Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (770) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2069378 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) (772) (773) ... (1697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:57am On Jun 14, 2020
Justin288:

I rather do DIY than buy some of these fancy lithium packages. I first learnt about lithium on this group 10months ago and started researching and getting all the devices I needed gradually. Last week able to setup my 15s120p. 230Ah tested.
With plans for 5 rows of 15s expansion.
At least I know what am dealing with.
Covid 19 Lockdown helped sha.

Wow! I am still trying to understand why doing they many pieces of lithium is preferred over getting the bigger prismatic cells of LFP? I see you are running MPP, that's cool apparently we have many MPP users here cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 10:01am On Jun 14, 2020
Justin288:

I rather do DIY than buy some of these fancy lithium packages. I first learnt about lithium on this group 10months ago and started researching and getting all the devices I needed gradually. Last week able to setup my 15s120p. 230Ah tested.
Batrium
That's some pretty nifty (and expensive) equipment you've got going there
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Christgalaxy(m): 10:14am On Jun 14, 2020
One year old lithium 3s
101p generator

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 10:22am On Jun 14, 2020
Saipro:

Yingli never ceases to impress

ooh, you are team yingli too?, too bad. i got the memo late grin
yours poly or mono?.

wudda made a lot of noise/advert for them, but they aint paying me a cent for endorement/advert, so amma keep my big mouth shut grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 10:25am On Jun 14, 2020
Lithium batteries are made for periods like this when the sun hides behind the clouds for most parts of the day; faster and more efficient charging, tolerate deeper DOD, and lithium is happier with partial charge, no fear of sulphation. Just keep an eye on your discharge levels and don't go beyond critical. In my lead acid days, I will be using NEPA or firing my generator by now.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:25am On Jun 14, 2020
Justin288:

I like this. You are doing well.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:22am On Jun 14, 2020
NEW STOCK UPDATE! HURRY !!!

Brand New USA Trojan batteries 12v 205a & 6v 315a now available at discounted price .

Bulk purchase from 8 units upwards attracts more discount !

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL::: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:54am On Jun 14, 2020
GeorgeD1:

Hello essegis,
I see niyi and JUO already done justice to this. Sorry I'm just seeing your post now.
Yes, I'm using the tristar meter hub which combines my total solar harvest from 4 charge controllers...
For cable size, I have 3pcs 75mm diameter cables feeding in from the battery bank to the inverter...
As for number of panels/ratings, that would be 48pcs, with 24pcs 315w Solarworld panels from kiekie and 24pcs 330w Canadian Solar from Gennex...

Good stuff ! Kudos Boss
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by CTechHub(m): 11:56am On Jun 14, 2020
Good afternoon all,

I'm a student but currently due to the lockdown, I decided to use the free time to acquire some I.T skills online.

Unfortunately, lack of steady light is now a huge drawback. I cannot comfortable learn/practise everyday

please I'd appreciate anyone that could make an estimate of what it'll cost me to setup an alternative power source like solar or anyone.

I only use Laptop, phone and fan

Thank you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 12:15pm On Jun 14, 2020
earthrealm:

ooh, you are team yingli too?, too bad. i got the memo late grin
yours poly or mono?.

wudda made a lot of noise/advert for them, but they aint paying me a cent for endorement/advert, so amma keep my big mouth shut grin

Where did u buy from. I need ohhhh
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AshipaEk0: 1:15pm On Jun 14, 2020
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AshipaEk0: 1:35pm On Jun 14, 2020
AshipaEk0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnQ87Fvsk4

When companies start building these things in portable packages like this without fancy needs, with clear ratings and capacities with protection.

One can imagine them coming in sizes and capacities like petrol generators.

then RE will gain proper traction in poor Africa

These fancy setups and builds that require Engineering degrees that you enthusiasts are doing are not the way forward for mass adoption grin grin grin grin

Then solar panels will be a standard feature in houses and you'll just bring your own gen and plug it in to charge
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 2:44pm On Jun 14, 2020
AshipaEk0:

When companies start building these things in portable packages like this without fancy needs, with clear ratings and capacities with protection.

One can imagine them coming in sizes and capacities like petrol generators.

then RE will gain proper traction in poor Africa

These fancy setups and builds that require Engineering degrees that you enthusiasts are doing are not the way forward for mass adoption grin grin grin grin

Then solar panels will be a standard feature in houses and you'll just bring your own gen and plug it in to charge

There's MTN Lumos . Also there's other easy DIY processes that those with little education can put together. Eg buying these 3.2V LFP cells and getting busbars and BMS does not exactly require an engineering degree to put it together grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AshipaEk0: 3:59pm On Jun 14, 2020
mctfopt:

There's MTN Lumos . Also there's other easy DIY processes that those with little education can put together. Eg buying these 3.2V LFP cells and getting busbars and BMS does not exactly require an engineering degree to put it together grin

MTN Lumos is a product of ignorance and a failed product clearly.

compare it with this one in the video grin this is a proper setup.

This will replace a small generator easily with no need for the owner to even know how it works

How many people buy generators and even know anything about it beyond pouring fuel. Thats the type of person i mean. If you know about cells and bus bar, you are not in that demographic

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 4:17pm On Jun 14, 2020
mctfopt:

Lumos is a scam and a total waste of money. People who bought into it simply didn't know what they were doing. In a village without grid where there is just a need for children to read in the night, it may make some little sense.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 5:08pm On Jun 14, 2020
AshipaEk0:

MTN Lumos is a product of ignorance and a failed product clearly.

compare it with this one in the video grin this is a proper setup.

This will replace a small generator easily with no need for the owner to even know how it works

How many people buy generators and even know anything about it beyond pouring fuel. Thats the type of person i mean. If you know about cells and bus bar, you are not in that demographic

We have loads of good lithium solar generator in the market. Just ain't cheap. Hard to see a good lithium setup that is as cheap as a small petrol gen.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 5:09pm On Jun 14, 2020
adrusa:

Lumos is a scam and a total waste of money. People who bought into it simply didn't know what they were doing. In a village without grid where there is just a need for children to read in the night, it may make some little sense.

Lol at scam. But the product is "cheap" grin
Most of our people love it that "cheap". So MTN is there to fill that void in the market grin

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 5:56pm On Jun 14, 2020
mctfopt:

We have loads of good lithium solar generator in the market. Just ain't cheap. Hard to see a good lithium setup that is as cheap as a small petrol gen.

How many hours and years will the Gen last? On the long run, the 12v 105AH lithium will save cost than the small Gen while also saving from environmental hazards grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:02pm On Jun 14, 2020
ojeysky:

How many hours and years will the Gen last? On the long run, the 12v 105AH lithium will save cost than the small Gen while also saving from environmental hazards grin

Save the earth, go green. True.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 6:23pm On Jun 14, 2020
You can use this calculator to check how Long your Tubular and Deep Cycle battery should last @ 70% DoD( worst case scenario).

https://jekitech.com/battery-backup-time-calculator/

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 6:42pm On Jun 14, 2020
unicmarket:
You can use this calculator to check how Long your Tubular and Deep Cycle battery should last @ 70% DoD( worst case scenario).

https://jekitech.com/battery-backup-time-calculator/

Why would you want to discharge led acid battery(be it flooded, gel, AGM, mtn etc) to 70% dod?
For the record, the safest Dod for led acid is 20%, except u want to change it every 2.5yrs(for a very good brand ni o).

Edit: let me rephrase this, safest level to discharge a led acid is; whatever the capacity, only use just 20% of the total capacity, for longevity. Anything above that, cycle life decrease drastically.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:29pm On Jun 14, 2020
Oshomo12:

Why would you want to discharge led acid battery(be it flooded, gel, AGM, mtn etc) to 70% dod?
For the record, the safest Dod for led acid is 20%, except u want to change it every 2.5yrs(for a very good brand ni o).

I guess he means this...

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 8:47pm On Jun 14, 2020
ojeysky:

As humans, we are shifted towards the now. What will it cost me now. Not what will I gain from it in the future.

Only a few people have decided to look far and they are the ones with alternative energy. While the ones with the foresight to look even further are the ones investing now to get lithium.

Overall its not easy on the pockets.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 8:55pm On Jun 14, 2020
Justin288:

Baba, I give you "two hands up for one person".

This is impressive and worthy of emulation.

How do you source your 1/8/6/5/0s?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 9:58pm On Jun 14, 2020
165w Derik solar street light available, #20000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:00pm On Jun 14, 2020
200ah 12v Ride plus tubular battery available, #110000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 10:55pm On Jun 14, 2020
Oshomo12:

I think you are confusing things bro,

70 % DoD simply means using up only 70% of the capacity of the battery

I believe you are talking about SOC, it’s just like the reverse.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 10:56pm On Jun 14, 2020
mctfopt:

I guess he means this...

Boss: exactly, I really think a lot of us will need to get our facts right before posting.

Thanks I greet you sir
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 10:47am On Jun 15, 2020
Please i need help to understand this as a layman.

What make a charge Controller function as a 12V or 24V spec

Is it when you have a battery bank of 12V then it function at that level or 24V and function as same?

Or is it that, same way u connect battery in series to achieve 24V you can also connect panels in Series to make the Charge controller function as a 24V

Max. PV voltage: 50V

But can take 750w for 12V
And 1500w for 24V

This confuses me

Won't the Max PV voltage exceed 50V on 1500w panel arrays

With the 1500w 24V setup panels and charge controller can u connect a single 12v battery without any issue.

Make una help me explain abeg in laymans terms

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 12:12pm On Jun 15, 2020
spartacus11:
Please i need help to understand this as a layman.

What make a charge Controller function as a 12V or 24V spec

Is it when you have a battery bank of 12V then it function at that level or 24V and function as same?

Or is it that, same way u connect battery in series to achieve 24V you can also connect panels in Series to make the Charge controller function as a 24V

Max. PV voltage: 50V

But can take 750w for 12V
And 1500w for 24V

This confuses me

Won't the Max PV voltage exceed 50V on 1500w panel arrays

With the 1500w 24V setup panels and charge controller can u connect a single 12v battery without any issue.

Make una help me explain abeg in laymans terms

Your inverter set up determines the voltage.A 12 voltage inverter set up is recognised as 12 volts by the charge controller. Even ifbyou connect 2 12 batteries in parallel, it is still 12volt.Same logic applies for 24volts.

In terms of max PV Voltage, I guess the charge controller in question is a PWM.To use such,your panels have to be connected in parallel, resulting in high current but same voltage.Total additive watts for panels must not exceed the rating of 750w for 12v and 1500 watts for 24volts

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 5:04pm On Jun 15, 2020
unicmarket:

I think you are confusing things bro,

70 % DoD simply means using up only 70% of the capacity of the battery

I believe you are talking about SOC, it’s just like the reverse.

??
Like using/consuming/taking 70ah out of 100ah rated, right?

Recheck my initial post, and kindly rephrase urs.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 5:09pm On Jun 15, 2020
unicmarket:

Boss: exactly, I really think a lot of us will need to get our facts right before posting.

Thanks I greet you sir

The two battery voltage charts say the same thing, 70% = 11.75V....

(1) (2) (3) ... (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) (772) (773) ... (1697) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: TechGeek777, AndroBlaze and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.