Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,224 members, 7,829,372 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (568) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2088907 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (565) (566) (567) (568) (569) (570) (571) ... (1707) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 7:43am On Aug 09, 2019
BetaTechnicians:

Real Nice Design, would save your template cheesy .

Which meters are those two?
How/do you isolate the PV without glitch under load/during sunlight? as you stated near the changeover.

the text on the sticker mentioned a PV breaker somewhere. he switches off the breaker, before changing battery selector I believe..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harizonal123(m): 7:45am On Aug 09, 2019
olaolu11:

Meaning the changeover must come before the CCs(panels to changeover and then separated to the two CCs)?
Hmnn. I thought i can just separate them and thus break the juice from panel via the CCs and spread on the batteries thus charge simultaneously. All im trying to achieve is charge both batteries. Old battery is weak and lasts 1.5 hrs after sundown. So im thinking i van use it with load during sunhours while new battery is unused and charging. Then at sundown after old battery shuts down, i can switch to charged new battery. Thats my target. But if i cant charge both simultaneously, then the proposal cant work.

Do you have a suggestion on how i can achieve the target?
You can put one change over before the cc to select which cc receives current from the panels and another one below to choose which battery receives charge from the selected cc above.
The idea charging both batteries at same time means insufficient charging for both batteries making them under charge & u know what that means. That is exactly what u drew but let the gurus come to our aid cos I'm still a learner cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 7:49am On Aug 09, 2019
olaolu11:

Thanks for the pics. I will post drawing of my proposal presently. Thanks

hi, from your pixs, you intend connecting 2 controllers to the same set of panels? please don't. bad idea. let the higher amp controller do the job. you do not have enough juice to keep new battery on float while you charge and use old battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 7:58am On Aug 09, 2019
lexi28:

the text on the sticker mentioned a PV breaker somewhere. he switches off the breaker, before changing battery selector I believe..

Yes I understand, but switching of PV under load? I have seen breaker go up in flames in such scenario which is why I'm asking if there's a fail-safe method for such.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:14am On Aug 09, 2019
ojeysky:

Oh really? Na wa o..... Let me disable scheduled equalization chap chap! Thanks o.
That said, I like to know why equalization is not good for AGMs can you educate me chairman?

this should be a good place to start, though few peeps claim it is good, they r in the minority.

https://www.google.com/search?q=should+i+equalize+agm+battery&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNG770NG770&oq=should+i+equalize+agm+battery&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.11924j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:07am On Aug 09, 2019
earthrealm:

this should be a good place to start, though few peeps claim it is good, they r in the minority.

https://www.google.com/search?q=should+i+equalize+agm+battery&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNG770NG770&oq=should+i+equalize+agm+battery&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.11924j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yes and that was exactly what I did yesterday and what I found is that it's okay to do equalization so long as it's done periodically. It was why I asked your opinion on AGM (VRLA) batteries just to hear your practical experience
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Holumiedey(m): 9:45am On Aug 09, 2019
eleojo23:
Please can someone recommend good external chargers for deep cycle batteries?
Try victron chargers. What's your battey bank capacity.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:58am On Aug 09, 2019
ojeysky:

Yes and that was exactly what I did yesterday and what I found is that it's okay to do equalization so long as it's done periodically. It was why I asked your opinion on AGM (VRLA) batteries just to hear your practical experience

ok, i wudnt, cos i believe that the long term effects which is boiling off of the electrolyte outweighs the short term gains of dissolving sulphates on the cells

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 9:59am On Aug 09, 2019
Holumiedey:

Try victron chargers. What's your battey bank capacity.
Thanks
Still trying to build up my battery bank...starting with a 100ah battery.
Victron seems a bit expensive
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dragnet: 11:22am On Aug 09, 2019
ojeysky:

are AGM same as VRLA ?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 12:38pm On Aug 09, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Thank you very much!
always welcome. let's know how your experiment goes.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 12:43pm On Aug 09, 2019
olopan:
Nice setup ...... looks yummy! grin
thanks Olopan...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 12:45pm On Aug 09, 2019
BetaTechnicians:

Yes I understand, but switching of PV under load? I have seen breaker go up in flames in such scenario which is why I'm asking if there's a fail-safe method for such.

a suitably rated DC breaker caught fire? well, that is strange. I have not had that experience yet. I switch off the PV breaker, then battery breaker each time I inspect battery terminals once a month. no issues so far. maybe the breaker was under rated or AC breaker.

gurus can shed more light on the matter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 12:50pm On Aug 09, 2019
BetaTechnicians:

you can also try PV Disconnect boxes rated 1000vdc, but the current rating may be less than PV max current. battery disconnect switches/isolators are rated 48v/300amp in some cases.
take your pick.
midnite solar produce their disconnect units suitably rated, though on the high end in costs.

I prefer a suitably rated breaker though.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 12:54pm On Aug 09, 2019
harizonal123:

Guy u too organise die. This is one of the neatest connections I have seen. The whole arrangement just look sweet & this is exactly what I intend doing.It is more like a power grid control station. Thumbs up

thanks very much Harizonal...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 1:10pm On Aug 09, 2019
lexi28:

hi, love your wiring and setup. those adhesive stickers, how did you get them? any hints?
thanks

Hi Lexi,

thanks for the compliment.

the sticker is not a rocket science... I simply prepare the writings with my laptop. then I print them and cut them neatly with scissors. #see pic

then I use transparent tape on the front and trim off the excess tape, then I apply the UHU Adhesive glue on the other side before placing it on the desired spot. the tape is to protect the tags

for the bigger ones, I laminate them, trim them before using the adhesive to glue them.

Cheers

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 1:23pm On Aug 09, 2019
BetaTechnicians:

Real Nice Design, would save your template cheesy .

Which meters are those two?
How/do you isolate the PV without glitch under load/during sunlight? as you stated near the changeover.

Hi BT,

thanks ...and please,feel free

those are DC voltmeters... each battery bank has its own, hence two meters.

There is a PV Array Isolation circuit breaker inside the Plastic breaker box (white in color). it has to be turned off before unloading the CC (during switch over)

cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 1:31pm On Aug 09, 2019
BetaTechnicians:

Hi BT,

now I understand your point. you're right but however, the breaker wouldn't go up in flames if you use the right type (DC) and the right size, just like Lexi has rightly stated.

nonetheless, in that particular installation, its only the positive leg of the PV array that goes through the 2-pole breaker (yes, its a 2-pole breaker). hence making the breaker over-sized. and I intentionally did it like that because I want the breaker to function mainly as an Isolation breaker.
NB: the breaker is rated 100A DC

cheers

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 3:58pm On Aug 09, 2019
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:41pm On Aug 09, 2019
mcTrinity:

Hi BT,

now I understand your point. you're right but however, the breaker wouldn't go up in flames if you use the right type (DC) and the right size, just like Lexi has rightly stated.

nonetheless, in that particular installation, its only the positive leg of the PV array that goes through the 2-pole breaker (yes, its a 2-pole breaker). hence making the breaker over-sized. and I intentionally did it like that because I want the breaker to function mainly as an Isolation breaker.
NB: the breaker is rated 100A DC

cheers

well my 63amp dc breaker burnt too, when i flipped it on and off a few times, while under load of about 800w to 1100w on a 48v system 3s2p 250w mono panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:50pm On Aug 09, 2019
A properly rated DC breaker is able to make or interrupt a live connection and absorb/suppress the arc created from making or breaking contact.

There is a certain number of make/break contacts of at least several thousands designed into your average breaker.

It is possible the issue you experienced was an isolated one or the breaker was an inferior type or falsely dual rated.

I once bought DC breakers on here and although they did not catch fire, they were very fond on nuisance tripping e.g a 63amp DC breaker tripping on a 30amp load

earthrealm:

well my 63amp dc breaker burnt too, when i flipped it on and off a few times, while under load of about 800w to 1100w on a 48v system 3s2p 250w mono panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by microgiant: 9:28pm On Aug 09, 2019
Dishtech:

1. Yes it can be connected in both parallel and series
2. The inverter is built by me without changer, I only charge it with sun using the pwm cc, by setting the upper voltage at 14.6v (or 29.2v for 24v system).
3. My charge controller is for 12v or 24v auto voltage recognition, every is written on the charge controller, I will sketch and send you later.
4. For your battery I will advise you use the same type and age ( new together or old together) because LiFePo4 battery voltage sensitive and can explode if charge voltage is exceeded. If your system is 12v, then parallel the 3 new ones and sell the older one but if 24v system Buy another one to add to the three to connect 2s2p. Or better still charge the 4 battery fully charged at 14.6v (check your battery labels for max. Charge voltage) then leave them for 24hrs then read the various battery voltage using digital meter. If the there remains the same then you can use them together.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Please note that the batteries are designed for laptop. It comes with an adapter for charging with a different connection, another positive and negative cable out with adapter connection laptop power socket and adapter with printer socket.

I don't know if it is the same type as yours.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 10:03pm On Aug 09, 2019
Dishtech:
For I have small package like that, 2 used 40ah LiFePo4 battery (10k each), 250watt solar panel (33k) 40A pwn charge controller ordered from China (6.5k) and a homemade inverter made by my self (7k), cable (3k) TOTAL #69,500. This power my 32" Led TV, home theater, decoder, my standing fan, charge my phones, and 4 Led bulbs. Am usually home from 7pm which my appliances comes on then, till 11:30pm or 12am bed time TV is off leaving light and fan till 3 or 4am when weather is cold fan is off leaving light till day break. If am home I equally use the system when battery is charged from noon and the system is running smoothly for 6 months going. Below are my setup!

Please where did you get the lifepo4 batteries?

Also, did you remodify the stabilizer or just used it like that?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 10:06pm On Aug 09, 2019
microgiant:

Please note that the batteries are designed for laptop. It comes with an adapter for charging with a different connection, another positive and negative cable out with adapter connection laptop power socket and adapter with printer socket.

Please, how much did you get your batteries?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Easylearner: 10:53pm On Aug 09, 2019
Good day everyone
Wanna ask some few questions...

How can I utilize this component correctly on a solar system

1. Mcb>> circuit breaker (do i need a circuit breaker when installing and if yes! How do i calculate for the correct rating and the right position to place it)

2. Spd>> Surge protector device ( How can i surge my device, the right way to do it and what determines the rating)

3. Fuse>> when a mcb is already integrated in a system can fuse still be used or the mcb act as a fuse...

4. Is it compulsory to use a battery balancer

5. When connecting a battery in parallel, what's the appropriate number that is idea to connect (i heard 3 column)

I'm asking before i burn my house or spoil the devices.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Horlaarsco: 2:18am On Aug 10, 2019
Hello guys please my final year project is setting up a solar system for a modern office.. Please anyone who can put me through on doing this i plan to get the components on monday

1. 1kva inverter
2. 250 or 300 waats solar panel
3. PWM Charge Controller
4. 100Amps battery

is there anything else to get and how do i set it up and are they all compatible with each other i dont mind a contact of someone i can buy from ..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 7:57am On Aug 10, 2019
mcTrinity:

Hi Lexi,

thanks for the compliment.

the sticker is not a rocket science... I simply prepare the writings with my laptop. then I print them and cut them neatly with scissors. #see pic

then I use transparent tape on the front and trim off the excess tape, then I apply the UHU Adhesive glue on the other side before placing it on the desired spot. the tape is to protect the tags

for the bigger ones, I laminate them, trim them before using the adhesive to glue them.

Cheers

thanks, nice inexpensive trick. very professional result. you're good!

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 8:34am On Aug 10, 2019
Horlaarsco:
Hello guys please my final year project is setting up a solar system for a modern office.. Please anyone who can put me through on doing this i plan to get the components on monday

1. 1kva inverter
3. PWM Charge Controller
4. 100Amps battery

is there anything else to get and how do i set it up and are they all compatible with each other i dont mind a contact of someone i can buy from ..

hi, congrats you have come this far.

1. your inverter and batteries have operating voltage of 12v I assume?

2. the 250-300w panel operates best at 24v.

3. your pwm is most likely a 12-24v auto controller.

4. if the inverter is confirmed as operating on 12v, I suggest you buy 150-160w panels instead.
5. if you are using only one 100ah battery, optimum charging current (C/10) is 100/10= 10amps. your panels must produce MORE than this, taking into account efficiency of the panel and insulation levels at your location.

6. the maximum current from a 150w panel is less than 10a, about 7-8amps depending on the brand. so you will need more than just one panel. taking onto account, your location which determines hours of insolation available and probable time of use of the inverter ( most likely daytime - since it is an office)...you may need at least 2-3nos of 150w panel.

7. panels are oversized to subsidize the current required by daytime connected loads, like office equipment. this method prevents entire current to my exceed safe discharge rate of the batteries.

8. safe discharge rate is max C/20 of the total capacity of the batteries installed. e.g 100ah has a safe discharge rate of 100/20= 5amps DC. at 12v that is a equivalent to a load of 12*5= 60w.

9. so in summary, you will require
1nos 1kv/12v inverter
1nos 30a pwm controller
1nos 100ah battery
2/3nos 150w panels( connected IN PARALLEL)
installation accessories like DC breakers are usually standard.
you need a breaker to be able to isolate the PV unit.
you need a breaker to be able to isolate the batteries too.
a SPD ( surge protective device) is usually required on both AC& DC sides of the system. this greatly increases cost.

cables:
PV cables: you go for 3nos panels, you need cables to bear 1.25*Isc*3 amps. let's say Isc(check panel specs at the back of the panel) is 9amps, you will need cable that can safely conduct 9*1.25*3= 33.75a at 12v over THE REQUIRED DISTANCE FROM LOCATION OF PV TO YOUR CONTROLLER. use a minimum of 10mm PV flex ( student price - just go for full core ordinary 10mm not flex, to save cost)

Battery cables: I doubt you will load the 1kv to its load rating. however your DC BATTERY cables must be rated for the highest continuous load current expected. so that's 1000/12 = 83amps at 12v. (practically a 25mm cable should do)

there are actually websites where you could check the required gauge of cables for DC projects. you can surf the web for that.

since it is a school project you need not go ballistic in expenses, you are required to demonstrate working proof of concept. so leave out the american brands of stuff. a visit to Alaba will suffice or some good natured vendor here will do the us the honor of giving you a student discount.

peeps, let's get our guy over the line!

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 9:03am On Aug 10, 2019
Horlaarsco:

1. 1kva inverter
3. PWM Charge Controller
4. 100Amps battery

CONNECTION.
1. determine where your panels are to be located. try to find a place not shaded by trees or tall buildings.

2. the panel is usually tilted to incline at 15° and should ideally face south, since we are in the northern hemisphere. the incline allows for runoff of water & dust, and also to optimal capture of sunlight

3. if being placed on a roof, its better to mount on a rack, rather than tie the panels with binding wire to roofing sheet nails. aluminium profiles cost about 2k per length, I think one & half length should do the trick. they also sell shelf tacks for like #30/pc to secure the profile to the roof. you will need a strip of flash band or silicon sealant ( flash band costs about 200-300/yard. silicon sealant costs about 1k/PC)

3. if its pole mounted, you will require 2.5" black pipe, for 4 stands, 1 length 2"*2" black pipe for cross arms and braces to tack/screw down the panels to the cross arms.

4. try to ensure the panels are located as close as possible to where your charge controller will be.

5. connect your 3panels in parallel. guess you know how that is done.

6. lead cables to where controller is.

7. mount controller on a wall, use small size MDF as backdrop or small piece of meter board wood. affix controller to the wood.

8. try to find a well ventilated space to place batteries, controller & inverter. they are best to be in close proximity.

9. your inverter should come with dc wires terminated with cable lugs. get another pair of cables, terminate them with cable lugs. identify the positive with red tape.

10. ensure that the chosen controller has input terminals large enough to accept battery cable size. if not, downsize your cables to largest that can be accepted by your controller, usually 16mm for the small cheap chinko controllers.

11. FOR A SIMPLE SCHOOL PROJECT: connect in this sequence. pair of wires from batteries to controller first, ( your controller should auto detect the battery voltage), then incoming pair of cables from PV to controller. BREAKERS HAVE BEEN OMITTED

12. if you decide to connect breakers, then connection is:
inverter - battery
battery - battery breaker - controller
* there will be 2 cable lugs on each battery terminal
then
PV - PV breaker - controller
note: a breaker is connected on the positive line if using a single pole breaker.

that is basically how it goes.

hope you get the flow.

best of luck!!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:21am On Aug 10, 2019
Easylearner:
Good day everyone
Wanna ask some few questions...

How can I utilize this component correctly on a solar system

1. Mcb>> circuit breaker (do i need a circuit breaker when installing and if yes! How do i calculate for the correct rating and the right position to place it)

2. Spd>> Surge protector device ( How can i surge my device, the right way to do it and what determines the rating)

3. Fuse>> when a mcb is already integrated in a system can fuse still be used or the mcb act as a fuse...

4. Is it compulsory to use a battery balancer

5. When connecting a battery in parallel, what's the appropriate number that is idea to connect (i heard 3 column)

I'm asking before i burn my house or spoil the devices.

I'll try to answer this as briefly as possible.

1: The circuit breaker size is dependent on what you are protecting. Eg use 125 percent of the continuous load (maximum current expected to last for three hours or more). For instance, if your maximum load current drawn is 10a, 125% of it is 12.5A, then in that application, you can use a 16A breaker.

2. Your surge rating is usually rated in kilo amps (kA). Because most SPDs on the market use a metal-oxide varistor (MOV), if a 10kA SPD experiences a 10kA surge, it means it'll use 100% of its capacity and will usually display red on the display window which means it is due for replacement. In the market, the higher the kA value of SPD, the higher the cost. So you can just go with either a 20kA capacity or 40kA. Ensure you have a good earth before installing an SPD.

3. You can still add a fuse if you can afford one. The more the protective device, the better your system. Just ensure it is rated accordingly so you don't overfuse (in which case the fuse won't melt on fault current) or under size(in which case the fuse constantly melts even when carrying the normal current).

4. It is not compulsory to use a battery balancer, but good ones which is adequately installed have proven to elongate battery lifespan. If you want to put one, ensure you do at the start of the installation and the battery is of the same make and age.

5. In theory, you can connect an infinite number of batteries in parallel. In practical, the more the number of batteries connected in parallel, the bigger the cross section of cables used to handle the higher amperage involved. So you can safely have more than three parallel as long as you obey the rule of the paralleling batteries and ensure the right size of cable is in use.

If you are in doubt, always check in with professionals around your area as it is never good to dabble in things of this nature which may be dangerous if not properly done.

Experts in the house are free to weigh in. I'm not an expert grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dishtech(m): 10:04am On Aug 10, 2019
microgiant:

Yes it has separate pairs cables one for charging and the other for supply. It has internal BMS, Connect your Charging Port to to your CC and set the required voltage for charging.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by microgiant: 10:06am On Aug 10, 2019
Dishtech:

Yes it has separate pairs cables one for charging and the other for supply. It has internal BMS, Connect your Charging Port to to your CC and set the required voltage for charging.

Thanks a lot.

(1) (2) (3) ... (565) (566) (567) (568) (569) (570) (571) ... (1707) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: walexsos and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.