Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,062 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode (21893 Views)

Joe Igbokwe Reacts To His Drainage And Water Resources Appointment By Sanwo-Olu / Shock As Sanwo-Olu Appoints Joe Igbokwe Special Adviser On Drainage / Lagos Officials Clear Blocked Drainage To Control Flooding In Lekki (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by kuntash: 9:22pm On Jul 10, 2017
dessz:
true, but there is an adage "a stick in time saves nine" if he had created drainage facilities in advance, there wouldn't have been a high rate of flooding like this.

my opinion tho

Which kind stick be that ?

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by kennypedia(m): 9:22pm On Jul 10, 2017
Hmmm double standards. I want the state government to consider okokomaiko too ooo. the flooding is ^3 (3 much) 17hr of draining water from a single house, it's also preventing us from attending lectures promptly.

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by omogidi234(m): 9:26pm On Jul 10, 2017
stevecantrell:

Eko atlantic is accelerating the doomsday..

I have heard this statement several times. I would have thought that since the ocean or sea has been driven back miles away, it is time to rejoice.

I will like to have in depth analysis of that your statement.

Many thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by slimfit1(m): 9:38pm On Jul 10, 2017
ChangetheChange:
grin

Re-Engineeer

The only lasting solution is to Demolish all the houses in Lekki and VgC and convert the whole land to CANAL on order to allow for proper flow of water or flood

You make sense tire but I doubt people would see sense in your point. But who would like to give up his house ?

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by monimekaz(m): 9:39pm On Jul 10, 2017
This is what I think

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by martineverest(m): 9:46pm On Jul 10, 2017
It won't solve lekki problems...... If u doubt me ask Italian govt what they did to Venice
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by kabaka1: 9:49pm On Jul 10, 2017
wristbangle:
This supposed to have been the earlier plan so that Lagos (Island specifically) would not be encountering this issue of flooding though we can take exception for the fact that naturally the terrain of the island is at/below sea level but the mentality of black man is wire shamefully hence prefer cure to prevention instead of the other way round.

All the same kudos to ambode for his attention on the issue and we look forward to having his prompt action on it.

Lalasticlala, another flood issue again o sad

logically other governors b4 him have thought about the solution to this problem but have weighed how much it will cost to build a modern and effective drainage system vs how less they'll steal if they located a huge budget to solving this problem. in reality, less money will be left for them 2 steal if the problem is solved, so d rather leave d problem unsolved and live in d shame of d problem and make people suffer which the get richer.
It's just a pitiful situation with our people

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by martineverest(m): 9:50pm On Jul 10, 2017
fineboynl:
what type of drainage?? the area is a low land and below sea level.
let them keep deceiving themselves... Italian govt with powerful engineers couldn't arrest the floodings in Venice, but to accept the fate buy reinforcing the foundation and base of houses in the city
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by adecz: 9:51pm On Jul 10, 2017
Have you not heard about Climate Change?

Nothing can be done about Lagos flooding.

Like many coastal countries & towns that

are at or slightly above sea level,
Its just a matter of time,
they are all gonna sink!!

Sorry Lagos sad

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by updatechange(m): 9:53pm On Jul 10, 2017
dessz:
true, but there is an adage "a stick in time saves nine" if he had created drainage facilities in advance, there wouldn't have been a high rate of flooding like this.

my opinion tho

A "stitch" in time saves nine.
In cases like this, this is what a true leader must do... “If we have learnt anything in the ongoing flooding of some parts of the state, it is that there is an immediate, even urgent need for us to embark upon a review and re-engineering of our canals and drainage systems".

The flooding has taught us a lesson, we need to watch the way it came then find a way to channel it into the canals.

modified.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by luminouz(m): 9:58pm On Jul 10, 2017
tron23:
There are certain things about Nigeria that never cease to amaze me. What's so difficult in constructing proper drainage facilities. For God sake its not rocket science. Instead of building pedestrian bridges and commissioning police cars why can't our government focus on the important things. Someone just lost his Honda crosstour (950k Bill), haba.

What exactly does Ambode and tinubu do with all the so called internally generated income. Please tell me what's the essence of building Eco Atlantic when lekki , vgc and Victoria island are all under water.

It's indeed a curse to be born a Nigerian. YES I SAID IT.
undecided
I agree DAT ur cursed!
I agree DAT i am not cursed as a Nigerian
Onisokuso oshi......go enter Malaysia naw!!!
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by martineverest(m): 10:00pm On Jul 10, 2017
three:
Re-engineer?

Like the Lekki-Epe roundabouts?

When you lie that you will do something and believe your own lie that you have done it, there is no need to do it again
no mind those ppl lieing to Themselves... If Venice couldn't arrest the persistent floodings with their powerful engineers and I wonder how Lagos will achieve that
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by luminouz(m): 10:01pm On Jul 10, 2017
martineverest:
It won't solve lekki problems...... If u doubt me ask Italian govt what they did to Venice
Ogbeni shut up!!! Ur just being negative!! Oya proffer solution instead of shouting Venice upandan!!! Is Venice ur country...or it has to be white to be right undecided undecided undecided
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by don4real18(m): 10:04pm On Jul 10, 2017
ChangetheChange:
grin grin grin

Re-Engineeer canals?
Instead of demolishing the entire Lekki phase and VGC like they did to Maroko

Ambode u are wasting ur time and Lagos state money, if u like restructure the canals, flooding on the island will remain inevitable, as long as Lekki phase 1 and VGC still exists, the flooding will never stop, those estates are meant to the canals/ drainage ways in the first place and not housing estates.

The only lasting solution is to Demolish all the houses in Lekki and VgC and convert the whole land to CANAL on order to allow for proper flow of water or flood

There should be nothing like Lekki phase 1, VGC and other estates on lekki /Ajah axis, those places should be entirely a canal and not housing estates---Quote me anywhere
Will you please shed more light
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by martineverest(m): 10:07pm On Jul 10, 2017
luminouz:

Ogbeni shut up!!! Ur just being negative!! Oya proffer solution instead of shouting Venice upandan!!! Is Venice ur country...or it has to be white to be right undecided undecided undecided
lekki ID.iot spotted...... If anybody tells u there is a solution, he or she is just deceiving u. I gave u Venice analogy to give u a clue but u are obstinate.......lekki and Venice are in similar situation but Venice is worse.. To the extent that there is virtually no car in the city but gondolas
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by polymaths(m): 10:07pm On Jul 10, 2017
Oh my God why on earth will I below sea level, and even very close to sea. Well human beings when we have more than enough money we rarely make good decision. For their mind those living on the mainland are the middle class. You will be swimming in your ocean while we the lower or middle class will be on dry land on our mainland. If I hear that you are running back to mainland you left, I will chase you back.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Alphyno: 10:10pm On Jul 10, 2017
marooh:
Arm bode grin

Arm: hand.
Bode: sign for future!

Heheheheheh una go dey where e hand go sign for future drainage till dry season come cheesy grin

Me: I just bought a house for #190 million naira in Lekki

Flood:

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by luminouz(m): 10:12pm On Jul 10, 2017
martineverest:
lekki ID.iot spotted...... If anybody tells u there is a solution, he or she is just deceiving u. I gave u Venice analogy to give u a clue but u are obstinate.......lekki and Venice are in similar situation but Venice is worse.. To the extent that there is virtually no car in the city but gondolas

Bla bla bla!!!!!!!
Be proactive for once!!!! Ur a human being! Who knows u can design d solution n be a millionaire from there.....
BTW....I don't stay in lekki(lmaoooooo) so d joke is on u...Venice guy!!!
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by luminouz(m): 10:13pm On Jul 10, 2017
polymaths:
Oh my God why on earth will build below sea level, and even very close to sea. Well human beings when we have more than enough money we rarely make good decision. For their mind those living on the mainland are the middle class. You be swimming in your ocean while we the lower or middle on our mainland. If I hear that you are running back to mainland you left, I will chase you back.
Oh my gosh!!!! Another one again

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by luminouz(m): 10:15pm On Jul 10, 2017
don4real18:

Will you please shed more light
Shed more light on what DAT guy is clearly drunk!!! undecided
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by martineverest(m): 10:18pm On Jul 10, 2017
luminouz:

Bla bla bla!!!!!!!
Be proactive for once!!!! Ur a human being! Who knows u can design d solution n be a millionaire from there.....
BTW....I don't stay in lekki(lmaoooooo) so d joke is on u...Venice guy!!!
u are just deceiving urself bro.... U just don't want to hear the truth
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Bifwoli: 10:19pm On Jul 10, 2017
femolacqua:
He needs to start with immediate alacrity.

No,no it all starts with you and you and them and not just the governor.

Until Africans especially in congested urban areas start living like civilised humans and stop trashing drains ,piling up huge mounds of garbage on roadsides ,trading on roadsides and putting up illegal structures anywhere then all the well meaning drains the Governors build will still come to naught.

3 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by luminouz(m): 10:20pm On Jul 10, 2017
martineverest:
u are just deceiving urself bro.... U just don't want to hear the truth

*sighs* OK....at least let ambode do his best then we shall see.....
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Chamboor(m): 10:23pm On Jul 10, 2017
Truth be told, most of the canals in Lagos were created by erosion over the years, I stand to be corrected there is no man made canal in Lagos.. I mean a well dredged canal not all this erosion made canal LASG expanded and call it a canal..

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by kingrt2(m): 10:25pm On Jul 10, 2017
Now they know
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by willibounce1(m): 10:38pm On Jul 10, 2017
People that cannot construct simple good roads are talking about drainage. The are just going to demolish people's houses and still won't do anything sensible.

The are already sand filling part of the lagoon in iyana oworo...only God knows what they want to build there.

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 10, 2017
Doing the needful at the right time...
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by laudate: 10:59pm On Jul 10, 2017
afroniger:
That's what a good leader does, he responds.
Ambode is not serious. sadUnder Fashola, they had an Office of Drainage Services, whose job was to clear canals, drainage channels, culverts, storm drains etc. They even had a Permanent Secretary who was an Engineer, heading that office. They worked tirelessly under Fashola, to ensure the canals and storm drains were weeded and kept clear of blockage, before the rainy season started. What happened to that office, after Ambode took over? They all went to sleep. mtcheew...

Another thing is that a lot of dredging and reclamation of land from the lagoon, has been going on unabated in Lekki, Banana Island and its environs, without adequate attention being paid to the surrounding environment, or infrastructure. angry The new 150 hectares estate called Orange Island coming up at the end of Freedom Way, past the 3rd gate of Lekki Phase 1, is a classic case. Land is daily being reclaimed from the lagoon and the sea, so that more plots can be sold to the nouveau riche, at exorbitant prices. Ok, they keep forgetting that water will always find its level. And one day 'agaracha go enter market, e no go return...' sad

4 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by laudate: 11:11pm On Jul 10, 2017
ChangetheChange:
grin grin grin Re-Engineeer canals?
Instead of demolishing the entire Lekki and VGC like they did to Maroko

Ambode u are wasting ur time and Lagos state money, if u like restructure the canals, flooding on the island will remain inevitable, as long as Lekki phase 1 and VGC still exists, the flooding will never stop, those estates are meant to be canals/ drainage ways in the first place and not housing estates.

The greatest fear of Lagosians is now The Eko Atlantic Project, the inevitable DOOMSDAY mother of all flood due to the Eko Atlantic is less than ten years from now--Quote me anywhere

The only lasting solution is to Demolish all the houses in Lekki and VgC and convert the whole land to CANAL in order to allow for proper flow of water and prevent flood.

There should be nothing like Lekki phase 1, VGC and other estates on lekki /Ajah axis, those places should be entirely a canal and not housing estates---Quote me anywhere
Oga, there is no need to demolish houses. sad All they need to do is to construct proper storm water drainage channels that are several feet wide and many metres deep, to channel the floodwater away from different areas of Lekki, Victoria Island and VGC, straight into the lagoon. The lagoon front in all these estates, should be left open and kept free from any structures, so that floods can drain away naturally through those foreshore areas and riverbanks. undecided

Dolphin Estate Ikoyi is another water-logged area that deserves attention. angry When they allowed the mosque and church there to exceed their boundaries, as they sand filled the natural drainage channel through which water runs off into the canal, the whole estate started having massive floods from 2001. Across the bridge on the other side, there was a time the canal close to Osborne Foreshore was unblocked and de-silted, so that storm water could flow through unhindered. This was done under Fashola. Ever since Ambode came in, that drainage canal has been blocked, and the floods have decided to make Dolphin Estate-Ijeh road, their permanent abode. undecided
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by jeffobodo: 11:35pm On Jul 10, 2017
My take

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by majesticSOJ(m): 11:52pm On Jul 10, 2017
My gov

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by almarthins(m): 11:59pm On Jul 10, 2017
obataokenwa:
I repeat, prophesy has gone forth that by 2050, Lagos will be consumed by ocean surge. It will look like joke. it has been warned that good drainage system should be built to avert it now cos the signs are even closer than prophesied

Prophet!!! Na u be d tsunami wey wan swallow Lagos?
Stop making notice jare

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Postponement:  ad-hoc Staff Protest Non Payment Of Allowance In Benue / Femi Adesina: 'Revolution Now' Protest Is Funny & A Child's Play / Buhari Has Turned Condolence Visits To Campaign Rallies —PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.