Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,202 members, 7,811,541 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2048336 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (1684) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 2:36pm On Apr 04, 2013
earthrealm: nice...would also want to know the the price of 1 unit of the solar panel

Its 65k in lagos
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 4:44pm On Apr 04, 2013
hello akanniade,
you mean the price of original 280w suntech solar panel is now 65k in lagos?

kindly confirm,

thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 10:04pm On Apr 04, 2013
Yes sir, kiretiv got his at that price.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 10:22pm On Apr 04, 2013
George_D: hello akanniade,
you mean the price of original 280w suntech solar panel is now 65k in lagos?

kindly confirm,

thanks.

painful, i am a sharp fan and an importer of sharp panels, prices have really crashed this days, i use to sell sharp at N800 - N1000 per Watt, but now the prices have crashed.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 10:30pm On Apr 04, 2013
Akanniade:

Its 65k in lagos
R u serious, I bought mine for almost 120k in oct last year...the suppliers number is 08033106892 or 08027866492. Jide
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:58am On Apr 05, 2013
wow
Akanniade:

Its 65k in lagos
wow and am abt buying 250w monocrytalline panel from amazon for 55k ...the difference doesnt appear to be much o..is urs polycrstalline or monocrystalline?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:47am On Apr 05, 2013
hello akanniade,

these are the days we been waiting for indeed!

looks like i need to stock up on suntech panels once again.

kindly hook me up to your contact in lagos.

thanks!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 12:27pm On Apr 05, 2013

thanks!
Yes o GeorgeD, the good times are finally here. The guy's name is Arthur 07025803611. Am planning a new solar installation at my old man's place. Will post pix as it progresses.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 12:29pm On Apr 05, 2013
earthrealm: wow
wow and am abt buying 250w monocrytalline panel from amazon for 55k ...the difference doesnt appear to be much o..is urs polycrstalline or monocrystalline?
Its monocrystalline
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:07pm On Apr 05, 2013
spoke with the arthur guy..he sounded genuie and his prices seem fair..am thinking of cancelling my order from amazon, cos the price difference isnt much...and the waiting period is shorter too....am just a lil scared abt paying n then hoping the seller will keep to his terms n send the goods to you in as agreed via waybill........guys wetin una think..is it worth the risk?..see his website below.

http://desolarpeople.com/#Scene_1
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 3:11pm On Apr 05, 2013

thanks!
Oga George, if u dont mind i got my JOY SOLAR panels (120W) very cheap, i can give u my contact in lagos.
I also sent easter greetings 2 ur 0807xxxxxxxx50 number but got delivery report failed.
Do av a nice weekend sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2013
A word of caution on these cheap panels.

I bought 4 pieces of 100watts panels in lagos sometimes in December 2012, i could barely receive 200watts from them during peak periods. These panels are now resting in peace in my store as i write.

While I am not saying the cheap panels are bad, but the 120watt i got from here in ibadan performs at about 85% efficiency but costs around 360 naira per watt.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 9:51pm On Apr 05, 2013
bodejohn: A word of caution on these cheap panels.

I bought 4 pieces of 100watts panels in lagos sometimes in December 2012, i could barely receive 200watts from them during peak periods. These panels are now resting in peace in my store as i write.

While I am not saying the cheap panels are bad, but the 120watt i got from here in ibadan performs at about 85% efficiency but costs around 360 naira per watt.

Very true, i know of a guy, that supplies panels with "perfect printed labels of sharp solar panels from ALABA Int", by the way the have "stand by printers", for anything you require at that market. so its worth taking the extra time to investigate your source.

But after all said, panel prices have more or less crashed.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 11:35pm On Apr 05, 2013

@bodejohn, i corrently use 8 of such panels (120w), I also use four 155AH batteries. I comfortably use my fridge(330W) from 7am to 3pm(subject to sun brightness). My batt bank usually indicate batt full arround 2-3pm daily(depending on sun br). My controller usually read 24.7V every morning(6.30am).
so u see that i hardly drain my batt bank with my 120W LED 40in TV, 200W sound system and a fan(usually on btw 6pm and 11pm daily) but the fan runs till day brake. So i think the panels are quite efficient. I know all these because i was once a victim of fake 200w panel which could only charge a motor cycle 7AH 12v batt.
So give it a try but make sure ure buying from source.
i hope to post pics as soon as i get batteries for my camera.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 7:27am On Apr 06, 2013
abunafiu:
@bodejohn, i corrently use 8 of such panels (120w), I also use four 155AH batteries. I comfortably use my fridge(330W) from 7am to 3pm(subject to sun brightness). My batt bank usually indicate batt full arround 2-3pm daily(depending on sun br). My controller usually read 24.7V every morning(6.30am).
so u see that i hardly drain my batt bank with my 120W LED 40in TV, 200W sound system and a fan(usually on btw 6pm and 11pm daily) but the fan runs till day brake. So i think the panels are quite efficient. I know all these because i was once a victim of fake 200w panel which could only charge a motor cycle 7AH 12v batt.
So give it a try but make sure ure buying from source.
i hope to post pics as soon as i get batteries for my camera.

I was not saying that your panels are fake. I also trust that you are satisfied with the performance of the panels. I was just making a general note of caution.

Do you use the mppt charger in your setup? You can compare the highest pull you get to the total installed capacity of the panels.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:34am On Apr 06, 2013
bodejohn:

I was not saying that your panels are fake. I also trust that you are satisfied with the performance of the panels. I was just making a general note of caution.

Do you use the mppt charger in your setup? You can compare the highest pull you get to the total installed capacity of the panels.
@Bodej Honestly, am getting satisfaction from my set up. I use 40A PWM controller currently. i cooldnt afford an MPPT now, may be later, Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:59pm On Apr 06, 2013
has anyone come across a reliable batt tester....some bad batteries show good voltage with the basic volt meter, but fail to carry load when connected!....wud want to purchase a simple tool to test battery capacity/amp b4 purchasing any battery in the future.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 4:11pm On Apr 06, 2013
abunafiu:
@Bodej Honestly, am getting satisfaction from my set up. I use 40A PWM controller currently. i cooldnt afford an MPPT now, may be later, Thanks.

Ok, very good. Try and get a mppt charge controller and you will you come back here to give a testimony. I use 6 pieces of 120watt panels on 6 batteries and i get a full charge almost the same time you do with your setup.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:18pm On Apr 06, 2013
bodejohn..cud u give me ur email/phone nos..wanna ask u some questions skyhigh0455 at yahoo dot com is mine
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:14pm On Apr 06, 2013
bodejohn:

Ok, very good. Try and get a mppt charge controller and you will you come back here to give a testimony. I use 6 pieces of 120watt panels on 6 batteries and i get a full charge almost the same time you do with your setup.

Thaks 4 d reply,
i wish i could afford one MPPT 60A. pls how much do u think i can get one in lagos. Whats d make of ur panels, i mean mono, poly or what......sharp, suntech or what... Thanks. Enjoy d rest of d weekend,
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 9:16pm On Apr 06, 2013
earthrealm: has anyone come across a reliable batt tester....some bad batteries show good voltage with the basic volt meter, but fail to carry load when connected!....wud want to purchase a simple tool to test battery capacity/amp b4 purchasing any battery in the future.

my little experience, what works for me is just to load the battery with some heavy current drainer, if it survives 30mins, then u are good to go most of the times, still that's not a hundred percent guarantee, best thing to do is just buy a battery with a brand name and a date stamp, i am doing maintenance battery now.

u can buy http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMBOI0/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

good luck
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:26am On Apr 07, 2013
abunafiu:

Thaks 4 d reply,
i wish i could afford one MPPT 60A. pls how much do u think i can get one in lagos. Whats d make of ur panels, i mean mono, poly or what......sharp, suntech or what... Thanks. Enjoy d rest of d weekend,

I got my panels here in Ibadan, it's difficult to carry they higher watt panels because the are bigger than what a saloon car can carry. The panels are poly crystalline and i think they are branded some thing like Emerald. My 30Amps MPPT charge controller is from China, about 50k with dhl shipping, I have no idea what it costs in Lagos. I am sure other members of the forum can help you out on the price.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:19pm On Apr 07, 2013
monocrystalline panels are better than polycrystalline panels..... and more expensive too.they r more energy efficient too.
@ total green..i mean something u can do b4 u buy a battery..a tool u can use to test the battery....i learnt alaba marketers now have inhouse printing machines to print any brand name they so desire on any o their products...they just go to china n tell them to produce substandard appliances..without a brand name or a stick on brand name...then in nigeria they can brand it any name they want!...so its really tough.i guess am going ahead to purchase my panels from amazon..at least am sure the 250w is exactly 250watts.........@ 55k eash
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:47pm On Apr 07, 2013
Akanniade:
Yes o GeorgeD, the good times are finally here. The guy's name is Arthur 07025803611. Am planning a new solar installation at my old man's place. Will post pix as it progresses.

akanniade,
i called this arthur guy yesterday and i was surprised what he was telling me. first of all, out of his two websites,
one of them is not working. i tried sending him a mail but his email address kept bouncing. when i finally got through
to him on phone and inquired about the suntech panels i was shocked when he told me suntech factory had closed down!
he tried to introduce me to some other name brand panel of which he claimed to be a distributor. at the end of the day
i told him to text me a valid email address so we can continue our conversation but as at this time of writing, i'm
yet to hear from him.

strange i must say. hmmmmm!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 8:20pm On Apr 07, 2013
George_D:

akanniade,
i called this arthur guy yesterday and i was surprised what he was telling me. first of all, out of his two websites,
one of them is not working. i tried sending him a mail but his email address kept bouncing. when i finally got through
to him on phone and inquired about the suntech panels i was shocked when he told me suntech factory had closed down!
he tried to introduce me to some other name brand panel of which he claimed to be a distributor. at the end of the day
i told him to text me a valid email address so we can continue our conversation but as at this time of writing, i'm
yet to hear from him.

strange i must say. hmmmmm!

Hello GeorgeD
Arthur is more into contract solar installations. He installed a solar street lighting job i was involved with back in 2009. Since then I get my solar supplies from him cos he works with these items regularly.
As for not being able to reach him, all my communications with him is usually on phone. His business is not that big for a sophisticated website. His shop is at okota lagos. I am not sure about suntech factory closing down. Could just be a marketing gimmick.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:45pm On Apr 07, 2013
akanniade,
i thought as much. maybe if i was a novice in the solar business i'm sure he could have had a field day with me.

all the same, the project photos on his website (the one that is working) seems to cast him as a serious installer.

i guess he just has his own way of cutting his deals.

ha, ha! what in the world was he thinking?! suntech factory closing down?!

men! i still can't get over that blooper! grin

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 9:59pm On Apr 07, 2013
Oga George, from a personal experience, I think it is preferable to deal with the sellers who are big time installers themselves.
Some of their experience could prove valuable.

However I almost spilled my kunu just hearing that suntech factory has closed down. He might be referring to the one i once opened at my backyard.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
bodejohn,
being a diy person i may not really be inclined to consulting commercial installers - at least not
the type that tries to befuddle prospective customers with unfounded lies.

anyway the arthur guy lost my business with that unfortunate blunder. too bad for him.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 4:13pm On Apr 08, 2013

bodejohn,
talking about solar panel throughput, lets also remember that installation plays a major role in
deciding overall performance. most of our panels are not installed optimally. especially for those
of us who installed on the roof, it is very difficult to obtain optimal panel orientation mainly
because you must follow the roof inclination and house orientation during installation.

take my case for instance. my house is oriented in the east-west direction. while one part of my roof
faces north, the other one faces south. ideally i should install my panels facing south at 5 degrees
inclination but this i cannot achieve on the roof. at the end, what i did was a sort of compromise.

i divided the solar array into two parts. one part facing north and the other facing south. that way,
the front facing panels (north) catches the sun as it rises in the morning, while the back facing panels
(south) catches the sun as it goes down in the evening. i know the limitations of such an installation
and as such i'm not too bothered if my total harvested power does not reflect the theoretical total
nameplate power of my panels.

also, consider that the name plate power rating of all commercial solar panels are usually given at stc,
i.e 25 degrees celcius. there is usually a sharp difference in actual field values for such panels.
thus, if you buy a 200w sharp panel rated at 25 degrees stc and install it in your house with average
daily ambient rooftop temperatures ranging from anything between 45 to 60 degrees celcius and with a
roof inclined at about 45 degrees to horizontal, there is no way you can hope to achieve an output of
200w from that panel.

just my thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 7:09pm On Apr 08, 2013
Oga George, I understand that the installation of the panels is also very important but in the case above i was comparing the panels that i installed in the same condition.

Maybe because i was lucky to have a side of my house facing the southern hemisphere. I didn't notice the deep that the offset could cause.

I have wondered for some time why you needed a 2kw solar array. Obviously you would have required much less if you had a better view of the south.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:36pm On Apr 08, 2013
bodejohn,
actually, i wouldn't need this many panels if my panels were to be installed optimally. but there
you are. we don't live in a perfect world.

the only other option would have been to adopt akanniade's method of installing on a shed where i'd
have the freedom to determine optimum inclination and orientation for the panels without being
limited by roof structure. but then i don't have the luxury of space to do that.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:51pm On Apr 08, 2013
George_D: bodejohn,
actually, i wouldn't need this many panels if my panels were to be installed optimally. but there
you are. we don't live in a perfect world.

the only other option would have been to adopt akanniade's method of installing on a shed where i'd
have the freedom to determine optimum inclination and orientation for the panels without being
limited by roof structure. but then i don't have the luxury of space to do that.
@ oga george, i sent u a PM. waiting 4 ur reply sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (1684) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: alosbaba007(m), durodee(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.