Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,739 members, 7,837,687 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? (19446 Views)

Are These The Worst Paint Jobs Ever Done On Cars? / The 10 Wonders Nigerian Khaz Custom Did On Cars With Wraps (pictures) / Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Franknerd(m): 9:01am On Jul 18, 2017
erico2k2:

Name and model of car?
Cut your keys,
I think the Keys where misplaced at the shipping ground after it was delivered to the parking lot at the port.
Once your car gets driven into the the ship no one goes there, the keys are left at the ignition.
Loading ur car with fork lift incurs xtra cost,you did not get this bill cos most definitely the keys where lost btw parking lot and ship parking space.

Tnx for ur response! It's Ford Edge 2011. Does it mean I cannot do anything about d lost keys except producing new ones? With all d shipping fees and port charges, the shipping line cannot take responsibility for lost items entrusted in their care? I really want to get to the root of this!

Meanwhile how much would a new set of keys cost?
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 9:28am On Jul 18, 2017
Franknerd:

Tnx for ur response! It's Ford Edge 2011. Does it mean I cannot do anything about d lost keys except producing new ones? With all d shipping fees and port charges, the shipping line cannot take responsibility for lost items entrusted in their care? I really want to get to the root of this!

You call Mr Dauda Gbadamosi on 08077983808,maybe he'll be able to help you out.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by erico2k2(m): 9:51am On Jul 18, 2017
Franknerd:

Ofcos you can do something about it but in the meantime, you want your car up and running.I dunno how much but Im sure they can cutit, my advice is for you to buy a blank key and have them cut it in Nigeria.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sheffyUTD(m): 10:32am On Jul 18, 2017
Franknerd:

Please don't waste your time. The only chance you had to have any claims was before taking delivery from terminal. If your were informed by your agent that key was missing before leaving terminal, it was easy to go to claims section of terminal operator to check their tally sheet if it landed with key in Nigeria. Since it is out, it a story for another day, because for every claims, the section must inspect first.

Sorry for your loss.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by dokiOloye(m): 11:28am On Jul 18, 2017
bravolad:
There's a lot of connivance between Nigeria Customs Service Officials and agents. Most times, agents pay just a fraction of what they charged the importer or car owner as duty. This amount paid represents what the NCS officials have agreed with agents as being sufficient for the particular year model and another percentage of the money is shared between them.

From a personal experience, the major reason clearing of cars is shrouded in secrecy is the level of kickbacks in the process for which the agents & NCS officials benefit hugely from.

Sometime last year, I sought to know if I could clear my car by myself; the reality is NCS official in collaboration with Agents will frustrate your effort to achieve this.

The question is; why is it difficult for an importer to walk into the NCS formation to obtain the cost of of clearing his/her consignment without the need for a middleman?
I spent a little more than one week in that their Tin Can last year and I can authoritatively tell U that d agents are neck deep into d scam wt d custom officials themselves.An agent somebody recommended for me pocketed a large chunk of d money he charged me to clear my car and then paid for 2007 model,used biro to alter d year to 2009 and when customs placed an alert on d car,he started telling me FG increased duty,bla bla bla.
I took d next available flight to Lagos and went to that Tin Can command wt a customs officer friend and d truth was revealed to us.
I ended up spending another 800k in fines and bribes b4 d car was released to me.
The sad part is that that is what 90% of d so called agents do cos I spent at least 7 working days in that Tin Can and was just observing d so called agents perform all sorts of dishonest acts,would call their clients on d phone and tell them all sorts of lies,some will collude wt d custom agents and underpay,when u get on d road wt Ur car,wetin U see,U take.
And for d guy saying U need 30million bla bla bla to set up DTI abi wetin,do U mean to tell us that every of those hungry looking miscreants wt a 50naira paper ID card on his neck paid 30m??
As I said earlier, d customs officials are enjoying d sleaze too,that's why they cannot liberalise d process so ppl can clear their cars themselves cos if d security men at d customs seat don't know u or u don't have that kpakoo ID card, they won't allow U in,U will only rely on what d crooked agents and their partners in crime tell U.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 11:55am On Jul 18, 2017
dokiOloye:
I spent one week in that their Tin Can last year and I can authoritatively tell U that d agents are neck deep into d scam wt d custom officials themselves.An agent somebody recommended for me pocketed a large chunk of d money he charged me to clear my car and then paid for 2007 model,used biro to alter d year to 2009 and when customs placed an alert on d car,he started telling me FG increased duty,bla bla bla.
I took d next available flight to Lagos and went to that Tin Can command wt a customs officer friend and d truth was revealed to us.
I ended up spending another 800k in fines and bribes b4 d car was released to me.
The sad part is that that is what 90% of d so called agents do cos I spent at least 7 working days in that Tin Can and was just observing d so called agents perform all sorts of dishonest acts,would call their clients on d phone and tell them all sorts of lies,some will collude wt d custom agents and underpay,when u get on d road wt Ur car,wetin U see,U take.
And for d guy saying U need 30million bla bla bla to set up DTI abi wetin,do U mean to tell us that every of those hungry looking miscreants wt a 50naira paper ID card on his neck paid 30m??
As I said earlier, d customs officials are enjoying d sleaze too,that's why they cannot liberalise d process so ppl can clear their cars themselves cos if d security men at d customs seat don't know u or u don't have that kpakoo ID card, they won't allow U in,U will only rely on what d crooked agents and their partners in crime tell U.

I'm so sure that you misquoted me. I stated that if you can afford it, YOU CAN SET UP A DTI AND GET AGENTS TO WORK WITH YOU, where did I state that every agent has a licensed DTI?

Your assumption that 90% of agents are fraudulent is one that I'll beg to differ. Importers themselves are the people that turned some agents to who they've become.

There are times that some of us go months without processing one job m, not because we don't know what we're doing but it's because of importers and their decisions.

Let me give you a scenario, there was this importer that called me to clear a 2010 RX350 from the port and I gave him a quote of N2.1m if it was declared with the actual year of manufacture but low and behold the man later gave the job to another agent that charged much lower than N1.6m and while it was been processed,there was an alert on it and he spent more to retrieve the RX.

Many importers fall into this category and you forget that some agents are also Victims of emotions and also have mouths to feed, they're ready to accept any amount thrown at them by importers,just to make ends meet and importers that scared through will believe that they made wise decisions.

Most times when importes start saying " Haba, someone else has charged me lower than what you qouted",I normally tell them to ask the agent for the year he/she has declared the vehicle, you can't just handover money to any agent because he has quoted the least price. Sometimes the cheaper the quote, the higher the risk of impound. I let you know the options before I collect a job, this is how much it's going to cost if we declare it as this year but it's so unfortunate that the same importers will handover the jobs to agents that have quoted much lower prices without asking questions and when there are issues with the process, they turn around to blame the agent,not knowing that it was a clear case of been penny wise, pound foolish.

dokiOloye, I don't know if I've made sense. I'm not trying to defend fraudsters that parade themselves as agents and I'm not a saint too, I've run into issues once in a while but sometimes, we need to blame the importers too cos "awoof dey run belle". It's possible that he charged you what would've cleared your vehicle as 07 because of the amount you gave him and he later ran into issues,he should've told you right from the onset.

2 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 18, 2017
Lots of custom clearing agents are corrupt

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 12:34pm On Jul 18, 2017
Alexkene:
Lots of custom clearing agents are corrupt

So,what do you say about importers that also use them to shortpay government. The larger society turned them into what they're.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Marpol: 3:36pm On Jul 18, 2017
saintjoel:

So,what do you say about importers that also use them to shortpay government. The larger society turned them into what they're.

Bros if you know what some of your fellow agents do, you will weep. Check out this scenario, an agent quoted 850k to clear a 2005 GX470. He was given the money and he cleared the car. Lo and behold when the custom papers was checked he paid 150k officially and pocketed the rest.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 3:41pm On Jul 18, 2017
Marpol:

Bros if you know what some of your fellow agents do, you will weep. Check out this scenario, an agent quoted 850k to clear a 2005 GX470. He was given the money and he cleared the car. Lo and behold when the custom papers was checked he paid 150k officially and pocketed the rest.

Sir, In a situation like this, I will suggest that the agent is arrested or dealt with in anyway the importer finds appropriate. That's absolute wickedness and I'll not be a party nor defend any agent caught in the act.

Why can't some agents just learn to say the truth atimes,its better to stay days at home to rest peacefully without a job to process, than spend days looking over shoulders because of a shady job that you've done. I've done or two in my teething days and I can't imagine the way my BP rises anytime they called me, I always assumed the vehicles have been caught by customs even when they were calling for other stuff.

So now, I just sleep at home and watch DSTV all day when I don't have jobs, it pays more than having customers searching around for me with assassins and curses

3 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by dokiOloye(m): 5:39pm On Jul 18, 2017
saintjoel:

Sir, In a situation like this, I will suggest that the agent is arrested or dealt with in anyway the importer finds appropriate. That's absolute wickedness and I'll not be a party nor defend any agent caught in the act.

Why can't some agents just learn to say the truth atimes,its better to stay days at home to rest peacefully without a job to process, than spend days looking over shoulders because of a shady job that you've done. I've done or two in my teething days and I can't imagine the way my BP rises anytime they called me, I always assumed the vehicles have been caught by customs even when they were calling for other stuff.

So now, I just sleep at home and watch DSTV all day when I don't have jobs, it pays more than having customers searching around for me with assassins and curses
This last paragraph of yours shows U clearly know a sizeable number if not d majority of Ur so called agents colleagues are crooked but U have been denying it all d while.
As per arresting d so called agent when they perform their usual magic,if U arrest them,that same una union will rally round,give d equally corrupt police small money and d guy is out by evening of d same day,I was warned that it would be a waste of resources if I wanted to tow that route when a crooked agent dealt wt me.
As per d society turning someone into a bad person,that is usually an excuse an originally bad person gives.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 6:31pm On Jul 18, 2017
dokiOloye:

This last paragraph of yours shows U clearly know a sizeable number if not d majority of Ur so called agents colleagues are crooked but U have been denying it all d while.
As per arresting d so called agent when they perform their usual magic,if U arrest them,that same una union will rally round,give d equally corrupt police small money and d guy is out by evening of d same day,I was warned that it would be a waste of resources if I wanted to tow that route when a crooked agent dealt wt me.
As per d society turning someone into a bad person,that is usually an excuse an originally bad person gives.

From all i've stated, i've not denied that there are crooked agents neither have I said that all agents are straight forward.

From experience, ALNCA has never supported any agent caught in fraudulent acts, the only instances that might occur sometimes involves a importer that already knew what the agent was going to do while processing the job but not exco member will never support an AGENT that has been caught in the act. They might also beg the parties involved to settle things without involving the police or court but if the importer insists on going on with the case, they might also help the agent contribute money. There was a time armed robbers robbed me while I was delivering a VENZA around 2014 and I was arrested by police on the suspicion that I was involved in the theft,the association only made sure that they involved themselves only when it was clear that I didn't know about the theft but not before. I spent 48hrs with SARS in Ikeja before they came to bail me and sort things out the importer.

You can go online to see instances that importers have taken agents to court and also allowed police arrest them but note, if your agent isn't a member of ALNCA, there's nothing that they can do. The person that advised you not to report played pranks on you sir.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sultaan(m): 12:37pm On Jul 19, 2017
I do understand the those in the clearing business have to defend their livelihood, but it seems like they are the only one on the other side of the line here.

In a normal system things are made to be user friendly and it seems none of the process at the ports is user friendly. If your customers give you a negative feedback it is the right thing for you to take it as is and improve not point accusing fingers back at others. Agents should go to a flat rate system.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
dokiOloye:

I couldn't agree more.

As stated earlier, it's only in Nigeria that you'll find this mostly uneducated set of people that hamper free trade.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 19, 2017
dokiOloye:
I spent a little more than one week in that their Tin Can last year and [b]I can authoritatively tell U that d agents are neck deep into d scam wt d custom officials themselves.[/b]An agent somebody recommended for me pocketed a large chunk of d money he charged me to clear my car and then paid for 2007 model,used biro to alter d year to 2009 and when customs placed an alert on d car,he started telling me FG increased duty,bla bla bla.

Of course, they are.

They are all mostly ticks feeding on the populace.

Nigeria is a good beautiful country, it's just partly infested by mostly crooked citizens with low morals.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by jpphilips(m): 12:07pm On Jul 21, 2017
saintjoel:

IF YOU ASK ME, NA WHO I GO ASK.

i've been operating at tincan and port for several years and the issue of duty is one that even our association has been unable to trash things out with customs.

Federal Ministry of Finance churns out the tariff and customs hand it over to us through the valuation unit . If you want me to be sincere with you, how they arrive at what we call the dollar value is even unknown to us as agents.

The day Dikko made GEJ's government know that there was free money to be made through import duty at the ports and borders was the day that they started increasing duty anyhow and it's so unfortunate that this present government is still using the same template.

If you can afford to pay it, ship it. Buy from Nigerian dealers if you can't.

The Nigerian Automotive law that gave rise to this tariff madness was signed in 2014 into law.
We are feeling it now because of weakened naira.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by jpphilips(m): 12:10pm On Jul 21, 2017
oliverjiad:
boss nice write up,in fact we need importer/ shipper platform to fight along with agent against this because we can't do it alone u guys pay the money while agent suffer the whole problemand customs go home and enjoy the money

Boss my advice is if ure not sure of the quote u getting either here or out here please kindly inform ur agent to take u to the customs valuation unit and get the real duty to avoid embarrassment so as to be rest assured

These all I can say for the now

Jaid

Customs evaluation unit doesn't have a website??
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by jpphilips(m): 12:24pm On Jul 21, 2017
saintjoel:

We all know that ANLCA can't do all the work alone when an average Nigerian doesn't even complain about policies by government and their agencies. They knew what they were doing all along when they systematically increased duties and also stopped vehicle importation across the border . The association fought against all of these policies but an average Nigerian didn't bother to raise his/her voice.

I dont understand what you mean, sometimes you try and be panoramic in your insinuations, has ANLCA staged a boycott to this effect?
What do you want Nigerians to do when you are too powerless to disrupt the system?

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 1:47pm On Jul 21, 2017
jpphilips:

I dont understand what you mean, sometimes you try and be panoramic in your insinuations, has ANLCA staged a boycott to this effect?
What do you want Nigerians to do when you are too powerless to disrupt the system?

To answer your questions, ALNCA has tried so many time to boycott the policies by going on strikes and also meeting with top officials of the finance ministry and customs, which they still do till date. The reason why I stated that Nigerians need to join is just that it's the same importers that complain,that always sabotage this efforts too.

I can remember theast strike that we had at SEME border,which was featured in a publication by Naij.com and some other news outlets. The strike was still in the third day when some two OR three importers agreed to pay the new rates and even the illegal rates been collected in the offices by customs,we that decided to go on strike with our excos were now been portrayed by customs to the general public as evil people that just wanted importers to be stranded at the border with their goods and vehicles. If importers try to overlook the number of days that their imports stay in the ports and allow agents continue their protests, things will change but no, they'll not complain.

https://www.naij.com/723774-people-protest-tariffs-increase-corruption-seme-border-photos.html . These was one of our protest last year and by the time some importers started rushing to banks to banks for payments, we the ringleaders were rounded up and we also beared the brunt. Alhaji shittu and the national excos had to come down to Seme border to beg on our behalf before customs allowed us to start operating.

Even ALLI of the F. O. U that we complained about when he started collecting as much as N20,000 - N1m
+ for f.o.u tagging, which was illegal as at that time because we saw no reasons why agents will pay into bank, pay for processing and f.o.u will still collect money for tagging but to our dismay, some importers dropped money for it and the man just went back into business.

This is just a classic example of one of the reasons why strikes and every other efforts by ALNCA have sometimes failed,it always seems as if the people they're fighting for seem to be okay with the policies, that's why they rush to pay anytime there's hike in tariff.

I hope what I've written now makes sense to you.

2 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by oliverjiad(m): 3:28pm On Jul 21, 2017
jpphilips:

Customs evaluation unit doesn't have a website??
u can only get all u need at Tincan customs Valuation unit
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by ExLaidback: 2:36pm On Jul 25, 2017
saintjoel:

There's no country that importers pay import duties without agents. The only issue we have is just because the entire system is corrupt and government has been using it as an avenue to exploit Nigerians for years but I learnt that our duty is still okay compared to some other countries. I've clients from Ghana and Cameroon that sometimes call us to process Nigerian duty and plate numbers for their vehicles and the drive with Ecowas driver's licenses,,people even come from Republic of Benin. Our systems is just filled with loopholes and even we as agents bear the brunt because people believe we're rolling in money just because we're agents.

Bro I've read all your posts and I'm quite impressed and informed with the amount of information passed and the clarity and maturity with which you've done so. But kindly do me a favour and post the customs valuation $ costs for Lexus, Mercedes, Hyundai and Kia brand of cars from say 2007 to 2014. The one you posted is just for Camry and Honda (though they were kind of blurred).

Thanks
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by komekn(m): 8:53pm On Jul 25, 2017
As we all know it's very difficult to get clarity on customs about duty tariffs.

What I do know that the tariff in commercial vehicles is considerably less than for other vehicles.

In this regard is the tariff for pick-up trucks and mini vans still classed in the commercial vehicles designation.

Finally what designation will a Ford F150 and F250 as well as the Dodge Ram 1500 and 2500 be in. And if I was to import these vehicles 2009 what will it cost me in duty and clearances please
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by oliverjiad(m): 4:28am On Jul 26, 2017
komekn:
As we all know it's very difficult to get clarity on customs about duty tariffs.

What I do know that the tariff in commercial vehicles is considerably less than for other vehicles.

In this regard is the tariff for pick-up trucks and mini vans still classed in the commercial vehicles designation.

Finally what designation will a Ford F150 and F250 as well as the Dodge Ram 1500 and 2500 be in. And if I was to import these vehicles 2009 what will it cost me in duty and clearances please

mornibg and thanks for the understanding f150,250,2500 fall to the category of car duty with the customs and clearing the 2009 will cost you #f150:#800,000
f250:#1.150m

same as the Dodge Ram

jaid
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 9:09am On Jul 26, 2017
sultaan:
I do understand the those in the clearing business have to defend their livelihood, but it seems like they are the only one on the other side of the line here.

In a normal system things are made to be user friendly and it seems none of the process at the ports is user friendly. If your customers give you a negative feedback it is the right thing for you to take it as is and improve not point accusing fingers back at others. Agents should go to a flat rate system.

If Nigerian ministry of finance and Customs come out with a flat rate in the tarrif, agents will willingly implement it cos we're not the people that came up with the policies.

Also, you can go through this thread to see what our national body was able to gain from one of their meetings with customs.

https://www.nairaland.com/3946929/respite-importers-motorists-ali-sacks

Alhaji Shittu is working so hard to bring sanity to the system and we all need the cooperations of Nigerians too.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by komekn(m): 11:36am On Jul 26, 2017
oliverjiad:
mornibg and thanks for the understanding f150,250,2500 fall to the category of car duty with the customs and clearing the 2009 will cost you #f150:#800,000
f250:#1.150m

same as the Dodge Ram

jaid

Thank you very much for your response.

However, the material question which will be used to qualify the duty remains unanswered.

Pick up trucks by nature and format are considered to be commercial vehicles. This is a general trend across the globe. What use I put my commercial vehicle too does not determine it's designation.

The mini vans sit in a some what fluid and ambiguous designation.

Let me expand my question having read the tariff designations (albeit some time ago ) in which commercial vehicles had considerably less duty.

What vehicles then are classed as commercial

Currently do commercial vehicles have a lower % tariff than non commercial vehicles.

Are pick up trucks regardless of tonnage commercial vehicles in the context of vehicular duty tariffs by customs.

Many thanks in advance to all informed contributors for taking up this most informative discourse.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by oliverjiad(m): 1:12pm On Jul 26, 2017
komekn:

Thank you very much for your response.

However, the material question which will be used to qualify the duty remains unanswered.

Pick up trucks by nature and format are considered to be commercial vehicles. This is a general trend across the globe. What use I put my commercial vehicle too does not determine it's designation.

The mini vans sit in a some what fluid and ambiguous designation.

Let me expand my question having read the tariff designations (albeit some time ago ) in which commercial vehicles had considerably less duty.

What vehicles then are classed as commercial

Currently do commercial vehicles have a lower % tariff than non commercial vehicles.

Are pick up trucks regardless of tonnage commercial vehicles in the context of vehicular duty tariffs by customs.

Many thanks in advance to all informed contributors for taking up this most informative discourse.

okay sir

the material is a van category and it attract the tariff of car duty of 35% duty

currently all vehicles based on commercial duty are no more commercial duty, they all based on 35% including the sedan and SUV bodies

even the trucks and and pickup are based on 35% and tonnage are used when u want to pay shipping and terminal charges here, but in the customs nothing like tonnage to calculate vehicle duty

jaid
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by aninweze(m): 2:56pm On Jul 26, 2017
synergybj:
To calculate custom duty, your duty is calculated based on summing up surface duty (% of CIF), surcharge, administrative charge (CISS), ECOWAS Trade Liberalization Scheme (ETLS), and 5% VAT.

In your case, FOB + Freight and Insurance cost = CIF which is #4,400,000 in your case.

Surface duty @35% is 1,540,000
Surcharge @7% of surface is 107,800
ETLS @ 0.5% of CIF is 22,000
CISS @1% of FOB ($10,000) is 36,700
VAT @5% of all above is 85,325
Total duty payable is 1,791,825.

I hope this helps u.

Wat if someone falsifies the cost of purchase, quotes a much cheaper price as cost of purchase? This would reduce these outrageous percentages ryt?
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sultaan(m): 3:52pm On Jul 26, 2017
aninweze:

Wat if someone falsifies the cost of purchase, quotes a much cheaper price as cost of purchase? This would reduce these outrageous percentages ryt?

Apparently you missed how we got to this point.

The Nigerian system does not cafe how much you bought the car, you have you go to a clearing agent who will charge you any amount he wants for him to go to the Nigerian customs evaluation unit to determine how much your car is worth from their secret database then charge you 35% duty and some bribe money(gate/floor money) before you can get the car you have been saving money for. To make this worse the valuation is higher than the market value.

If I spent years working like a slave to put money aside for a car, and the Hausa custom official now tell me he will seize my car in Lagos if I don't pay him N1m at Lagos port. All the hard work other ethnic group to bring wealth back into the country is now being taxed by the owners of our country @35%.
Has anyone ever seen an Hausa man work for London buy car take back home?
Is is possible for an Igbo customs official to charge Fulani man 20% duty on imported beef from Niger?
What percentage of customs officer are posted to the northeast borders to watch for influx of weapons destroying the country

3 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 26, 2017
aninweze:

They are not stupid, I think they go by their own valuation based on YOM.

Besides the way to fight this is not to falsify documents which is corruption. The way to fight it is to render all concerned useless.

We should limit our purchases to Nigerian used or manufactured vehicles. They will be forced to renegotiate the fees when they become hungry.

For now, it's a cash cow, and like shooting fish in a bucket.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 26, 2017
oliverjiad:
okay sir

the material is a van category and it attract the tariff of car duty of 35% duty

currently all vehicles based on commercial duty are no more commercial duty, they all based on 35% including the sedan and SUV bodies

even the trucks and and pickup are based on 35% and tonnage are used when u want to pay shipping and terminal charges here, but in the customs nothing like tonnage to calculate vehicle duty

jaid

Please clarify this for me.

ALL vehicles entering Nigeria, regardless of class/size, pays 35% duty?

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

9 Most Common Car-buying Mistakes To Avoid / Now You Can Report VIO Sighting On Twitter / ​Hyundai Develops Fingerprint Tech To Unlock And Start Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.