Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,723 members, 7,816,974 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1443) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2059178 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1440) (1441) (1442) (1443) (1444) (1445) (1446) ... (1692) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 4:07pm On Jul 23, 2023
I have a small 1kva inverter system connected to the mains directly, i try as much as possible to switch off all heavy loads before switching it on. However had an episode where i mistakenly left an heavy load on and the inverter tripped off and took hours before it turned back on. Pls what device can i connect to the output to prevent this overload happening again?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Allem(m): 5:27pm On Jul 23, 2023
AC Breaker should do it.
Drgreatone:
I have a small 1kva inverter system connected to the mains directly, i try as much as possible to switch off all heavy loads before switching it on. However had an episode where i mistakenly left an heavy load on and the inverter tripped off and took hours before it turned back on. Pls what device can i connect to the output to prevent this overload happening again?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Bgee77: 5:58pm On Jul 23, 2023
What happens if solar panels watts exceed the MPPT charge controller, where voltage and current are okay?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Edrizz(m): 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2023
Get a good electrician to help you partition your load on the distribution box.

Drgreatone:

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Papamirah: 7:16pm On Jul 23, 2023
Hello House please I need your input, I have my setup up as follows

60A felicity charge controller with 145vdc
Afriipower inverter 2500VA
4 Hausstorm Tubular batteries of 12v x220Ah( Flood LA)
9 Canadian solar panels 300w (32.2V, 9.31A)(connected in parallel)
10mm wire.

Now my concern is that my max input panel voltage is 72v, max charging current 35A and the max Wat is about 960w I have ever seen on the charge controller. Shouldn't the wattage be more than that?. Will this charge my batteries well considering that I run the solar setup for 22 hrs and run my gen for 2hrs a day before I go to bed.

how can I completely eliminate the gen running considering the current reality.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 7:21pm On Jul 23, 2023
Its a rented apartment plus doin this would mean adding another mini distribution board which I'm trying to avoid.
Edrizz:
Get a good electrician to help you partition your load on the distribution box.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Edrizz(m): 7:33pm On Jul 23, 2023
More reason why I said u should get a good electrician, u ain't gonna need any mini board bro, awesomely easier if you are currently having a 3 phase DB

Drgreatone:
Its a rented apartment plus doin this would mean adding another mini distribution board which I'm trying to avoid.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ameh99: 7:55pm On Jul 23, 2023
We build lithium battery packs of all sizes
Ranging from;
*12v 50AH
*12v 100AH
*12v 200AH
*24v 50AH
*24V 100AH
*24v 200AH
All our pack come with 2yrs warranty

We also deal on electric bicycle kits...

Call/whatsapp 09068448005

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 8:29pm On Jul 23, 2023
Is there a simpler alternative that doesnt involve getting an electrician. Planning a mini off grid status so avoiding doin anything that wud need undoing when I finally expand or decide to move out.
Edrizz:
More reason why I said u should get a good electrician, u ain't gonna need any mini board bro, awesomely easier if you are currently having a 3 phase DB

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 8:37pm On Jul 23, 2023
Drgreatone:

Contact @Zeestone99, he sell device for that purpose.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 8:42pm On Jul 23, 2023
Bgee77:
What happens if solar panels watts exceed the MPPT charge controller, where voltage and current are okay?

The CC will clamp the power to it Max wattage capacity, provided you don't exceed the VOC.

You may have to state your intended pv array and the CC for better advice.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 8:45pm On Jul 23, 2023
Papamirah:
Hello House please I need your input, I have my setup up as follows

60A felicity charge controller with 145vdc
Afriipower inverter 2500VA
4 Hausstorm Tubular batteries of 12v x220Ah( Flood LA)
9 Canadian solar panels 300w (32.2V, 9.31A)(connected in parallel)
10mm wire.

Now my concern is that my max input panel voltage is 72v, max charging current 35A and the max Wat is about 960w I have ever seen on the charge controller. Shouldn't the wattage be more than that?. Will this charge my batteries well considering that I run the solar setup for 22 hrs and run my gen for 2hrs a day before I go to bed.

how can I completely eliminate the gen running considering the current reality.

Is your inverter 24v or 48v?

Are you Panels connected on 3s3p?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Papamirah: 8:57pm On Jul 23, 2023
the system is 24v and yes 3S3P

TechGeek777:

Is your inverter 24v or 48v?

Are you Panels connected on 3s3p?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dbshaywhy(m): 9:36pm On Jul 23, 2023
Valto:
a 24v 3.5kva hybrid inverter, 6pcs of 400w jinko and 24v 230ah/200ah lifepo4 lithium battery can serve..
Thanks for the input... Much appreciated

But will a good brand of hybrid inverter with durability.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 10:00pm On Jul 23, 2023
Drgreatone:

In addition to installing a breaker, also consider isolating those heavy loads from the inverter line. But then, a good inverter should have an overload protection feature that kicks into effect if the max load rating is surpassed and simply switching off and switching it back on should resolve it.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 10:02pm On Jul 23, 2023
Drgreatone:

You don't need another distribution box. Where is your location? I know an electrician that specializes in this.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Bgee77: 10:06pm On Jul 23, 2023
Is Felicity charge controller 120A 195V and 12pcs of 540w Felicity solar panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 10:19pm On Jul 23, 2023
Papamirah:
the system is 24v and yes 3S3P

So many things may be wrong here.

First your Felicity 60A CC can only give 1650w @ 24v and your battery bank is 24v 440Ah.

With 24v system, you can't efficiently charge those batteries if you discharge them too much.

Secondly, your so called 300w Canadian panels could be Alaba dubious categories of panels, hence they are not able to charge your battery efficiently.

If you derate the batteries to 180Ah and discharge based on 30%, your current panels might help to charge them well.

Thirdly, you didn't state you daytime and night consumption.

Verdict, you may have to get 48v inverter to retain your 60 CC, and reconfigure you batteries to match 48v system.

OR

Get 120A CC to match the panels for your 24v system.

Look into the orientation of your panels if they're actually real Canadian.

If this is not a DIY setup, I suggest you call your installer.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Papamirah: 11:22pm On Jul 23, 2023
Day time : about 600W (9am-3pm)
Evening : about 200W ( 3pm-10pm)
Night: about 100w (10pm-9am)

TechGeek777:

First your Felicity 60A CC can only give 1650w @ 24v and your battery bank is 24v 440Ah.

With 24v system, you can't efficiently charge those batteries if you discharge them too much.

Secondly, your so called 300w Canadian panels could be Alaba dubious categories of panels, hence they are not able to charge your battery efficiently.

If you derate the batteries to 180Ah and discharge based on 30%, your current panels might help to charge them well.

Verdict, you may have to get 48v inverter to retain your 60 CC, and reconfigure you batteries to match 48v system.

OR

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tetralogyfallot(m): 11:35pm On Jul 23, 2023
funshyboi:
Hello guys, please which of this wires should I connect to each other ? Is it blue with blue or otherwise.

Don’t mind my question I’m Just a DIY person.

My second question is my battery charger which is tagged “A” in the picture uploaded with the following rating
INPUT:AC100V-240V~2.0A
MAX 47-63Hz,
OUTPUT:14.6V, 5.0A
is faulty.

I got a laptop charger which is tagged “B” in the picture uploaded with following rating
INPUT:AC100V-240V~1.6A
MAX 50-60Hz,
OUTPUT:18.5V, 3.5A

Will it charge the battery efficienciently

Thank you for your response
this is my football field. That Sako charger is 12v LifePo4 blue battery charger and it charges battery to 14.6 which is ideal for LifePo4 battery. Using laptop charger may damage the battery especially if the BMS is not a strong one. Laptop charger voltage is 18.5v to 19v which is totally wrong for a 12v battery.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tetralogyfallot(m): 11:40pm On Jul 23, 2023
funshyboi:
Hello guys, please which of this wires should I connect to each other ? Is it blue with blue or otherwise.

Don’t mind my question I’m Just a DIY person.

My second question is my battery charger which is tagged “A” in the picture uploaded with the following rating
INPUT:AC100V-240V~2.0A
MAX 47-63Hz,
OUTPUT:14.6V, 5.0A
is faulty.

I got a laptop charger which is tagged “B” in the picture uploaded with following rating
INPUT:AC100V-240V~1.6A
MAX 50-60Hz,
OUTPUT:18.5V, 3.5A

Will it charge the battery efficienciently

Thank you for your response
connect the brown to the white of the other wire and the blur to the naked wire around the white wire. Then that small blue should not be connected to any wire. For proper explanation chat me 08034694579
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by funshyboi(m): 7:07am On Jul 24, 2023
tetralogyfallot:
this is my football field. That Sako charger is 12v LifePo4 blue battery charger and it charges battery to 14.6 which is ideal for LifePo4 battery. Using laptop charger may damage the battery especially if the BMS is not a strong one. Laptop charger voltage is 18.5v to 19v which is totally wrong for a 12v battery.

Thank you very much, you really sabi. It’s actually LiFePO4 battery charger. I’ve been looking for where to get another one since the one I’m using got spoilt a while ago
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 9:33am On Jul 24, 2023
Bragging Time

The last few days have been very cloudy and raining in Ibadan. So, my solar yield has been poor.

This morning I discovered that I have taken 520AH from my lithium battery bank which is about 80% of my total.

I sat down to do the calculation. 520AH at 48V is like draining 12 200AH 12V lead acid batteries to zero. However, given a 50% DoD, already above what is recommended for Lead Acid batteries, I would have needed a bank of 24 200AH 12v batteries.

And even then my system would have shut down because my pumping machine drawing about 2KW and my water heater drawing about 1.5KW still came on at 4:00AM and 5:00AM respectively. Pump for 25 minutes and heater for 90 minutes. Voltage would have gone down low enough to trip the inverter.

If you are not using lithium batteries, you can not appreciate its resilience.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 10:12am On Jul 24, 2023
TechGeek777:

OR

If they are brand new, it's 99% fake canadian solar panels.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Bgee77: 10:33am On Jul 24, 2023
TechGeek777:

The CC will clamp the power to it Max wattage capacity, provided you don't exceed the VOC.

You may have to state your intended pv array and the CC for better advice.

3s4p. 540w panel. CC 120A Felicity
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ajog1: 10:55am On Jul 24, 2023
funshyboi:

Thank you very much, you really sabi. It’s actually LiFePO4 battery charger. I’ve been looking for where to get another one since the one I’m using got spoilt a while ago

Go look thoroughly for another charger or get the spoilt one repaired. But you ought to know that the default charger has a breaker-circuit that stops the supply of current once the battery has been charged fully( aka the indicator turns green from red). So why using something else not having such safety features? Dont burn your house.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 11:02am On Jul 24, 2023
adrusa:
Bragging Time

The last few days have been very cloudy and raining in Ibadan. So, my solar yield has been poor.

This morning I discovered that I have taken 520AH from my lithium battery bank which is about 80% of my total.

I sat down to do the calculation. 520AH at 48V is like draining 12 200AH 12V lead acid batteries to zero. However, given a 50% DoD, already above what is recommended for Lead Acid batteries, I would have needed a bank of 24 200AH 12v batteries.

And even then my system would have shut down because my pumping machine drawing about 2KW and my water heater drawing about 1.5KW still came on at 4:00AM and 5:00AM respectively. Pump for 25 minutes and heater for 90 minutes. Voltage would have gone down low enough to trip the inverter.

If 520ah is roughly equal to 80% then your battery bank capacity is less than 1000Wh. How does it compare to 12 units of 12v/200ah ~= 29KWh bank though?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 12:56pm On Jul 24, 2023
Nice one... but check the bolded again. A typical 30L water heater takes about 15 to 20 minutes to reach the setpoint.

adrusa:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 12:57pm On Jul 24, 2023
mctfopt:

Bought around 200m at ₦2500/m in April and I was pissed off that it was expensive. Just 3 months down the line we rocking almost ₦3000 na wa.

Me too.

In February was expecting it would be under a 1000. In July shocked it is going to 3,000.

Next plan of action is to arrange to buy a whole roll since I still plan to upgrade my system lest it would cost 5,000 then.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by waleayeni1: 1:55pm On Jul 24, 2023
adrusa:
Bragging Time

How much did you get the lithium battery
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 2:22pm On Jul 24, 2023
Papamirah:
Day time : about 600W (9am-3pm)
Evening : about 200W ( 3pm-10pm)
Night: about 100w (10pm-9am)

If the watts stated here is per hour, the panels are definitely fake.

If it's comulative, the batteries should be checked.

In all contact your installer.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EPOMA(m): 2:58pm On Jul 24, 2023
Trippledots:

If 520ah is roughly equal to 80% then your battery bank capacity is less than 1000Wh. How does it compare to 12 units of 12v/200ah ~= 29KWh bank though?

520amp x 48v = 24kwh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1440) (1441) (1442) (1443) (1444) (1445) (1446) ... (1692) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: durodee(m), jonescosmos, ksmart027(m), moneyest(m), alosbaba007(m), Hero2t and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.