Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Education: A Curse Or A Blessing - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Education: A Curse Or A Blessing (15458 Views)

Is Computer Education A Good Course / Education : A Solution To Nigeria's Problem / Basic Education: A Sine Qua Non For National Development By Seye Ken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by AmunaNo1: 7:09am On Jul 07, 2017
Scholarifeoma:
Everyone wants to be educated, there are great number of educated people in the world and yet we face even greater problems. Economic crisis, insurgencies, terrorists’ attack, prostitution, rape, looting of public funds, and numerous anti-social vices emanate and we do not know how to prevent or curb the effects of such problems. Education to many is the key to success but I would say that “purposeful education”[/i] is the key to success.

In this present century, I only but laugh at people who foolishly think that getting a certificate from a known university in the world is all there is to success.

Let me make a point clear here,
[i]

When you do well as a prostitute, you are successful!

When you do well as an armed rubber, you are successful!

When you successfully divert or loot funds which are meant for the development of the society or country, you are successful!

Doing very well in your kidnapping business? You are successful

Acquiring great wealth as a fraudster, you are equally successful!

I could go on and on![/i]

What baffles me is this, 97% of those who are involved in such vices are the “educated ones”. These people went to school, obtained the right qualifications, and made rather a terrible choice of life.

Note this [i]

Education is no longer perceived as something being acquired in academic building such as schools, universities, colleges, polytechnics etc.
Knowledge can be acquired anywhere;

I could say

When one decides to learn a trade, he or she is acquiring knowledge!

When you learn how to sew, make braids, and just about anything you can think of, you are also being educated.

This is where purposeful education plays a vital role[/i]

“Being purposeful means having a useful purpose, acting with a clear aim and with determination”.

What then is purposeful education?[i]

Simply put, it is undoubtedly, acquiring knowledge for a useful purpose.
A lot of youths today are educated, what matters is what they have decided to do with that knowledge.
Anybody who is purposeful and determined to achieve and be a positive impact in the society cannot and can never settle for less no matter what.

We all know that our economy is presently in a poor state. Do we improve the economy by committing more crimes?
We complain that government do not provide employment opportunity for us, and yet there are people who have succeeded in becoming business owners on their own without the help of our so called government.

The bottom line is;[/i]

We can all decide to make positive impacts in the country.
We can achieve greater heights if we diligently work towards it.
It is often said that “it is the you in you that makes you who you are”.

Are you idle? Complaining of lack of jobs?[i]

Get up today and begin to explore. Try out as many things as possible and you would be marveled at how life would smile at you. Awaken that sleeping lion inside you, think out of the box and if you think you do not know where and how to start, read financial and business books written by our very own Nigerian authors. I could recommend a few; they are- “small business big money”[/i] written by Akin Alabi (founder of Nairabet), “sell your brain”[i] written by Leonard Nzimora. And lots more.

Let us strive to achieve something in life, to discover our purpose of existence and become the agent of change we need in the country. It is only then that we can come up with solutions to most of the problems we face today.
Become that change we need in the country by changing your life first.

For info on how to get the books mentioned above, you can simply write “interested” as a comment with your phone number below.[i][/i]

Thanks for taking your time to read this interesting article,see you at the top my friends.

Formal education in my opinion, is nothing more than a tool for social control. It is sad that millions of minds are now being conditioned to think or feel a certain way. Formal education is contrived to perpetuate the status quo by endorsing a life of subservience to authority. The system is designed to test only memory not true intelligence and requires the student to regurgitate answers instead of formulating his own through critical thinking. This is the major reason why nothing will ever come of the millions of universities we have around the world. Any truly intelligent person will discover this and drop out. The only path to success, true success is self education.

2 Likes

Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by bolinjkezzy(m): 7:15am On Jul 07, 2017
Education is never a curse but in this side of the world (Nigeria) we are it is. It is the kind of mentality we grew with that make us not to explore other opportunities or should i say the fantasy of we(Everybody) working in a cool environment (office) with big pay come benefits(medical and vacation), nobody want to get his hand dirty. Take engineering as an instance (civil to be precise), everybody just want to graduate and work with Julius berger, ccecc, etc not minding that all construction company in Nigeria can't employ 2% of total graduate of civil engineering graduating from one Nigeria university or the other. Every state in Nigeria has at least 2 universities and shunning out graduate on a yearly basis with no critical thinking ability just with memorizing skills(cramming I call it). Our education system needs a reform cause it has outlive its importance...... Education is a blessing to me cause where I grew up if you ain't educated lord knows where you will be

1 Like

Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by arewaboy01(m): 7:16am On Jul 07, 2017
AmunaNo1:

Formal education in my opinion, is nothing more than a tool for social control. It is sad that millions of minds are now being conditioned to think or feel a certain way. Formal education is contrived to perpetuate the status quo by endorsing a life of subservience to authority. The system is designed to test only memory not true intelligence and requires the student to regurgitate answers instead of formulating his own through critical thinking. This is the major reason why nothing will ever come of the millions of universities we have around the world. Any truly intelligent person will discover this and drop out. The only path to success, true success is self education.
affirmed
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by omegostar55(m): 7:20am On Jul 07, 2017
hello ladies and gentle men,the problem of the country today is because the rich refuse to put the poor in a consideration and refuse to use their money on investment so that the less privilage can work also affect the graduate once because if u should look to american they always invest why because there is love{Unity} but nigeria those at the top want the least once to die in hunger.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by gotnel: 7:24am On Jul 07, 2017
Education is too important in the life of everyone, education is not a curse rather it is a blessing.
It is how you apply the education you have that matter. There are various way Man can be educated not necessarily in the classrooms.
Whatever activities of economy you want to engage into, you need to be educated about it.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by jericco1(m): 7:25am On Jul 07, 2017
An uneducated person is an ignorant individual.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by gotnel: 7:32am On Jul 07, 2017
AmunaNo1:

Yes, I totally agreed to your mindset on this. Those people that are propelling today's technological world are the people with little education in the schools system , those who really break away from the statues to developed their own thinking.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 07, 2017
Scholarifeoma

Interested
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 07, 2017
Education vs school
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by eduevolutionnow(m): 7:41am On Jul 07, 2017
Op, take note: Schooling not Education. Schooling is confined to the fours walls of a place but education is for Life therefore Education can never be a curse.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Olibboy: 7:50am On Jul 07, 2017
It's. blessing. You must not put all your life in education think another way to make money.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by SamUtaji: 7:52am On Jul 07, 2017
Education! Hmmm! Very important for all
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by telim: 7:57am On Jul 07, 2017
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Chukzii(m): 7:58am On Jul 07, 2017
Inanna:
Education can never be a curse. The problem with education is that it confines one abilities in the sense that they don't have that freedom to explore their talents and capabilities. Take for instance, one reads Engineering in the university, graduated and starts looking for a job that requires the services of engineers. He might have the ability of being a successful business man, a public speaker, an entrepreneur and he may not be aware of his capabilities because he has already conditioned his mind that he can only work as an engineer because that's what he studied. Plus, a lot of things taught in school are irrelevant in today's world, they are only important to make one become a "literate" in the society's eyes.
In addition, the only aspect of education developed is the part where you learn specific things like being a medicine, engineering, we don't have academies that work on talent. For example football academies, entertainment academies, skill acquisition centers etc. We all know there are some Drs, Engrs, Accountants who would've been Nigerian Messis, Nigerian George Clooneys. The thing is our parents grew when education in school was everything, so thats all they teach us
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by zilon12(m): 8:01am On Jul 07, 2017
Edu3Again:
Ask the North They don't like educated

cultists killing one another in the south is proof of education I guess
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 07, 2017
Education is just a major key to improve human's intelluctual prowess...Nothing more... But under utilization of education is the curse you're talking about...
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by bobowaja(m): 8:35am On Jul 07, 2017
Scholarifeoma:
Everyone wants to be educated, there are great number of educated people in the world and yet we face even greater problems. Economic crisis, insurgencies, terrorists’ attack, prostitution, rape, looting of public funds, and numerous anti-social vices emanate and we do not know how to prevent or curb the effects of such problems. Education to many is the key to success but I would say that “purposeful education”[/i] is the key to success.

In this present century, I only but laugh at people who foolishly think that getting a certificate from a known university in the world is all there is to success.

Let me make a point clear here,
[i]

When you do well as a prostitute, you are successful!

When you do well as an armed rubber, you are successful!

When you successfully divert or loot funds which are meant for the development of the society or country, you are successful!

Doing very well in your kidnapping business? You are successful

Acquiring great wealth as a fraudster, you are equally successful!

I could go on and on![/i]

What baffles me is this, 97% of those who are involved in such vices are the “educated ones”. These people went to school, obtained the right qualifications, and made rather a terrible choice of life.

Note this [i]

Education is no longer perceived as something being acquired in academic building such as schools, universities, colleges, polytechnics etc.
Knowledge can be acquired anywhere;

I could say

When one decides to learn a trade, he or she is acquiring knowledge!

When you learn how to sew, make braids, and just about anything you can think of, you are also being educated.

This is where purposeful education plays a vital role[/i]

“Being purposeful means having a useful purpose, acting with a clear aim and with determination”.

What then is purposeful education?[i]

Simply put, it is undoubtedly, acquiring knowledge for a useful purpose.
A lot of youths today are educated, what matters is what they have decided to do with that knowledge.
Anybody who is purposeful and determined to achieve and be a positive impact in the society cannot and can never settle for less no matter what.

We all know that our economy is presently in a poor state. Do we improve the economy by committing more crimes?
We complain that government do not provide employment opportunity for us, and yet there are people who have succeeded in becoming business owners on their own without the help of our so called government.

The bottom line is;[/i]

We can all decide to make positive impacts in the country.
We can achieve greater heights if we diligently work towards it.
It is often said that “it is the you in you that makes you who you are”.

Are you idle? Complaining of lack of jobs?[i]

Get up today and begin to explore. Try out as many things as possible and you would be marveled at how life would smile at you. Awaken that sleeping lion inside you, think out of the box and if you think you do not know where and how to start, read financial and business books written by our very own Nigerian authors. I could recommend a few; they are- “small business big money”[/i] written by Akin Alabi (founder of Nairabet), “sell your brain”[i] written by Leonard Nzimora. And lots more.

Let us strive to achieve something in life, to discover our purpose of existence and become the agent of change we need in the country. It is only then that we can come up with solutions to most of the problems we face today.
Become that change we need in the country by changing your life first.

For info on how to get the books mentioned above, you can simply write “interested” as a comment with your phone number below.[i][/i]

Thanks for taking your time to read this interesting article,see you at the top my friends.

You should have said FORMAL EDUCATION is a waste

We all learn whether in or out of class. According to a great philosopher - the mind is a clean slate, which needs experience.

All our mistakes, corrections, self learn, apprenticeship etc are all form of education.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by agitator: 8:39am On Jul 07, 2017
amadiwati:

I'm of contrary opinion. We make education to seem to be some kind of restrictions as you stated. First you note that education is far way beyond the walls of learning. Education opens us up to possibilities. It unveils your strength before us. Education Makes an engineer to KNOW that he/she can succeed in business.
The key word in education is learning to know and it can come via any medium

I agree with you to some extent. The problem is people trying to study courses based on expected pay and some even attending higher institutions in Nigeria just to obtain a certificate that will enable them earn a salary better than a secondary school certificate holder.

The western world is advancing because people seek more knowledge in areas they are interested in and have passion.

Example is the guy in the thread below who had so much passion for drawing that he even had to get beaten just to have the opportunity to see what the senior students were drawing .

https://www.nairaland.com/3902975/etuk-unyime-draws-udom-emmanuel

veragistonline:

A young artist, Etuk Unyime recently drew a picture of the Akwa Ibom State Governor, Gov. Udom Gabriel Emmanuel, using the new made in Akwa Ibom pencil and the governor seemed really happy about it.

According to the artist who is from Akwa Ibom State, the drawing was done strictly with AKEES pencil and charcoal.

According to him, he did it in a bid to support made in Akwa Ibom products. “I am from Akwa Ibom and I support made in Akwa Ibom products.” He wrote.

The Pencil factory which is situated at Km 2, Uyo Etinan Road, Ekom Iman, Etinan Local Government Area in Akwa Ibom State is one out of the five pencil factories in Nigeria, and is owned by the Akwa Ibom State Government floated under the Akwa Ibom Enterprise and Employment Scheme (AKEES).

“When I was a kid, I had this burning passion for creative and challenging things. I remember stealing comic books just to draw the characters.”

“I still remember offering myself in secondary school to be flogged in front of SS3 students who were drawing so I could see what they were doing.”

“I remember being mocked at because I drew rubbish. I remember buying pencils upon pencils, watching tutorial videos in lecture room, skipping classes to go and practice how to shade well. I also remember getting a job and drawing up to 10 pieces only to select the best one out of it.”

Turns out his story is that of passion, hard work, perseverance and dedication.

We must say it’s a beautiful portrait.

SOURCE: http://veragist.com/news/artist-etuk-unyime-udom-emmanuel/

When people study what they are passionate about, there is nothing stopping them to excel. They can go to any lengh and are always looking for ways to improve, do things better. wink wink wink
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by LAPREMEDO: 8:40am On Jul 07, 2017
Education is the process of bringing desirable change into the behavior of human beings. It can also be defined as the “Process of imparting or acquiring knowledge or habits through instruction or study”. The behavioral changes must be directed towards a desirable end. They should be acceptable socially, culturally and comically and result in a change in knowledge, skill, attitude and understanding.

With the development of society; education has taken many shapes, such as child education, adult education, technical education, health education, physical education and so on. The other broad classification could be:

1) Formal Education is:

a. Institutional activity.

b. Chronologically graded hierarchically structured.

c. Uniform.

d. Subject oriented.

e. Full time.

f. Leads to certificates, diplomas, degrees

2.Non Formal Education is:

a. Flexible.

b. Life environment and learner oriented.

c. Diversified in content and method.

d. Non-authoritarian and

e. Built on learner participation.

f. It mobilizes local resources.

g. It enriches human and environmental a potential.

3.Informal Education is:

a. Life long process.

b. Individual learns from daily experiences.

c. Individual learns from exposure to the environment at home, at work, at play etc.

So I can say here education is blessing and not a curse
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by TheTrillionaire: 8:42am On Jul 07, 2017
Scholarifeoma:

“small business big money”[/i] written by Akin Alabi (founder of Nairabet), “sell your brain”[i] written by Leonard Nzimora. And lots more.

I need the two books.
Please Send details to greatlucky247 (at) gmail.com
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by ephi123(f): 8:55am On Jul 07, 2017
oyb:
Illiterates using mediums and platforms developed by educated men to spew nonsense.

A typical Nigerian mentality, thinking education is about money and money only.

You think education has no use, let's take you to 1700, where you can live in an utopia of subsistence farming, death by malaria, and shitting in the bush.

rotflllmao cheesy

@OP, education opens up the human mind, I can't even begin to list all its benefits.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by sukkot: 9:15am On Jul 07, 2017
there are 3 tiers of humanity. ' the ground ' aka the lowest state, ' the platform' which is the intermediate and then 'the sky'. now you dont ever ever want to be that guy on the ground. he is an ignorant prehistoric caveman in his outlook and speech and behaviour. you need education to get you from that ground stage to the platform. Thats the only benefit of education. now whether you fly into the sky after being on the platform is where the curse of institutionalised formal education begins. because education maligns your way of thinking. it turns you into a one trick pony. so whats the point ? you need education but at the same time it cripples you. you should get an education just to increase your brain power and awareness, and after you graduate then you go to a technical school to acquire a real skill. thats how its supposed to be done. instead of wasting your life getting masters and phd, go and use that time to acquire technical skills. learn how to build cars or how to create solar energy etc etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by dozymars(m): 9:21am On Jul 07, 2017
Please, how can i get the books you mentioned- contact me on 08026852968
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by rayopt(m): 9:21am On Jul 07, 2017
disappointed @all diz comments

its simple. . .

education is a blessing while schooling and all the illusion it offers is a curse!!!

get education to enlighten your soul or stay in school to cage your soul

get education and become a free thinker or stay in school to become a social clone

se fini

1 Like

Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Fronesis: 9:28am On Jul 07, 2017
Education is not a curse. Education also is not the ONLY key to success. People need to be aware the main essence of education from the beginning is not to turn wealth into your purse. Education was instituted to aid THINKING; is to create a society with people who have a high thinking capacity that's why many courses you did in school are not applicable at your work place. Education is like a gym where you gain brain muscles to help you birth initiatives for the good of the society. However, it will help you succeed but what you do with the brain muscles is your own puzzle. Knowledge and skills are the two main secrets of wealth. They are r the only ways to wealth. If you want to have wealth, devote your destiny to either of these. Note: education will make u literate but it is not knowledge itself. Selah!
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by sagaxity(m): 9:32am On Jul 07, 2017
We all have different opinions about education because of our abode(Nigeria) and the I don't care attitude toward improving our educational sector by the political ruling class..

The reward for excellence is at an all time low. Remember the best student in a UNIPORT faculty given #450 as a reward for excellence, remember the overall best student in a university in the west given a mug, a friend of mine a first class graduate but was not honored with the promise from the same of scholarship. I could go on an on..

Education though over hyped is so relegated that future generations may see no reason to go to school...

As OP rightly said, we can.

Nice post..love it
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by mexite: 9:45am On Jul 07, 2017
Education can never be a curse, it is our approach and use of what we have acquired that defines its success or failure. I think the problem with formal education is that it emphasizes dogmatic learning and training with little or zero emphasis on talent refinement. Yet does it make formal education a curse, no? Even those who dropped out of school to make landmarks still use resources churned out of academic research. Most inventors in this generation acquired formal education at one point in their lives. Bill Gates' knack for computer programming was lighted during his college days at Lakeside College. Steve Jobs, even though had already dropped out of school, still took creative classes in the school. Warren Buffet had always loved anything business and financials from his childhood, went to University of Pennsylvania, and today he's arguably the best investor known. Instead of following their passion, most people take alternative courses. Inventors always have it in them right from their childhood or tender youth. What do we have here, someone with passion for electronics eventually accepting to study fisheries because of UTME scores. Bill Gates was also almost distracted when he choose to study law at Harvard University as against his IT, but thank God for his friend Paul Allen. It will be so chaotic if the disciplines of the educational institutions should be abandoned and everyone chooses to be out of school.

So the underlying role of schooling in spurring technological advancement cannot be undermined. Everyone should deliberately follow his heart and course in life. Follow which path works for you, education put of the schools or within, but you will surely need to READ, never forget that. Don't study to earn a certificate, study to earn respect and make impact in your chosen field.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Muyiii(m): 9:53am On Jul 07, 2017
There is a huge difference between education and being educated. Sadly most people only acquire formal education for the purpose of acquiring a means to an end. Education doesn't really have to be in a formal classroom, it's basically acquiring knowledge that in the end makes you a better person to yourself and the world as a whole. You become refined, civil and diplomatic. If you're also looking at it from the point of being successful monetary-wise, you do not need to fully acquire a formal education to be successful. People are just who they are ...educated or not. You can't blame education entirely for the ills and menance all around us today. All the fundamental institutions like parenting, religious institutions etc have all failed as well.
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by fuck2017: 9:54am On Jul 07, 2017
oyb:
Illiterates using mediums and platforms developed by educated men to spew nonsense.

You think education has no use, let's take you to 1700, where you can live in an utopia of subsistence farming, death by malaria, and shitting in the bush.
Shut up....
Nobody says it has no use..
We are here trying to curve your mind. And make you to understand. Is not a way to financial freedom.
Make sense fall on you.

1 Like

Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by Newborn40(m): 10:07am On Jul 07, 2017
Am interested , very much sir
Re: Education: A Curse Or A Blessing by endlessict(m): 10:13am On Jul 07, 2017
oyb:

I bet you spew even more shii......

those who invent drugs, farm machines, and water system are all fiscally successful.. so, somewhere along the line.. education ties to money.

Think before you talk..

like someone.. rightly said above...sense fall on you.

Mr Gullible

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sbrs Shortlisted Candidate For Screening Test Is Out. / NOUN Disowns Fake Exams Questions On Buhari. See the picture of the exam questio / JAMB Scraps Use Of Email For UTME, DE Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.