Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,775 members, 7,810,021 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. (1457 Views)

Akwa Ibom APC Rally To Honour Victims Of 2015 Elections (Pics) / Lagos Assembly Reverses Pedro's Impeachment After Eight Years / 'Campaign Against Violence In Elections' Rally To Hold In Oyo March 21st (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by babapupa: 2:03am On Feb 01, 2010
NVESTIGATION ON FASHOLA: D’Banj, 9ice, others take rally to Lagos Assembly • AC denies Tinubu’s involvement

Written by From Kunle Awosiyan and Kunle Oderemi

THE Coalition of Youths for Good Governance has concluded plans to stage a rally to protest allegations of financial misappropriation against the Lagos State governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola, by a group, the New Face of Lagos.
According to one of the organisers of the rally, Mr. Tola Odunlami, the planned rally to the state House of Assembly would kick off from Adebola House, Opebi, today.

The group has popular musicians, D’Banj, 9ice and other personalities as members.

This is coming four days after the group placed a two-page advertorial in a national newspaper, alleging that Governor Fashola was involved in financial misappropriation.

Speaking with the Nigerian Tribune, Odunlami described the allegation as “an impending move by the state House of Assembly to impeach Fashola,” adding that the group was totally against it.

“We are against the moves to disturb Fashola’s government. That is why we are embarking on a peaceful rally to the House of Assembly to register our views against the moves. We are for good governance and Fashola has been tested and trusted and should be allowed to lead the state without distractions,” Odunlami said.

Meanwhile, more facts have emerged on the cold war between the camp of Fashola and his predecessor, Senator Bola Tinubu, which both leaders had been trying to play down for months now.

Nigerian Tribune learnt that three main factors might have strained the relationship between them, culminating in a shadowy group, The Face of Lagos, alleging gross abuse of office by the governor in a recent newspaper advertorial.

One of the reasons for the feud was said to be a fall-out of a purported directive issued by the governor late last year to all ministries and agencies of government to suspend work on all ongoing projects to enable the administration to take stock.

The directive followed allegations of the slow pace of work on many of the projects valued at billions of naira.

It was learnt that the directive reportedly deflated some egos in the camp of the former governor, who was instrumental in the election of virtually all the members in the Lagos State House of Assembly and chairmen and councillors in the 57 local government council development areas in the state.

The order from Alausa was also said to have been informed by the concern raised in the report of auditors on the quality and progress of work on some of the projects in the state.

The directive marked a dramatic twist to the claims and counter-claims by the two stalwarts of the Action Congress (AC) over an allegation that Tinubu had resolved to dump Fashola for another party member for the governorship ticket in 2011.

In apparent reference to the allegation, a source claimed that the move to impeach the governor was, indeed, real and could further crystalise by March.

Another reason for the friction between the governor and his predecessor was said to be Fashola’s style of leadership, which some AC members in Lagos claimed did not recognise the need to empower them directly in appreciation of their role in his victory at the polls in 2007.

However, the claim has reportedly polarised the AC in the state, with some party elders who appeared satisfied with the governor’s style rooting for him in the face of the opposition from the rival camp.

Tinubu is believed to control the party machinery, just as many of the key functionaries in the current administration belonged to his camp.

There is also a grounds-well of opposition in the state civil service against the former governor because of his alleged relationship with a firm handling the revenue drive of the government.

The civil servants alleged that they were required to distribute relevant documents to agencies, individuals and organisa-tions to pay their taxes and other levies to dedicated bank accounts, while the company took the glory.

It was gathered that some of the workers were agitating for a review of the contract between the state and the firm.

The state House of Assembly, on Thursday, set up a six-man adhoc committee to investigate the allegations of financial recklessness levelled against the Fashola administration.

The members include Mr Sanai Agunbiade, Mr Rotimi Olowo, Mr Moshood Oshun, Mrs Adefunmilayo Tejuoso, Mrs Omowunmi Olatunji-Edet and the chairman, Mr Rasak Balogun.
The committee is expected to present its report to the House on February 15.

The committee was set up after the member representing Alimosho constituency II, Honourable Onibiyo Adelabu, under Matters of Urgent Public Importance, drew the attention of his colleagues to the advertorial.

“The advertorial was full of serious allegations. All of us, including the state executive arm, Senator Bola Tinubu and other party chieftains were accused in the publication,” he said.

Another member, Mr Rotimi Olowo, said all the allegations in the publication were new to him.

He, however, suggested that the House should either call on the group or set up a committee to investigate the allegations.

The member representing Agege constituency I, Mr Mudasiru Obasa, who referred to the part of the advertorial that alleged that the lawmakers had been given N20 million each and had refused to present the report of the 2008/2009 Budget Review Committee, said nobody could stampede the House to performing its functions

But the chairman, House Committee on Judiciary, Mr. Babatunde Ogala, claimed the allegations in the advertorial were the handiwork of mischief makers, while the Speaker, Mr. Adeyemi Ikuforiji, added that “If a House that has passed over 80 resolutions and introduced various programmes than any other House has done can be accused of being docile, let it be said loud and clear that no one will push the House to do what is not part of its agenda.”

Meanwhile, the AC has denied that Tinubu knew anything about allegation of financial impropriety levelled against Governor Fashola in the advertorial published the by the True Face of Lagos.

The AC, in a release signed by the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said it was illogical for Senator Tinubu to be the one behind the said advert which sought to damage his reputation and that of the party he had expended time and energy on.

The party said the publication was a surprise, adding that it found the allegation baseless and irresponsible, since it was placed by a faceless group.
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by babapupa: 2:04am On Feb 01, 2010
Let's get this party started, lmao

Tinubu don suffa sha, Dude must have miscalculated thinking lagosians go just roll over like mumu,
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by trueword: 2:53am On Feb 01, 2010
I hope that there is a large turnout so that a clear message will be sent to leave Fashola alone. Even if Fashola is a bit scared, I'm sure that seeing Lagosians rallying for him will give him a lot of confidence that he will not have to fight off his detractors alone.
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by Kay17: 3:13am On Feb 01, 2010
due process should take place. if there are allegations for misappropriation, then the laid down protocol should be followed. he should be investigated, and there is nothing wrong with that. if he is innocent then it would self-evident. all these campaign fueled by blind loyalty is unnecessary.
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by aloyemeka2: 3:25am On Feb 01, 2010
trueword:

I hope that there is a large turnout so that a clear message will be sent to leave Fashola alone. Even if Fashola is a bit scared, I'm sure that seeing Lagosians rallying for him will give him a lot of confidence that he will not have to fight off his detractors alone.

So, if Fashola is embezzling money, he should be allowed to go scotfree because D'banj and other agberos in Lagos are supporting him?. Need I remind you that they did the same thing for Abacha[ 2 million man march]. If Fashola is clean, they should allow them to investigate him if he is not hiding anything. It's not as if he was dethroned from office or there was an election and Tinubu and co rigged another person in. It's only an investigation and you guys are running amok. Una no get job?. Haba.
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by Nobody: 3:30am On Feb 01, 2010
Kay 17:

due process should take place. if there are allegations for misappropriation, then the laid down protocol should be followed. he should be investigated, and there is nothing wrong with that. if he is innocent then it would self-evident. all these campaign fueled by blind loyalty is unnecessary.

Story story!!!! Story!!!!!

Just like Fashola answers to the State House of Assembly as representative of the people, so too does the House of assembly answer to the people.

A situation where the House of Assembly begins to engage in negative activities which the wider public considers as not being for the public good then there is a problem. There is failure of democracy and the people have every right to react because democracy is about the people.

If the House chooses to be loyal to Tinubu rather than the people, the people have every right to mobilise themselves in their constitutencies to re-call any House member who is involved.

I believe this rally is a first step to what can happen, if the House don't apply caution Fashola can mobilise the people against them. He has the power of incumbency.
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by Nobody: 3:32am On Feb 01, 2010
aloy-emeka:

So, if Fashola is embezzling money, he should be allowed to go scotfree because D'banj and other agberos in Lagos are supporting him?. Need I remind you that they did the same thing for Abacha[ 2 million man march]. If Fashola is clean, they should allow them to investigate him if he is not hiding anything. It's not as if he was dethroned from office or there was an election and Tinubu and co rigged another person in. It's only an investigation and you guys are running amok. Una no get job?. Haba.

This people are simply protesting that the largesse no dey reach them. It is not in the interest of the public. They are misusing their office and if the wider public they are satisfied with their Governor they have every right to react.

Democracy is not a one way traffic. All should be accountable to somebody.
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by trueword: 3:56am On Feb 01, 2010
aloy-emeka:

well the march should at least let the assembly know that it should be sincere in whats its doing. It better not be some political plot to oust Fashola is all I'm saying. With Abacha most people knew he was no good. I don't believe that he was busy trying to build up Nigeria into a great nation. I'm just skeptical about the whole thing with Fashola because I don't remember them having any investigation on Tinubu or other governors that were looting.

It's not like if Fashola was misappropriating any funds that the next person that comes into office will not do the same. At that, the next person may even refuse to continue building the city. If Nigerian system would allow for the peple's vote to be heard, then I wouldn't have a problem removing anyone that is performing because the next one would know that the people would not tolerate any misconduct. But unfortunately, it's not like that right now. So right now I'm for protecting those governors that actually show some concern about the well being of the people and state rather than give an opportunity to those that will be there to cleanout the treasury and let the state rot.
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by McKren(m): 4:03am On Feb 01, 2010
hungry lawmakers!!!!

Make them go sidon jo!!!!
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by sjeezy8: 5:01am On Feb 01, 2010
aloy-emeka:

Aloy has always had problems comprehending articles he reads, for some reason he reads everything backwards and inside out.

what proper investigation would take place by an (AC dominated)house assembly pannel who were handpicked by Tinubu himself? Guy use your brain.

@post
Lagos state house assembly basically apointed by Tinubu, putting together an investigation which could impeach Fashola- who Tinubu is at logger heads with over not renewing Tinubu and cos . . . contracts.

omo ale ni tinubu- the same shet he did to Pedro.

Bola Tinubu vs Femi Pedro
Against this backdrop, the State Assembly went into action on alleged Tinubu's order, and impeached Femi Pedro. That terminated his brilliant political career.

Bola Tinubu vs Burknor Akerele
While Tinubu accused her deputy of arrogance and pride, she equally accused his boss of scheming her out of governance. By the time their tenure was going to an end, Akerele had remained a stranger in the party and all efforts by the elders of the party to douse the tension failed.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200912140238.html
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by babapupa: 5:32am On Feb 01, 2010
aloy-emeka:

This man and his caveman thinking sha. Is it a crime in Nigerian to match in support, to protest and demonstrate?

Is Fashola a tried and convicted criminal in Mr Bassy Aloy Chukwu Emeka's Jungle court? Abi the people wey dey match follow comot akpu from ya table ni,

Ode buruku.
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by aloyemeka2: 5:58pm On Feb 01, 2010
sjeezy8:

[size=14pt]what proper investigation would take place by an (AC dominated)house assembly pannel who were handpicked by Tinubu himself?[/size] Guy use your brain.

Tinubu hand picked them?. Is Fashola at war with Tinubu or AC?. If all of them determine to take him down, D'banj and Bapapupa cannot stop them. It goes to show that Tinubu's stronghold in Lagos state is more than imagined.
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by blacksta(m): 6:16pm On Feb 01, 2010
You know Nigerians they like concerts and Dbanj and co probably see this as another opportunity to rake in some cash. I dont know if anybody remembers the "Light Up Nigeria movement" upon all the noise it turned into a mere concert and up till today we are still in darkness - Guess what some artists made money out it
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by forpeace: 6:42pm On Feb 01, 2010
Fashola the executive  governor of corruption has once again attempted to use the media in the form of celebrities and his raji fashola fans club,to attempt to hoodwink the people once again to viewing the white paper report indicting him as victimizing.

The report clearly and elaborately stating fashola's excesses and with full names and contact details of the authors is being carefully deliberated by the house of assembly. . .if after investigation fashola is found guilty not even a brad pitt rally or micheal jackson from the grave can save him. .

Instead of fashola responding to the allegations he's using celebrities who's only love and interest is money in their pockets to confuse the pple into thinking 'fashola is our person,whatever bad he does cannot be true' . .shameful for this governor. . .shameful. . .The assembly are the custodians of the law. . let them interprete. . .CORPORATE CORRUPTION IN THE NAME OF BRF MUST COME TO AN END. .we need to even further investigate how much was approved for this deceitful and misleading rally in question. .

What moral right has 9ice or dbanj got to speak in an issue as this? ?give me a rally led by the soyinka's and falana's and i'll agree. .

Fashola lacks ideas sef. . .he's so lost he needs pple of bright minds to survive this . , he obviously lacks them
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by ayettymama(f): 7:10pm On Feb 01, 2010
This is an obvious attempt to ruin his reputation

by his political opponents no doubt

who else will spend soo much money printing trash in the papers??

the missapropriations we know about are still yet to be aknowledged??

ive sed it b4 and i will say it again

lagosians are ungrateful monkeys!

lol oops i thot they were rallyin for!
i will kill for a fashola style gov.t in my state!
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Feb 01, 2010
@aloy-emeka
dont be such a hypocrite. where ever your home town is located, i know you are tired of those serially ineffective ibo govs and grandpas running your state like village squares. you are all just jealous about the fact that fash is a yoruba man. please give me the name of any ibo man or gov who has done 1/10th of what brf has done?
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by aloyemeka2: 7:20pm On Feb 01, 2010
yemi313:

@aloy-emeka
dont be such a hypocrite. where ever your home town is located, i know you are tired of those serially ineffective ibo govs and grandpas running your state like village squares. you are all just jealous about the fact that fash is a yoruba man. please give me the name of any ibo man or gov who has done 1/10th of what brf has done?

Jesus wept.
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by Nobody: 7:23pm On Feb 01, 2010
Still on fashola matter? Did seun and his crew join the protesters cuz the homepage has not been updated since yesterday!!!
Re: D’banj, 9ice, Others Take Rally To Lagos Assembly:::this Is Just The Beginning. by babapupa: 8:25pm On Feb 01, 2010
blacksta:

You know Nigerians they like concerts and Dbanj and co probably see this as another opportunity to rake in some cash. I dont know if anybody remembers the "Light Up Nigeria movement" upon all the noise it turned into a mere concert and up till today we are still in darkness - Guess what some artists made money out it

I bet you'd like us to ignore the fact that they're tax paying and concerned lagosians too right?,

Nice try,

(1) (Reply)

You Lied Over Power Outages, Ibb Replies Jonathan / Buhari Weeps •it’s A Public Show Of Shame - Pdp / White Man Calls Nigerian Workers Black Monkeys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.