Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Education: A Curse Or A Blessing - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Education: A Curse Or A Blessing (15459 Views)

Is Computer Education A Good Course / Education : A Solution To Nigeria's Problem / Basic Education: A Sine Qua Non For National Development By Seye Ken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Loonyy(m): 10:43am On Jul 07, 2017
education can be a curse depending on the definition.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Scholarifeoma(f): 11:34am On Jul 07, 2017
Thanks to everyone who took time to read, and comment on the post.

It was intentionally made controversial to get the opinions of different individuals especially the youth. You have said it all!
I agree with you, smart nairalanders with correct heads.[/i]

Education is not a curse and can never be a Curse.

The benefits of being educated can never be over emphasized. Being educated exposes and enlightens our minds to begin to view things differently.

It is often said “if you think education is expensive, then try ignorance”.
[i]

Point is “Education is not all what is takes to be successful in life”.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by musicwriter(m): 11:39am On Jul 07, 2017
First of all, there are two types of education- true education and indoctrination. True education has nothing to do with getting wealthy.

Generally, education is about the programming of the mind to be able to think and solve problems on it's own and go on exploring better ways to do it. But, this immediately poses a problem. Example; someone giving you education can decide to indoctrinate and make you do what they want, and have you forever doing what they want, instead of having you be an out-of-the-box thinker. Unfortunately, this is the type of education Europeans gave to all their colonies all over the world. The purpose of education in Africa is to de-Africanize you, to make you a fool - an educated fool. So, yes, education can be a curse.

This man (Noam Chomsky) is the most educated person alive. Watch him define education.

Chomsky on education.
[
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdNAUJWJN08

Chomsky on education and creativity.
[
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9PqnWSlt9E

1 Like

Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by AAinEqGuinea: 12:47pm On Jul 07, 2017
I agree OP. Your insight applies to the relevance of Education in America as well. Hardly anyone bothers with education beyond state mandated secondary (or high) school in my community. Even children question whether a degree or cert is required to learn medical, computers, electrical, or mechanical engineering seeing that they can take courses for free via open courseware from top universities, online self paced programs like Udemy, or simply chaining together YouTube videos. They, like you and i have awoken to a fallacy of education

I completed a MSc many years ago, but it was during my undergrad years that i come to the conclusion that i wasn't chasing degrees or certs to work for anyone, but instead to challenge myself to apply my degrees and certs where necessary. Your applied knowledge won't likely be sufficient to make enough money to eat when you're fresh out the university, so you may have to work a job not requiring a degree or cert. While working at some job don't lose purpose and make use of your downtime and you'll be fine.

1 Like

Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by wordsmith042(m): 5:08pm On Jul 07, 2017
interested 08184060960
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by romzyxy(m): 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2017
nice write-up...but I must say there is no problem with education like you said.... the problem is with people depending and channeling all their attention in achieving education as if it is the only option they have in acquiring knowledge not knowing that learning a trade or doing other things are also means of acquiring knowledge and making them self reliant.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by JhyMedex: 12:26pm On Jul 08, 2017
Scholarifeoma:

For info on how to get the books mentioned above, you can simply write “interested” as a comment with your phone number below.[i][/i]

INTERESTED... 08164297455
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by adelaw01(m): 12:05am On Jul 09, 2017
interested 07051491279
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by recruit4real(m): 5:46am On Jul 09, 2017
Scholarifeoma:
Everyone wants to be educated, there are great number of educated people in the world and yet we face even greater problems. Economic crisis, insurgencies, terrorists’ attack, prostitution, rape, looting of public funds, and numerous anti-social vices emanate and we do not know how to prevent or curb the effects of such problems. Education to many is the key to success but I would say that “purposeful education”[/i] is the key to success.

In this present century, I only but laugh at people who foolishly think that getting a certificate from a known university in the world is all there is to success.

Let me make a point clear here,
[i]

When you do well as a prostitute, you are successful!

When you do well as an armed rubber, you are successful!

When you successfully divert or loot funds which are meant for the development of the society or country, you are successful!

Doing very well in your kidnapping business? You are successful

Acquiring great wealth as a fraudster, you are equally successful!

I could go on and on![/i]

What baffles me is this, 97% of those who are involved in such vices are the “educated ones”. These people went to school, obtained the right qualifications, and made rather a terrible choice of life.

Note this [i]

Education is no longer perceived as something being acquired in academic building such as schools, universities, colleges, polytechnics etc.
Knowledge can be acquired anywhere;

I could say

When one decides to learn a trade, he or she is acquiring knowledge!

When you learn how to sew, make braids, and just about anything you can think of, you are also being educated.

This is where purposeful education plays a vital role[/i]

“Being purposeful means having a useful purpose, acting with a clear aim and with determination”.

What then is purposeful education?[i]

Simply put, it is undoubtedly, acquiring knowledge for a useful purpose.
A lot of youths today are educated, what matters is what they have decided to do with that knowledge.
Anybody who is purposeful and determined to achieve and be a positive impact in the society cannot and can never settle for less no matter what.

We all know that our economy is presently in a poor state. Do we improve the economy by committing more crimes?
We complain that government do not provide employment opportunity for us, and yet there are people who have succeeded in becoming business owners on their own without the help of our so called government.

The bottom line is;[/i]

We can all decide to make positive impacts in the country.
We can achieve greater heights if we diligently work towards it.
It is often said that “it is the you in you that makes you who you are”.

Are you idle? Complaining of lack of jobs?[i]

Get up today and begin to explore. Try out as many things as possible and you would be marveled at how life would smile at you. Awaken that sleeping lion inside you, think out of the box and if you think you do not know where and how to start, read financial and business books written by our very own Nigerian authors. I could recommend a few; they are- “small business big money”[/i] written by Akin Alabi (founder of Nairabet), “sell your brain”[i] written by Leonard Nzimora. And lots more.

Let us strive to achieve something in life, to discover our purpose of existence and become the agent of change we need in the country. It is only then that we can come up with solutions to most of the problems we face today.
Become that change we need in the country by changing your life first.

For info on how to get the books mentioned above, you can simply write “interested” as a comment with your phone number below.[i][/i]

Thanks for taking your time to read this interesting article,see you at the top my friends.

I am interested in those books
09052503139,that's my line. Thanks
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Edu3Again: 9:25am On Jul 12, 2017
zilon12:

cultists killing one another in the south is proof of education I guess

The North gives the South nothing.
If the North is not blowing things up, they are abusing little gals
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by JamesOwens: 4:06pm On Apr 19, 2018
It's a blessing. It forever will be a blessing. Thank god that i had https://paperell.com to help me. I hope that most of you will have it in your life.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NOUN Disowns Fake Exams Questions On Buhari. See the picture of the exam questio / JAMB Scraps Use Of Email For UTME, DE Registration / James Hope College Acquires American Intl' School Lagos, Offers Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.