Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,172 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2047602 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (1683) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 3:40pm On Mar 17, 2013
@bodejohn: very cool, u are sorted, ur charge controller is maximized.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barcholder: 10:42pm On Mar 17, 2013
Hi

We are a UK based company who will shortly be selling and installing Solar Power systems into Nigerian homes. We are able to offer financing for all qualifying customers. The selling price of our 2KW system will start at N1.3m, and will be capable of providing 24 hour electricity generation to all grid connected homes.

We are looking for a large team of sales agents in Lagos to sell to customers, who will be paid on a commission basis for each sale they generate. Our commissions start at N17,500 per sale, plus generous bonuses for achieving performance targets. Given the expected level of demand for our products, we expect good sales agents to make in excess of N500,000 per month. A successful sale is classified as one in which the customer has successfully been approved for the loan by the bank.

All necessary marketing material and relevant training will be provided by us.

We will commence formal face to face interviewing of all interested candidates in the next 2 weeks, and will begin supply and importation of the products at the start of April.

Can all interested parties please reply to the following email address, together with a brief description of why they believe they will make successful sales agents for our product.

uvie.ugono@btinternet.com
uvie.ugono@urecruitme.co.uk

Regards

Uvie
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 1:24pm On Mar 18, 2013
LOL...
This forum is not for the Ogas on Top oo..

@TotalGreen, thanks for the info. I've set the controller not to equalize already
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barcholder: 2:33pm On Mar 18, 2013
pdozie: LOL...
This forum is not for the Ogas on Top oo..

@TotalGreen, thanks for the info. I've set the controller not to equalize already

This has nothing to do with being on top, as you allude to. We are trying to alleviate the chronic electricity problems faced by all Nigerians, and have packages that, given our generous financing terms, are affordable by a large number of Nigerians.

If you can afford to spend at least N40,000 a month on diesel fuel, you can certainly afford one of our systems, and get 24 hours of electricity in the process.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 1:51pm On Mar 19, 2013
I am a newbee in d solar stuff. i have been using a 1500watts PVtronics inverter with 2 pieces of 12v 100ah bluegate batteries for over 8 months and no regrets. Due to the recent transformer failure in my area, i recently got 6 pieces of 120w joy solar panels and a 40A PWM komaes charge controller. So far so good as i run my 300w lg fridge for 2hrs daily usually 11am to 1pm. pls any additional info on how 2 enjoy my set up is highly appreciated.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:13pm On Mar 19, 2013
is it recommended to buy special cables to connect ur solar cells to the batteries...considering the distance?... i intend to install my solar panels but they are going 2 be about 35ft waya from my mppt/battery..can i just use normal ac single core cable, the separate red n black type...or do i need to buy a special cable?

also is the price of the solar panel below ok? 114k for 2units of 250w monocrystalline panels?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 3:20pm On Mar 19, 2013
earthrealm: is it recommended to buy special cables to connect ur solar cells to the batteries...considering the distance?... i intend to install my solar panels but they are going 2 be about 35ft waya from my mppt/battery..can i just use normal ac single core cable, the separate red n black type...or do i need to buy a special cable?

also is the price of the solar panel below ok? 114k for 2units of 250w monocrystalline panels?

The cool part about mppt controllers is that u don't need really thick cables like the regular non mppt controllers, I stand to be corrected, but I always advice that a flex cable be used for ur DC connections, maybe in ur case 2-4 mm flex should sort u out.

For the. Pricing issue, I would like u to send a snap shot of the module spec, I am seeing really high wattage panels and low current being sold in nigeria.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:01pm On Mar 19, 2013
TotalGreen:

The cool part about mppt controllers is that u don't need really thick cables like the regular non mppt controllers, I stand to be corrected, but I always advice that a flex cable be used for ur DC connections, maybe in ur case 2-4 mm flex should sort u out.

For the. Pricing issue, I would like u to send a snap shot of the module spec, I am seeing really high wattage panels and low current being sold in nigeria.

Thanks

I sent you a mail....waiting for your response.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:10pm On Mar 19, 2013
earthrealm: is it recommended to buy special cables to connect ur solar cells to the batteries...considering the distance?... i intend to install my solar panels but they are going 2 be about 35ft waya from my mppt/battery..can i just use normal ac single core cable, the separate red n black type...or do i need to buy a special cable?

Alain is the price of the solar panel below ok? 114k for 2units of 250w monocrystalline panels?

General rule for this type of installation is to pick at cable capable of handling times two of what you intend to start with. You might never be able to predict what you will want to add in the near future. For example I started out with a 400watt panel now in less than 3months I am at 720watts and I still have some little capacity remaining in my 6mm cables.

I picked a heat resistant cable for my installation considering that it will be inside the sun.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiretiv: 3:50am On Mar 20, 2013
hi guys am new into the solar stuff, just installed a couple but am not getting the max benefits. I got 12pcs of 280watt panels on a 60watt charge controller with 16pcs of 12v 150ah batteries but my batteries still don't get beyond 49v at the end of the day. I see in George D pix having 57v which is amazing. I want to know if my set up is having issues or another charge controller need to be added. fyi I use same charge controller as George D, and my arrays setup is 2 panels in series and 6 parallel. thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 4:46pm On Mar 20, 2013
kiretiv: hi guys am new into the solar stuff, just installed a couple but am not getting the max benefits. I got 12pcs of 280watt panels on a 60watt charge controller with 16pcs of 12v 150ah batteries but my batteries still don't get beyond 49v at the end of the day. I see in George D pix having 57v which is amazing. I want to know if my set up is having issues or another charge controller need to be added. fyi I use same charge controller as George D, and my arrays setup is 2 panels in series and 6 parallel. thanks

Waoh!!! you are one power holding company yourself, with a little more investment, you will be an oga at the top!!! smileysmileysmiley

But i think we will need more information to be able to help you.
I will assume that since your panels are connected in pairs you will be supplying around 60 to 65V to the charge controller.
I will also assume that you have 4 strings of batteries with each string having 4 batteries connected in series.

If the above is the case you are not maximizing your mppt charger this way. Your expensive mppt charge controller at best is just working as an ordinary PVM charger. This might be one reason you are not getting more than 49V from your bank. No matter how you connect the panels to your mppt charger, you should have around 100Amps from the panels during peak periods of the day, are you sure your charger controller can handle this current? Each of Oga George's controller can only handle 60amps.

I suggest you connect you solar panels in strings of 3 panels each, this will give your charge controller a 90V PV input voltgae (Please check that your charge controller can handle this large voltage, my charger will not take more than 70V) For example i am using a 60V PV input voltage for my mppt charger and my battery bank is 24V.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 10:59pm On Mar 20, 2013
bodejohn:

hi,
sorry i have not recieved any mail, which addy did you send it to?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 11:12pm On Mar 20, 2013
kiretiv: hi guys am new into the solar stuff, just installed a couple but am not getting the max benefits. I got 12pcs of 280watt panels on a 60watt charge controller with 16pcs of 12v 150ah batteries but my batteries still don't get beyond 49v at the end of the day. I see in George D pix having 57v which is amazing. I want to know if my set up is having issues or another charge controller need to be added. fyi I use same charge controller as George D, and my arrays setup is 2 panels in series and 6 parallel. thanks

hi,
"batteries still don't get beyond 49v at the end of the day." i am assumiing you are doing a 48v on the battries right?

since you have 12pcs of 280watt, and u are using @George_D type MPPT controller, you should have "3 modules in 4 strings" just like @bodejohn just rightly put it.

The morningstar MPPT 60 can handle 150vdc, with "3 modules in 4 strings" you voltage should be about 110vdc aprox which is less than 150vdc, good to go

like i always say, "i stand to be corrected", we still dey learn this solar thing.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:27pm On Mar 21, 2013
bodejohn: @ Totalgreen, you are welcome on board.

I have since changed all my panels to 120watts and the results were very impressive. The 100watts panels are resting now till i can buy another charge controller and 2 more 100watt panels or maybe I OLX it.

My battery bank is 24v and I am not using a Sukam inverter. My panels are connected in 2 strings, each with 3 panels giving my MPPT charger an average of 60v.

Our "Oga at the top" (George D), it's been some time.

bodejohn,

lol! i've been a bit busy lately but i do always stop by to check activities on the thread.

you seem to be getting very optimal performance from your array, which goes to show just how much

effort you put into doing a proper research before venturing into your installation.

cheers and keep up the good work.

my oga at the top will certainly be pleased to hear about all this. smiley grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 2:32pm On Mar 21, 2013
TotalGreen:

hi,
"batteries still don't get beyond 49v at the end of the day." i am assumiing you are doing a 48v on the battries right?

since you have 12pcs of 280watt, and u are using @George_D type MPPT controller, you should have "3 modules in 4 strings" just like @bodejohn just rightly put it.

The morningstar MPPT 60 can handle 150vdc, with "3 modules in 4 strings" you voltage should be about 110vdc aprox which is less than 150vdc, good to go

like i always say, "i stand to be corrected", we still dey learn this solar thing.

The morning star MPPT charger might be able to handle the voltage but i for see that the current will be more than it can handle.
I think Oga George has 2Kw on the each of his 2 chargers.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 2:34pm On Mar 21, 2013
TotalGreen:

hi,
sorry i have not recieved any mail, which addy did you send it to?

We have been communicating....
You just answered my questions on the specifications of the items in your setup.
I will be sending you a follow up mail later
Cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:03pm On Mar 21, 2013

kiretiv,

you sent me a mail a while back and i offered some suggestions. i expected you to get back to me so we can go
further on this but apparently seems you prefer this option.
all the same, with a total installed solar array of 3360w and a 600ah battery bank, you should really not be
having issues at all.

i don't know how you wired your system but i will advise that:

1) for the solar panels, try and wire them in strings of 3 X 4 each. you will now have three panels in series
and four in parallel instead of 2 X 6 which is your present configuration.

2) how far is the distance between your battery bank and the solar array? what is the size of your cables?
try and reduce the distance between your battery bank and solar panels (shorter distance means lower voltage drop).
but if reducing the distance between battery bank and solar array is not possible, then consider upgrading your
cables to at least 16mm thickness (optimum size should be about 32mm really).

take my case for example. i started off with 6mm thick cables but over time as i kept adding more solar panels,
i realized that i needed to upgrade my cables so i changed out the old 6mm cables and installed 16mm multi-core.

if you have cables that are not optimal to carry the current supplied by your array, you not only risk fire but
your array voltage at the battery end will also suffer.

3) lastly, check that your battery bank is wired correctly. those 16pcs batteries should be in 4 strings of 48v
with each tied together. if you have them in any other configuration then you are doing the wrong thing.
kindly check some of my battery bank snapshots and see if you could replicate same at your end. when tying the
strings together, avoid the usual practice of taking one end to continue from where the last one stopped. install
the batteries in 48v blocks, i.e 4 each in series and then tie the positive ends of all 4 strings together. also tie the
negative ends of all 4 strings together. this will ensure that all four strings get the same amount of charging current
at all times regardless whether you're charging with phcn or solar (look up my voltage combiner in some of my pix).

if after you have done all this and the problem still persist, then remove the batteries one by one and check
their condition. you may have one or more dead batteries in your battery bank.identify the faulty battery
(or batteries) and replace it (them) and you'll be fine.

p.s: i left out the charge controller because i assume you know already how to configure it properly for a 48v battery bank?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 4:53pm On Mar 21, 2013

hi again,

please can send me the make or brand of the 280watt panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:21pm On Mar 21, 2013
bodejohn:

i didnt get ur email...pls resend..skyhigh0455 at yahoo dot com is mine
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 10:19pm On Mar 21, 2013
earthrealm:

i didnt get ur email...pls resend..skyhigh0455 at yahoo dot com is mine

Pardon me before I confuse the whole world, that reply wasn't meant for you. I have had too much of the oga at the top stuff.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:56am On Mar 22, 2013
abunafiu: I am a newbee in d solar stuff. i have been using a 1500watts PVtronics inverter with 2 pieces of 12v 100ah bluegate batteries for over 8 months and no regrets. Due to the recent transformer failure in my area, i recently got 6 pieces of 120w joy solar panels and a 40A PWM komaes charge controller. So far so good as i run my 300w lg fridge for 2hrs daily usually 11am to 1pm. pls any additional info on how 2 enjoy my set up is highly appreciated.
Oga George, thanks for the call u made on getting my missed call. Am still expecting ur input. But i wish i could afford an MPPT stuff. Well am managing my PWM.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:43pm On Mar 22, 2013
abunafiu:
Oga George, thanks for the call u made on getting my missed call. Am still expecting ur input. But i wish i could afford an MPPT stuff. Well am managing my PWM.

hello abunafiu,
it was a pleasure talking to you. for a 100ah, 12v set up, i should think you're already getting very good value for your money.
however if you want to go further than what you're doing at the moment the best option will be an upgrade where you may consider
adding more batteries (to extend your run time) and adding more solar panels so that you could allow the fridge to run a little
longer than two hours during the day.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by life707: 4:48pm On Mar 22, 2013
George_D:

kiretiv,

2) how far is the distance between your battery bank and the solar array? what is the size of your cables?
try and reduce the distance between your battery bank and solar panels (shorter distance means lower voltage drop).
but if reducing the distance between battery bank and solar array is not possible, then consider upgrading your
cables to at least 16mm thickness (optimum size should be about 32mm really).

take my case for example. i started off with 6mm thick cables but over time as i kept adding more solar panels,
i realized that i needed to upgrade my cables so i changed out the old 6mm cables and installed 16mm multi-core.
p.s: i left out the charge controller because i assume you know already how to configure it properly for a 48v battery bank?

@kiretiv,
Inaddition, ensure that the 16 or 35mm cable is copper and aluminium. Also ensure that there are no joints in the lenght of cable u will be using but if thats not possible make sure any joint is well taped.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 4:28pm On Mar 26, 2013
an idiots guide to mmpt vs pwm charge controllers.

http://www.sunpowerplus.co.nz/MPPT%20VS%20PWM.html
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 4:30pm On Mar 26, 2013
could some1 post a pic of the cables...u said 6mm....is is the normal house wiring cable?...or is there special dc cable....braided or non braided?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 10:31pm On Mar 26, 2013
earthrealm: could some1 post a pic of the cables...u said 6mm....is is the normal house wiring cable?...or is there special dc cable....braided or non braided?

It's me again,I would advice u do flex cables for all ur dc connections, a bit pricy compared to the regular non flex

My .02cent
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 12:06pm On Mar 27, 2013
How do I add a pic on this forum
My "choose file" is greyed out, I can't select it
Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2013
wonder y urs is grayed out, mine is not..see the pic i added below. mail me the pics skyhigh0455 at yahoo dot com.i will help u add it.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 5:30pm On Mar 28, 2013
earthrealm: wonder y urs is grayed out, mine is not..see the pic i added below. mail me the pics skyhigh0455 at yahoo dot com.i will help u add it.

Just to show u why its very important to put a breaker or cut of switch between ur charge controller and the battery and solar panels, I fried my Morningstar mppt 60amps just cause of my carelessness.

thanks

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 7:38pm On Mar 28, 2013
TotalGreen:

Just to show u why its very important to put a breaker or cut of switch between ur charge controller and the battery and solar panels, I fried my Morningstar mppt 60amps just cause of my carelessness.

thanks

Just as this is quite a loss that you would rather want to forget but I like to plead that you share with us some details of how this happened for our learning too.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 8:26pm On Mar 28, 2013
shocked shocked TotalGreen, pele o. That's one thing I fear. The thought of hard-earned money going up in smoke. What happened?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 10:10am On Mar 29, 2013
bodejohn:

Just as this is quite a loss that you would rather want to forget but I like to plead that you share with us some details of how this happened for our learning too.

hi,

it was a nice sunny day, just got Mustpower inverter and wanted to test it as a backup inverter to the cyber power, connected the battery, u get that large spark(to avoid this put a cut out switch, i dont like a breaker between the battery and controller, cause if the breaker is activated and the panels are still producing power, it might fry the controller, so just a cutout switch should do ) cause i do a 48vdc, i then mistakenly short the +ve and -ve of the panels when connecting to the mppt cotroller and BANG! i lost the cotroller, thats it really

thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (1683) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Samtobh(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.