Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,861 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) (70036 Views)

The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning / I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by KingOvoramwen1(m): 9:22pm On Jul 09, 2017
Opiletool:

Would have love to reply u more and more, but I won't allow u drag me into ur abyss of gift-wrapped stupidity and wide gap in knowledge. Enjoy ur fun filled time in foolishness kid.

Get lost you stink!!
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Probz(m): 9:24pm On Jul 09, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

Get lost you stink!!
There's better insults out there than stink.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by KingOvoramwen1(m): 9:29pm On Jul 09, 2017
Probz:
There's better insults out there than stink.

Be like say you miss road better find the exit!!
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Probz(m): 9:30pm On Jul 09, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

Be like say you miss road better find the exit!!
Nwayo. No one's gonna take you seriously with lame insults.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Konquest: 3:00am On Jul 10, 2017
onuwaje:
next is numbers in Itsekiri i will list 1-20

1. Mééne
2. Meji
3. Mééta
4. Méérén
5. Maaru
6. Mééfa
7. Meeje
8. Mééjó
9. Méésan
10. Méégua
11. Okan légua
12. Eji légua
13. Eta légua
14. Érén légua
15. Maaru légua
16. Éfa legua
17. Mééta ee Jeto Ogun
18. Meji ee Jeto Ogun
19.. Okan ee jeto Ogun
20. Ogun
^^^^^^
@ onuwaje
I thought number 1 is OKAN in Itsekiri?
Has it been changed now to MEENE?

The offshore oilfields off the coast of
Ugborodo [otherwise called Escravos]
are known as okan, meji, meta, meren
oilfields and are operated by Chevron
since the 1960's. This was indicated in the
Atlas of Nigeria we used in schools in the late
1970s.

You have a nice thread here. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 6:34am On Jul 10, 2017
Konquest:

^^^^^^
@ onuwaje
I thought number 1 is OKAN in Itsekiri?
Has it been changed now to MEENE?

The offshore oilfields off the coast of
Ugborodo [otherwise called Escravos]
are known as okan, meji, meta, meren
oilfields and are operated by Chevron
since the 1960's. This was indicated in the
Atlas of Nigeria we used in schools in the late
1970s.

You have a nice thread here. grin

It has not beem changed.
I am from Omadino and i always knew it as Mééné.

Okan is also used but not on a regular basis. My aunt always interchange erubo/kabo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by airsaylongcon: 7:27am On Jul 10, 2017
There's an Onuwaje married to the daughter of the Ọtota of Udu. Any chance your relative (or is it you sef) grin?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Konquest: 8:03am On Jul 10, 2017
onuwaje:

It has not beem changed.
I am from Omadino and i always knew it as Mééné.

Okan is also used but not on a regular basis. My aunt always interchange erubo/kabo

^^^^^
Good... thanks for the clarification. grin

Matse Uwatse is from Omadino
too. [Itsekiri father and Urhobo mother].
She said this on NigeriaInfo Radio in
Victoria Island in 2013
while presenting a live program.

She might be your direct cousin I guess.

Take charge! grin

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 9:36am On Jul 10, 2017
airsaylongcon:
There's an Onuwaje married to the daughter of the Ọtota of Udu. Any chance your relative (or is it you sef) grin?

The Onuwaje family is very large that every month i get to meet one lol.

If he is Onuwaje den we re related
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by macof(m): 6:36pm On Jul 10, 2017
Opiletool:

Bini itself has Yoruba influence. They worship Okun (whom was the first wife of oduduwa that was later deified, a common practise in the Yoruba land, I.e osun, oba, osa, oya, are all women deified by naming a river or stream or ocean after each of them). I think they also worship esu, who also was a Yoruba man back then. I stand to be corrected.

Almost all of Bini Gods are of Ilaje and Ife origin, from Olokun to Osun to Ogun to Ayilala. They also have Ifa (called Iha)
Only the supreme God - Osanobua is native

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by macof(m): 6:38pm On Jul 10, 2017
Opiletool:

This is why I don't really regard oduduwa as the primogenitor of the Yoruba race. According to some history, ugbo (or any town that starts with igbo in yoruba) and was founded by Obatala when he was angry at the fact that oduduwa was crowned over some elders, the likes of him, obaluaye and so on. He left ile ife with his pple and founded ugbo. I think that submission is from Prof Odia Ofeimun

Ugbo and Mahin were founded by Obamakin(brother of Obatala) lineage

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by macof(m): 6:52pm On Jul 10, 2017
dejavski:

The major reason why most ppl disagree with naming the country Oduduwa republic is because he is not d founder of the Yoruba race. A more suitable name would be accepted. Mind u some yorubas are not direct descendants of Oduduwa.

It doesn't matter if he is a direct ancestor or not. In yoruba culture a king is the father of the people

In fact I have recently been informed that "Owa" (the title of many eastern yoruba kings) means Father... I don't know how true but we also see how "attah" means father in Igala (a people of very close common ancestry with Yoruba). Even though the attahs are of jukun origin

Oduduwa is the father figure of all Yoruba, a revolutionary leader, a unifier, King of the source. Most towns and cities in yorubaland are founded by his sons or Princes who trace their lineage to his sons.
Even itsekiri cannot deny his significance, from their Ijebu and Bini heritage they possess a connection to the man oduduwa even more than groups like Awori and Okun.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by babyfaceafrica: 6:40am On Jul 15, 2017
onuwaje:
the aim of this thread is not in anyway political ethnocentric but for knowledge and learning purpose.

let's begin
please what is hot,cold,warm and cool in urhobo..thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 9:49am On Jul 15, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
please what is hot,cold,warm and cool in urhobo..thanks

Cc efewestern
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by babyfaceafrica: 9:53am On Jul 15, 2017
onuwaje:

Cc efewestern
what about in ishekiri?..I am a linguist..I am carrying out a research please
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Efewestern: 10:40am On Jul 15, 2017
onuwaje:

Cc efewestern

hot = ororoh' ro
cold = Oji'jiro
Warm = ahwior'ror'ror'ror (We actually don't make use of warm and cool in urhobo, we only use Hot and cold)

Sorry my urhobo spelling might not be perfect. grin

cc : babyfaceafrica I hope this answers your question, need more help on urhobo words you can mention fratermathy he is better than me in spelling those words.

cheers.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 10:57am On Jul 15, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
what about in ishekiri?..I am a linguist..I am carrying out a research please
In Itsekiri its
Ogbór for hot
Otún for cold
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by aljharem(m): 11:21am On Jul 15, 2017
onuwaje:

In Itsekiri its
Ogbór for hot
Otún for cold

Ogbo'nr for hot
Otutu for cold in yoruba

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by babyfaceafrica: 11:45am On Jul 15, 2017
onuwaje:

In Itsekiri its
Ogbór for hot
Otún for cold
thanks am grateful,can you use them in sentence like: the water is cold, the food is cold,this weather is warm,she is a cool guy
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:48am On Jul 15, 2017
macof:

[s]Almost all of Bini Gods are of Ilaje and Ife origin, from Olokun to Osun to Ogun to Ayilala. They also have Ifa (called Iha)
Only the supreme God - Osanobua is nativ[/s]e

Seems your head is paining you I will correct it for you on this thread !!
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 12:16pm On Jul 15, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
thanks am grateful,can you use them in sentence like: the water is cold, the food is cold,this weather is warm,she is a cool guy

I dunno the name of weather in Itsekiri

But weather can be said as

Owo (sun)/ Eji (rain)

Owo gbor ren (sun is very hot)
Eji tun ren (rain is cold )
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by babyfaceafrica: 12:24pm On Jul 15, 2017
onuwaje:

I dunno the name of weather in Itsekiri

But weather can be said as

Owo (sun)/ Eji (rain)

Owo gbor ren (sun is very hot)
Eji tun ren (rain is cold )
thank you sir....you have been helpful.. It is like itsekiri does not have a word for the word very?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 2:15pm On Jul 15, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
thank you sir....you have been helpful.. It is like itsekiri does not have a word for the word very?
Lol "very"

Can't think of any now
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by orlahtohbadt(m): 10:32pm On Jul 16, 2017
Pls what does Onuwaje and Oritsegbubemi mean?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 10:52pm On Jul 16, 2017
orlahtohbadt:
Pls what does Onuwaje and Oritsegbubemi mean?

Onuwaje (Onetuwaje) - Person wen chop riches or wealth

Oritsegbubemi - God has heard me
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by orlahtohbadt(m): 11:10pm On Jul 16, 2017
onuwaje:

okay thanks... Giving me the loose translation made me able to relate it to Yoruba... Eni tu waje= Onetuwaje, Orisa gbo ibe mi=Oritsegbubemi

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by hitman2911: 11:15pm On Jul 16, 2017
onuwaje:

Yoruba Oyo dialects:

Eni waje aje

Orisa gbe be mi

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by TonySpike: 8:14am On Jul 17, 2017
onuwaje:

This is very similar to Orisagbebemi: "Orisa (God) gbo (has heard) ebe mi (my plea)" in core Yoruba language. Interesting. ..

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by urahara(m): 7:49am On Oct 02, 2017
Tribalism is derailing this thread.

Op ride on smiley
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by urahara(m): 10:06am On Nov 08, 2017
Howndp you say " yes , I want to go and buy food to eat "
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 12:53pm On Nov 08, 2017
urahara:
Howndp you say " yes , I want to go and buy food to eat "

Mofe re ra food je

I dunno what food is in Itsekiri lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo) / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.