Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,017 members, 7,828,579 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2087358 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (1707) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 9:53pm On Jan 05, 2013
@BodeJohn,
Please can you share how you sourced your charger? I understand you got it cheaper compared to local costs?
Also if you dont mind, can you post the pictures of your panels now (where they are located). Are they on the roof?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 10:04pm On Jan 05, 2013
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 11:51am On Jan 06, 2013
pdozie: @BodeJohn,
Please can you share how you sourced your charger? I understand you got it cheaper compared to local costs?
Also if you dont mind, can you post the pictures of your panels now (where they are located). Are they on the roof?

Yes, my panels are on the roof now, will post the picture later, when the sun is down. I got my charge controller from China, no brand name, just an inner believe that it will work and it is working...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jayboskie7: 5:40am On Jan 07, 2013
compliments to you bodejohn,pls can i have ur phone number ...................
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 12:05pm On Jan 07, 2013
jayboskie7: compliments to you bodejohn,pls can i have ur phone number ...................

I have sent you a PM mail, please reply and from there we can exchange numbers.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jayboskie7: 5:28pm On Jan 07, 2013
bodejohn,here is my phone number 08060615464.flash mi i will call u bak ok

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 10:04am On Jan 08, 2013
jayboskie7: bodejohn,here is my phone number 08060615464.flash mi i will call u bak ok

I sent you a text message yesterday, did you receive it?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 12:01pm On Jan 08, 2013
Oga George,
I noticed that my charge controller was only able to push about 25Ah charge to my battery bank yesterday when i was not at home with the Inverter switched off, the battery voltage was just 26.1V indicating that it was not fully chargered. I regularly got about 52 to 54Ah since installation when i was home and used the inverter.

I suspect that the circuit voltage of my panels that is about 40V is responsible, because the PV voltage sometimes drops below 30V, what do you think?
I plan to connect 3 panels in series as you once suggested.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:19am On Jan 09, 2013
pdozie: Oga George,
is this the controller you use?
http://www.amazon.com/MorningStar-TriStar-TS-60-Battery-Controller/dp/B004N3U74Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1357419699&sr=8-8&keywords=mppt+solar+charge+controller

pdozie,
that link is for the ts-60 which a pwm (or regular) version of the morningstar charge controller.i am currently using the ts-mppt-60 which is the upgraded version. here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Morningstar-TriStar-MPPT-Charge-Controller/dp/B0052UIPIC/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1357722791&sr=8-31&keywords=mppt+solar+charge+controller
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:23am On Jan 09, 2013
bodejohn,
it is better to connect your panels in three to take full advantage of its mppt functionality. if you install them any other way, your charge controller works just like any plain type controller with no boost.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 3:31pm On Jan 09, 2013
George_D: bodejohn,
it is better to connect your panels in three to take full advantage of its mppt functionality. if you install them any other way, your charge controller works just like any plain type controller with no boost.

Roger that.

One more issue came up after connecting 3 of the panels in series, the Vmp from the panels is now 60V but the battery quickly runs into absorption, where less of power is required from the sun. Yesterday i got only 23Ah from the panels but battery only got charged to 26.1V. It is beginning to look like i will be needing another pair of batteries pretty soon, otherwise i will only enjoy more power from the sun when i am at home during the day.

What do you suggest is the ration between the battery bank size and solar panels?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 9:28am On Jan 10, 2013
@George: Thanks for the info. I already placed the order for the MPPT and the meter. Many thanks to Akanniade. Sent him mail for clarifications and he did call me and explained.
I already spoke to Titus. Hopefully by the time the orders arrive, i should have enough fund to buy 2 of the 250W 24 panels for a start. Then I should be part of the Hybrid league.

Oh! I have also ordered Battery Life Saver BLS-48A 48v Battery System Desulfator Rejuvenator. Hopefully it will help desulphate the batteries and give them long life.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:23am On Jan 11, 2013
bodejohn:

Roger that.

One more issue came up after connecting 3 of the panels in series, the Vmp from the panels is now 60V but the battery quickly runs into absorption, where less of power is required from the sun. Yesterday i got only 23Ah from the panels but battery only got charged to 26.1V. It is beginning to look like i will be needing another pair of batteries pretty soon, otherwise i will only enjoy more power from the sun when i am at home during the day.

What do you suggest is the ration between the battery bank size and solar panels?

bodejohn,
your battery bank goes now goes quickly into absorption because your charge controller is now making full use of
total power output from your panels therefore pushing out more charging current into your batteries.

for optimal use of your panels always you should consider sizing your battery bank to at least 3 days of autonomy.
that way it will have more redundant capacity whereby it is able to accept more charge irrespective of daily usage.

with your present battery size, you will only be able to enjoy more output from your panels when you are at home
whereby you're using your inverter simultaneously while batteries are charging.

when your batteries are full, the charge controller goes into absorption and ultimately to float. any excess power
from your panels remain unused from that point onwards unless there is a power demand from your house load.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:34am On Jan 11, 2013
pdozie: @George: Thanks for the info. I already placed the order for the MPPT and the meter. Many thanks to Akanniade. Sent him mail for clarifications and he did call me and explained.
I already spoke to Titus. Hopefully by the time the orders arrive, i should have enough fund to buy 2 of the 250W 24 panels for a start. Then I should be part of the Hybrid league.

Oh! I have also ordered Battery Life Saver BLS-48A 48v Battery System Desulfator Rejuvenator. Hopefully it will help desulphate the batteries and give them long life.

pdozie,
the morningstar ts-60 and ts-mppt-60 look alike from the outside except in the weight and internal components. while the ts-60 weighs about 2.8kg, the ts-mppt-60 weighs about 5.4kg. i'm sure akanniade would have explained to you other aspects which differentiates a regular charge controller to an mppt one. this holds true irrepective of the brand - whether xantrex, outback, morningstar, etc. i'll be quick to add however that as with any other product, performance efficiencies are not the same. morningstar mppt charge controllers have been proven to be one of the best industrywide in terms of ruggedness, durablity and conversion efficiency.

and, yes, the battery life saver is a very good piece of equipment to have for any person working with a battery bank.
i will soon buy one too.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by yemionline(m): 1:51pm On Jan 11, 2013
Hi Every1, i found a link which i think may be a good read for those who want to hav a better understanding of how battries work, its a good read if you ask me.
here it is: http://www.letitgo.com.au/the-ins-and-outs-of-batteries-for-solar-systems/
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 4:37pm On Jan 11, 2013
George_D:

bodejohn,
your battery bank goes now goes quickly into absorption because your charge controller is now making full use of
total power output from your panels therefore pushing out more charging current into your batteries.

for optimal use of your panels always you should consider sizing your battery bank to at least 3 days of autonomy.
that way it will have more redundant capacity whereby it is able to accept more charge irrespective of daily usage.

with your present battery size, you will only be able to enjoy more output from your panels when you are at home
whereby you're using your inverter simultaneously while batteries are charging.

when your batteries are full, the charge controller goes into absorption and ultimately to float. any excess power
from your panels remain unused from that point onwards unless there is a power demand from your house load.

Thanks, I also discovered this although not before I bought two more solar panels thinking that was the issue. I hope I can get two more batteries from my supplier at the end of the month.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BUTONEDAY(m): 2:06pm On Jan 12, 2013
Jump in Jump out!!!

George_D, bodejohn and others, I hail.

Where can I get Deka Solar Batteries to buy at a cheap price.I got a guy in Lagos who is selling 265 Apms for 106K and 210amps for 83K
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deeplo(m): 6:52pm On Jan 13, 2013
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL
@ PDozie, thanks for the call the other time.
I finally fix my 3.5kva will do the installation by tomorrow,
meanwhile my 1.5kva has really serve me. I connected it in series/parrallel for 4 batteries
now it has to rest and allow the baba to begin work.
Ohh boy i don miss o... see people starting PPP... soon i will join too by God grace.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:59am On Jan 14, 2013
BUTONEDAY: Jump in Jump out!!!

George_D, bodejohn and others, I hail.

Where can I get Deka Solar Batteries to buy at a cheap price.I got a guy in Lagos who is selling 265 Apms for 106K and 210amps for 83K

Oga Butoneday,
Very nice to see you around, it is a sign that this year will be good.
Cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:08pm On Jan 14, 2013
hello butoneday,
top of the day to you. the deka batteries may be hard to get in these parts unless you're
prepared to order direct from the usa. i think the guy selling knows this and that's why he's
selling at such an exorbitant price. if you really need them go for the offer but really i think
that price is on the high side.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:10pm On Jan 14, 2013
deeplo,
welcome back. i'm sure that after your installation, you will finally begin to enjoy what some of us have been
enjoying for a while now. congrats in advance!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:12pm On Jan 14, 2013
all,
i finally completed the latest round of my systems upgrade over the weekend.

details as promised:
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:17pm On Jan 14, 2013
added an additional morningstar mppt charge controller and ran an extra length of cable to reduce
current loading on the first set. front facing modules and back facing modules now have their separate
controllers:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:19pm On Jan 14, 2013
installing the controller:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:21pm On Jan 14, 2013
more:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:25pm On Jan 14, 2013
replaced my faulty binatone stab with a prag 10kva stab. no story! cool

also installed a 60a breaker to take care of temporary electrical isolation
for maintenance activity.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:28pm On Jan 14, 2013
installed extra 2pcs 200w suntech solar panels to boost charging current.

now total array power has finally crossed into the 4,000w (4kw) category! smiley

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:33pm On Jan 14, 2013
changed string configuration for back facing panels to take advantage of mppt capability of charge controller.

(instead of two by twos, strings are now wired in threes - rear panels only for now)

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:35pm On Jan 14, 2013
be sure of the name: suntech!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:39pm On Jan 14, 2013
the old and new now working together:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:45pm On Jan 14, 2013
re-designed the voltage combiner for a more rugged and better performance.

also breaker now firmly in place:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:46pm On Jan 14, 2013
also commissioned the 5kva cyberpower inverter in place of the 3.5kva sukam:

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (1707) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Chikach and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.