on the other side of the roof den.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Juror: 9:26pm On Apr 22, 2023
bigrovar:

Tubular Battteries share the same age as AGM, it all depends on how you use them. I tend not to recommend tubular for home or solar use, if you can afford go for AGM. you can charge them faster and discharge them at a higher discharge rate, all this makes them ideal for home and solar application. Tubular have too many point of failures, for one the tubular we get here in Nigeria have electrolyte of douthful quality since the electrolyte are usually mixed and filled here in Nigeria, you can not be sure of the gravity of the mix ratio and the quality of water used.

Then they is the issue of long time idle state, over 3 months in a ship from India and another 2 to 3 months in the shop waiting to be sold. All this means when you get a tubular it is already suffering from partial state of discharge and have issues with sulphation. AGM is less susceptible to above listed problems. The problem with AGM is cost. Good AGM batteries cost close to Lithium.

Are you implying that longer storage period / idle state doesn't affect AGM ?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2023
osayuwamwen:

Lol grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 9:55pm On Apr 22, 2023
osayuwamwen:
too bad, what is happening this days in Nigeria solar world. 80% of panels in the market are inferior and not real capacity, even some 45A CC are reprinted as 60A, some 2.5kva inverter rated as 3.5kva, make i no go battery side angry
the other day, someone bought felicity 175w panel and after a perfect tilt, was only able to get 101w at peak of sun.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by desiji: 10:28pm On Apr 22, 2023
papiTwist:

See attached pix
You placed the Solar panels flat on metal roof if the sun comes out it will derate the production, you need to put the panles on solar rails to allow air circulation under them. do this and you see a better harvest

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 12:15am On Apr 23, 2023
Dam5reey:

Instaneous production has hit 970 watts.

I have just 2 470 Jinko Panels.

Between 7 and 8 degrees tilt.

Most of the time though I see between 400 and 700 watts production.

Mine don't stay on the roof there is a lot of room for air to flow around them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1389) (1390) (1391) (1392) (1393) (1394) (1395) ... (1691) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Elkrypto(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.