Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know (34037 Views)

5 Places In Nigeria You Should Visit In 2019 / 4 Interesting Places In Abeokuta You Should Know About / 5 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 14, 2017
zicoraads:

Will you be the housemate? grin
My Twin
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 14, 2017
IDEJIMBA1:
Another fact:

Afonja cone heads poop inside bowls at night

Cc: Seun, lalasticlala, mydn44. Dominique, this is a beautiful thread we don't need trolls pe tribalists here
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by zicoraads: 4:11pm On Jul 14, 2017
Pidgin2:

We can attract researchers and also tourism, try go school na
You go school. Who butterfly epp? undecided Researchers and tourism bawo? In a country where foreigners are constantly being warned to be vigilant when visiting? A place where there are so many research institutes that have been cut off funds or someone somewhere is eating up all the allocated funds? Or na butterfly wey dey fly about the oyinbos want come see?

Forgerrit! This things listed here are bullocks.

2 Likes 1 Share

20CRATES:

4 is definitely true.
one of the most optimistic and resilient people are Nigerians..
When last did you hear that someone died from "Depression" in Nigeria despite the lack of so many things? despite that you go dey hear say person dey get depression for Canada where people get every basic amenities + extra luxuries of life.
you mean people that like suffering in silence?
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by zicoraads: 4:13pm On Jul 14, 2017
Nma27:
My Twin
Your twin by any chance a female too?
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by MadCow1: 4:14pm On Jul 14, 2017
20CRATES:

4 is definitely true.
When last did you hear that someone died from "Depression" in Nigeria despite the lack of so many things? despite that you go dey hear say person dey get depression for Canada where people get every basic amenities + extra luxuries of life.

I am sure you haven't forgotten about the doctor that jumped from Third Mainland Bridge so soon.

Or the countless other stories of people hanging themselves. Or the ones drinking sniper.

Like I said, there is not a single shred of reliable statistics to verify this claim. For something to be considered fact, there must be proof.

But if we are just throwing around opinions, then here is mine; Nigerians are the most frustrated and miserable people in world who have grown tired of their situation and lack the will to do anything to change it so they have settled and accepted their fate.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by ExpensiveG: 4:14pm On Jul 14, 2017
Pidgin2:

We can attract researchers and also tourism, try go school na

You wey don go school which RESEARCHERS and TOURISTS wey dey BUTTERFLIES don catch since 1960..

olodo na today der discover em.

Butterfly don turn better thing wey person go dey brag about.... shooo shockedshocked

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 14, 2017
ExpensiveG:

You wey don go school which RESEARCHERS and TOURISTS wey dey BUTTERFLIES don catch since 1960..

olodo na today der discover em.

Butterfly don turn better thing wey person go dey brag about.... shooo shockedshocked

Smh

1 Like

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by muller101(m): 4:17pm On Jul 14, 2017
We have developers and acomodators inside the same country
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 14, 2017
zicoraads:

You go school. Who butterfly epp? undecided Researchers and tourism bawo? In a country where foreigners are constantly being warned to be vigilant when visiting? A place where there are so many research institutes that have been cut off funds or someone somewhere is eating up all the allocated funds? Or na butterfly wey dey fly about the oyinbos want come see?

Black man mentality smh

1 Like

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 14, 2017
zicoraads:

i honestly pity anyone that comes to do "tourist" in nigeria. People dey pray to leave dis failed nation for good, person dey enter. Smh

3 Likes

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by malware: 4:19pm On Jul 14, 2017
Nma27:
Who needs a housemate in Abuja?
Signify if interested o.
Ritualists and psychopaths pls keep Off!

Who no go need female housemate in Abuja? I'd always wanted one, kuku tell me the location abeg cheesy
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by DeRuggedProf: 4:22pm On Jul 14, 2017
dmgr:
Nice to know

I think it is the first place the devil landed after he was sent packing from heaven... grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by LovelyFunmi(f): 4:22pm On Jul 14, 2017
I agree with number 4, always proud of my country, good to know these facts
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by zicoraads: 4:23pm On Jul 14, 2017
Pidgin2:

Black man mentality smh
Is that all your 'schoolness' could come up with? No intelligent rebuttal? See, no one loves this country as much as I do. For years, my sister has been on my neck to relocate and meet her abroad. But I have always turned it down. But truth be told, this country is messed up. It's not an issue of black man mentality. It's the truth.

1 Like

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by win3k: 4:23pm On Jul 14, 2017
Opinionated:
Nigeria, the hub and cultural nerve-center of Africa, has had its fair share of trials and hardship, but regardless of everything it remains a land of diversity and opportunity. There are a number of interesting and/or funny facts about this great country you probably didn’t know. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 4 of them.

Nigeria Has One of the Largest Butterfly Diversity

Nigeria has been found to have the most appropriate habitat for a large variety of the world’s butterflies. The areas around Calabar, Cross River State, located in Nigeria’s southern region, is the widely believed home of one of the largest diversity of butterflies.

It’s One of the Oldest Locations of Human Existence

Archaeological evidence shows that the history of human existence in Nigeria dated as far back as 9000 BC. The Nok civilization, which existed around 500 BC – 200 AD, is actually the earliest known civilization in Nigeria.

The Cost of Living in Abuja is Well Beyond the Average Professional’s Wages

This is more pathetic than funny really, but it’s the sad truth. Since the 1990s, the cost of living in Abuja is above what an average professional can afford. This thus makes living in the state quite difficult. However, to ease the burden, young professionals would typically live as ‘housemates’ in the same apartment, sharing the cost of rent in equal parts to ease some of the burden.

Nigeria is Home to the Happiest and Most Optimistic People in the World

This really isn’t surprising but it’s an interesting fact nonetheless. According to the World Happiness Report 2017 produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), a global initiative of the United Nations, Nigeria ranks as Africa’s sixth happiest people. The truth is, it might not seem like Nigerians have anything to be happy about but our choosing to be happy and rejoice as we go about our daily hustle regardless of anything, is much healthier than wallowing in depression and despair for the state of things.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/4-interesting-facts-nigeria-probably-didnt-know/

"Happiest and Most Optimistic" because they stupidly believe there is a heaven and they are going there!

It does not say other facts like
-Many of them have the mental intelligence of apes
-They are happy to buy private jets for pastors over some dumb beliefs
-They produce children they cannot feed and send them to Libya and drug dealing

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by VivaLaFrans: 4:25pm On Jul 14, 2017
20CRATES:

4 is definitely true.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by chiraqDemon(m): 4:25pm On Jul 14, 2017
MhizzAJ:
I like the last point

In spite of the hardship..we still make a joke out of every event
True
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by zicoraads: 4:25pm On Jul 14, 2017
MadCow1:

I am sure you haven't forgotten about the doctor that jumped from Third Mainland Bridge so soon.

Or the countless other stories of people hanging themselves. Or the ones drinking sniper.

Like I said, there is not a single shred of reliable statistics to verify this claim. For something to be considered fact, there must be proof.

But if we are just throwing around opinions, then here is mine; Nigerians are the most frustrated and miserable people in world who have grown tired of their situation and lack the will to do anything to change it so they have settled and accepted their fate.

Fact!!!

2 Likes

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by EvaJael(f): 4:29pm On Jul 14, 2017
MhizzAJ:
I like the last point

In spite of the hardship..we still make a joke out of every event
Exactly. Nigerians don't give up too easily compared to other people
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by mikejj(m): 4:31pm On Jul 14, 2017
na wa o.u charge ur phone con subscribe finish.na too con dey tel us say we get butterfly.bros pity judas nah.how dem take count am.
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by highwaist: 4:31pm On Jul 14, 2017
this another fact. Osinbajo is acting president
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 14, 2017
0410bet:
The world tempts us to hoard money or to spend it all on ourselves. [s]But scripture teaches us to be generous by giving to those who are in need[/s].

such a scum. Thé scriputure also told you to scam people ?

Only in Nigeria, person go use bible quotes do yahoo

1 Like

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2017
did you know nigeria elected a president which is nowhere to be found.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by seguno2: 4:52pm On Jul 14, 2017
Opinionated:
The Cost of Living in Abuja is Well Beyond the Average Professional’s Wages

This is more pathetic than funny really, but it’s the sad truth. Since the 1990s, the cost of living in Abuja is above what an average professional can afford. This thus makes living in the state quite difficult. However, to ease the burden, young professionals would typically live as ‘housemates’ in the same apartment, sharing the cost of rent in equal parts to ease some of the burden.

Since Dogara is looking for the root cause of corruption, please can someone show this to him.
When Buhari and his APC masquerades are ready to fight corruption they know where to start.
For the time being, they are just jokers toying with the minds of their zombie followers while stealing more money and doing absolutely nothing hence the corruption that we have now.
Two years of vision-less governance mostly spent in London hospitals despite trillions trillions budget, Buhari has turned the prosperity handed over to him into recession.
What a calamity.
What a waste.
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by Meetmarley1: 4:53pm On Jul 14, 2017
Op does it reduce the cost of garri? If not

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by seguno2: 4:54pm On Jul 14, 2017
highwaist:
this another fact. Osinbajo is acting president

That is NOT true.
He is the acting coordinator.
Mere coordinator.
What presidency?
Ask Babachir, the N350 million grass cutter.
Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by DarkRebel69: 4:56pm On Jul 14, 2017
20CRATES:

4 is definitely true.

I beg to disagree, but being resilient is not the same thing as being happy. Those two adjectives reside in two different worlds, and are not mutually exclusive.

Mind you, the absence of evidence is far from being an evidence of absence. Nigerians are still in the habit of attaching stigma to mental illnesses and disorders—a spectrum in which "depression" so happens to fall in. If a child says he or she is depressed, the average Nigerian parent would likely advise such a child to toughen up, or in the worst event, such a parent would impute blame to an invisible, spiritual entity and launch into a heated spiel of violent prayers, when all that sufficed was to pay a visit to a mental health physician.

The habit of stigmatizing mental disorders sadly is one cultural meme we've not fully come around to seeing its demerits and adverse psychological effects. And I fear it would take a while before we reach that level of awareness.

That being said, it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a loop than it is for the average Nigerian to admit openly that he or she is depressed. I think I have debunked your claim to some extent, by informing you that the only reason you don't hear cases of depression among Nigerians is because of the social stigma that is ensuant to one admitting that he or she is depressed.

9 out of 10 Nigerians are depressed in some way. Don't take my word for it, go out on the streets with a vetted psychologist and conduct a psych-eval on 10 random people.
That many Nigerians have not being clinically diagnosed as depressed doesn't make them any less depressed. But I do not disagree with one thing though, which is that Nigerians are incredibly good at lying to themselves e.g. in convincing themselves that majority of her citizens are happier than the rest of the world. What grander kind of national self-delusion could there possibly be?! There can be no abundance of happiness or joy in a land of religious strife, and poverty, and injustice, and hopelessness.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know by seguno2: 4:58pm On Jul 14, 2017
wesleysev95:
One thing I know for sure is... This country is in soup

.....prepared by all of us in our nonchalant attitude towards our own affairs.
Let us sit back and enjoy the soup o jare. You get eba for there to accompany the soup? Correct swallow.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fatal Accident Along Elele Road, Rivers State, Many Killed (Graphic Pics) / Road Trip From Port Harcourt To Onne Port Rivers State: Pics & Video / Trailer Carrying Logs Of Wood Falls & Kills People In Imo State (Graphic Image)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.