Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,045 members, 7,814,586 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It (11293 Views)

Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! / 5 Signs You’re Underpaid / Signs You’re Too Close To Your Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 14, 2017
* You find your job advertised online
* Your boss asks you to write standard operating procedures for everything you do
* Your day-to-day tasks slowly start getting reassigned to other people (or you’re asked to train others on how to do them ‘just in case’)
* You’re not being invited to meetings that you used to be included in

What You Should Do About It

Schedule time on your boss’s calendar to speak with him or her. If they ask what the meeting is about, say that you are seeking guidance about an issue that is better addressed face to face than electronically. You don’t want to give your boss time to prepare for this conversation. You’re more likely to receive candid answers this way. If your boss has the ability to prepare for this discussion then you will probably receive canned, HR approved answers.

Once in the meeting with your boss: State that you are seeing signs that people typically associate with getting fired and that you would like your boss to clarify the situation for you. Now be quiet. Let silence be your weapon. If you’re anything like me, this will be the hardest part. But it will be well worth it. Just sit there and wait for their response. Be prepared for one of three of answers:

You are getting fired. They may give you a timeframe, or they could ask you to leave on the spot. If they do give you a timeframe and you want to stay, ask if it’s a performance related issue. If it is, try to negotiate being put on a performance improvement plan.

You may not be getting fired. The company is advertising because they hear that you are looking for employment elsewhere, or because they feel like your workload is too much for one person and they want to add another member to the team. Keep in mind that your boss may or may not be telling the truth.

You’re probably not getting fired. The department is pipelining because they plan on promoting you but want to have your successor lined up first. Could this also be a fib? That’s a pretty bold-faced lie if it is, and it could carry legal ramifications in some states.

No matter what your boss’s answer is, take the time to think before you reply. Make sure that your response is honest. If the company is firing you, do not say something that will burn this bridge. You should leverage this moment to ask your boss if he or she will be a positive reference for you during your job search. This is also a good time to lay the groundwork for future severance package negotiations.

We’ve all been there.

What red flags have you seen before getting terminated?

Did you address the situation?

I’m excited to read your thoughts in the comments section!

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/signs-youre-about-to-get-fired-what-to-do-about-it/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by rodeo0070(m): 9:51am On Jul 14, 2017
Noted!
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by froz(m): 10:43am On Jul 14, 2017
The word Fire is most times Negative sha...

1 Like

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by SommyNwaba(m): 7:39am On Jul 15, 2017
grin

1 Like

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Samusu(m): 7:40am On Jul 15, 2017
I have nothing else to say.
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Ekakamba: 7:40am On Jul 15, 2017
Place a call to the Federal Fire Service the moment you noticed the above signs. Don't be caught off-guard and get 'fired'. grin

2 Likes

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Buking1: 7:41am On Jul 15, 2017
Your are fired by your boss
Its a stepping stone but if don't know how to step on it you will hit your leg grin

By the way smile with this sabichat app
Chat instant within a second with new friend

Instant connection
Made in Naija way

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sabichat.app
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by LoveJesus87(m): 7:41am On Jul 15, 2017
U
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Ladiesdream: 7:41am On Jul 15, 2017
If your boss no answer you greetings try look for another job

4 Likes

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Syphax(m): 7:42am On Jul 15, 2017
Lol... Make una no listen to OP ooo. Just visit Dibia for your boss. Case solved.
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by SolexxBarry(m): 7:42am On Jul 15, 2017
This is why I love being my own boss,getting fired is not in my dictionary

1 Like

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Dannieln1: 7:43am On Jul 15, 2017
After wasting money in school
Somebody will just sit down and be playing with your brains

You're Fired

That's why been self-employed is the only option
#myownBOSS

1 Like

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by samx4real(m): 7:45am On Jul 15, 2017
Daviro
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Donjcco(m): 8:01am On Jul 15, 2017
My fellow nairalanders pls show me some love...
I was recently nominated for two big award categories BEST SUG EXECUTIVE and FUPRE MOST POPULAR STUDENT in the upcoming students week

pls vote DON J / DON JCCO for the various categories... "With you, My testimony is guaranteed'

http://fupresug17..pe/2017/07/fma-17-votings-commences.html?m=1
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by AntiWailer: 8:02am On Jul 15, 2017
Nobody fires an asset.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Damsman10(m): 8:06am On Jul 15, 2017
Dannieln1:
After wasting money in school Somebody will just sit down and be playing with your brains
plus all the overnight jacking to make first class
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by donleo92(m): 8:07am On Jul 15, 2017
I love this write up. At least I know what to do when that time comes.
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 15, 2017
getting fired means you ain't good enough... if you damn good, you make the rules not your boss
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by muller101(m): 8:15am On Jul 15, 2017
Correct op. That was how my boss asked me write out SOP after I had reconfigured the factory plant layout not knowing that he planned to bring his relative to take over. God pass am cos I left without giving him both the hard and soft copy. I fired my self. No doubt. Greedy bosses

4 Likes

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by abbyphilips(f): 8:17am On Jul 15, 2017
......if sexual advances are been made and you dont give in .. you become victimised.. thats me now... every time threats... was served a warning letter... and on probation for one month.. pls i need job adverts i nid step up... #whenyouworkingwithlebanese,indiansandegyptians.

Dairyofasadgirl.

God help me

3 Likes

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by IkpuMmadu: 8:27am On Jul 15, 2017
It's positive....It give you room for other opportunities
froz:
The word Fire is most times Negative sha...
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by leonard002(m): 8:27am On Jul 15, 2017
If someone has made up his mind to fire you, what's the point of talking again. Just leave. Find your own destiny and be your own boss
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by olowobaba10: 9:25am On Jul 15, 2017
BE YOUR OWN BOSS , THE KIDS OF YOUR FORMER BOSS THAT FIRED YOU MAY COME TO WORK FOR YOU ONE DAY !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by mustybrown(m): 9:37am On Jul 15, 2017
SommyNwaba:
grin
bros check your spelling biko
Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by buchhogonzalez(m): 10:30am On Jul 15, 2017
Hmmmm, dear OP all these points don't apply to banking ooo... You go come work for morning go hustle only for you to come back and realize you've been sacked.... Sometimes sef,you will be dressing up for work only to get a call to come and drop your I. D card...

1 Like

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 15, 2017
YOUNGSTUNNA:
getting fired means you ain't good enough... if you damn good, you make the rules not your boss

You haven't seen people fired for being "too good"?

1 Like

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 15, 2017
abbyphilips:
......if sexual advances are been made and you dont give in .. you become victimised.. thats me now... every time threats... was served a warning letter... and on probation for one month.. pls i need job adverts i nid step up... #whenyouworkingwithlebanese,indiansandegyptians.

Dairyofasadgirl.

God help me

I can imagine, God will surely help you. But do watch yourself and make sure you don't have other performance issues someone who already wants to victimize you would latch onto.

1 Like

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by SSAwhistleblowe: 10:48am On Jul 15, 2017
AntiWailer:
Nobody fires an asset.

Forget that thing in a work environment where politics is the name of the game an asset could very well be fired. I have seen it happen sometimes it's not about how good you are but who doesn't like you at management level.

2 Likes

Re: Signs You’re About To Get Fired & What To Do About It by Dannieln1: 10:55am On Jul 15, 2017
Damsman10:
plus all the overnight jacking to make first class
playing with someone's destiny in the name of been ur Boss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Protesting Railway Workers Ground Stations, Demand 350% Salary Increase / Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer / 6 Dangerous Sets Of People You Will Find In A Typical Workplace By Johnspeak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.