Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1511) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2072068 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1508) (1509) (1510) (1511) (1512) (1513) (1514) ... (1698) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigbauer(m): 2:40pm On Oct 27, 2023
FEGEITOK:

@litaninja

Let me correct one phrase.

You know networking inside out, should replace the phase that are into networking which I used earlier.

Everything you said up there is valid.

I started by fixing PCs ( hardware) to software to running networks to supplying software to enterprises to architecting complete solutions from scratch incorporating software, hardware and consultancy.

Before I sell a solution, I actually personally play with it and have a working knowledge of the same.

My point is that knowing the basics and knowing them well is non-negotiable.

I use cybersecurity to get in some doors, but I am versed in several aspects of IT and I keep learning. My biggest grossing deal wasn't a cybersecurity deal, but cybersecurity opened the doors for me.

When I started, I bought books on subjects as diverse as open source intelligence techniques, database security, website security, web hacking, networking, windows server administration, computer evidence collection and preservation, Oracle hacking and devoured them, Official Certified Ethical Hacker also.

When these certifications came out, I bought the Official Study Guides books: Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP) and Certified Wireless Network Administrator(CWNP).

You need a foundation without which you cannot understand certain concepts. Money does not just appear from nowhere.

You are one of those "rare finds" on Nairaland. I would love to have you on my contact list. I might need your services one of this days, (that is if you'll have time for a micro client).

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigbauer(m): 3:02pm On Oct 27, 2023
FEGEITOK:

Speaking of the value of knowing your stuff inside out.

I decided to update the BIOS of my main laptop on Saturday morning. It turned out to be the biggest mistake of my life. I bricked my primary workhorse and had to literally cancel all my schedule for Saturday and Sunday.

I have been updating BIOS all my life. But this one went south. The laptop would not come on again. To be more specific, it would turn on, but only into BIOS. It would not boot into windows. I tried every trick in the world same thing. I downloaded and created a USB based Windows Boot disk, but it would not load. I downloaded recovery ISOs and used them to create a USB stick that can allow me access the system, no luck.

I then assumed I have a bad USB stick and went to a repair man and he gave me a his own, same thing. Guy was stumped, referred me to someone else who was busy. I went home, kept trying all of Saturday and all of Sunday then luck smiled on me towards evening.

Then something occured to me. As a matter of practice and principle, I try to duplicate how enterprise networks are run at home. It means that I standardized on a particular laptop brand (Lenovo), a particular series of that laptop and that I have several of such laptops at home. I have Thinkpads X series several generations. I have more than one of each generation. X240, X250 and X260

So I said, when I bought this laptop, I swapped out the 250gb SSD for the 1TB SSD from my retired laptop. What would happen if I put back that original 250gb SSD. I tried it and the laptop would come on. So, the problem was with the drive and not the motherboard.

I took it out and returned the 1TB SSD same thing.

I then recalled that they said that X240 and X250 are literally the same internally. So I took out my X250 that I rarely use from storage and it would not come on, the power button would blink and make some noises and then go off. I removed the external battery, same thing. I removed the internal battery, same thing. I disconnected the BIOS battery, reconnected it, reinstalled the internal and external batteries and it came to life. I then removed the SSD that came with the X250 and inserted my 1TB SSD and it roared to life.

If I did not know my onions, I would never have resolved this at home and all by myself.

This story also illustrates for those IT guys who have never operated in an enterprise environment why enterprises always standardize infrastructure. It makes troubleshooting a lot easier. It also explains why you must duplicate the enterprise environment if you want to relate well with your peers inside.

In my days as a hardware and software guy. I was not that guy who fixed a bad PC by formatting it. I never did so. I always repaired the OS. I was very adept at those tools. Which guy would you prefer? A guy that does the easy fix or the guy who tried to understand what went wrong and then fixed it. Who knows the technology better? Who would you want in your corner when you got into IT trouble? I did not mind how long it took.

Even before repairing, I would use Antivirus Boot CDs to throughly disinfect the system because the primary cause of those failures was infection from human error. I would even replace the corrupted operating system files.

That quest to understand the underlying technology and understand how things work and fix the problem instead of just refreshing everything made me extremely knowledgeable of operating systems and led me to such tools like Winternals amongst others. Knowledge that I have sadly rarely ever used since I switched camp. Winternals was so good that Microsoft ended up buying the company and absorbing its founders, I can never forget Mark Russinovich. How much sadness I felt when Microsoft said they would discontinue that line of products. How many hardware and software guys knew that such tools existed? Their solution was to get pirated CDs and reinstall Windows. I never did that.

Neither can I forget The PC Upgrade & Maintenance Guide by Mark Minasi.

In the event that that had to be done, I would extract all the license keys from the installed software before ever formatting. So that the user would not lose his or her investments. I invested so much and found out that private individuals cannot pay for the labor that I put in. They were always willing to pay for hardware but never for the brains that did the work.

I would also save the user's data. I would ransack all corners of the hard drive and I would even take notes of where I got what data from so that at the end of the day, when I was done, the PC would be the same as it was before the trouble.

Then I plotted my pivot from that sort of business and thank God I did. Where I am today and where I was then is literally as different as the night is as different from day.

Attention to detail is what makes the difference and is a big differentiator when it comes to troubleshooting, both as a hardware and or software engineer. Back in the day, I would boot a client system with Ubuntu (my preferred Linux distro at the time) to access hdds that were corrupted, especially by viruses, then copy the necessary files from my various Windows versions to replace the corrupt files ( i had 3 ex hdds, with 3 partitions each that I had installed windows on for this purpose). To date I don't use any antivirus app on my devices, I use Ubuntu to delete any virus on my system (I had a nasty experience with Avast antivirus). BTW, I love you already. Matter of fact I've sent a dm.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 4:06pm On Oct 27, 2023
isangjohnson:

We all know that very few people will be able to afford EV grade cells.
As many of us are dealing with non Ev grade cells generally known as grade B, we should try to adjust our marketing terms to reflect what we sell.
I salute Amy Wan, Gloria Basen, Cassie Wang and few others for their marketing strategies but Selina Li must step up her game. Telling people like us who are very inquisitive that Eve has grade A, grade A+, grade A-, grade with letter B QR Code and grade without letter B QR Code is not a good marketing strategy.

Interesting analysis, curious if you have ever bought cells from any of the bolded?....as their cells are 30% more expensive and i sense from your posts that you like a good bargain
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:19pm On Oct 27, 2023
Does anyone sell 100ah 12v lifepo4 here?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sharks776(m): 11:34am On Oct 28, 2023
There might be light at the end of the tunnel

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sharks776(m): 11:36am On Oct 28, 2023
bassdow:

you want to add the new battery seperately, or pair it in series or parallel to existing battery bank ?

I want to Pair it in parallel.

I bought felicity 10kwh and paired it. Working fine so far
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 12:20pm On Oct 28, 2023
sharks776:

I want to Pair it in parallel.

I bought felicity 10kwh and paired it. Working fine so far
it's never adviceable, combining batteries from different brands, different capacities, different chemistreries, different age
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 2:35pm On Oct 28, 2023
As long as they have the same nominal voltage, then yes, they can be connected in parallel. However, they will charge and discharge at different rates and one may carry the load more than the other one .
There are some videos on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqSc7FngRE8?si=C1Xtsu3qQL3IqAPW
And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcV6IIFqKt0?si=EEfCg_wVljZL7RH4

sharks776:
Hello

This is my current setup
Jinko 560w x8
Sunshine solar 430w x6
Sunshine solar 450w x6

3 CCs, one for each
1 inverter 7.5kv Felicity transformer base

2 Wakatek lithium batteries 12.5kwh (LB48250)

Everything is connected to 2 busbars (+&-)

Question:
I want to add at least one more battery but currently the distributor is out of stock.
What will be the effect if I add another brand of lithium battery possibly of different capacity? If that is even possible
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osayuwamwen(m): 3:19pm On Oct 28, 2023
Can i use a solar submersible pump on my 12v solar inverter system?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 4:58pm On Oct 28, 2023
osayuwamwen:

Why do you want to use a solar submersible on inverter. If it is a solar submersible get solar panels connected to it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 5:22pm On Oct 28, 2023
osayuwamwen:
0.5hp will work on 3kva 12v
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osayuwamwen(m): 5:49pm On Oct 28, 2023
I already have a 12v solar inverter of 1.5kva, I'm planning to change my submersible pump to a solar pump instead of upgrading my solar system to bigger size, buy a solar pump will be cheaper than upgrading my solar inverter system, my question is can my 12v 1.5kva inverter power a solar pump if maybe connected as AC to my setup
dollarnaira:

0.5hp will work on 3kva 12v
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 7:15pm On Oct 28, 2023
osayuwamwen:
I already have a 12v solar inverter of 1.5kva, I'm planning to change my submersible pump to a solar pump instead of upgrading my solar system to bigger size, buy a solar pump will be cheaper than upgrading my solar inverter system, my question is can my 12v 1.5kva inverter power a solar pump if maybe connected as AC to my setup

What is the hp?
Consider initial surge.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obnoxious2001(m): 7:32pm On Oct 28, 2023
osayuwamwen:

yes it can.
get a PSU that can produce the needed current and voltage need to run the pump.

it should work fine.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:45pm On Oct 28, 2023
osayuwamwen:

An inverter submersible pump is even better.
No surge and low wattage.
Using one for my folks in the village 250w and 0.33hp...using it on a 24v 1.5kva luminous inverter....am sure a 1kva inverter will still work ok
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osayuwamwen(m): 7:48pm On Oct 28, 2023
What is psu?
Obnoxious2001:

yes it can.
get a PSU that can produce the needed current and voltage need to run the pump.

it should work fine.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obnoxious2001(m): 7:50pm On Oct 28, 2023
osayuwamwen:
What is psu?
Power supply unit
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osayuwamwen(m): 7:51pm On Oct 28, 2023
Pls do you have idea abt the cost of 0.33hp and will it be efficient enough to pump for 3 tank of 1500 liters each?
earthrealm:

Using one for my folks in the village 250w and 0.33hp...using it on a 24v 1.5kva luminous inverter....am sure a 1kva inverter will still work ok
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osayuwamwen(m): 7:55pm On Oct 28, 2023
Is solar pump same as inverter pump?
earthrealm:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:58pm On Oct 28, 2023
bassdow:

it's never adviceable, combining batteries from different brands, different capacities, different chemistreries, different age

It's fine for lithium

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:16pm On Oct 28, 2023
osayuwamwen:
Is solar pump same as inverter pump?

I dont know exactly what u mean by solar pump...but i guess its a dc pump you can connect directly to solar panels or battery.

An inverter pump is like inverter fridge....uses ac , has no startup surge, very efficient, and consumes low watts
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:19pm On Oct 28, 2023
osayuwamwen:
Pls do you have idea abt the cost of 0.33hp and will it be efficient enough to pump for 3 tank of 1500 liters each?

It pumps about 2000 liters in 70 minutes.
Was about 120k i got it on jiji last year.
Now will it last being used daily to fill 3 tanks as u described...i have no clue, its made in china not europe.

If u have upto 300k, try grundfus pump, its made in europe very reliable but rugged
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osayuwamwen(m): 8:19pm On Oct 28, 2023
Ok
earthrealm:

I dont know exactly what u mean by solar pump...but i guess its a dc pump you can connect directly to solar panels or battery.

An inverter pump is like inverter fridge....uses ac , has no startup surge, very efficient, and consumes low watts
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obnoxious2001(m): 2:14am On Oct 29, 2023
osayuwamwen:
buy high hp.
around 1.5hp should fill those tanks within 3hrs....
another thing you need to take note of is the depth of the bore hole undecided undecided

most pumps has a depth dey cant pump beyond
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 3:23am On Oct 29, 2023
Pls bell my curiosity. For 2 colleagues installations, curious as to which would be more efficient. A 2kva12v hybrid inverter connected to a 12v200ah lithium battery and a 4.2kva24v hybrid inverter connected to a 24v100ah lithium battery. Both using 2 415watt jasolar panels. Would there be any difference also in the charging time and discharge rate assuming same loads? Thanks

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Edrizz(m): 4:30am On Oct 29, 2023
Definitely there's going to be difference in charging going by these mathematical calculations.

12v 100ah
12.8v x 100ah = 1,280wh/1.28kwh

2 x 415watt panels = 830watt

So, 1,280wh ÷ 830watt = 1.542h. So approximately within 2 - 3hours of a great sunlight n provided the inverter system is idle, the battery should be fully charged

24v 100ah
12.8v × 2 × 100ah = 2,560wh/2.56kwh

So, 2,560wh/830watt = 3.08h. By this calculation, the 24volts pack should attain full charge within 3 - 4hours provided all other factors is considered.

In conclusion, 12volt 100ah battery is not the same as 24volt 100ah battery. When in use under the same condition, 24volt 100ah battery would last longer than 12volt 100ah battery

Drgreatone:
Pls bell my curiosity. For 2 colleagues installations, curious as to which would be more efficient. A 2kva12v hybrid inverter connected to a 12v200ah lithium battery and a 4.2kva24v hybrid inverter connected to a 24v100ah lithium battery. Both using 2 415watt jasolar panels. Would there be any difference also in the charging time and discharge rate assuming same loads? Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 7:25am On Oct 29, 2023
Edrizz:
Definitely there's going to be difference in charging going by these mathematical calculations.

12v 100ah
12.8v x 100ah = 1,280wh/1.28kwh

So, 1,280wh ÷ 830watt = 1.542h. So approximately within 2 - 3hours of a great sunlight n provided the inverter system is idle, the battery should be fully charged

24v 100ah
12.8v × 2 × 100ah = 2,560wh/2.56kwh

So, 2,560wh/830watt = 3.08h. By this calculation, the 24volts pack should attain full charge within 3 - 4hours provided all other factors is considered.

In conclusion, 12volt 100ah battery is not the same as 24volt 100ah battery. When in use under the same condition, 24volt 100ah battery would last longer than 12volt 100ah battery

check again, it is 12v 200ah vs 24v 100ah
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Edrizz(m): 8:11am On Oct 29, 2023
Oh, thought I saw 12v 100ah

Penuelseun:
check again, it is 12v 200ah vs 24v 100ah
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osayuwamwen(m): 8:24am On Oct 29, 2023
How do I know the Depth am using 1.5hp pump
Obnoxious2001:

buy high hp.
another thing you need to take note of is the depth of the bore hole undecided undecided

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obnoxious2001(m): 8:37am On Oct 29, 2023
osayuwamwen:
How do I know the Depth am using 1.5hp pump
you need to know the depth of your borehole( its referred to as well head depth on the pump) then compare it
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:18am On Oct 29, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

buy high hp.

osayuwamwen:

thats maybe an inelegant way of solving a problem, throwing high hp at an issue. recall his major constraint was power- using his inverter to pump water. a 1.5hp sumo would require minimum of 4kw inverter to power it. unless its a dc sumo...then he would require minimum 2kw of panels to have a chance at it working ok.

any sumo has a ''head' as you rightly pointed out, this is written on the spec sheet of any decent submersible pump...and tells you the depth and flowrate of the pump. so a pump with a head of 200ft will work ok, be it 0.2hp or 10hp.....the 2nd consideration now becomes the flowrate, a 10hp might have a 100liter/minute flowrate while a 0.2hp pump might have a 20liter/minute flowrate.............so you then calculate your water tank capacity and usage to arrive at the hp that is optimal for your use case.

the inverter sumo i talked about has a head of 210ft/70meters and flowrate of 35liters/minute...and its being deployed for a single house with 2000liter overhead tank. works ok for that use case. deploying a 1.5hp pump there may deliver water faster, but would be useless as they just have a 1.5kva inverter which cant power it and totally offgrid

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1508) (1509) (1510) (1511) (1512) (1513) (1514) ... (1698) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.