Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,014 members, 7,810,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) (70059 Views)

The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning / I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by orlahtohbadt(m): 6:56am On Jul 08, 2017
9jakool:

Yeah Lagos Yoruba is pretty much a spin off of the Standard Yoruba. If only you stayed in Epe or Ikorodu outskirts of Lagos, then you could familiarize yourself with Ijebu or Remo dialect which is very very close to Itsekiri. A fluent Ijebu speaker can probably pick up Itsekiri in a very short amount of time. Yorubas typically speak two dialects/register of the Yoruba language; the dialectal one and the standard one.
Your head dey there... Every Yoruba speaks two Yoruba dialect, the standard one and the one from his Origin... I speak the Lagos standard Yoruba and the one of Ijesa

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Opiletool(m): 6:59am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

Bro, I meant they're proto-Yoruba/Igala or whatever label they now go by, the various tribes probably splited from a common source, for instancd the ugbo people(a Yoruba sub group of ondo state) have stories of origin that almost predates ile-ife/oduduwa claim, anyways let's agree to disagree.

This is why I don't really regard oduduwa as the primogenitor of the Yoruba race. According to some history, ugbo (or any town that starts with igbo in yoruba) and was founded by Obatala when he was angry at the fact that oduduwa was crowned over some elders, the likes of him, obaluaye and so on. He left ile ife with his pple and founded ugbo. I think that submission is from Prof Odia Ofeimun

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Efewestern: 7:13am On Jul 08, 2017
dejavski:

some similar ilaje words:
Man: Okoro(old ilaje)/Okonren
Coconut: Kokodia
Pig: Ehi
Plate: Ahete(old ilaje)/awo
Town: Oja
Market: Obon

Talk: fo/ ofo
Sea god: Umalokun
River deity: umale and ayelala
Wealth/Fortune: Uwa

Nana: stretch
i want to rest/sleep: aji mi nana ara gboje/mo fe nana ara mi
How are u: Ko se gha?
Ilaje salutation: mo ki gha dede oma ilaje omuro...Ayemafuge!(i greet u sons and daughters of ilaje)

mo ki aghan omiwerre dede
btw...my mother's ancestral path is an Oton jibefun oh...

onuwaje come and see this, 80% itsekiri.. I said it earlier, ondo will understand itsekiri without any problem, I can't say same for those in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 7:14am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

Your points are quite valid and I cannot but agree totally with you on this. Many thanks.

bini and urhobo might not understand itsekiri language because the itsekiri language is purely yoruboid, they only borrowed some words from those tribe why maintaining their original Yoruba dialect.

if you read from the front page no body disputed the fact that itsekiri is yoruboid, even the op onuwaje who is an itsekiri man acknowledged the fact that itsekiri language is a Yoruba dialect, as for you claim about itsekiri been yoruba, I think your should respect their stance on this.

They choose to call themselves itsekiri, why not respect their decision, speaking same language and bearing same name with you don't make someone a member of your tribe.

please let's not derail this thread. thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Pylony(m): 7:22am On Jul 08, 2017
Make i learn the Language sharp sharp, so i go use am do shakara for one Itsekiri Lady. grin

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by forgiveness: 7:24am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

yes, if you read my earlier post I said almost same with ondo dialect, never mind itsekiri still remains a key branch of Yoruba language. a dialect of Yoruba.

but their identity still remains same.

ITSEKIRI.

There is nothing like Yoruba without identify.

Ijesha, Oyo, Egba, Ilaje, Ijebu, Ife, Remo etc have their own identity but they have embraced and accepted to be under one umbrella called Yoruba which I suppose Itsekiri are one of the bona-fide member.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 7:29am On Jul 08, 2017
Iphone7SPlus:

Kini wahala e?
For your info, if Itsekiri won't join Oduduwa republic, consider us in Ondo South senatorial district out.
We are joining Niger Delta republic too.

It is like you Oyo people think being Yoruba is all about you. angry
I am not Oyo but ijesha. If you wont join us, nobody cares. Afterall we never lived under one umbrella before the arrival of the British.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 7:32am On Jul 08, 2017
AworiLagosian:

This guy you are just a shameless Igbo troll pretending to be Yoruba.
That was the same way you were also trolling in that thread about Kogi Yorubas wanting to re-unite with the West.

What exactly is your problem?
You are a big fool! Point to where i asked okun people not to join us? I only said they can have a referendum if they want to join or not! Nobody is forcing anybody.
We dont want anyone to insult us!
Oloribu! Omoirankiran!
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by darediamond(m): 7:34am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

If you say so, but I think you should respect their decision, the op an itsekiri man acknowledged the fact that itsekiri is a dialect of Yoruba, he even said his ancestors migrated from ijebu, truth is that you can't separate itsekiri from Yoruba when it comes to language, but they choose a new identity. let us not fight over this.

@deedeee3 I doubt if you have ever met with any itsekiri man b4, see the way you they throw jab give itsekiri people, some itsekiri's are pro Yoruba have met some even Here on nairaland e. g asaimaigho is pro Yoruba, while some are pro ND, so it's left for them to decide if they want to belong to oduduwa or not
p
Do not get it twisted. When the Map Of Oduduwa republic was draw some months ago, No member region or area disprove it because Yoruba's know there terroritories and being people of Rich Culture will never give away what is there's.
The central is Ife.
I do not like calling Itsekiri people with that name because it is not dignifying enough.
Early in the centuries before settling at present day Warri, they go around on canoes in search for jobs and that was why they were primarily named AwaIseKa or Awa/Ise/Kiri by there homeland people in Lagos.

Read this and tell me if Yoruba's disproves there Oduduwa Origins at all: http://saharareporters.com/2013/12/20/bloody-clash-averted-opc-inaugurates-itsekiri-chapter-delta

https://www.google.com/search?q=itsekiri+yoruba&client=ucweb-b&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV1ben_PjUAhUPmrQKHYWCDnAQ_AUIBygC&biw=1100&bih=473#channel=sb&tbm=isch&q=People+Republic+Of+Oduduwa&spf=1499495364094
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by bedford101(m): 7:35am On Jul 08, 2017
Onuwaje, bokor? Wo'winor'gba tse o'ronron utse ni' ubo'we oo, abutse reh,
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by forgiveness: 7:35am On Jul 08, 2017
ezeagu:

Sure, some of the words are shared with Yoruba as well like Yoruba ogun (twenty) and Igbo ọgụ (twenty).

Some words that are similar here are:

Itsekiri - Igbo
ekpetin (box) - akpati
ukpo (bed) - ukpo (platform)
uko (cup) - iko
okérén (man) - okenye
okoro (man) - okoro
aféré (wind) - ufere (breeze/wind)
esin (pig) - ezi
etin (ear) - nti
tolotolo (turkey) - tolotolo

Just a little similar is Itsekiri soro (stand) and Igbo wuzo (stand)

All the @bolded are of Yoruba dialect, Ijebu.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 7:37am On Jul 08, 2017
excanny:

Sadly for you, they are. Just that their own dialect is now corrupted than mainstream Yoruba. It written all over them that over-Yoruba dey worry them.
They are not Yoruba and should be respected like that. I have met some who wont accept anything Yoruba; some are mixed blood sha( urhobo). Whether they speak Yoruba is not my fuccking business.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 7:38am On Jul 08, 2017
Opiletool:

Supported
Thank you omoiya.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 7:49am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

If you say so, but I think you should respect their decision, the op an itsekiri man acknowledged the fact that itsekiri is a dialect of Yoruba, he even said his ancestors migrated from ijebu, truth is that you can't separate itsekiri from Yoruba when it comes to language, but they choose a new identity. let us not fight over this.

@deedeee3 I doubt if you have ever met with any itsekiri man b4, see the way you they throw jab give itsekiri people, some itsekiri's are pro Yoruba have met some even Here on nairaland e. g asaimaigho is pro Yoruba, while some are pro ND, so it's left for them to decide if they want to belong to oduduwa or not
Mr, i did not throw jab at anyone. All i am saying is itsekiri should be allowed to make her own decision, but to be sincere with you, i wont like it if they decide to join us.
I got no beef with them though
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 7:55am On Jul 08, 2017
9jakool:

Umale? Egugun? Ifa/ife? Ebora tsitse?
Are those Benin cultural practices?
the reason why i place 50/50 is that most of the cultural practices may sound Yoruba but they have huge Benin influence. tho i am not a traditional practitioner. but what i know is this

1. Ogiame is a Benin word (King of waters)
2. Ediaken is a Benin word but we the Itsekiris call it Daniken.

like i have always said. Itsekiris are a tribe of hybrid Origin some were formed by Benin others by Yoruba which merged so nt every one is entirely yoruba when it comes to cultural practice.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by dejavski(m): 7:55am On Jul 08, 2017
Iphone7SPlus:

Kini wahala e?
For your info, if Itsekiri won't join Oduduwa republic, consider us in Ondo South senatorial district out.
We are joining Niger Delta republic too.

It is like you Oyo people think being Yoruba is all about you. angry
Ilaje/Ikale/Apoi/Ijaw wo gha?
K'oja re? Ilaje mo gha rin oh
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 8:02am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

onuwaje come and see this, 80% itsekiri.. I said it earlier, ondo will understand itsekiri without any problem, I can't say same for those in Lagos.

yea they do. i have an ilaje friend and we understand each other very well. and also there is anoda Yoruba bros from Ugbonla in Ondo state i also understand him.

the Ondo riverine Yorubas can easily mix into Itsekiri well.lol

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by tuoyo9729(m): 8:04am On Jul 08, 2017
Lovely write up.greetings to all

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by realestworld(m): 8:10am On Jul 08, 2017
Its our duty to defend our land /language/culture, lol yes sure warri don spoil most of una, where in urhobo are you from? [/quote]
Emadaja [udu local government].
na our parents suppose take the lion share for the blame. Them fvck up wel wel
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by forgiveness: 8:11am On Jul 08, 2017
AkinPhysicist:
Yes. I have always been of the opinion that in the case of break up, the Itshekiris will do very well in a Niger-Delta Republic. The effective/mature manner the Warri crisis was eventually handled is testament to the fact the Ijaws, Urhobos and Itshekiris can work very well together IF they choose to. Although, the Ijaws might be reluctant to form a country with Bini/Edo, I think eventually both will reliance that it is in their best interest to be in the SAME country.

Itshekiris can't survive in the same country with the majority Ijaw and Uhrobo and all the disputed lands will be easily taken away from them. That is suicidal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 8:15am On Jul 08, 2017
bedford101:
Onuwaje, bokor? Wo'winor'gba tse o'ronron utse ni' ubo'we oo, abutse reh,

modokpe Sir.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by bakynes(m): 8:19am On Jul 08, 2017
When the Map of Oduduwa included Warri the home of Itsekiris some people called us Yoruba land grabbers, can we now see that Map is correct and is in line.

Unlike the Igbos who include the whole of Delta and Kogi as Biafra. Do they want to include Okun people of Kabba in Kogi and Itsekiri people of Warri land in Delta state.

The Map of Oduduwa Republic brings all people of Oduduwa ancestry together as one Nation while Biafra brings different people of different ancestry together which is another blooming disaster like that of Nigeria.

That's why the presence of OPC is very strong in Warri.

I boarded a Bus from PH to Lagos, the driver was speaking a language like Yoruba I thought he was all this Akoko- Ondo Yoruba and was talking to him not knowing he was an Itsekiri man.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 8:21am On Jul 08, 2017
Probz:
Do Itsekiri people claim origin from both Oduduwa and Ile-Ife?

no
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Opiletool(m): 8:22am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

the reason why i place 50/50 is that most of the cultural practices may sound Yoruba but they have huge Benin influence. tho i am not a traditional practitioner. but what i know is this

1. Ogiame is a Benin word (King of waters)
2. Ediaken is a Benin word but we the Itsekiris call it Daniken.

like i have always said. Itsekiris are a tribe of hybrid Origin some were formed by Benin others by Yoruba which merged so nt every one is entirely yoruba when it comes to cultural practice.

Bini itself has Yoruba influence. They worship Okun (whom was the first wife of oduduwa that was later deified, a common practise in the Yoruba land, I.e osun, oba, osa, oya, are all women deified by naming a river or stream or ocean after each of them). I think they also worship esu, who also was a Yoruba man back then. I stand to be corrected.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by lx3as(m): 8:25am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

I don't understand itsekiri o, but if you want to know some urhobo words that's similar to itseke I can help you out.

Ésété (plate) in urhobo it's o'sete same meaning, Ukujéré (spoon) same in urhobo , uda (sword/cutlass) in urhobo it's oda which means cutlass .

simply put, itsekiri is a mixture of Yoruba and urhobo /edo, although 70% of the language are Yoruba words.

In central and eastern Yoruba dialects, Uda (Ida in Yoruba proper) is Sword; while Ada is cutlass.

In most of these dialects 'M' in one to ten and 'egu' in eleven upwards are removed 1-14:

Ini
Eji
Eta
Erin
Arun
Efa
Eje
Ejo
Esin/Esan
Ewa
Okanla
Ejila
Etala
Erinla

Afere is Afere/Afefe
Uko is Oko
or Uko is Uke/Ike
Meyiwa is Meyiwa/muyiwa
Oritse is Orisa,
Ekpeti is Apoti,
Oberen is Obirin
okoren is Okunrin ('en' sound is still very common with the Ijebus)
etc.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 8:29am On Jul 08, 2017
darediamond:

Itsekiri people are Yoruba's.

well i wud say yes and no.

the founder of my home town Omadino is from Ijebu. while.the founder Of Okere is from Benin.

most of the settlements outside the riverine were found by Benin entourage of the Itsekiri nation whilst the riverine settlements were founded by Yorubas
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by dejavski(m): 8:30am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

yea they do. i have an ilaje friend and we understand each other very well. and also there is anoda Yoruba bros from Ugbonla in Ondo state i also understand him.

the Ondo riverine Yorubas can easily mix into Itsekiri well.lol
we always c ur ppl as our kith n kin. The attachment is mutual. I have relatives that r sekes.
Here r some ilaje names which i think u can relate to:
Dede(my family name)
Erejuwa
Onuwaje(ur name)
Eresulu
Edema
Omabone
Omanuwa
Nomiye
Ereyon
Ikuemonehan
Ughane
Ogboti
Utiola

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 8:33am On Jul 08, 2017
[quote author=Pylony post=58237669]Make i learn the Language sharp sharp, so i go use am do shakara for one Itsekiri Lady. grin[/quote
]

dont forget to stay tuned for another thread that will focus sorely on interaction and how to converse in Itsekiri later today
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Pylony(m): 8:37am On Jul 08, 2017
[quote author=onuwaje post=58239554][/quote]chaii oga u wan put me for hot seat abi. shocked
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by dejavski(m): 8:38am On Jul 08, 2017
bakynes:
When the Map of Oduduwa included Warri the home of Itsekiris some people called us Yoruba land grabbers, can we now see that Map is correct and is in line.

Unlike the Igbos who include the whole of Delta and Kogi as Biafra. Do they want to include Okun people of Kabba in Kogi and Itsekiri people of Warri land in Delta state.

The Map of Oduduwa Republic brings all people of Oduduwa ancestry together as one Nation while Biafra brings different people of different ancestry together which is another blooming disaster like that of Nigeria.

That's why the presence of OPC is very strong in Warri.

I boarded a Bus from PH to Lagos, the driver was speaking a language like Yoruba I thought he was all this Akoko- Ondo Yoruba and was talking to him not knowing he was an Itsekiri man.
The major reason why most ppl disagree with naming the country Oduduwa republic is because he is not d founder of the Yoruba race. A more suitable name would be accepted. Mind u some yorubas are not direct descendants of Oduduwa.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 8:38am On Jul 08, 2017
Opiletool:

Bini itself has Yoruba influence. They worship Okun (whom was the first wife of oduduwa that was later deified, a common practise in the Yoruba land, I.e osun, oba, osa, oya, are all women deified by naming a river or stream or ocean after each of them). I think they also worship esu, who also was a Yoruba man back then. I stand to be corrected.

wonderful
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 8:41am On Jul 08, 2017
Pylony:
chaii oga u wan put me for hot seat abi. shocked

i am just trying to spread the gospel

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo) / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.