Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode (21894 Views)

Joe Igbokwe Reacts To His Drainage And Water Resources Appointment By Sanwo-Olu / Shock As Sanwo-Olu Appoints Joe Igbokwe Special Adviser On Drainage / Lagos Officials Clear Blocked Drainage To Control Flooding In Lekki (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by stevecantrell: 12:53am On Jul 11, 2017
omogidi234:

I have heard this statement several times. I would have thought that since the ocean or sea has been driven back miles away, it is time to rejoice.

I will like to have in depth analysis of that your statement.

Many thanks.

I believe environmentalists like Desmond Majekodunmi would be in the best position to do that.
Some dismissed the man as a crackpot and rabble rouser but it turns out his predictions are spot on.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by deomelo: 1:23am On Jul 11, 2017
ChangetheChange:
grin grin grin

Re-Engineeer canals?
Instead of demolishing the entire Lekki and VGC like they did to Maroko

Ambode u are wasting ur time and Lagos state money, if u like restructure the canals, flooding on the island will remain inevitable, as long as Lekki phase 1 and VGC still exists, the flooding will never stop, those estates are meant to be canals/ drainage ways in the first place and not housing estates.

The greatest fear of Lagosians is now The Eko Atlantic Project, the inevitable DOOMSDAY mother of all flood due to the Eko Atlantic is less than ten years from now--Quote me anywhere

The only lasting solution is to Demolish all the houses in Lekki and VgC and convert the whole land to CANAL in order to allow for proper flow of water and prevent flood.

There should be nothing like Lekki phase 1, VGC and other estates on lekki /Ajah axis, those places should be entirely a canal and not housing estates---Quote me anywhere

Good points, but not the red highlight, because EA has nothing to do with flooding and with all the EIA and flood modeling and simulations done by the best marine engeneers in Denmark the world, EA is almost flood proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBK7_nEn8Ac

They went over and above to make EA flood proof and even VI benefits from EA's flod prevention system.

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by dawtune(m): 1:59am On Jul 11, 2017
omogidi234:

I have heard this statement several times. I would have thought that since the ocean or sea has been driven back miles away, it is time to rejoice.

Many thanks.

Sea level is gradually rising all over the world and Lagos as a coastal city isn't an exception.

When ocean surge and heavy precipitation(rainfall) co-occur, the potential for flooding in low-lying coastal areas is often much greater than from either in isolation. However, even now, long-term sea level rise is the main driver for accelerated flooding.
Sea level rise isn't caused by torrential rainfall as the general belief, it occur as a result of the gradual melting of the Antarctica ice sheets which increases all the volume of the world's oceans including the Atlantic Ocean which borders Lagos.
The Antarctica ice is melting on a daily basis due to significant increase in heat caused by climate change.
Seas are now rising an average of 3.2 millimeters per year globally, and are predicted to climb a total of 0.2 to 2.0 meters by 2100.

The phenomenon of ocean surge is not restricted to one spot. The entire coastal area of Lagos is prone to it.
Offshore dredging (sand mining) for construction and land reclamation(sand filling) is the human factor causing coastal erosion in Lagos. Government should regulate frequent dredging of Lagos waters as excessive removal of the sands increases the velocity of water, destruction of the ecosystem and eventually flooding the coastal cities near it.
Lagos Government earmarked 36 Billion Naira for the construction of 3 new islands (Gracefield, Phoenix and Orange) with 18 groynes. This is highly commendable, but it is not enough, there should be intensive beach replenishment coupled with construction of dykes, sea walls and embankments as it is practised in the coastal areas world over.

The 2012 Kuramo Beach ocean surge which claimed 16 lives and destruction of properties brings to mind the importance of Ocean Surge prevention.

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by kennyz10(m): 2:38am On Jul 11, 2017
Poor state of economy threatens our metering target —Ikeja Electric

IKEJA Electric has raised the alarm over the impact of the country’s current economic crunch on its business while linking it to its inability to meet up with its metering project as planned.

To this end, this constraint has prompted the management to alter its original meter roll-out plan.

This came as the company lamented huge deficit in its books owing to customer debt portfolio of over N88 billion which have further hindered efforts to strengthen its infrastructure development.

Source: http://thefulcrumpost.com/poor-state-economy-threatens-metering-target-ikeja-electric/
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by bigtt76(f): 3:28am On Jul 11, 2017
When countries are investing in underground acquaducts to solve flooding issues whilst utilizing the space over them for building structures, some people are her canvassing the demolition of entire estates.

I wonder where this sudden hatred came from. Given the opportunity, I'm sure some people wouldn't mind killing every land owner in Lekki or VGC. A beginner nor be den fault say they could afford it. They chose to stay there for some reason. Besides none have come out to beg for assistance or complain... Let's leave them in peace.

On Ambode's yarns .... Let him and his team clear the drains/canals first and see if flooding would occur before re-engineering sh1t else he would embark on a project that would worsen everything like the on-going road modifications on the Lekki axis

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Markfemi2: 3:32am On Jul 11, 2017
Some tribes are not happy
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by bigtt76(f): 3:35am On Jul 11, 2017
Exactly, the flooding was not as a result of ocean surge but rather in ability of the land to drain back into the sea fast after rain fall. With the drains and canals blocked this would be evident.

Funny that Lagos with poor pipe borne water problems is not even looking at building or creating a water reservoir to collect the run off water and after treatment redistribute same.

The water harvested could even be used to generate cheap electricity if properly planned.

deomelo:

Good points, but not the red highlight, because EA has nothing to do with flooding and with all the EIA and flood modeling and simulations done by the best marine engeneers in Denmark the world, EA is almost flood proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBK7_nEn8Ac

They went over and above to make EA flood proof and even VI benefits from EA's flod prevention system.

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by akigbemaru: 3:47am On Jul 11, 2017
willibounce1:
People that cannot construct simple good roads are talking about drainage. The are just going to demolish people's houses and still won't do anything sensible.

The are already sand filling part of the lagoon in iyana oworo...only God knows what they want to build there.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by deflover(m): 4:24am On Jul 11, 2017
afroniger:
That's what a good leader does, he responds.

and how did he respond
by talking
has talking drained the water in lekki
smh
sense fall on u
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by WachsComedy: 4:39am On Jul 11, 2017
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by ba7man(m): 5:17am On Jul 11, 2017
obataokenwa:
I repeat, prophesy has gone forth that by 2050, Lagos will be consumed by ocean surge. It will look like joke. it has been warned that good drainage system should be built to avert it now cos the signs are even closer than prophesied
This same trash was said in 1847. undecided
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Pylony(m): 5:20am On Jul 11, 2017
Hmmm Politicians, so una no know all these years that its all abt the poor drainage system in the city that is causing the yearly flooding in Lagos, making it look like an annual cultural ceremony?
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by olisaemeka1(m): 5:57am On Jul 11, 2017
omogidi234:

Many thanks.
let's try a simple engineering experiment ......fill a big basin with water then push the water back .....what happens?it spills it's contents because there is no other option for it ...same thing for the project the ocean waters have been driven back but will look for another area to express it's grieviance definitely it will go to where there's lower blockage and spill over there...that's the flood ...the government should rather think of constructing a dam..to hold excess water and that in itself is still temporary solution..I keep telling people that God loves Nigeria that's y a tsunami has not occured tru the Atlantic ocean.

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by deenee: 6:30am On Jul 11, 2017
There is nothing wrong with building on low land or sandfilling if the job and engineering is done right.

The issue is Nigerians typically like to take shortcuts. People build build houses worth 15-20m and above and can't afford to spend 250-500k on a drainage in front of the house.

Also we need to stop dumping refuse in our drainage systems and canals. Infact anybody who is caught doing this should be severely punished and jailed.

It still beats me that someone will pay over 100m for a house in VGC and yet refuse to sort out the drainage right in front of the house.

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by do4luv14(m): 7:58am On Jul 11, 2017
obataokenwa:
I repeat, prophesy has gone forth that by 2050, Lagos will be consumed by ocean surge. It will look like joke. it has been warned that good drainage system should be built to avert it now cos the signs are even closer than prophesied

can you beat that, building homes on what was once a canal, is a common sight in Lagos, even in developed estates, must notably ikeja, the state capital is not even exclude from the list,

yet greed is making Dem planning an Atlantic city in bar-beach, cos they sand fill it, hmmmm EKO I haill oooo

3 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Chuksgeo: 2:52pm On Jul 11, 2017
story for the gods, Lagos is simply below sea level and it wasn't properly considered before developing it especially those Island areas. This is even the least when compared to the coming years
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by laudate: 4:48pm On Jul 11, 2017
bigtt76:
When countries are investing in underground acquaducts to solve flooding issues whilst utilizing the space over them for building structures, some people are her canvassing the demolition of entire estates.

I wonder where this sudden hatred came from. Given the opportunity, I'm sure some people wouldn't mind killing every land owner in Lekki or VGC. A beginner nor be den fault say they could afford it. They chose to stay there for some reason. Besides none have come out to beg for assistance or complain... Let's leave them in peace.

On Ambode's yarns .... Let him and his team clear the drains/canals first and see if flooding would occur before re-engineering sh1t else he would embark on a project that would worsen everything like the on-going road modifications on the Lekki axis

Beautiful! Well said!! May God increase the wisdom He has deposited in your life.... cool

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by bigtt76(f): 7:38pm On Jul 11, 2017
Amen and also you for seeing the same vision as I did kiss

laudate:

Beautiful! Well said!! May God increase the wisdom He has deposited in your life.... cool
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by deomelo: 8:12pm On Jul 11, 2017
bigtt76:
Exactly, the flooding was not as a result of ocean surge but rather in ability of the land to drain back into the sea fast after rain fall. With the drains and canals blocked this would be evident.

Funny that Lagos with poor pipe borne water problems is not even looking at building or creating a water reservoir to collect the run off water and after treatment redistribute same.

The water harvested could even be used to generate cheap electricity if properly planned.

It's correct that we need good drainage system, buy the problem at hand has little or nothing to do with drainage but more about rising water level and inability of seas and lagoons to receive rain water and also because of human activities along the coast lines in places like Lekki blocking natural water pathways back into the ocean.

We need inland water retention basins to collect and store rain water which could be either treated for human use or drain into the sea or lagoon after drips in water level.

Places like the US and Japan with the best drainage system are facing similar challenges and they're tackling the problem with inland water retention ponds which is very cheap and effective.

The only short term problem is finding open land to dig up for the retention ponds to collect and store rain water.

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by omogidi234(m): 5:14am On Jul 12, 2017
olisaemeka1:
let's try a simple engineering experiment ......fill a big basin with water then push the water back .....what happens?it spills it's contents because there is no other option for it ...same thing for the project the ocean waters have been driven back but will look for another area to express it's grieviance definitely it will go to where there's lower blockage and spill over there...that's the flood ...the government should rather think of constructing a dam..to hold excess water and that in itself is still temporary solution..I keep telling people that God loves Nigeria that's y a tsunami has not occured tru the Atlantic ocean.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by omogidi234(m): 5:15am On Jul 12, 2017
dawtune:

Sea level is gradually rising all over the world and Lagos as a coastal city isn't an exception.

When ocean surge and heavy precipitation(rainfall) co-occur, the potential for flooding in low-lying coastal areas is often much greater than from either in isolation. However, even now, long-term sea level rise is the main driver for accelerated flooding.
Sea level rise isn't caused by torrential rainfall as the general belief, it occur as a result of the gradual melting of the Antarctica ice sheets which increases all the volume of the world's oceans including the Atlantic Ocean which borders Lagos.
The Antarctica ice is melting on a daily basis due to significant increase in heat caused by climate change.
Seas are now rising an average of 3.2 millimeters per year globally, and are predicted to climb a total of 0.2 to 2.0 meters by 2100.

The phenomenon of ocean surge is not restricted to one spot. The entire coastal area of Lagos is prone to it.
Offshore dredging (sand mining) for construction and land reclamation(sand filling) is the human factor causing coastal erosion in Lagos. Government should regulate frequent dredging of Lagos waters as excessive removal of the sands increases the velocity of water, destruction of the ecosystem and eventually flooding the coastal cities near it.
Lagos Government earmarked 36 Billion Naira for the construction of 3 new islands (Gracefield, Phoenix and Orange) with 18 groynes. This is highly commendable, but it is not enough, there should be intensive beach replenishment coupled with construction of dykes, sea walls and embankments as it is practised in the coastal areas world over.

The 2012 Kuramo Beach ocean surge which claimed 16 lives and destruction of properties brings to mind the importance of Ocean Surge prevention.

Kudos.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by laudate: 5:21am On Jul 12, 2017
deomelo:

They also said the Titanic could not sink, but guess what? It did! sad
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by tron23(m): 11:36pm On Jul 28, 2017
luminouz:

undecided
I agree DAT ur cursed!
I agree DAT i am not cursed as a Nigerian
Onisokuso oshi......go enter Malaysia naw!!!

Am not cursed. If you understood English, you would understand the message I was trying to convey. I simply meant that the Nigerian govt deliberately makes simple things look so complicated, thereby inflicting hardship on her citizens.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by luminouz(m): 11:59pm On Jul 28, 2017
tron23:

Am not cursed. If you understood English, you would understand the message I was trying to convey. I simply meant that the Nigerian govt deliberately makes simple things look so complicated, thereby inflicting hardship on her citizens.
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Has Turned Condolence Visits To Campaign Rallies —PDP / Preg Woman, Son Of Owner, About-to-wed Lady Died In Rivers Illegal Refinery Fire / Why Atiku, Saraki, Kwankwaso Won’t Return To APC - Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.