Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2047333 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (1683) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 10:14pm On Mar 29, 2013
So you had not isolated the panels whilst tinkering? My brother, it could have been worse. Thank your lucky stars.

TotalGreen:
........... i dont like a breaker between the battery and controller, cause if the breaker is activated and the panels are still producing power, it might fry the controller........

Ironically, most controllers may have in-built protection for the scenario you described (tripped breaker).

Ideally you should have a breaker between panels and charge controller, controller and batteries and batteries and inverter that way you can isolate any 'section'. Pele.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigass(f): 2:23am On Mar 30, 2013
okay
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:34am On Mar 30, 2013
wow this is a big loss, for us newbies venturing into the solar mmpt stuff...fear don catch me...pls some1 shud post a pic of a breaker, am about ordering my solar panels, mppt charger from amazon...would like to include the breaker..so guys pls help
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 12:26pm On Mar 30, 2013
earthrealm: wow this is a big loss, for us newbies venturing into the solar mmpt stuff...fear don catch me...pls some1 shud post a pic of a breaker, am about ordering my solar panels, mppt charger from amazon...would like to include the breaker..so guys pls help

just get a simple cut out, between the controller and battery u need just a mechanical disconnect, just like the oga at the top George_D pic will do.

if you want to be fashionable u can get
http://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-DISCONNECT-CUT-OFF-KILL-SWITCH/dp/B00425NBRI/ref=pd_sbs_auto_5 - this is for 12V system
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002843011-Series-Rating-Battery/dp/B0000AYAFE/ref=pd_sbs_auto_16 - this is for 24V system

i just added it on my wishlist on amazon.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 12:52pm On Mar 30, 2013
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 4:14pm On Mar 30, 2013
earthrealm: ok, thanks..whats this one for?
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-EWFH-Single-Fuse-Holder/dp/B000KIR8M0/ref=pd_sim_sg_7

hi,
as the name implies, its a fuse holder meaning that you can buy any fuse type you require, depending on the amps you need, just nut it round the two nuts and there you go, you have a fuse, like i call it fashionable that's it. but i like it.

if you are getting it make sure you get the fuse you require.

example fuse http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-ANL100-2-Pack-Fuses-Plated/dp/B005EUTA3E/ref=pd_sim_e_2

i always stand to be corrected

thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 10:01am On Mar 31, 2013
TotalGreen:

Just to show u why its very important to put a breaker or cut of switch between ur charge controller and the battery and solar panels, I fried my Morningstar mppt 60amps just cause of my carelessness.

thanks
Does this mean high current from the batteries might fry the controller?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 10:08am On Mar 31, 2013
Hi everyone, just completed my solar power installation with enuf advise from oga at the top..GeorgeD and other solar, inverter gurus..
I have been enjoying it since January, though I had a lot of problems with the unprofessional attitude of the installer..
See some pictures

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 10:18am On Mar 31, 2013
Hi everyone, just completed my solar power installation with enuf advise from oga at the top..GeorgeD and other solar, inverter gurus..
I have been enjoying it since January, though I had a lot of problems with the unprofessional attitude of the installer..
See some pictures.

Powersafe batteries and trip lite inverter..48volts configuration

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 1:29pm On Mar 31, 2013
DaLover: Hi everyone, just completed my solar power installation with enuf advise from oga at the top..GeorgeD and other solar, inverter gurus..
See some pictures

Looking, looking... shocked shocked shocked
Can't see any picture smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 2:00pm On Mar 31, 2013
DaLover:
Does this mean high current from the batteries might fry the controller?

yes, correct.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 11:33pm On Mar 31, 2013
bodejohn:

Looking, looking... shocked shocked shocked
Can't see any picture smiley
Can't load the pictures from m iPad, will load them later
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:43am On Apr 01, 2013
March was a very good month although the Sun's irradiance dropped deeply towards the end.
I had a total of 2336Ah as measured by my charge controller. An all time high harvest of 56.064kW hr. I am not resetting the charge controller but will like to relish these moments and talk of the thousands.

Happy new month folks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 2:23pm On Apr 01, 2013
bodejohn: March was a very good month although the Sun's irradiance dropped deeply towards the end.
I had a total of 2336Ah as measured by my charge controller. An all time high harvest of 56.064kW hr. I am not resetting the charge controller but will like to relish these moments and talk of the thousands.

Happy new month folks.

nice one
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 2:24pm On Apr 01, 2013
hi,

is anyone in this forum using flooded batteries like the Trojan T105?

thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 4:28pm On Apr 01, 2013
bodejohn: March was a very good month although the Sun's irradiance dropped deeply towards the end.

Happy new month folks.
Haven't really been taken note of mine, I will reset mine today
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:55pm On Apr 01, 2013
DaLover:
Haven't really been taken note of mine, I will reset mine today

You need to take note of this data. It will help you to know how your system is performing.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 3:18pm On Apr 03, 2013
Battery installation with a 10kva stabiliser

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 3:20pm On Apr 03, 2013
MPPT Charge controller

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 3:21pm On Apr 03, 2013
Triplite inverter 48volts/ powerfull 90amps charger

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 3:24pm On Apr 03, 2013
The supplier based in PH was able to organise 12 units of 280watt panels,
we had to use flat bars to lay them flat on the roof

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 3:31pm On Apr 03, 2013
The batteries are specially designed for rapid charge and discharge, a must if you leave in an area with very unpredictable power supply,
The battries spec sheet says the charging current is 0.25I10 for a 6 hour charge(i.e from 0 to full)
The batteries are 190ah each, so they can take a charging current 190/4 or 45amps,
total charging current for the three banks is 135Amps

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 3:35pm On Apr 03, 2013
auto phase selector, built using 3 types of relays, relevany when nepa keeps changing the phase of power supply to the house...these has been serving me for a while but in the last few days I observed that the low voltage supply to the house has distroyed 2 the contactor coils..I now need to incorporate a funcationality to handle the low voltage.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 3:43pm On Apr 03, 2013
I was able to convince the installer to use a simple Change Over Switch for simplified isolation of the battery bank, while connecting the house load directly to nepa or gen

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:54pm On Apr 03, 2013
hello dalover,
congrats on your installation. i'm especially impressed with your battery rack design.
very compact and neat. did you consider installing a cut-out fuse between the battery
bank and charge controller and also between the solar array and controller? very important
for safety.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 8:13pm On Apr 03, 2013
wow nice one @ da lover!!!....how much did u get the 280watts solar panels?
@ georger d....what type of cutout do u recommend?..i learnt the normal ac cutout isnt good?..so which one do u recommend?..u hv an amazon link?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 8:47pm On Apr 03, 2013
George_D: hello dalover,
congrats on your installation. i'm especially impressed with your battery rack design.
very compact and neat. did you consider installing a cut-out fuse between the battery
bank and charge controller and also between the solar array and controller? very important
for safety.
Thanks, I got a near by welder to construct the battery rack, it was some learning though, he was able to achieve this after two attempts...
I use a 60amps breaker between the battery bank and controller and also another 60amps breaker between the controller and the panels.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 8:50pm On Apr 03, 2013
shithapuns: wow nice one @ da lover!!!....how much did u get the 280watts solar panels?
@ georger d....what type of cutout do u recommend?..i learnt the normal ac cutout isnt good?..so which one do u recommend?..u hv an amazon link?
The installer based in ph imported it from USA, they are suntech
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:02pm On Apr 03, 2013
shithapuns: wow nice one @ da lover!!!....how much did u get the 280watts solar panels?

shithapuns,

you can use normal phcn cut-out fuses for your solar installation. however, the problem lies with
circuit breakers mainly due to their design and mode of operation. normal ac circuit breakers should
not be used on solar installations. always use special dc rated types so as to avoid arching and fire
outbreak.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 10:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
George_D:

shithapuns,

you can use normal phcn cut-out fuses for your solar installation. however, the problem lies with
circuit breakers mainly due to their design and mode of operation. normal ac circuit breakers should
not be used on solar installations. always use special dc rated types so as to avoid arching and fire
outbreak.

@George_D: Correct!
@DaLover: nice one, send us snap shots of the mppt readings at very high current
thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DaLover(m): 9:41am On Apr 04, 2013
TotalGreen:

@George_D: Correct!
@DaLover: nice one, send us snap shots of the mppt readings at very high current
thanks

Ok will do, but it will have to be weekend when I am at home.
Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:31am On Apr 04, 2013
nice...would also want to know the the price of 1 unit of the solar panel

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (1683) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: kristien4(m), S4SOLOMON4(m), Ithaca(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.