Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,898 members, 7,956,390 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:03 AM

See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! (7029 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of Sco Pa Tu Manaa? / APC UK Mocks Corpers Who Don't Know Meaning Of 'CCTV' & 'vertebrae' (video) / ADDY: This Word Has Been Trending online For Sometime Now, See The Meaning Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by constance500: 11:41am On Jul 08, 2017
toffy333:
Many of us think dope is used to describe something good or beautiful, but unfortunately dope means different thing entirely.
Check out the meaning of dope according to the dictionary!

Noun: dope
(pl. dopes
|dowp|
A street name for marijuana
= Mary Jane, gage, grass, green goddess, locoweed, pot, sens, sess, skunk, smoke, weed
An ignorant or foolish person
= boob, booby, dumbbell, dummy, pinhead
[American] Carbonated drink flavored with extract from kola nuts ('dope' is a southernism in the United States)
= cola
Slang term for inside information • is that the straight dope?
= low-down, poop, the skinny
Verb: dope
(dopes, doped, doping)
|dowp|
Take drugs to improve one's athletic performance
(electronics) add impurities to (a semiconductor) in order to produce or modify its properties • The resistors have been doped
(medicine) give a narcotic to • The athletes were doped by the coach before the race
= dope up
Derived
Noun: dopant, doper
Adjective: dopey, dopy
See also
dope off, dope up.

I thought i was dope before but now i ain't dope again!

Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by johnbuck81(m): 1:42pm On Jul 08, 2017
charlesluthor:

Sense fall on U.. Daft Ram
sense fall on ur papa.
Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by femi4: 2:47pm On Jul 08, 2017
toffy333:
Many of us think dope is used to describe something good or beautiful, but unfortunately dope means different thing entirely.

(pl. dopes
|dowp|
= Mary Jane, gage, grass, green goddess, locoweed, pot, sens, sess, skunk, smoke, weed
[American] Carbonated drink flavored with extract from kola nuts ('dope' is a southernism in the United States)
= cola
(dopes, doped, doping)
|dowp|
(electronics) add impurities to (a semiconductor) in order to produce or modify its properties • The resistors have been doped
(medicine) give a narcotic to • The athletes were doped by the coach before the race
= dope up
Derived
See also
dope off, dope up.

That's half truth.

The adjective part nko?

adjective
(comparative doper, superlative dopest)

(slang) Great, amazing, extraordinary, fire.
That party was dope!
Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by jbazic(m): 3:00pm On Jul 08, 2017
and here it's saying (slang) Amazing

Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by Bobody(m): 3:27pm On Jul 08, 2017
This thread is dope!
Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by AustinDBeloved(m): 3:53pm On Jul 08, 2017
toffy333:

(pl. dopes
|dowp|
= cola
(dopes, doped, doping)
|dowp|
= dope up
Derived
See also
dope off, dope up.

I can smell ignorance. Dope can be used as either a noun, verb or adjective. Bro or sis, try and check d adjectival usage. God bless
Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by dammieight(m): 5:36pm On Jul 08, 2017
If I want to describe something extraordinary in slang.. I add "crazy" right? eg..let say a skilled boy.. I would say"heyo! that boy crazy!"... is crazy normally a positive word? nah but the slang has positive meaning of its own.. same goes for "dope" .."nigga" .."OG"..."wizard"..."beast"..."slayer".among others..hope you learn how kids
Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by Emerikoss: 9:37pm On Jul 08, 2017
Whenever I see people using that I'll be asking myself do they even know the meaning the thing just tire me sef
Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by queenDD(f): 12:03am On Jul 09, 2017
grin ;Dlol, you must be dope o
toffy333:

Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by Afodavade(m): 4:14pm On Jun 28, 2019
The use of dope as an adjective entered English slang in the 1980s, by way of rap music:
[img][/img]

1981 J. Spicer Money (song) in L. Stanley Rap: the Lyrics (1992) 301 “Yo, man, them boys is dope… This record is dope.” (OED)

As for the word dopest used in the quotation about Justice Ginsberg, it is a slang expression meaning, “sickest, coolest, tightest, most awesome.” It is not standard usage and does not convey a positive connotation to speakers of standard English.

Re: See The Meaning Of The Word 'dope' Before Using It To Describe Yourself! by trilacos: 9:09am On Jan 30, 2021
refiner:
Ayam dope jare...it is not ur dope! tongue
i want to send u a pm,i hope u dont mind.you can reply anytime u are online.

(1) (2) (Reply)

350,000 Candidates Out Of 1.5m Will Be Offered JAMB Admission / TECNO Renews Partnership With UNHCR To Support Education In Africa For Refugees / Result & Admission For 2012/2013 Unilag Post Graduate School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.