Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,985 members, 7,825,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians (17351 Views)

Buhari Approves New Electricity Tariff; Rich Nigerians To Pay More / Electricity Tariff To Increase On Wednesday Despite Lockdown In Nigeria / The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by nwakibie3(m): 7:28am On Jul 14, 2017
The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, has said Nigerians should stop going to court to stop electricity tariff review, describing the planned review as necessary.

Fashola stated this on Thursday at a public lecture organised by the Department of Economics, University of Lagos, where he spoke on the power sector reform in Nigeria, challenges and the way forward.

He said he fully supported the privatisation of the power sector, adding, “I believe, however, that the privatisation that we did in 2013 was well-intentioned but delivered with some deception.”

The minister, however, opposed the calls for the cancellation of the privatisation from some quarters, but highlighted the need to rework the process and make it work.

Speaking on tariff, he stated, “Tariff is not fixed by the minister; I don’t fix tariff. I have no power over it. What happened during the last tariff exercise was that I expressed an opinion of support for the tariff.

“Tariff is fixed by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission. Tariff proposals come from your Discos who should have met with you at consultative meetings. When tariff meetings are called in the future, everybody must be there.”

According to the minister, there are major and minor tariff reviews, and a major review is due every five years, but a minor review is due every six months.

“It doesn’t mean every time a minor review is due, the tariff will increase. If exchange rate is N165 (to a dollar) when the tariff was reviewed and then it goes to N400, put yourself in their shoes,” he said.

Describing tariff reviews as a necessary part of any business, he cited Singapore as one of the countries that had really implemented tariff review for all of its utilities effectively.

Fashola said, “We must stop going to court. I know some lawyers don’t like this. To get injunction to stop tariff reviews, it puts us in the news for the wrong reasons.

“Government must also not interfere with tariff. One of the things that happen in the last elections was that as the elections were coming, the last administration reduced tariff in order to make you and I like them. But it created a massive debt for Nigeria.”

He added that when the government ordered the tariff reduction, it did not reduce interest rates, the exchange rate cost of wages of the staff that were generating power or the cost of gas and other inputs.

The minister said the capacity of the power grid had expanded to 6,200 Megawatts under the President Muhammadu Buhari administration following the completion of some transmission projects.

He said, “When the National Integrated Power Project started, that is over 10 years ago now, several contracts were issued to develop transmission projects. Many of the equipment that were imported by the contractors were trapped at our own ports in 800 containers for almost 10 years, because the government did not budget to pay those contractors.”

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/punchng.com/dont-stop-electricity-tariff-review-fashola-begs-nigerians/amp/

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by madridguy(m): 7:31am On Jul 14, 2017
Ok
Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by hakeem4(m): 7:38am On Jul 14, 2017

The minister said the capacity of the power grid had expanded to 6,200 Megawatts under the President Muhammadu Buhari administration following the completion of some transmission projects

I've been enjoying light in my area sha

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by three: 7:38am On Jul 14, 2017
'Asin'!!...

You know that rat that bites people's flesh in the night and gently blows air on them so they fall back to sleep?

Na APC/FASHOLA be dat!!!!

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 7:40am On Jul 14, 2017
I thought they said fashola got sense....

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by OBAGADAFFI: 7:40am On Jul 14, 2017
NCC regulates tariffs for Telecom companies.
Fashola should tell NERC to do thier jobs.

The govement can and should regulates energy tariffs
grin

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by arushiuga(m): 7:41am On Jul 14, 2017
See what this goat of a minister is saying. Are you saying we should be paying for darkness.

95 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by SalamRushdie: 7:42am On Jul 14, 2017
God punish Fashola, this same man begged us to allow a 50 precentor tariff increase a about a year ago as a pre requisite for better electricity supply , he got his increase and yet power supply dropped instead with consumer paying far more for far less power and instead of this ineffectual masses hater to apologise he is here again asking for tariff increase in which he might even have a kick back percentage embedded in it ..Fashola is clearly in cahoots with the greedy DISCO firms with the sole objective to impoverish the Nigerian people on the altar of his personal greed ..This is how this same Fashola collected toll for years and spent govt fund for year in the Lekki Epe road hiest and didn't ever bother completing the road immediately he had achieved his aim of building the toll gate .

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by wristbangle: 7:42am On Jul 14, 2017
Hmmm! The problem is not about the increase in the tariff rate but the real problem is after the increment, will power supply improve? We all know the answer.

The most annoying thing is those without prepaid meter who get estimated bill from DISCOS will have to pay more now yet not enjoy power service.

The ministry of power needs to get things right and regulate the NERC, GENCOS and DISCOS because they are thieves

5 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by SalamRushdie: 7:47am On Jul 14, 2017
wristbangle:
Hmmm! The problem is not about the increase in the tariff rate but the real problem is after the increment, will power supply improve? We all know the answer.

The most annoying thing is those without prepaid meter who get estimated bill from DISCOS will have to pay more now yet not enjoy power service.

The ministry of power needs to get things right and regulate the NERC, GENCOS and DISCOS because they are thieves

What are you even saying? This is the same tone he used just over a year ago when he increased our electricity tariff by 50 percent and till now not a single improvement has been seen .

26 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by SalamRushdie: 7:50am On Jul 14, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:
I thought they said fashola got sense....

He has never had sense ..Fashola is an underachiever who like to connive with his cronies in the private sector to rip off the masses , look at his whole history in Lagos and mention one of his PPIs that has succeeded from the toll gates to the private power plant he claimed he built ..

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by SweetJoystick(m): 7:52am On Jul 14, 2017
Devil punish you, omo ale

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by wristbangle: 7:54am On Jul 14, 2017
SalamRushdie:

What are you even saying? This is the same tone he used just over a year ago when he increased our electricity tariff by 50 percent and till now not a single improvement has been seen .

We are still on same page. It was increased by 50 percentage yet the significant effect is not well felt. The discos are using exchange rate to count their losses when we know they are hiding under that camouflage to siphon more money.

I am very sure the situation of power would not get better even if the price is review by 200 percentage increase.

The ministry of power, NERC, GENCOS and DISCOS are corrupt but the last two are the real monsters in the power sectors.

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by SalamRushdie: 8:01am On Jul 14, 2017
wristbangle:

We are still on same page. It was increased by 50 percentage yet no significant effect. The discos are using exchange rate to count their losses when we know they are hiding under that camouflage to siphon more money.

I am very sure the situation of power would not get better even if the price is review 200 percentage.

The ministry of power, NERC, GENCOS and DISCOS are corrupt but the last two are the real monsters in the power sectors.

Instead of Fashola to concentrate on getting the DISCOS to start accepting 100 percent of the power wheeled to them by GENCOS he is talking of Tarrif increase when the DISCOS especial that useless EKO disco is primarily neck deep in the evil business of selling darkness to consumers in the 21st century while they reject 70 percent of the power sent thier way by GENCOS, the practice of selling darkness is one of the most hideous economic and consumer crime I have come across and Fashola keeps proving me right that he is a part of it.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 14, 2017
What kind of rubbish talk is this man doing!?

Is it Nigerians fault the exchange rate is fluctuating?

Let's stop allowing this peeps to continue making us suffer

4 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by Nobody: 8:10am On Jul 14, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Instead of Fashola to concentrate on getting the DISCOS to start accepting 100 percent of the power wheeled to them by GENCOS he is talking of Tarrif increase when the DISCOS especial that useless EKO disco is primarily neck deep in the evil business of selling darkness to consumers in the 21st century while they reject 70 percent of the power sent thier way by GENCOS, the practice of selling darkness is one of the most hideous economic and consumer crime I have come across and Fashola keeps proving me right that he is a part of it.

Fashola is the god-son of a tax collector, what he knows best is to collect task. AS the minister, should he not be over-seeing the production, transmission, distribution of power, up to maintaining the amount of power distributed and the distribution of pre-paid meters...rather he turned around and is making life hard for himself not Nigerians, under his watch power has appreciated by over 300% per unit charged, now he's calling for another review...It's clear Fashola doesn't know his role as a Minister...what an empty barrel

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by jjjjj2017: 8:30am On Jul 14, 2017
connectpoint:

Fashola is the god-son of a tax collector, what he knows best is to collect task. AS the minister, should he not be over-seeing the production, transmission, distribution of power, up to maintaining the amount of power distributed and the distribution of pre-paid meters...rather he turned around and is making life hard for himself not Nigerians, under his watch power has appreciated by over 300% per unit charged, now he's calling for another review...It's clear Fashola doesn't know his role as a Minister...what an empty barrel
God bless you for this wonderful write up sir, its high time Nigerians wake up from their slumber.
Good morning sire

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 14, 2017
jjjjj2017:

God bless you for this wonderful write up sir, its high time Nigerians wake up from their slumber.
Good morning sire

Fashola is totally clueless asper the functions of a minister, what he ought to have done immediately after resumption of office was an audit on the entire power sector chain, from gas supply, distribution, rate of power produced,bottlenecks affecting the chain at any levels and implement policies that would unstop the bottlenecks for example, the rule that discos must provide pre-paid meters is good, but the dude is fumbling, when we mention these things, some people say we attack him out of hatred for a specie...the thing makes me weak... Fashola has lost it..or rather doesn't have it at all.. Fashola should :

1. Tell us the exact amount of power Nigeria was generating when he took over and tell Nigerians how it has been improved.

2. Tell Nigeria how much has been realised from the increment and why power hasn't improved despite the heavy burden placed on my people.

3. Give us milestones of what to expect over the next x years

Rather Fashola is fighting with the senate/reps trying to be relevant because Ambode is now the rising figure and his tall dream of being the abobaje or leader of the south west is being decimated by Ambode's sudden rise in popularity..I pity him..Nothing of worth can be said to have been done under his watch... Fidigbon o shi lekun... grammar doesn't make account balance increase...that's his demise....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by jjjjj2017: 8:49am On Jul 14, 2017
connectpoint:

Fashola is overrated grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 14, 2017
jjjjj2017:

Fashola is overrated grin grin grin

Like the Calamity called Buhari....It's not in abundance we know men of skill and competence, it's in lack..that's why i sing praises of Fayose my man, but f00lish people won't understand, a man inspite of serious financial deficit, with a large workforce still maintaining a state, abeg Fayose hasn't failed...( f00ls, do not quote me, if not thunder fire you )

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by Jengem: 9:02am On Jul 14, 2017
SalamRushdie:
God punish Fashola, this same man begged us to allow a 50 precentor tariff increase a about a year ago as a pre requisite for better electricity supply , he got his increase and yet power supply dropped instead with consumer paying far more for far less power and instead of this ineffectual masses hater to apologise he is here again asking for tariff increase in which he might even have a kick back percentage embedded in it ..Fashola is clearly in cahoots with the greedy DISCO firms with the sole objective to impoverish the Nigerian people on the altar of his personal greed ..This is how this same Fashola collected toll for years and spent govt fund for year in the Lekki Epe road hiest and didn't ever bother completing the road immediately he had achieved his aim of building the toll gate .

Olowolafe, chairman of eko disco is his bossom friend. He gave him a lot of contracts in lagos which he used to buy eko disco. Kickbacks are sure

7 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 14, 2017
Fashola has finished, Fashola ti tan, He should go to a retirement home...ko lo ma "sha se"... e so fun Fash, ko lo ma sha se.. o ti la na
Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by TechRev: 9:34am On Jul 14, 2017
Fashiola is a very big yaba left escapee. I dont blame him.

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by ivandragon: 9:41am On Jul 14, 2017
its inevitable...
Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by fineboynl(m): 9:58am On Jul 14, 2017
its true fashola performance in Lagos was over hyped. and i believe someone like fayose would performed better than fashola in Lagos from what we are witnessing from abode, its shows any governor will still do better in Lagos because Lagos is rich.

now to the electricity tariff review. even if they increased it to one million me and you knows that there won't be any meaningful change. if they cannot operate it under the current review they should as a matter of fact handover it back to the government or the sell it back. government should stop interference with private investors. these guys are running business for crying out loud. they should put them on the toe with strict orders. it's not by force if they can't run it they should hand it back to government.

6 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by DWJOBScom(m): 10:41am On Jul 14, 2017
Scam government! Clueless head

Grant them the review and hear another update why they still can maintain power installations.

Lazy and unfocused leaders., If only people can leave tribalism and zombism(is there's a word like that) and let's give these BOYS a direction
Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by owaeghianye(m): 10:43am On Jul 14, 2017
The minister said the capacity of the power grid had expanded to 6,200 Megawatts under the President Muhammadu Buhari administration following the completion of some transmission projects

This low budget asss moda bleeping minister of darkness should shut da Bleep up.
Imagine!! !
Continuously lying to the masses. This government is a mistake
No light in Benin City

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by Viking007(m): 10:43am On Jul 14, 2017
arushiuga:
See what this goat of a minister is saying. Are you saying we should be paying for darkness.
He is a real goat. I am being charged N11,000 monthly (estimated billing, the idiots refused to give us meters) for a 2 bedroom flat! As if I own a pure water factory inside my house.

8 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by LastSurvivor11: 10:44am On Jul 14, 2017
I didn't bother reading what minister of darkness has to say..

Meanwhile, am donating 70mb for a video call with buhari to Nigerians..

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians by Nobody: 10:45am On Jul 14, 2017
Hmmm

Hi dearie.. Do you want to start a business? You want to prepare ahead? EntMirror is for you wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Willie Obiano Inspects Work On 280 Meter Bridge Leading To Oilfields / Obasanjo: As President I Didn't Pursue Personal Interests / The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.