Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,655 members, 7,820,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism (2374 Views)

Blind Prophet, Moses Kasali To Buhari: "Contest And Be Disgraced!" / African Woman Preaching With Microphone On London Streets (Photos) / The Evil Of Tribalism In The Nigeria Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Buking1: 12:45pm On Jul 16, 2017
Moses, a Jew, apparently married a black African and was approved by God. Exd:18v1-27

We learn in Numbers that “Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Cushite woman whom he had married, for he had married a Cushite woman” (Num. 12:1). A Cushite is from Cush, a region south of Ethiopia, where the people are known for their black skin. We know this because of Jeremiah 13:23: “Can the Ethiopian [the same Hebrew word translated “Cushite” in Numbers 12:1] change his skin or the leopard his spots? Then also you can do good who are accustomed to do evil.” Attention is drawn to the difference of the skin of the Cushite people.

In his book From Every People and Nation: A Biblical Theology of Race, Daniel Hays writes that Cush “is used regularly to refer to the area south of Egypt, and above the cataracts on the Nile, where a Black African civilization flourished for over two thousand years. Thus it is quite clear that Moses marries a Black African woman” (71).

In response to Miriam’s criticism, God does not get angry at Moses; he gets angry at Miriam. The criticism has to do with Moses’ marriage and Moses’ authority. The most explicit statement relates to the marriage: “Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Cushite woman whom he had married, for he had married a Cushite woman.” Then God strikes Miriam with leprosy. Why? Consider this possibility. In God’s anger at Miriam, Moses’ sister, God says in effect, “You like being light-skinned Miriam? I’ll make you light-skinned.” So we read, “When the cloud removed from over the tent, behold, Miriam was leprous, like snow” (Num. 12:10)

God says not a critical word against Moses for marrying a black Cushite woman. But when Miriam criticizes God’s chosen leader for this marriage God strikes her skin with white leprosy. If you ever thought black was a biblical symbol for uncleanness, be careful; a worse white uncleanness could come upon you..

I on my self use to criticize igbos gal marrying out of igbo till when I wanted to marry from imo,..
There I see tribalism within my people
It was then I know that all of us are just practicing religion, we are more of religious than been Christian just like the clear example of Moses I here to tell everyone one who said he is a child of God mostly Christain to stop the stigmazation coz you might get yourself a curse like Miriam

Buking

Seun happy Sunday

4 Likes

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 3:45pm On Jul 16, 2017
Buking1:
Moses, a Jew, apparently married a black African and was approved by God. Exd:18v1-27

We learn in Numbers that “Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Cushite woman whom he had married, for he had married a Cushite woman” (Num. 12:1). A Cushite is from Cush, a region south of Ethiopia, where the people are known for their black skin. We know this because of Jeremiah 13:23: “Can the Ethiopian [the same Hebrew word translated “Cushite” in Numbers 12:1] change his skin or the leopard his spots? Then also you can do good who are accustomed to do evil.” Attention is drawn to the difference of the skin of the Cushite people.

In his book From Every People and Nation: A Biblical Theology of Race, Daniel Hays writes that Cush “is used regularly to refer to the area south of Egypt, and above the cataracts on the Nile, where a Black African civilization flourished for over two thousand years. Thus it is quite clear that Moses marries a Black African woman” (71).

In response to Miriam’s criticism, God does not get angry at Moses; he gets angry at Miriam. The criticism has to do with Moses’ marriage and Moses’ authority. The most explicit statement relates to the marriage: “Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Cushite woman whom he had married, for he had married a Cushite woman.” Then God strikes Miriam with leprosy. Why? Consider this possibility. In God’s anger at Miriam, Moses’ sister, God says in effect, “You like being light-skinned Miriam? I’ll make you light-skinned.” So we read, “When the cloud removed from over the tent, behold, Miriam was leprous, like snow” (Num. 12:10)

God says not a critical word against Moses for marrying a black Cushite woman. But when Miriam criticizes God’s chosen leader for this marriage God strikes her skin with white leprosy. If you ever thought black was a biblical symbol for uncleanness, be careful; a worse white uncleanness could come upon you..

I on my self use to criticize igbos gal marrying out of igbo till when I wanted to marry from imo,..
It was then I know that all of us are just practicing religion, we are more of religious than been Christian just like the clear example of Moses I here to tell everyone one who said he is a child of God mostly Christain to stop the stigmazation coz you might get yourself a curse like Miriam

Buking

Seun happy Sunday

Yep, Moses married an Ethiopian lady...
Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Buking1: 9:38pm On Jul 16, 2017
Tampinu:

Yep, Moses married an Ethiopian lady...
Why people keep tribalism in marriage so much
Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 8:04pm On Jul 17, 2017
Buking1:

Why people keep tribalism in marriage so much

Sorry I really don't understand you because "Ethiopia" is not a tribe or is it? shocked

1 Like

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by majorgr: 10:33pm On Jul 17, 2017
Buking1:

Buking

Seun happy Sunday

pls, can you give some of the sources from your research like other extra materials you consulted to support your point. strictly for research purpose. thank you.
Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 10:40pm On Jul 17, 2017
majorgr:

pls, can you give some of the sources from your research like other extra materials you consulted to support your point. strictly for research purpose. thank you.

There are many book on the internet e.g, Bible, Kebra Negast, Book of Enoch, Forgotten Books of Eden, Enki Summerian texts etc etc
Just make Google your best friend for now...

1 Like

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by majorgr: 11:18pm On Jul 17, 2017
Tampinu:

There are many book on the internet e.g, Bible, Kebra Negast, Book of Enoch, Forgotten Books of Eden, Enki Summerian texts etc etc
Just make Google your best friend for now...
i asked u a specific question, who doesn't know about google? unless ure not sure of your source dont post things that you cannot give credibility to. thanks
Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 11:28pm On Jul 17, 2017
majorgr:

i asked u a specific question, who doesn't know about google? unless ure not sure of your source dont post things that you cannot give credibility to. thanks

So sorry I misunderstood your request.

Are u asking for the address to the local bookshops?

There's a link for you below for the Book of Enoch, hope that helps?

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/index.htm

If I know what country and town you are in, I may be able to help with addresses for local bookshops.

Peace

4 Likes

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Buking1: 8:18am On Jul 18, 2017
majorgr:

The Bible quotes there stated everything then if still want further u can just request or google

1 Like

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Buking1: 8:33am On Jul 18, 2017
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001093

More source and explanation follow this link and use bible on it to get all the necessary information you needed

2 Likes

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Buking1: 8:34am On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:

Sorry I really don't understand you because "Ethiopia" is not a tribe or is it? shocked

Yes they are black tribe
Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 10:47am On Jul 18, 2017
Buking1:

Yes they are black tribe

So Ethiopia is a tribe not a Country/Nation? Huh?

I rest my case, have a good day.

Peace
Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
Buking1:

Yes they are black tribe
Ethiopia is country, not a tribe. And there is no such thing as tribe in Ethiopia, rather ethnicitie.

Ethiopia is a country with a collection of more than 80 distinct ethnic groups.

1 Like

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Buking1: 8:37am On Jul 23, 2017
Hati13:

Ethiopia is country, not a tribe. And there is no such thing as tribe in Ethiopia, rather ethnicitie.

Ethiopia is a country with a collection of more than 80 distinct ethnic groups.
I don't even understand what u are driving at, coz it stated to you that the lady was a Cushite in Ethiopia ..
Just like we have many tribe in naija
By the way how did you conclude that there are nothing like that in Ethiopia.
How did u made your conclusion
Please dig here if not check this picture
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afroasiatic_languages

1 Like

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 23, 2017
Buking1:

I don't even understand what u are driving at, coz it stated to you that the lady was a Cushite in Ethiopia ..
Just like we have many tribe in naija
By the way how did you conclude that there are nothing like that in Ethiopia.
How did u made your conclusion
Please dig here if not check this picture
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afroasiatic_languages
You said, Ethiopians are black tribe. And I said there is no such thing as Ethiopian tribe. Please check your and my comments.
There are diverse ethnicities in Ethiopia.

1 Like

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Deicide: 3:52pm On Jul 23, 2017
It's funny how we are not very racist in Nigeria but Tribalistic towards each other? Goddamn yes! grin

4 Likes

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 11:11pm On Aug 15, 2018
Buking1:

Yes they are black tribe

Ethiopia is a Country, and it also refers to all of AFRICA.
Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Nobody: 12:11am On Aug 16, 2018
Buking1:

Buking

Seun happy Sunday

Moses is a black man...
Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Seun(m): 12:14pm On Aug 22, 2018
Buking1:
Moses, a Jew, apparently married a black African ... Just like the clear example of Moses I here to tell everyone one who said he is a child of God mostly Christain to stop the stigmazation coz you might get yourself a curse like Miriam
I fully support your anti-racist message! If your Bible story can make people improve their behaviour, that’s great.

However, I wonder why the story (Numbers 12) says that only Miriam was cursed with leprosy for 7 days even though both Aaron and Miriam spoke against Moses. Is it because Miriam being a woman made her criticism of Moses more offensive in the eyes of Israel’s male God?

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2018
Seun:
I fully support your anti-racist message! If your Bible story can make people improve their behaviour, that’s great.

However, I wonder why the story (Numbers 12) says that only Miriam was cursed with leprosy for 7 days even though both Aaron and Miriam spoke against Moses. Is it because Miriam being a woman made her criticism of Moses more offensive in the eyes of Israel’s male God?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtuzGRFdvU

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 10:20pm On Sep 22, 2018
Seun:

The ways of the Lord is not same as the way of men...

Perhaps GOD has a different type of judgment/punishment for Aaron.
wink

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by YAHREIGNS: 6:05am On Sep 23, 2018
Jews were African. Even if they were not; after 400 years in Egypt(nilotes) they would be.

Unless you prefer to believe they practised incest. Which would not explain the population explosion that later scared the Pharaoh. (Only 12 went in)

1 Like

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by triplec93(m): 7:42am On Sep 23, 2018
Seun:

That was because Miriam was the instigator.

1 Like

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 10:47am On Sep 23, 2018
YAHREIGNS:
Jews were African. Even if they were not; after 400 years in Egypt(nilotes) they would be.

Unless you prefer to believe they practised incest. Which would not explain the population explosion that later scared the Pharaoh. (Only 12 went in)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Israel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCuvgHIpCKo

Revelation 2:9 King James Version (KJV)
9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

2 Likes

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Seun(m): 7:41am On Sep 24, 2018
triplec93:
That was because Miriam was the instigator.
The passage (Numbers 12) does not say that. You just made it up.

Have you noticed that, in chapter 6 verse 3, Moses calls himself the most humble man in the world?

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 8:17am On Sep 24, 2018
Seun:

Have you noticed that, in chapter 6, Moses calls himself the most humble man in the world?

Numbers 6 is where Moses was asked by God to tell Children of Israel to grow their dreadlocks as a sign of their separation to God. Hence in Revelation 22:4 it says: "They shall see His face and his name (Dreadlock/Rasta) shall be on their fore-head...

Numbers 6 King James Version (KJV)
6 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the Lord:

3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.

4 All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

5 All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the Lord, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.

6 All the days that he separateth himself unto the Lord he shall come at no dead body.

7 He shall not make himself unclean for his father, or for his mother, for his brother, or for his sister, when they die: because the consecration of his God is upon his head.
8 All the days of his separation he is holy unto the Lord.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revelation 22:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by triplec93(m): 8:23am On Sep 24, 2018
Seun:

Have you noticed that, in chapter 6, Moses calls himself the most humble man in the world?
Here are some logical reasons why we belief that:1) God is just
2) Numbers 12 started with the words 'Miriam and Aaron' that's a second line of
thought
3)From human nature women usually exhibit jealousy amongst themselves ' Miriam against the cushite woman'
4) This absolutely gat nothing to do with her gender, in times prior and after, God had dealt with some men too because of their rebellion, often times more than women. When such issue of disloyalty arose during the time of Caleb and Joshua, men above twenty were particularly disciplined for that. So Seun women are very much respected in the practice of true christainity, Jesus the founder was a true reflective of his Father's personality, even when the Jews traditionally despised women, to the extent a man won't work closely with his wife in public, he made true friendship with several women in his time.

3 Likes

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by triplec93(m): 8:29am On Sep 24, 2018
Seun:

Here are some logical reasons why we believe that:1) God is just
2) Numbers 12 started with the words 'Miriam and Aaron' that's a second line of
thought
3)From human nature women usually exhibit jealousy amongst themselves ' Miriam against the cushite woman'
4) This absolutely gat nothing to do with her gender, in times prior and after, God had dealt with some men too because of their rebellion, often times more than women. When such issue of disloyalty arose during the time of Caleb and Joshua, men above twenty were particularly disciplined for that. So Seun women are very much respected in the practice of true christainity. Jesus the founder was a true reflective of his Father's personality, even when the Jews traditionally despised women, to the extent a man won't walk closely with his wife in public, he made true friendship with several women in his time.
Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Tampinu(m): 8:34am On Sep 24, 2018
Seun:

Have you noticed that, in chapter 6 verse 3, Moses calls himself the most humble man in the world?

The Bible is not a novel or newspaper, it's a collection of spiritual texts; don't worry much if you don't understand something at one point....Just humble yourself and move on...Read it again later, the Spirit will reveal to you more than anyone can show you! Bible is a spiritual document...see Psalm 131...Ahhhh. There you go. Humble yourself and don't fret about what you don't understand, the Spirit will make you overstand it in time. Peace.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 131 King James Version (KJV)
131 Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.

2 Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child.

3 Let Israel hope in the Lord from henceforth and for ever.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtuzGRFdvU&t=71s

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by Seun(m): 9:01am On Sep 24, 2018
Tampinu:
Numbers 6 is where Moses was asked by God to tell Children of Israel ...
Sorry, I was referring to Numbers 12:3, "Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth" LOL

4 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by hopara1(m): 12:10pm On Sep 24, 2018
Seun:

The order of the names Mariam and Aaron suggests that she was the instigator of the attack,thus recieving the principal puinishment... Num.12vs1.

1 Like

Re: Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism by hopara1(m): 12:22pm On Sep 24, 2018
Seun:

Bros the Hebrew word translated as humble may mean "miserable" in this context...or probably, is about the unparalleled humility of the man Moses despite the enormous toll on him,from his people and siblings.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Start Practicing Ifa / A Sinner Is Not A Christian / Yobe State Is Boiling,christains Under Attack?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.