Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,752 members, 7,820,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State (1824 Views)

Akeredolu Acquires New Amphibious Excavator To Tackle Flooding In Ondo(Pics) / Osinbajo Visits Otuocha, Visit The Areas Affected By The Flooding Inside A Canoe / Lagos Officials Clear Blocked Drainage To Control Flooding In Lekki (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State by c1b4(m): 1:24am On Jul 10, 2017
As we all know this few days have been a terror and a dreadful nightmare for lagosians , due to the unbearable impact of rainfall and the resultant flooding caused by the rain.

Most house owners have deserted their home and flee to a safer place to stay, some people living in storey buildings have the advantage of staying in their upper floor as the water have passed bounds and even entered into most living abodes.

In fact I have done a little bit of research as I wasn't able to reach all the affected areas but fortunately enough I got the names of the affected areas and pictures .
1. Ijora 2. Bariga. 3. Isolo. 4. Oworoshonki. 5. Ketu. 6. Banana Island. 7. Lekki. 8. Aboru Iyana Ipaja area.
http://www.allinfobuzz.com/2017/07/possible-causes-of-flooding-in-lagos.html

Re: Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State by EzeUche(m): 1:37am On Jul 10, 2017
Lagos is below sea level.

As the oceans continue to rise because of global warming, this will occur more frequently.

1 Like

Re: Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State by Lincoln275(m): 4:26am On Jul 10, 2017
hmmmm! ok
Re: Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State by salford1: 5:51am On Jul 10, 2017
global warming and bad drainage system.

Global warming: I remember going to bar beach with my parents and siblings when i was young, and how it use to take us about 20 to 30min to walk to the shoreline from the road(i think Amhadu bello). Today, the shoreline is just beside the road...

1 Like

Re: Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State by davidif: 6:32am On Jul 10, 2017
cos Lagos is sinking. I created a thread about it some years ago.
Re: Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State by Pavore9: 6:43am On Jul 10, 2017
salford1:

Global warming: I remember going to bar beach with my parents and siblings when i was young, and how it use to take us about 20 to 30min to walk to the shoreline from the road(i think Amhadu bello). Today, the shoreline is just beside the road...

You are so right as I recall we had to walk a distance to the shoreline but today it has encroached on land because the Government was not proactive.

Amsterdam is virtually a city built on water but the difference with ours is that they planned around what we regard as a challenge as Amsterdam is also below sea level and worked on controlling it.
Re: Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State by ednut1(m): 7:00am On Jul 10, 2017
salford1:

no shoreline der again na. Sandfilled for eko Atlantic
Re: Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State by BlowBack: 7:48am On Jul 10, 2017
EzeUche:
Lagos is below sea level.

As the oceans continue to rise because of global warming, this will occur more frequently.

This has nothing to do with rising sea levels or climate change

This is as a result of poor urban planning, over development, and severe infrastructure deficit.

The Lekki peninsula is naturally below sea level and is originally composed of shifting shoals of sand.

The flooding in Lekki is expected as the shoal acts as a natural barrier between the Ocean and adjourning Lagoon.

The topography of Lekki is that of a natural marshy wet land and even in its natural state flooding is expected.

By sand filling and developing the area without the right drainage system it is expected that such floods will occur.

In the 90's we use to take long drives from VI down to Ajah without seeing much human settlements.

I was shocked to see just last year how the once pristine Lekki has been destroyed by over development.

torrential rains are a normal occurrence this time of the year in most parts of the south with Lagos not being exempted.

The real problem was a lack of proper environmental impact assessment on the Lekki peninsula and marshlands by the LASG before allowing developmental and human settlements.

The greatest disaster is yet to come as the ongoing eko Atlantic project will surely see coastal encroachment on the atlanric front of the peninsula.

The bar beach coastal erosion was caused by sand filling of the Lekki marshlands and as reclamation works continue on bar beach the sea current will naturally flow parallel the coast towards Lekki thereby causing the problem of Lekki sand filling on bar beach to be experienced in the same Lekki water front.

The real problem is the vision less jakande style urban planning carried out by LASG in the early 2000's.
Re: Possible Causes Of The Flooding In Lagos State by olayemihassan: 12:31pm On Oct 24, 2019
As an hydrologist i can assure you that the main causes of flooding in Lagos are much but firstly we do have proper drainage system here in Lagos, improper management of the road, close to Atlantic ocean, remember the lagoon consist of 22% of the total land area, no correct prediction on weather forecast.

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Relaunches Radio Station, Now Massively Recruting Members. / Ogun 2019: Ogun State Will Not Go To A Non Indigene - Amosun / Nigerians Will Never Forget These Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.