Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,072 members, 7,818,201 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (546) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2063889 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (543) (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) ... (1694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hotdealz(m): 11:36pm On Jul 05, 2019
ceaser:

shocked shocked
Ojigbijigbi!!!
The in-built AC charger will definitely reach 14.4v or maybe 15v for a 12v lead battery. Now to place 14.4v charging voltage on the Li-on pack with bypassed BMS means each cell getting at least 4.8v instead of 4.2v max. Bro, you have been lucky for 3 months.

I have inadvertently shorted 18650s couple of times and it has always been a frightening experience each time. Now imagine those edgy lithium chemistry 18650s catching fire from overcharge.

All DIY 18650 setups that I have are outside the house. Even the factory made banks that I tinkered with by adding extra batteries are all installed outside the house. In freaking metal casings!
I got a voltmeter and I only charge the batteries to 12V maximum. I don't exceed that.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 11:03am On Jul 06, 2019
davodyguy:

Chief niyi

Needs recommendation on Reliable batteries 200AH.
Gennex Technologies do not have AGM or GEL, and I would havè gone for Quanta but they're not available either

So recommend another good one

Thanks

wait for quanta or contact Zeestone

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 11:18am On Jul 06, 2019
idsolar:

Thanks so much

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 12:18pm On Jul 06, 2019
davodyguy:

Thanks so much
My Luminous SMF AGM ba3s have clocked over 3yrs approaching 4yrs now with no regrets and still waxing stronger.........
FTA/Free energy(solar) rule.....
Cheers......
idsolar:

My Luminous SMF AGM ba3s have clocked over 3yrs approaching 4yrs now with no regrets and still waxing stronger.........
FTA/Free energy(solar) rule.....
Cheers......

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 2:33pm On Jul 06, 2019
Finally hooked up, could not get a DC breaker with amp low enough and voltage high enough locally but have found an appropriate one via AliExpress (20A/440v) so am running direct for now.
However I have a concern, at around 7:30 I was getting 440w harvest but now that I have turned it on with load, I am getting just a little above 220w and I am wondering why this is so. I thought with load the generation should increase, please what I am not doing right?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 2:49pm On Jul 06, 2019
ojeysky:
Finally hooked up, could not get a DC breaker with wattage low enough and voltage high enough locally but have found an appropriate one via AliExpress (20A/440v) so am running direct for now.
However I have a concern, at around 7:30 I was getting 440w harvest but now that I have turned it on with load, I am getting just a little above 220w and I am wondering why this is so. I thought with load the generation should increase, please what I am not doing right?

May be solar insolation is low or may be your priority setting is not right.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 4:28pm On Jul 06, 2019
mank1234:

May be solar insolation is low or may be your priority setting is not right.

Please how do I check solar isolation status? I confirm that my priority is set to solar only (as there isn't utility source for now)

Please what else could be wrong?

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 4:57pm On Jul 06, 2019
ojeysky:

Please how do I check solar isolation status? I confirm that my priority is set to solar only (as there isn't utility source for now)

Please what else could be wrong?

Thanks

Not enough sunshine.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 5:26pm On Jul 06, 2019
mank1234:

Not enough sunshine.

It's right on my roof, is it possible that it's throughout the day that it's not getting enough sunshine because I have not seen anything above 450w since morning. At the time of writing this, I am only receiving 0w sad

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zellfoxx: 5:36pm On Jul 06, 2019
ojeysky:

It's right on my roof, is it possible that it's throughout the day that it's not getting enough sunshine because I have not seen anything above 450w since morning. At the time of writing this, I am only receiving 0w sad

From this your pic, practically no solar radiation is hitting the panels at this time. And its obvious your panel tilt angle is waaaay below optimum. If you are in Lagos, I believe placing them with O° tilt would be best all year round.

Another factor you may have overlooked is one basic principle with long strings. Once there is partial shading on just a single panel in the string, whether via cloud cover or anything else, it drops the voltage of that string to a multiple of the lowest value recorded by that panel. Hence, you are evidently getting the least possible voltage value from the string, even before it gets to your inbuilt mppt cc. That's one reason for avoiding long single strings though.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 5:44pm On Jul 06, 2019
ojeysky,
seems from your picture, panel orientation could be contributing to your issues.
maybe it's just me, but i think your panels are installed backing the sun.
try and use a compass to get your true south direction and re-install your panels
accordingly.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 5:46pm On Jul 06, 2019
ojeysky:

This angle is off oo..

Panels are totally facing somewhere else..

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 5:57pm On Jul 06, 2019
zellfoxx:

From this your pic, practically no solar radiation is hitting the panels at this time. And its obvious your panel tilt angle is waaaay below optimum. If you are in Lagos, I believe placing them with O° tilt would be best all year round.

Another factor you may have overlooked is one basic principle with long strings. Once there is partial shading on just a single panel in the string, whether via cloud cover or anything else, it drops the voltage of that string to the lowest value recorded by that panel. Hence, you are evidently getting the least possible voltage value from the string, even before it gets to your inbuilt mppt cc. That's one reason for avoiding long single strings though.

You've said it all. Weakest link determine the output.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 5:59pm On Jul 06, 2019
ojeysky:

As posted above, orientation of the panel appears wrong judging solely from the picture.

What's the installed total panel capacity?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:09pm On Jul 06, 2019
Thanks @mank1234 @Dam5reey @GeorgeD1 we agree but the issue is that in the morning the sun is on the other side so I just choose one of the sides not knowing that I won't be getting any wattage in the afternoon.

@zellfoxx am not in Lagos, am in Ado-Ekiti by 00 does it mean my roof can't achieve an optimal harvest from sun rise to sun set and will need to setup a standalone?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:10pm On Jul 06, 2019
mank1234:

As posted above, orientation of the panel appears wrong judging solely from the picture.

What's the installed total panel capacity?

Installed capacity is 1500w (250x6)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:13pm On Jul 06, 2019
mank1234:

You've said it all. Weakest link determine the output.

I don buy market I guess way forward with minimal extra expense is what I can hope for now
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 6:18pm On Jul 06, 2019
ojeysky:

I don buy market I guess way forward with minimal extra expense is what I can hope for now

No not bad at all.
Change the orientation if there's no improvement then get someone to check if all the panels are ojay.

If everything is work well your harvest will be equally impressive. Partial cloud cover does not happen every time.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zellfoxx: 6:29pm On Jul 06, 2019
ojeysky:
Thanks @mank1234 @Dam5reey @GeorgeD1 we agree but the issue is that in the morning the sun is on the other side so I just choose one of the sides not knowing that I won't be getting any wattage in the afternoon.

@zellfoxx am not in Lagos, am in Ado-Ekiti by 00 does it mean my roof can achieve an optimal harvest from sun rise to sun set and will need to setup a standalone?

Standalone setup would be your best option. This is extra cost though as your roof pitch will not allow you reap the benefits of roof-mounted solar panels. At least you'll have longer duration for daily harvest. I also don't think getting adjustable roof-mounts will solve the issue.

Secondly, you need more panels in that string. So you can enjoy that your inverter. If you can hit 250V input at least, it'll save you alot of headache.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Intelcorei7: 7:54pm On Jul 06, 2019

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dkev: 7:56pm On Jul 06, 2019
can I use a 1200watt iron or a 1500watt water heater on the 3024 pip-gk (3000watt) inverter? would doing that be pushing the limits of the inverter?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 8:14pm On Jul 06, 2019
Dkev:
can I use a 1200watt iron or a 1500watt water heater on the 3024 pip-gk (3000watt) inverter? would doing that be pushing the limits of the inverter?

Of course, Yes.

I use 450watts Iron on 500VA inverter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:28pm On Jul 06, 2019
Dkev:

Ofcourse and infact I used it on mine today thinking it will increase my load and give me higher harvest from my panels unfortunately the impact was all on my battery. Hopefully this was due to the issue I currently have with my panel position
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2019
zellfoxx:

Standalone setup would your best option. This is extra cost though as your roof pitch will not allow you reap the benefits of roof-mounted solar panels. At least you'll have longer duration for daily harvest. I also don't think getting adjustable roof-mounts will solve the issue.

Thanks, I will start working towards this, especially budget wise (still wondering how much it will cost me), do you have a rough estimate for me?

Secondly, you need more panels in that string. So you can enjoy that your inverter. If you can hit 250V input at least, it'll save you alot of headache.

Ah! Migbe midaran grin I only bought this thing for future expansion ni; i had hoped to add up 4 panels every 1 or 2 years. This thing will really alter our budget o....lots of lessons learnt from this my solar quest!

Thanks a lot my brother
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:12pm On Jul 06, 2019
Dkev:

By the way since you seem to be using same series with mine, how is performance of yours? What's your setup like?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durumibaka(m): 10:25pm On Jul 06, 2019
ojeysky:
Finally hooked up, could not get a DC breaker with amp low enough and voltage high enough locally but have found an appropriate one via AliExpress (20A/440v) so am running direct for now.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dkev: 10:38pm On Jul 06, 2019
ojeysky:

By the way since you seem to be using same series with mine, how is performance of yours? What's your setup like?

I haven't gotten the inverter. I'm just asking questions to see if it fits my needs. I hope to continue with the 24v setup I currently have. 1500va inverter, 900watts pv. thanks for your reply

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dkev: 10:42pm On Jul 06, 2019
Dam5reey:

Of course, Yes.

I use 450watts Iron on 500VA inverter.
wait oh, 450watts iron? please I want, where did you get it? I have been window shopping for low watt iron and the least I have seen is 800w. is it a travel iron or regular sized iron

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 5:24am On Jul 07, 2019
ojeysky:

Do you see voltage from your panels? What type of charge controller do you have? How are your panels wired?
Do you have breakers between your controller and your panels?
Answer and I can speak more to my suspicions.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 5:26am On Jul 07, 2019
ojeysky:
It might have a PWM controller. Verify that and I can give you an answer
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harizonal123(m): 7:11am On Jul 07, 2019
I intend to buy an additional battery to the one I have been using for over a week now. Pls gurus in the house which one of the battery products is the best and pocket friendly that doesn't discharges quick. My budget is 90k for 200ah12v
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:27am On Jul 07, 2019
chris81964:

Do you see voltage from your panels?

Sure it's over 160v

What type of charge controller do you have?

It's an hybrid with mppt 80A

How are your panels wired?

6 250w bought brand new

Do you have breakers between your controller and your panels?

Not yet

Answer and I can speak more to my suspicions.

Overall I think I will try the standalone as earlier adviced, my concern though is that I hope that is the actual problem since that will be an extra investment.

(1) (2) (3) ... (543) (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) ... (1694) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: TechGeek777, oloet, gifted65, Spirit247

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.