Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (547) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2078276 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) ... (1703) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:28am On Jul 07, 2019
chris81964:

It might have a PWM controller. Verify that and I can give you an answer

Nope it's mppt for sure
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 9:44am On Jul 07, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Base load 2kw per hour and surge loads 4 to 5kw when water heaters, microwave e.t.c come on.

Why did I use solar panels to meet above and beyond my current and future power needs - reliability - I have not owned or touched a generator for the last 2 years at least and I am off-grid 95% - use mains electricity to power house loads only if available between 8pm and 3am.

Of all the power sources I have experienced solar power has been the most reliable - I therefore chose it disproportionately over other sources - now on a good day I make too much power and on a cloudy day I make enough power to get by.

The same amount to buy a 20kva Diesel Gen gets me 24pieces of 300w panels and 2 CCs with change to spare and near zero maintenance or fuel costs relative to a generator. So the math checks out for me especially as I am in a position to get panels dirt cheap.

What's the cap of your installed battery?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 9:52am On Jul 07, 2019
ojeysky:

Actually the flames I was referring to were tear nylon brand new cool. I have gotten used 300w from some seller on this thread in the past (won't mention name) but that was before I discovered that new ones are not as expensive out there.

Can u guys help some of us on very tight budgets biko nu.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 10:02am On Jul 07, 2019
zellfoxx:

From this your pic, practically no solar radiation is hitting the panels at this time. And its obvious your panel tilt angle is waaaay below optimum. If you are in Lagos, I believe placing them with O° tilt would be best all year round.

Another factor you may have overlooked is one basic principle with long strings. Once there is partial shading on just a single panel in the string, whether via cloud cover or anything else, it drops the voltage of that string to a multiple of the lowest value recorded by that panel. Hence, you are evidently getting the least possible voltage value from the string, even before it gets to your inbuilt mppt cc. That's one reason for avoiding long single strings though.

The last point u gave just righted a design plan in my head.. Lol.

I for just go waste already scarce insolation for my end.
Jah bless bros.

That's why i read almost every post here, whether i need it now or not. No information is a waste ni.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 10:05am On Jul 07, 2019
ojeysky:
Thanks @mank1234 @Dam5reey @GeorgeD1 we agree but the issue is that in the morning the sun is on the other side so I just choose one of the sides not knowing that I won't be getting any wattage in the afternoon.

@zellfoxx am not in Lagos, am in Ado-Ekiti by 00 does it mean my roof can't achieve an optimal harvest from sun rise to sun set and will need to setup a standalone?

Bros just make ur panels flat, without anything casting shadows on them from Dawn to dusk otan ni... We are at the equator so flat is ok for you.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 10:11am On Jul 07, 2019
ojeysky:

Sure it's over 160v

It's an hybrid with mppt 80A

6 250w bought brand new

Not yet

Overall I think I will try the standalone as earlier adviced, my concern though is that I hope that is the actual problem since that will be an extra investment.

Why not use some kind of props to raise the lower end of your array till a flat level is obtained? Maybe cheaper that way. Iv seen it done so on some of my coy's installations.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:54am On Jul 07, 2019
Trippledots:

Why not use some kind of props to raise the lower end of your array till a flat level is obtained? Maybe cheaper that way. Iv seen it done so on some of my coy's installations.

I have read that doing that won't help much based on my roof position (the stuff is currently facing the East)

Regards

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:55am On Jul 07, 2019
Trippledots:

Can u guys help some of us on very tight budgets biko nu.

You may send me PM

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:00am On Jul 07, 2019
Apologies if I sound harsh but to DIY properly you have to equip yourself with the right information and tools.

You can't *just choose one of the sides* - your panels ideally should be facing South and if South is not available then West or perhaps East and the ideal tilt/angle should be tending towards nearly flat in this side of the world.

Please download a compass app on yoir phone and determine where your South is and relocate your panels to this direction.

After getting the panel orientation right, please look to your cable gauge - you should be doing minimum 6mm at ~150v - I use 10mm as my minimum gauge - the thicker your cables the better

Next check each panel to be sure it is delivering voltage and amps properly and make sure your panel to panel connections are tight.

Finally please remove the SPD and see if situation improves - some SPDs malfunction or are miscalibrated and start shunting away power at too low of a voltage. It is possible also that your SPD is designed for a lower voltage application than you are using it for although I never studied the spec sheet you posted a while back.

This are some preliminary checks you could do - you want to identify the root cause of your issues before applying any fixes or spending any money so that you don't throw good money away.

ojeysky:
Thanks @mank1234 @Dam5reey @GeorgeD1 we agree but the issue is that in the morning the sun is on the other side so I just choose one of the sides not knowing that I won't be getting any wattage in the afternoon.

@zellfoxx am not in Lagos, am in Ado-Ekiti by 00 does it mean my roof can't achieve an optimal harvest from sun rise to sun set and will need to setup a standalone?

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 11:40am On Jul 07, 2019
ojeysky:

Sure it's over 160v

It's an hybrid with mppt 80A

6 250w bought brand new

Not yet

Overall I think I will try the standalone as earlier adviced, my concern though is that I hope that is the actual problem since that will be an extra investment.
Turn the load side off. Turn the AC out off. Does it do the same. As for zero watts your mppt on the inverter could be bad. It worked since you added the extra panels. Double check your connections if they are fine suspect the controller. If you have a spare controller test my theory.
An breaker between the controller and the PV is a must. Turn everything off. Turn the PV off. Let the inverter power down. Then turn the inverter on and then the PV. See if the controller wakes up. We have blown à few controllers up connecting directly. We removed the batteries with the PV connected and we got a firework show.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Desanta(m): 12:45pm On Jul 07, 2019
Hi guys.
I have 8 panels of 300watts each, 4 batteries (12volts each) of 200amps each and a 5.5 kva inverter. Can I increase the number of batteries to 6?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:16pm On Jul 07, 2019
ojeysky:

I have read that doing that won't help much based on my roof position (the stuff is currently facing the East)

Regards

ojeysky,
the bolded explains why you initially got a high output on your panels in the morning and it later declined as the
day went by. the sun rises in the east and sets in the west (every solar enthusiast should know this).
by midday, the sun is directly overhead and after that it moves away heading west. if you have your panels facing
east, you are more likely to experience reduced output anytime after midday.
for my own installation, i have my third array facing east but it was a deliberate choice. firstly, my south facing roof space
was maxed out and secondly, i wanted to take advantage of the early morning sun whenever possible. besides, i use
stand alone charge controllers on all my strings so that voltage drop on one string doesn't affect the others...

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harizonal123(m): 2:31pm On Jul 07, 2019
Pls which battery product is the best that last long , doesn't discharge quick and pocket friendly. My budget is 90k for 12v200amp
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 2:43pm On Jul 07, 2019
harizonal123:
Pls which battery product is the best that last long , doesn't discharge quick and pocket friendly. My budget is 90k for 12v200amp
go and buy alaba battery

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 2:43pm On Jul 07, 2019
3.5kw/48v Fangpusun xtm available at 500k with one year warranty.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harizonal123(m): 2:46pm On Jul 07, 2019
JUO:
go and buy alaba battery
Is that a name of a battery product or a place?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jamzig1(m): 3:42pm On Jul 07, 2019
Pls is there any supplier for efficient DC orbit fans rated about 15W?
Something like the picture attached that can work with 12V AC-DC adapter

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 5:52pm On Jul 07, 2019
chris81964:

Turn the load side off. Turn the AC out off. Does it do the same. As for zero watts your mppt on the inverter could be bad. It worked since you added the extra panels. Double check your connections if they are fine suspect the controller. If you have a spare controller test my theory.
An breaker between the controller and the PV is a must. Turn everything off. Turn the PV off. Let the inverter power down. Then turn the inverter on and then the PV. See if the controller wakes up. We have blown à few controllers up connecting directly. We removed the batteries with the PV connected and we got a firework show .

Not with the GK from MPPSolar. GK can actually work without battery and the battery is hot swappable. Circuit breaker is needed in case of short circuit however.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:05pm On Jul 07, 2019
GeorgeD1:

ojeysky,
the bolded explains why you initially got a high output on your panels in the morning and it later declined as the
day went by. the sun rises in the east and sets in the west (every solar enthusiast should know this).

Sure at least that am aware of, actually if I had gotten above quite high output I would not have bothered much but like I said, highest I have gotten thus far is 450w.
I am just waiting to get a few bucks to get the alone up and running for now I will live with the low output
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:58pm On Jul 07, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Apologies if I sound harsh but to DIY properly you have to equip yourself with the right information and tools.

You can't *just choose one of the sides* - your panels ideally should be facing South and if South is not available then West or perhaps East and the ideal tilt/angle should be tending towards nearly flat in this side of the world.

Lesson learnt and sure no offense at all it's fine to be harsh to get words out. Wish you were close to my location, would have invited you instead.

Please download a compass app on yoir phone and determine where your South is and relocate your panels to this direction.

I am using solarCT app though the app is suggesting that I tilt towards the North I will follow your suggestion.

After getting the panel orientation right, please look to your cable gauge - you should be doing minimum 6mm at ~150v - I use 10mm as my minimum gauge - the thicker your cables the better

Actually I made sure to use a good cable; it's a 2 core 10mm amoured solar cable

Next check each panel to be sure it is delivering voltage and amps properly and make sure your panel to panel connections are tight.

I will like to do this when I bring down the panels, but can I do the checks with a multimeter? What should I be looking out for?

Finally please remove the SPD and see if situation improves - some SPDs malfunction or are miscalibrated and start shunting away power at too low of a voltage. It is possible also that your SPD is designed for a lower voltage application than you are using it for although I never studied the spec sheet you posted a while back.

I have not even installed the SPD, waiting for my DC breaker to arrive before installing both.

This are some preliminary checks you could do - you want to identify the root cause of your issues before applying any fixes or spending any money so that you don't throw good money away.

Thanks a lot my brother, really appreciate the support and I hope this will be a great testimony for me eventually.

PS: Just in case this has any meaning; today PV input voltage got as high as 197v but then it will sharply go back down to 160v or 150v at times. Perhaps this is due to the shadow thing

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:59pm On Jul 07, 2019
mank1234:

Not with the GK from MPPSolar. GK can actually work without battery and the battery is hot swappable. Circuit breaker is needed in case of short circuit however.

Indeed and I even read it has an inbuilt circuit breaker but ofcourse it's always better to have an external breaker.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 07, 2019
https://mercurydirect.com.ng/product/mercury-deep-cycle-battery-200ah-12v-elite-200/
try this site 85k for 200ah . forget the proud guys here
@harizontal123

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:15pm On Jul 07, 2019
udy821:
https://mercurydirect.com.ng/product/mercury-deep-cycle-battery-200ah-12v-elite-200/
try this site 85k for 200ah . forget the proud guys here
@harizontal123

What did I miss? Proud guys you say? I see a bunch of very helpful guys here offering free solutions to people's problems.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 07, 2019
JUO:
go and buy alaba battery
referring to this. very offensive
@mctfopt

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 9:30pm On Jul 07, 2019
harizonal123:

Is that a name of a battery product or a place?

.. are you sure you're a Nigerian? lol

Alaba is a place in Lagos; where you can even see a re-branded version of yourself. Lwkmd4h.

Anyways, for 90k, look for Mpower Battery. it's a Chinese battery, but a good one. They're usually my low-end battery spec (my high end being Exide, Quanta)

I have about 5 clients using Mpower for 2 years plus now and another 2 going for 2years

Try and get it from Airwaves Ltd; they're the main distributors I know.

Another good low-budget option for you is Safepower (Indian) @103k

Cheers

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 07, 2019
mcTrinity:

Alaba is a place in Lagos; where you can even see a re-branded version of yourself. Lwkmd4h.

Anyways, for 90k, look for Mpower Battery. it's a Chinese battery, but a good one. They're usually my low-end battery spec (my high end being Exide, Quanta)

I have about 5 clients using Mpower for 2 years plus now and another 2 going for 2years

Cheers
God bless you my brother for trying to help low income earners
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harizonal123(m): 9:52pm On Jul 07, 2019
mcTrinity:

Cheers
Thanks bro
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dragnet: 11:04pm On Jul 07, 2019
Jamzig1:
Pls is there any supplier for efficient DC orbit fans rated about 15W?
Something like the picture attached that can work with 12V AC-DC adapter
search for solar fan on jiji.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 12:32am On Jul 08, 2019
If you have a DC clamp meter you can do a quick test on the roof without taking any panels down.

First eliminate mains or gen and run off solar and batteries and place a decent load on your inverter. Go up on the roof, set your multimeter to read DC amps and clamp around each panel cable in your string - each panel should be putting out thesame amps as the others in the string e.g with 18amps from the main PV to CC cable, each panel in your setup should be putting out about 3 amps each when you measure around the panel cables - if you see any panel reading close to zero amps or less than the others, first check that the cable connections are secure and if after ensuring a proper connection things do not improve, then such is a suspect panel that should be taken down for further testing.

ojeysky:

I will like to do this when I bring down the panels, but can I do the checks with a multimeter? What should I be looking out for?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 3:42am On Jul 08, 2019
Where can I buy long lasting genuine and durable Inverter, batteries, solar panels and charge controllers in Lagos?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 4:45am On Jul 08, 2019
ojeysky:

You may send me PM

Done pls
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BRIGHTSOLAR(m): 1:11pm On Jul 08, 2019
ONLINE DELIVERY OF RENEWABLE ENERGY MATERIALS
INVERTER

MICROTECH INVERTER
900VA,12V N46,000
1.1KVA,12V N53,000
1.6KVA/24V N72,000
2KVA/24V N80,000
2.3KVA/24V N90,000
2.6KVA/36V N105,000
3.6KVA/48V N170,000
5.2KVA/48V N340,000.
5.5KVA/96V N340,000
10KVA/180V N790,000

PRAG INVERTER
1.1KVA,12V N70,000
1.2KVA,12V N90,000
1.5KVA/24V N110,000
2.5KVA/24V N125,000
4KVA/24V N270,000.
7.5KVA/120V N500,000

LUMINOUS INVERTER

1.5KVA/24V N58,000
2.6KVA/36V N105,000
3.5KVA/48V N210,000
5KVA/48V N340,000.
5KVA/96V N340,000
10KVA/180V N750,000

MUST POWER STAR INVERTER

4kva 3000W 24V N 220,000
4kva 3000W 48V N 260,000
5kva 4000W 48V N 350,000
6kva 5000W 48V N 400,000
7.5kva 6000W 48V N 450,000
10kva/48V 8000W 48V N 950,000

KEYE INVERTER
KEYE 1.2KVA/12V - N54,000
KEYE 3.5KVA/24V - N180,000
KEYE 3.5KVA/48V - N180,000
KEYE 5KVA/24V – N275,000
KEYE 5KVA/48V -N 1275,000
KEYE 7.5KVA/48V – N400,000
KEYE 10KVA/48V – N6800,000

HYBRID INVERTER

VOLTRON SERIES
1.4KVA/12(30A N65,000
2.4KVA/24V50A N97,000
3KVA /48V 60A MPPT N220,000
5KVA /48V 60A MPPT N310,000
7.5KVA /48V 60A MPPT N430,000
10KVA /48V 100A MPPT N750,000
15KVA /48V 60A MPPT N850,000
15KVA /48V 120A MPPT N890,000

GENEXTECH SERIES

2KVA/24V(600W MPPT) #138,000
3KVA/24V(600W MPPT) #149,000
3KVA/24V(1500W MPPT) #194,000
3KVA/48V(3000W MPPT) #202,000
5KVA/48V(3000W MPPT) #306,000
10KW/48V(14850W MPPT) #1,660,000

STABILIZER

VOLTRON STABLIZER
6KVA WALL MOUNT RELAY REGULATOR #45,000
6KVA WALL MOUNT SERVO REGULATOR #65,000
12KVA WALL MOUNT RELAY REGULATOR #90,000
12KVA WALL MOUNT SERVO REGULATOR #120,000

PRAG STABLIZER

10KVA WALL MOUNT SERVO REGULATOR #130,000
12KVA WALL MOUNT RELAY REGULATOR #120,000
15KVA WALL MOUNT RELAY REGULATOR #140,000
15KVA WALL MOUNT SERVO REGULATOR #240,000
20KVA RELAY REGULATOR #195,000
20KVA SERVO REGULATOR #370,000
30KVA SERVO REGULATOR #470,000

BATTERY

LUMINIOUS BATTERY 12V/200AH N 125,000
LONG BATTERY 12V/200AH N 120,000
MONBAT BATTERY 12V/200AH N 125,000
ELSON BATTERY 12V/200AH N 115,000
MICROTEC BATTERY 12V/200AH N 105,000
M POWER BATTERY 12V/200AH N 115,000
EASTMAN 12V/200AH TALL TUBULAR BATTERY N115,000
GLT BATTERY 12V/200AH N 90,000
ZEEDIX BATTERY 12V/200AH N 95,000
RITAR BATTERY 12V/200AH N 130,000
PRAG BATTERY 12V/200AH N 140,000
GENUS BATTERY 12V/200AH N125,000
RITAR 200A BATTERY .......................N 115,000
MOTOMA 200A BATTERY ................N 120,000
CINEMAX 200A BATTERY ................N 120,000
QUANTA BATTERY 12V/200AH N 140,000
ALIGRAND 200A BATTERY ................N 120,000
NPP 200A BATTERY ................N 120,000

BATTERY RACK
BATTERY RACK 2 BATTERY N 15,000
BATTERY RACK 4 BATTERIES N 30,000
BATTERY RACK 8 BATTERIES N 50,000

CHARGE CONTROLLER

ROY SOLAR SERIES
20A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER N 20,000
30A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER N 25,000
40A 48v PWM controller (LED) N 50,000
30A 96v PWM controller (LCD) N 120,000
60A 48v PWM controller (LCD) N 95,000

COWIN SERIES
20A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER N 15,000
30A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER N 20,000
40A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER N 25,000
50A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER N 32,000
60A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER N 41,000
40A 48v PWM controller (LED) N 25,000
50A 48v PWM controller (LED) N 32,000
60A 48v PWM controller (LED) N 50,000

COWIN MPPT SERIES

40A 12/24/48v MPPT controller (LCD) N 80,000
60A 12/24/48V MPPT controller (LCD) N 130,000

EPEVER MPPT SERIES
12/24/48 /45A N 145,000
12/24/48 /60A N155,000

SRNE MPPT
12/24/36/48V/60A N115,000

FANGUNPSUN MPPT SERIES
30A 24V N40,000
60A 48v N140,000
80A 48v N170,000

SOLAR PANELS

JOY SOLAR PANEL
150w MONO -N32,000
200w MONO -N33,000
260w MONO -N54,000

150w POLY –N27,000
200w POLY -N31,000
260w POLY -N52,000

TRINA SOLAR PANEL

300w MONO -N85,000
350w MONO -N110,000

YINGLIN SOLAR PANEL
100w POLY -N22,000
150w POLY -N33,000
200w POLY -N39,000
260w POLY -N51,000
310w POLY -N62,000

100w MONO-N25,000
150w MONO -N33,000
200w MONO -N39,000
260w MONO -N59,000
320w MONO -N74,000

JINKO SOLAR PANEL
JINKO SOLAR 370WATT MONO - N80,000
JINKO SOLAR 340WATT MONO - N70,000
JINKO SOLAR 280WATT MONO - N57,000
JINKO SOLAR 265WATT POLY - N55,000

ERA SOLAR PANEL
ERA SOLAR 300WATT MONO – N56,000
ERASOLAR 370WATT MONO - N72,000

CANADIAN SOLAR PANEL

MONO-
375w. N65,000 (BULK PURCHASE ONLY)

POLY
270w. N48,000 (BULK PURCHASE ONLY)

ACCESSORIES

PROGRAMMABLE Digital timer 15A N7,000
PROGRAMMABLE Digital timer 25A N9,000

BATTERY BALANCER /EQUALIZER 48V -------------35,000
BATTERY BALANCER EQUALIZER 24V ---------------#30,000
BATTERY VOLTMETER INDICATOR ------------------#1,700

DC SURGE ARRESTOR 800VDC------------------------------------N26,000

INSTALLATION KITS
L.FOOT N1,000 (MINIMUM ORDER 10 PIECES)
MID CLAMP N1,000 (MINIMUM ORDER 10 PIECES)
END CLAMP N1,000 (MINIMUM ORDER 10 PIECES)

DC IRON 150WATTS #9,000

COMPLETE SOLAR SOLUTION

Call-07058562938 Bright Energy

WHATSSAP 08187995847
FOR PURCHASE/ DELIVERY /INSTALLATION NATIONWIDE

https:///send?phone=2348187995847

www.brightsenergy.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) ... (1703) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.