Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,684 members, 7,955,545 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:59 AM

Do Old People Really Have This Habit Of Keeping Things That Are Not Useful ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Old People Really Have This Habit Of Keeping Things That Are Not Useful ? (538 Views)

My Wife And I Are Keeping Malice! / Tell us, do you still do this habit??? / Do Old People Really Have This Habit Of Keeping Things That Are Not Useful ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Old People Really Have This Habit Of Keeping Things That Are Not Useful ? by gidzbobby: 10:21pm On Jul 07, 2017
Good evening n'landers.

so my question, Do old people find it difficult to throw things away

I got my old folks a 3bedroom apartment and to my greatest surprise, I told my mum that she won't be needing most of her stuffs again. She didn't really say anything but I knew it was gonna be war. I decided to assist the boys I hired to pack their stuffs. lol and behold I came across my baby bed, my potty and even the baby basin I used when I was a baby, like that was it...I came across all the footwears I had and that was how my mom started telling me how much she bought each. I pleaded with her to throw most o them away or even give it out, she said she will...
My brothers and sisters, only for me to go and check them out last week at their new apartment, I found out that one of the rooms was already filled with stuffs, the other room was filled with her clothes(meeting attires). I asked ma dad why most of the stuffs haven't been thrown away, he said "ask your mother"...

I don't even know how am gonna help arrange the house.
Re: Do Old People Really Have This Habit Of Keeping Things That Are Not Useful ? by smartty68(m): 10:24pm On Jul 07, 2017
My brother na so we see am o! My papa no gree throw him old things
Re: Do Old People Really Have This Habit Of Keeping Things That Are Not Useful ? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jul 07, 2017
It's much more than just keeping "unnecessary" stuff around, the thing is most people attach memories to these things so it's very hard for them to let go of them. You said your mom kept your baby things, footwear etc. I'm very certain these things remind her of the good old days when you were still a child and under her care, and all those days she'd raised and nurtured you. Now telling her to throw them out is like telling her to throw out all these precious memories. You can't really blame her though. Elderly people are very notorious hoarders.

2 Likes

Re: Do Old People Really Have This Habit Of Keeping Things That Are Not Useful ? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 07, 2017
She is attached to them. Some also believe things from way back were quality _ don't worry, she would give it to your wife.

They are actually useful : my MIL gave me the wooden cot my husband used, go checkout prices of wooden cot on Konga (The cot saved us about N40,000). My mum brought our baby clothes/socks, she even brought pictures where we wore them, to prove she has kept it for decades.

I'm gonna do same for my kiddies.
They are useful #ntoor tongue

2 Likes

Re: Do Old People Really Have This Habit Of Keeping Things That Are Not Useful ? by Evablizin(f): 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2017
Lols old mamas are too much,if keeping those old stuffs gives her joy then let them be

1 Like

Re: Do Old People Really Have This Habit Of Keeping Things That Are Not Useful ? by ashewoboy(m): 10:49pm On Jul 07, 2017
PaperLace:
She is attached to them. Some also believe things from way back were quality _ don't worry, she would give it to your wife. Then you will see it's useful.

My MIL gave me the wooden cot my husband used. The cot saved me about N40,000. Go checkout prices of wooden cot on Konga.
My mum brought our baby clothes/socks, she even brought pictures were we wore them to prove she has kept it for decades.

I'm gonna do same for my kiddies.
They are useful #ntoor tongue

paperlace/kachisbarbie. we have a brawl?
Re: Do Old People Really Have This Habit Of Keeping Things That Are Not Useful ? by gidzbobby: 7:50am On Jul 08, 2017
guess I'll just have to free her then. I'll think of how to pack them somewhere to create space in the room.

(1) (Reply)

A Clear Explanation On How Failure Is Vital To Success / Bianca Ojukwu And Children In Cherishing Photos As She Celebrates Her Birthday / Browse Free For Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.