Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1611) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2056961 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1608) (1609) (1610) (1611) (1612) (1613) (1614) ... (1690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 4:41pm On Mar 09
mikeayus:

Thank you, but I thought thats the work of using a MPPT CC that would regulate charge going into the battery.

Also, these loads mentioned would not always be powered on the inverter, It is planned to be a backup power system for few hours when no power from the mains

see eh, some charge controllers do have where you set Battery voltage. If yours do have such, you could under Value your battery so a 200AH battery becomes 100AH or 150Ah and check how quick it goes from 50% to 100% full while under load.

Also, you just might have to use your loads all at same time during the day when the sun is really UP so as to help delay things.

na just Guesses I dey do as I no really read your main post. Just relying on responses to add mine

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mikeayus(m): 4:42pm On Mar 09
bassdow:

Hopefully, you're very much aware not to Mix Old + New batteries.

Also, you think say manually monitoring battery na easy task

I am not suggesting manual monitoring that's why I got a MPPT CC. Or am I missing something?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 4:46pm On Mar 09
mikeayus:

i haven't connected anything yet, the set up is still in design phase. Very much open to advise from experts here. Thanks
Just went through your main POST

I doubt you have anything to worry about regarding overCharging of batteries.

Your charge Controller go do him work and it would stop charging the batteries as soon as it hits 100%.

Where wahala go dey na if you run the battery below 60% (during night time use OR when weather is bad enough for the Solar panels not to deliver much)

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 4:49pm On Mar 09
mikeayus:

I am not suggesting manual monitoring that's why I got a MPPT CC. Or am I missing something?
Ignore please. Just went through your main POST.
All these while, was relying on responses without seeing your initial comment.

The charge Controller go do him work. it would charge and cutOff as soon as the battery is full.

if you get money, would suggest even adding more Solar Panels sef.

That way, during the day, you go use light wella without much issue with regards to wether battery don full or not.

later, depending on your load, you could make it a 2pcs battery of 24-volts just to stress the battery lesser especially during Night time use

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mikeayus(m): 4:59pm On Mar 09
bassdow:

Ignore please. Just went through your main POST.
All these while, was relying on responses without seeing your initial comment.

The charge Controller go do him work. it would charge and cutOff as soon as the battery is full.

if you get money, would suggest even adding more Solar Panels sef.

That way, during the day, you go use light wella without much issue with regards to wether battery don full or not.

later, depending on your load, you could make it a 2pcs battery of 24-volts just to stress the battery lesser especially during Night time use

Okay, thanks for the feedback..much appreciated.

No financial capacity for extra panel or battery for now..my plan for the future is to upgrade to 2 new batteries after using this one till it needs replacement or I can afford to buy 2 new batteries, whichever comes first. Cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mikeayus(m): 5:02pm On Mar 09
Dam5reey1:

Boss, there is nothing to worry about, your set-up is perfect because you have enough PV and headroom for day usage.

Your batteries will charge adequately, forget about over-charging the batteries as the voltage goes up, charging current reduces, the batteries won't take much current from your PV. so your batteries wont swell. In bad weather condition you will be have 100% at sunset due to oversized array.

Go ahead and complete the installation. I have a similar set up for client.
Its even doing fine that I now have a new formula that its best to have enough Solar at least 1KW for 1 12V, 200AH Lead acid batteries.

I added Battery capacity meter for this client so he can see the SOC, he hardly goes below 50%.. and by 1PM he is at 100%.

1 Year plus running his Batteries did not overcharge, and batteries still have Full Capacity no loss.

You seem to be an installer, please what other things or accessories do I need to buy now to get it all up and running? a list of items would be highly appreciated. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey1(m): 5:13pm On Mar 09
mikeayus:

You seem to be an installer, please what other things or accessories do I need to buy now to get it all up and running? a list of items would be highly appreciated. Thanks

You need Solar Cable, MC4 connector depending, if you are doing 2s or 1p, Roof Mount accessories.
AC/DC breakers, SPDs, change overs, Current limiters, etc.. Just call an installer closeby to carry out on-site assessment.
You already bought main things. Let the Installer recommend and buy the rest!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mvphenryeto5: 5:31pm On Mar 09
dacool1:

Just be ready to replace your battery soon.

So many things could easily go wrong. Too much charging current on any day you decide to turn off your inverter, also You would most likely overdraw current at nights given the size of your inverter.

My first advice is you double the battery bank.
Secondly, a 60amps charger with a 24v system would have been better and probably cost same or just a little more than what you will be spending in total. Like smaller cable Guage, cheaper breaker etc.

Just keep in mind that whatsoever you have in mind will be different from what is achievable on renewable energy except you've got deep pockets

Plus I would have advised you got a lifepo4 battery, as it tolerates more abuse. Just make sure you turn off the system as soon as your battery voltage gets below 12.0v on small loads. The inverter you got is not optimal for lead acid as it won't cut off until battery voltage drops below 10.5v so you've got to really monitor your system

Why would he replace his battery soon when you don't know his load? You talking about too much charge current, what's the work of the mppt CC Bad advise tho

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by icjunior(m): 5:53pm On Mar 09
Dam5reey1:

Boss, there is nothing to worry about, your set-up is perfect because you have enough PV and headroom for day usage.

Your batteries will charge adequately, forget about over-charging the batteries as the voltage goes up, charging current reduces, the batteries won't take much current from your PV. so your batteries wont swell. In bad weather condition you will be have 100% at sunset due to oversized array.

Go ahead and complete the installation. I have a similar set up for client.
Its even doing fine that I now have a new formula that its best to have enough Solar at least 1KW for 1 12V, 200AH Lead acid batteries.

I added Battery capacity meter for this client so he can see the SOC, he hardly goes below 50%.. and by 1PM he is at 100%.

1 Year plus running his Batteries did not overcharge, and batteries still have Full Capacity no loss.

What's a battery capacity metre please?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 5:53pm On Mar 09
bassdow:
people keep thinking 12-volts system is cheap. You even require thicker cables which costs more YET e no fit power more appliances.

and Laptops could be power hungry most times especially when used for longer hours.

@mikeayus , are the Solar Panels in series or Parallel ? If in series, maybe you put in parallel, hopefully your charge controller would enter PWM mode.
Or better still, get a super cheap PWM charge controller of about 10,000 naira or therabout and use that pending when you have bigger battery bank and possibly inverter wey sabi work
He already has a 120amps mppt charger.. Changing to a 24v system wud make the mppt preferable to pwm
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mikeayus(m): 6:16pm On Mar 09
Dam5reey1:

You need Solar Cable, MC4 connector depending, if you are doing 2s or 1p, Roof Mount accessories.
AC/DC breakers, SPDs, change overs, Current limiters, etc.. Just call an installer closeby to carry out on-site assessment.
You already bought main things. Let the Installer recommend and buy the rest!

Noted.

Thanks man
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dacool1(m): 6:25pm On Mar 09
mvphenryeto5:

Why would he replace his battery soon when you don't know his load? You talking about too much charge current, what's the work of the mppt CC Bad advise tho

You do think the CC regulates current flow at the initial stage especially when the battery is depleted? Keep on misleading him. Overtime his charging current would exceed the recommended limit. How do you think some of these batteries become swollen?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey1(m): 6:38pm On Mar 09
icjunior:

Check out this video.. Thats the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5G0iR-kUr8

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey1(m): 6:53pm On Mar 09
dacool1:

You do think the CC regulates current flow at the initial stage especially when the battery is depleted? Keep on misleading him. Overtime his charging current would exceed the recommended limit. How do you think some of these batteries become swollen?

It does, provided you bought Orignal MPPT CC and Batteries.

With Good Charging Algorithm, where MPPT only pushes current based on Voltage.
Even LFP doesn't take Max Current unless you charge at very high Voltages which is out of recommendations.

The battery swelling was a result of the wrong charging Algorithm in some Inverters and Quack batteries.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 6:54pm On Mar 09
Obnoxious2001:

I am that I am grin Na money dey determine who I can become grin.

Am in Lagos now.
Shey b na u
Everywhere you go... grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 9:43pm On Mar 09
Dam5reey1:

Check out this video.. Thats the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5G0iR-kUr8

Do you have a local seller of this particular battery monitor?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DBlackCeazer(m): 11:36pm On Mar 09
jplambert:

I have one

1kv Famicare used for months & still work like new
still available?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DBlackCeazer(m): 11:37pm On Mar 09
Please anyone with a used 12v inverter between 800va to 1kva for sale?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ferdiwar: 1:49am On Mar 10
Got mine in November 2023 and it has been great so far, no regrets.

swagifted:
Dear fellow solar warriors, please persons that have used deye hybrid inverters in Nigeria what was the most common issues you encountered if any.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 3:08am On Mar 10
icjunior:

You don't REALLY need this please especially for such small setUp BUT if you plan going REALLY far with Solar, and Likes knowing exactly in details what's happening in your battery, then you might need it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 3:16am On Mar 10
Dam5reey1:

It does, provided you bought Orignal MPPT CC and Batteries.

With Good Charging Algorithm, where MPPT only pushes current based on Voltage.
Even LFP doesn't take Max Current unless you charge at very high Voltages which is out of recommendations.

The battery swelling was a result of the wrong charging Algorithm in some Inverters and Quack batteries.

e get reason I stick with charge controller Brands and Models that knows it's onion. Plenty nonesense full market and except you be person wey dey research well and knows what you want, you go just dey spend money on rubbish.

Between a BRAND-NEW "sunFit charge controller" and a USED "epEver or MorningStar charge controller" , I would go for the USED epEver or morningStar or it's likes even if difference between their cost and cost of a BRAND-NEW "sunFit charge controller" isn't far.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 3:19am On Mar 10
DBlackCeazer:
Please anyone with a used 12v inverter between 800va to 1kva for sale?
Please when going for any inverter lower than 1KVA, kukuma just buy used UPS make electrician or solar person wey sabi am help you convert am.

Except of course Money ain't your worry + you don't mind.

MeanWhile, when looking for used items, rather than wasting time asking in here, just go to jiji . ng
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by swagifted(m): 5:57am On Mar 10
Ferdiwar:
Got mine in November 2023 and it has been great so far, no regrets.

which battery are you using with it chairman
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obnoxious2001(m): 6:35am On Mar 10
dacool1:

2 ceiling fans!! How many watts each? A TV 2laptops simultaneously.

Hmm just like I said earlier get ready to replace your battery soon of you power all these appliances after sundown.

And you need to add the next battery within the next 3 months or so.

As per the charge current, I wasn't referring to over charge but over current and your battery will most likely swell or explode at some point because when there's no load and there's good sunlight, your charger would be sending over 50amps into the battery.

Just prepare to replace your battery soon it might not last 6months.

Plus the best you will get after sun down is 4hrs power supply if you power on your fans before hitting 50% DOD
What is the function of a charge controller?

I don't think this is true
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 8:01am On Mar 10
bassdow:

Please when going for any inverter lower than 1KVA, kukuma just buy used UPS make electrician or solar person wey sabi am help you convert am.

MeanWhile, when looking for used items, rather than wasting time asking in here, just go to jiji . ng

Most UPS are modified sine wave inverters. That's just the major minus. Every other thing na plus.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by solareclips: 8:15am On Mar 10
[ ?quote author=Juror post=128849131]

Did they deliver them ? What was their delivery cost like?[/quote] Please where did you buoght them
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DBlackCeazer(m): 9:11am On Mar 10
bassdow:

I already have the ups setup, but it requires external charger, I want everything compact. Couldn't get one on jiji.
Thanks for your input 🙏🏾
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 10:04am On Mar 10
DBlackCeazer:
I already have the ups setup, but it requires external charger, I want everything compact. Couldn't get one on jiji.
Thanks for your input 🙏🏾
when using Solar Panels, your charger is mostly your charge Controller except when using hybrid inverter which means the inverter has chargeController built-in.

And you know what, those UPS have low Voltage cutOff hence would switch off the moment your battery is low. e go even dey blow whistle for you THOUGH me dey comot the whistle.

and a used UPS is less than 10,000 naira despite the high cost of things. You don't even need the battery at all hence if e no get battery, e no concern you

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 10:07am On Mar 10
isangjohnson:
I need an experience installer to check someone's system in Abuja.
I'm not happy with the behavior of some installers.
Two months ago, dishtech whom I trusted was supposed to handle an installation for my client in Abuja but he went for outside work, which took him longer time to return to Abuja.
I came here and asked for an experienced installer and someone indicated interest and dropped his contact as well.
I called and linked him to my client. Instead of him to go and handle the job by himself, he sent his boys who didn't understand anything about the lithium battery, even as I was monitoring the installation through phone call to make sure all settings were done correctly.
I was surprised to receive a call from my client few days ago that the system had shutdown. I thought it was lvd disconnect. We called the installer and the installer still sent his boy, who went there and told me that the battery wasn't producing power.
I called Dishtech who went there and realized that the battery type was set to tubular battery and lvd was set to 40v. Meanwhile, I set the lvd of the lithium battery to 43.2v (2.7v each).
The installer has collected his money and the overall cost of repairs is on my head now.
SUBMISSION: We should be careful of those people we call for installations.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 10:13am On Mar 10
mctfopt:

Most UPS are modified sine wave inverters. That's just the major minus. Every other thing na plus.

well except you run some really sensitive equipment, you really don't need it. If it's good enough for the PCs and servers, then it's good enough for appliances such as laptops and TVs.

in fact to cater for dirty AC & DC, some devices are designed with such in mind.

I might not be using this personally, BUT I know people I have done it for who are still using it even over 5-years after and I'm still in touch with most of them. So I know what I'm saying.

Doubt I would be saying these things had it been I'm an importer or seller of Inverters
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 10:19am On Mar 10
isangjohnson:

Two months ago, dishtech whom I trusted was supposed to handle an installation for my client in Abuja but he went for outside work, which took him longer time to return to Abuja.
I came here and asked for an experienced installer and someone indicated interest and dropped his contact as well.
I called and linked him to my client. Instead of him to go and handle the job by himself, he sent his boys who didn't understand anything about the lithium battery, even as I was monitoring the installation through phone call to make sure all settings were done correctly.
I was surprised to receive a call from my client few days ago that the system had shutdown. I thought it was lvd disconnect. We called the installer and the installer still sent his boy, who went there and told me that the battery wasn't producing power.
I called Dishtech who went there and realized that the battery type was set to tubular battery and lvd was set to 40v. Meanwhile, I set the lvd of the lithium battery to 43.2v (2.7v each).
The installer has collected his money and the overall cost of repairs is on my head now.

Quite sorry for your issue.

But you made a mistake trusting random Nigerian without due process. And dem no dey delay to collect money. In fact should you pay 100% ahead, they just might not show up at all, and even when they do, dem go dey do anyhow because they believe they've been paid and have nothing to loose.
In fact, when you pay 100% ahead, their next aim is to squeeze more out of you.
Say we dey here dey talk like say we get sense and responsible, doesn't mean we all are. Some of us just dey do packaging + hustling.

meanWhile, me sef dey do installation Ooo. I hardly market myself sha
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey1(m): 10:23am On Mar 10
isangjohnson:

you and the installer ehn, he didn't confirm settings with his boys, and you also didn't confirm the battery profile while on call.
Like you said we just need to be careful.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1608) (1609) (1610) (1611) (1612) (1613) (1614) ... (1690) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: TechGeek777, Elkrypto(m), Malquisoft(m), Mud3x(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.