Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Abolish Religion ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Abolish Religion ? (4194 Views)

Does Justification By Faith Abolish The Sabbath? / New Pope To Abolish Celibacy Regulation / So Which Is The True Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abolish Religion ? by NWFX(m): 8:14pm On Feb 03, 2010
You think religion should be abolished ? weigh in your comments and state your reasons.
Personally i think it should, because as in the case of Naija,its doing more damage than good.The sooner we realise that the solution to our problems is not in churches and mosques but in innovation,science and technology,the better. In other words,If Nigeria had the same amount tech institutes and creative development centres as it has religious business centres(churches,mosques etc),people would live better lives.It's ridiculous that most of the things people pray for are things that man already has solution for.Think about it !
Re: Abolish Religion ? by jagunlabi(m): 10:34pm On Feb 03, 2010
Being religious is a state of arrested development, both intellectually and spiritually and it's time is up.Religion, as we know it, is at the throes of death and it will die off naturally.Nigerians can't remain stu.pid forever.To remain permanently dense and therefore enslaved by ancient desert doctrines is against the evolutionary impulse of the universal consciousness.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by manmustwac(m): 1:40am On Feb 04, 2010
ban religion from skools teach kids how to think for themselves teach philosophy and evolution i think that would help to solve the problem
Re: Abolish Religion ? by Kay17: 12:33pm On Feb 04, 2010
institutional irrational thinking would end. bloodshed over dead people would stop.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by g1(m): 12:30pm On Feb 08, 2010
manmustwac:

ban religion from skools teach kids how to think for themselves teach philosophy and evolution i think that would help to solve the problem

spot on manmustwac

the sooner we move away from the deluded duo of jesus and mohammed the better for us
Re: Abolish Religion ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:09pm On Feb 08, 2010
@posters.  smiley

I can agree with you that religion is occupies a significant magnificent position in majority of the world's population. it serves as an involuntary association that society leverages on to guide the actions of its citizens. (i.e outside the provision of constitutional law) look at how God is the foundation of every country's pledge or anthem. He occupies such a commanding reverence that you will find its symbolism in the highest court of law and in schools. Religion obviously takes precedence over factual science even if it negates the actual idea that such religion is founded on. but let us look at why Religion should be confined to the dusty archives of history.  grin

Over centuries we have seen how some religions have advanced the growth and improvement of societies as well as caused chaos, death and de-evolution of budding societies, ideologies and innovation in past and recent times. We do not need to look far to find the pivot on which many of the worlds deathly crisis are birthed on,  yes. you have guessed it. Religion. be it genocidal cleansing of Muslim Bosnia, Jos and  or christian killings in Indonesia, Iraq or Nigeria. it has always bared the un-arguable fact which is,  you cannot hold anyone or any institution for crimes committed in the name of religion (be it God or Allah) or any invisible, divine deity.

It is said that you cannot choose your family,but you can choose your friends. so it is with Religion. you are most likely going to be a Muslim if your parents are dogmatic, myopic and incontrovertibly unquestioning muslims (like-wise for christians). If you were born in India and have Hindu parents that train you from birth at a time that your mind is unformed but susceptible to ideas, the ideas will become like cement to your brain,blocking entrance to fresher ideas or prevent progressive thought from going out. you will see your religion as the sole valid religion and your God as the only one true God. and everything from written injunctions to sophism by religious leaders, you will eat and digest and act out in the Name of a god you have never seen, who has never appeared to anyone (with verifiable facts and witnesses) and who has this uncontrollable urge to dominate, punish (with impunity) and reward (obscenely) those who commit heinous crimes of murder in his name.

Though most religions have written record that encourage practitioners to be open-minded, logical, peaceful and progressive, it is saddening that humans have decided to ignore the practical aspects of religion and have taken on ceremonial rhetoric that will shame even the most vile demon. indeed religion has put SATAN out of a job.

My focus is not on religions of the world but on those that contain injunctions that require forceful conversion. If God or Allah requires his adherents  to forcefully and violently impose his beliefs on others, then he cannot in the same breath claim to have given freedom to think or the option to choose between good and evil (like the holy books so righteously claim).

I think Christianity/Islam should be forcefully outlawed because these religions pose the greatest danger to human freedom (as they have in the past). and the idea of an all-seeing, all-powerful all-merciful God who cannot raise his testicles and 3rd-leg grin (NL censor at work) to do his dirty work himself, but require millions of brain-washed slaves to kill and maim other purposeful, sane and peaceful humans, should be confined to the proverbial HELL where it rightly deserves to be.

Thank you and Peace in the Middle-East  grin
Re: Abolish Religion ? by g1(m): 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

@posters.  smiley

I can agree with you that religion is occupies a significant magnificent position in majority of the world's population. it serves as an involuntary association that society leverages on to guide the actions of its citizens. (i.e outside the provision of constitutional law) look at how God is the foundation of every country's pledge or anthem. He occupies such a commanding reverence that you will find its symbolism in the highest court of law and in schools. Religion obviously takes precedence over factual science even if it negates the actual idea that such religion is founded on. but let us look at why Religion should be confined to the dusty archives of history.  grin

Over centuries we have seen how some religions have advanced the growth and improvement of societies as well as caused chaos, death and de-evolution of budding societies, ideologies and innovation in past and recent times. We do not need to look far to find the pivot on which many of the worlds deathly crisis are birthed on,  yes. you have guessed it. Religion. be it genocidal cleansing of Muslim Bosnia, Jos and  or christian killings in Indonesia, Iraq or Nigeria. it has always bared the un-arguable fact which is,  you cannot hold anyone or any institution for crimes committed in the name of religion (be it God or Allah) or any invisible, divine deity.

It is said that you cannot choose your family,but you can choose your friends. so it is with Religion. you are most likely going to be a Muslim if your parents are dogmatic, myopic and incontrovertibly unquestioning muslims (like-wise for christians). If you were born in India and have Hindu parents that train you from birth at a time that your mind is unformed but susceptible to ideas, the ideas will become like cement to your brain,blocking entrance to fresher ideas or prevent progressive thought from going out. you will see your religion as the sole valid religion and your God as the only one true God. and everything from written injunctions to sophism by religious leaders, you will eat and digest and act out in the Name of a god you have never seen, who has never appeared to anyone (with verifiable facts and witnesses) and who has this uncontrollable urge to dominate, punish (with impunity) and reward (obscenely) those who commit heinous crimes of murder in his name.

Though most religions have written record that encourage practitioners to be open-minded, logical, peaceful and progressive, it is saddening that humans have decided to ignore the practical aspects of religion and have taken on ceremonial rhetoric that will shame even the most vile demon. indeed religion has put SATAN out of a job.

My focus is not on religions of the world but on those that contain injunctions that require forceful conversion. If God or Allah requires his adherents  to forcefully and violently impose his beliefs on others, then he cannot in the same breath claim to have given freedom to think or the option to choose between good and evil (like the holy books so righteously claim).

I think Christianity/Islam should be forcefully outlawed because these religions pose the greatest danger to human freedom (as they have in the past). and the idea of an all-seeing, all-powerful all-merciful God who cannot raise his testicles and 3rd-leg grin (NL censor at work) to do his dirty work himself, but require millions of brain-washed slaves to kill and maim other purposeful, sane and peaceful humans, should be confined to the proverbial HELL where it rightly deserves to be.

Thank you and Peace in the Middle-East  grin

spot on largerwhnindoubt, you hit the nail on the head!!!

lagerwhenindoubt:

but i disagree with you on the above part, religion and logical ,do not belong in the same sentence, religion is about just believing anything in your so called divine book without question be it bible or quran, how do you explain how muslims and christian are able to interpret their crazy god telling abraham to slaughter his son as an act of great obedience?? if we saw someone today trying to kill his son in the name of god we will think that person is insane, likewise the virgin birth story , if a woman got pregnant today and we asked who is responsible and she replied god/holyspirit we will instantly call her i lying LovePeddler, but somehow christians and muslims do mental back-flips in their minds to accomodate the rubbish written in their books of fiction (quran and bible)

peaceout grin cool
Re: Abolish Religion ? by Kay17: 2:54pm On Feb 08, 2010
to some certain extent, i agree that religion has some relevance, by creating subtle rules that create subtle rules which bind a society together, but in every religion, there is the disease of irrationality which transforms a religion into a monster. blind faith and beliefs and extremely gullible people are the unwanted products.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by agathamari(f): 9:19am On Feb 09, 2010
abolish organised religions. what good have they done? caused wars, genocide. used as an excuse for hatred, discrimination, slavery, child abuse, r@pes, human sacrifices. led to the spread of disease (a/s in the pacific islands due to canabalism as a burrial practice, sharring food with animals areound the world- most notabley rats in india, even the catholic church claimed it was a sin to be naked even to bathe- reversed after the 2nd great plauge of europe). caused humanity/development to stall. is there any good side to organised religions?
Re: Abolish Religion ? by ednut1(m): 10:52am On Feb 09, 2010
Lagerwhenindoubt u are fking correct. Religion is nothing but a deviation but reality.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by PastorAIO: 12:11pm On Feb 09, 2010
I think it is impossible to abolish religion, or religiousity in human beings. However I do think that organized religious institutions enjoy too many perks in society.

Also it is impossible to get rid of irrationality in humanity. Even the science that atheists go on so much about is irrational. So I don't know how studying evolution and philosophy is going to get rid of irrationality. The best philosophy can do for you is show you how and where you are being irrational.

I think ultimately the OP should just call for the abolition of existence.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by agathamari(f): 2:16pm On Feb 09, 2010

Re: Abolish Religion ? by viaro: 2:20pm On Feb 09, 2010
@agathamari,

This one post makes me laugh:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/230553_untitled_jpgd623ce9a1a0757aab1bfefd9e267146b

Where is atheism represented in that pictogram? cheesy

Edit

www.nairaland.com/attachments/230555_untitled3_jpge2f6431cb7eb2b73e410f2b48c30e0a3

Lol, was Albert Einstein an atheist?
Re: Abolish Religion ? by agathamari(f): 7:57pm On Feb 09, 2010
^^^^Einstein was a non practicing jew, so technicaly yes
Re: Abolish Religion ? by viaro: 10:56pm On Feb 09, 2010
agathamari:

^^^^Einstein was a non practicing jew, so technicaly yes

Oh please! grin There are "non practising" this and that all over the place, but just because someone is a 'non-practising' whatever does not qualify as "atheist", technically or otherwise.

You know, the poster is a joke. Atheists who use such posters should do their home work thoroughly before waving such around the net. For all we know, Einstein was not an atheist. . . so technically, whoever put him up there among those other guys ("these idiots"wink was indeed an idiot in his own world (or a joker with a crude sense of humour).
Re: Abolish Religion ? by PastorAIO: 4:05am On Feb 10, 2010
ah ha!! What Abraham Lincoln an atheist, or is that another desperate humanist lie? I know he questioned christianity, but I didn't know that he was an atheist. Please put me in the know.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by NWFX(m): 5:17am On Feb 10, 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, February 8, 2010

Close shave with death in the hands of a son (CAUTION: SOME MAY FIND PICTURE DISTURBING)

Emmanuel Onyeche

Abigail Nwajei whose son, Nnamdi, tried to murder two days to 2010 on an allegation that a church[/color] revealed that she was behind his misfortune, has left hospital. Emmanuel Onyeche writes her near tragic story.

Abigail Nwajei

advertisement

Although Mrs. Abigail Nwajei, whose son, Nnamdi,attempted to murder by slicing off her throat two days to 2010, has left hospital, the scars of that near tragic experience may never leave her.

At 50, four of her front teeth are gone - knocked off with her son's hammer - and the scars of the attack, though healed, run rings round her neck.

"I took five pints of blood to stay alive", she told our correspondent at her Ajangbadi resident in Lagos last Tuesday, a claim confirmed by a doctor at Goodness Hospital in the same suburb. The doctor simply gave his name as Durotimi. "We had to call in a dentist to fix the aspect concerning her teeth", Durotimi added.

Nnamdi, 22, a 2006/2007 Accountancy graduate of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Oyo State, had allegedly attempted to murder his mother with a hammer and a knife on December 30 last year, accusing her of being behind the misfortunes of her children.

After policemen attached to the Ilemba Hausa Division of the Lagos State Command had arrested him, he said while being paraded on January 5 this year that he approached his mother for, "a mother to son talk" following numerous revelations in a branch of [color=#990000]Mountain of Fire and Miracle church
, Lagos, which he did not give its location. He said that the church revealed that his mother was responsible for his misfortune.

, http://odili.net/news/source/2010/feb/8/831.html
Re: Abolish Religion ? by bawomolo(m): 5:32am On Feb 10, 2010
Pastor AIO:

ah ha!! What Abraham Lincoln an atheist, or is that another desperate humanist lie? I know he questioned christianity, but I didn't know that he was an atheist. Please put me in the know.

why would automatically assume an humanist is atheist? being secular doesn't make one atheist either.

Religion shouldn't be abolished but its influence on humanity should be contained.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by viaro: 9:08am On Feb 10, 2010
bawomolo:

being secular doesn't make one atheist either.

Thank you, bawomolo - I didn't know how to present that point as succinctly as you did.

Pastor AIO:

Well, I have been reconsidering what I thought I knew about Lincoln in order to understand why any atheist would assume he was one of them. I still haven't found anything new, so I often take that poster/banner as a joke.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by agathamari(f): 9:32am On Feb 10, 2010
viaro:

Oh please! grin There are "non practising" this and that all over the place, but just because someone is a 'non-practising' whatever does not qualify as "atheist", technically or otherwise.

You know, the poster is a joke. Atheists who use such posters should do their home work thoroughly before waving such around the net. For all we know, Einstein was not an atheist. . . so technically, whoever put him up there among those other guys ("these idiots"wink was indeed an idiot in his own world (or a joker with a crude sense of humour).
einstien was raised by jewish parents but he himself didnt believe in that faith that makes him a non practicing jew. these quote by einstien may enlighten you as to why he is considered an athiest:

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."
"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything "chosen" about them."
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms."
"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it."
"It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere, Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
"It was the experience of mystery -- even if mixed with fear -- that engendered religion."
"Scientific research is based on the idea that everything that takes place is determined by laws of nature, and therefore this holds for the action of people. For this reason, a research scientist will hardly be inclined to believe that events could be influenced by a prayer, i.e. by a wish addressed to a Supernatural Being."
"God does not play at dice with the Universe."

and of course who can forget
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."
Re: Abolish Religion ? by agathamari(f): 10:04am On Feb 10, 2010
as for lincoln:
John T. Stuart, Lincoln's first law partner: "He was an avowed and open infidel, and sometimes bordered on Atheism, He went further against Christian beliefs and doctrines and principles than any man I ever heard."

"When Dr. Holland asked Mr. Herndon (lincoln's law partner about mr lincoln) about his partner's religoius convictions, Mr. Herndon replied that he had none, and the less he said on that subject the better. 'Oh well,' replied Dr. Holland, 'I'll fix that.'"

"No one of Lincoln's old acquaintances in this city ever heard of his conversion to Christianity by Dr. Smith or anyone else. It was never suggested nor thought of here until after his death, I never saw him read a second of time in Dr. Smith's book on Infidelity. He threw at down upon our table -- spit upon it as it were -- and never opened it to my knowledge."
-- William Herndon

"Mr. Lincoln was entirely deficient in what the phrenologists call reverence [veneration], I was once in Mr. Lincoln's company when a sectarian controversy arose. He himself looked very grave, and made no observation until all the others had finished what they had to say. Then with a twinkle of the eye he remarked that he preferred the Episcopalians to every other sect, because they are equally indifferent to a man's religion and his politics."
-- Maunsell B Field

"In religion, Mr. Lincoln was about of the same opinion as Bob Ingersoll, and there is no account of his ever having changed. He went to church a few times with his family while he was President, but so far as I have been able to find out, he remained an unbeliever. Mr. Lincoln in his younger days wrote a book, in which he endeavored to prove the fallacy of the plan of salvation and the divinity of Christ."
-- Judge James M Nelson

"Mr. Lincoln had no hope, and no faith, in the usual acceptation of those words."
-- Mary Todd Lincoln

lincoln quotes:
"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma."
"My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures have become clearer and stronger with advancing years, and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them."
"It will not do to investigate the subject of religion too closely, as it is apt to lead to Infidelity."
"There was the strangest combination of church influence against me. Baker is a Campbellite; and therefore, as I suppose with few exceptions, got all of that Church. My wife had some relations in the Presbyterian churches, and some in the Episcopal churches; and therefore, wherever it would tell, I was set down as either one or the other, while it was everywhere contended that no Christian ought to vote for me because I belonged to no Church, and was suspected of being a Deist and had talked of fighting a duel."
"The only person who is a worse liar than a faith healer is his patient."
"I am approached with the most opposite opinions and advice, and that by religious men, who are equally certain that they represent the Divine will. I hope it will not be irreverent for me to say that if it is probable that God would reveal His will to others, on a point so connected with my duty, it might be supposed that He would reveal it directly to me , These are not, however, the days of miracles, I must study the plain, physical facts of the case, ascertain what is possible, and learn what appears to be wise and right."
"I have neither time nor disposition to enter into discussion with the Friend, and end this occasion by suggesting for her consideration the question whether, if it be true that the Lord has appointed me to do the work she has indicated, it is not probable that he would have communicated knowledge of the fact to me as well as to her."

As a young man Lincoln wrote a manuscript that he planned to publish, which vehemently argued against the divine origin of the Bible and the Christian scheme of salvation. Samuel Hill, a friend and mentor, convinced him to drop it, considering the disastrous consequences it would have on his political career.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by agathamari(f): 10:09am On Feb 10, 2010
to keep myself from being accused agian, here are some quotes from other famous athiest

"The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church." - Ferdinand Magellan

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson.

"There is so much in the bible against which every insinct of my being rebels, so much so that I regret the necessity which has compelled me to read it through from beginning to end." - Helen Keller

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows." - Samuel Clemens

"It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so." - Ernestine Rose

"All thinking men are atheists." - Ernest Hemingway

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." - Richard Dawkins

"Fear is the parent of cruelty; therefore it is no wonder if religion and cruelty have gone hand-in-hand." - Bertrand Russell

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." - Benjamin Franklin

"I don't believe in God. My god is patriotism. Teach a man to be a good citizen and you have solved the problem of life." - Andrew Carnegie

"The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life." - Sigmund Freud

“Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis." - Sigmund Freud

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger

"Creationists make it sound like a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night." - Isaac Asimov

"My point is not that religion itself is the motivation for wars, murders and terrorist attacks, but that religion is the principal label, and the most dangerous one, by which a "they" as opposed to a "we" can be identified at all." - Richard Dawkins
Re: Abolish Religion ? by viaro: 11:21am On Feb 10, 2010
Let me reply in reverse order:

agathamari:

"My point is not that religion itself is the motivation for wars, murders and terrorist attacks, but that religion is the principal label, and the most dangerous one, by which a "they" as opposed to a "we" can be identified at all." - Richard Dawkins

It were better that you did not cite Dawkins. He's a dunce and will continue to remain so until he educates himself on the fact that his atheistic fundamentalism is one reason why atheists would put him up in a banner labelled "these idiots". There's so much to say that would make you rethink quoting him again, but I often leave my readers with Michael Ruse's apt quip that Dawkins would fail an elementary philosophy class - and I agree. I'm not the one who straightens Dawkins up, but he's had a fair dose of fine critique from both atheist and secular thinkers who are not impressed with his theatrical atheism. So I don't see how your harvest of quotes does anything to justify the claim that Einstein was an atheist - for he was not, and we shall see this shortly.

Next. . .

agathamari:

as for lincoln:
John T. Stuart, Lincoln's first law partner: "He was an avowed and open infidel, and sometimes bordered on Atheism, He went further against Christian beliefs and doctrines and principles than any man I ever heard."

Abraham Lincoln was critical of Christianity, that much we know. But that in itself is not sufficient to claim that he was an atheist - unless your source was again playing crude jokes on you and you didn't notice. There are many sources that avow that Lincoln was a deist rather than atheist - please do a simple search and you may get some interesting results. Even the positive atheism website does not have Lincoln as an atheist, but rather regards him as Deist.

Okay, now on to Einstein:

agathamari:

einstien was raised by jewish parents but he himself didnt believe in that faith that makes him a non practicing jew. these quote by einstien may enlighten you as to why he is considered an athiest:

The quotes actually do not make for sufficiency of any claims to make Einstein an atheist, I'm sorry to say. Yes, he was critical of religion, did not seem to have expressed any inclination to a belief in a personal God; and although he makes allusions to believing in 'Spinoza's God', would we conclude that he was an atheist in consideration of this excerpt below? -

First things first. Albert Einstein was not an atheist. How do I know this? Because when he was asked, shortly after his 50th birthday, whether he believed in God, he replied: “I am not an atheist.”
It made the great man furious to be used in support of atheism: “There are people who say there is no God,” he told a friend. “But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views.”
http://www.thejc.com/comment/columnists/the-atheists-can%E2%80%99t-have-einstein

I guess it's about time that we let the gentleman be and refrain from keeping him on the angry edge. Einstein was not an atheist.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by mantraa: 12:05pm On Feb 10, 2010
Strange how two people can look at exactly the same evidence and come to two completely different conclusions.

This reflects the problem with christianity, that people can look at the exact same evidence (the bible) and come to 33000 different conclusions (interpretations, denominations).

From the evidence provided by the two previous posters it seems clear to me that Einstein's recorded, quoted views on religion were that of an atheist. Does it really matter though? There is so much more to life than religion.

Some people even claim that atheist richard dawkins is fundamentally religious in his non belief in any religion. 
Re: Abolish Religion ? by viaro: 12:08pm On Feb 10, 2010
mantraa:

From the evidence provided by the two previous posters it seems clear to me that Einstein's quoted views on religion were that of an atheist.

First things first. Albert Einstein was not an atheist. How do I know this? Because when he was asked, shortly after his 50th birthday, whether he believed in God, he replied: “I am not an atheist.”
http://www.thejc.com/comment/columnists/the-atheists-can%E2%80%99t-have-einstein
Re: Abolish Religion ? by g1(m): 12:17pm On Feb 10, 2010
@viaro, how you dey?

i as an atheist does not agree with all dawkins'points, i do prefer the carl sagan and some of betrand russell type of atheism but to be honest despite his short comings i dont think we can label dawkins a "dunce" afterall you were the one who advised me that insults and namecalling does not help in arguments, hope u r doing good?
Re: Abolish Religion ? by mantraa: 12:31pm On Feb 10, 2010
The article also says "“There are people who say there is no God,” he told a friend. “But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views.”
However, there is no evidence that he actually said this. "He told a friend" is not proof that something is true. Who was it that asked him just after his 50th if he was an atheist? I could just as easily write that he told a friend just after his 60th birthday that he is an atheist. Who is this friend? and was the reporter there to hear the conversation?

To me it is not even important whether Einstein was religious or not. I just look at the evidence myself and come to the most rational conclusion.
Re: Abolish Religion ? by viaro: 2:01pm On Feb 10, 2010
mantraa:

The article also says "“There are people who say there is no God,” he told a friend. “But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views.”
However, there is no evidence that he actually said this. "He told a friend" is not proof that something is true. Who was it that asked him just after his 50th if he was an atheist? I could just as easily write that he told a friend just after his 60th birthday that he is an atheist. Who is this friend? and was the reporter there to hear the conversation?

Yes, we could ask the same thing about all the other quotes you prefer to believe without foundation - the difference between the harvest of quotes earlier and the one I gave is not that significant. Any source could throw quotes in people's mouths, and anyone who wants to feel good about what they would like to believe would actually take any which side to make up his or her mind about Einstein. The one thing we all know was that no credible source shows Einstein claiming to be an atheist.

To me it is not even important whether Einstein was religious or not. I just look at the evidence myself and come to the most rational conclusion.

That's okay, and you should not be worried about that. wink
Re: Abolish Religion ? by viaro: 2:03pm On Feb 10, 2010
g1:

@viaro, how you dey?

i as an atheist does not agree with all dawkins'points, i do prefer the carl sagan and some of betrand russell type of atheism but to be honest despite his short comings i dont think we can label dawkins a "dunce" afterall you were the one who advised me that insults and namecalling does not help in arguments, hope u r doing good?

@g1, you're absolutely right. . . I should not have made such ungaurded statements, and there's no excuse I offer here for having done so (which is why I have crossed out that word against him).

I'm doing okay. And you? smiley
Re: Abolish Religion ? by g1(m): 2:09pm On Feb 10, 2010
viaro:

@g1, you're absolutely right. . . I should not have made such ungaurded statements, and there's no excuse I offer here for having done so (which is why I have crossed out that word against him).

I'm doing okay. And you? smiley

am not doing bad either bro
Re: Abolish Religion ? by vocalist(f): 2:52pm On Feb 10, 2010
SO tell me what will stay if religion should be abolish, i fink islamic and other heathen religion should be abolish and let christianity stay for enternity

(1) (2) (Reply)

Im Confused Abt This Christian Theory... / Bishop (dr.) Emmah Gospel ISONG Releases Fifty-eight Prophecies For 2020 / "Imagine" By John Lenon - A Web-Comic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.