Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,824 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389490 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Predstan: 7:32pm On Feb 28, 2022
Honlucas:

Mackynaija after a lot of research I have opted for Msc.microbiology in Texas A&M university..

I wanna apply for thesis program due to the research and internship. I plan to stay back after my msc .

Is getting a job as a microbiologist very hard?

What's my chances of staying back after my msc.

Please reply

Yes except you get a phd

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Honlucas: 7:40pm On Feb 28, 2022
Predstan:

Yes except you get a phd

Ok after my msc . If I should graduate with distinction can a get admitted Into PhD program in Tamu or any other uni ?.

If yes will I come back to Nigeria to renew my study visa or do it there?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Predstan: 7:52pm On Feb 28, 2022
Honlucas:

Ok after my msc . If I should graduate with distinction can a get admitted Into PhD program in Tamu or any other uni ?.

Yes you can easily get a fully funded PhD if you do well in your Masters.
No you don’t have to leave the US anytime as long as you are in status(either a job after MSc or a PhD program). You do not need to renew your visa while in the US except you travel out of the US

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Honlucas: 9:11pm On Feb 28, 2022
Predstan:

Yes you can easily get a fully funded PhD if you do well in your Masters.
No you don’t have to leave the US anytime as long as you are in status(either a job after MSc or a PhD program). You do not need to renew your visa while in the US except you travel out of the US

Ok bro after PhD what's my chances of staying in the US? I wanna have PR
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by bake19: 10:25pm On Feb 28, 2022
Provided after phd you can be classified as having exceptional ability in your career path, you may be able to self petition for green card. An employer might also petition for you. For advance degree/exceptional ability read up on how to qualify for eb2 Visa.
Honlucas:

Ok bro after PhD what's my chances of staying in the US? I wanna have PR

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:48pm On Mar 03, 2022
Honlucas,
Both individuals above have answered your questions the way I would have.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Honlucas: 12:00am On Mar 04, 2022
MackyNaija:
Honlucas,
Both individuals above have answered your questions the way I would have.

Let me know when you have read this message. Thanks.

Thanks bro
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by TWoods(m): 6:01am On Mar 04, 2022
bake19:
Provided after phd you can be classified as having exceptional ability in your career path, you may be able to self petition for green card. An employer might also petition for you. For advance degree/exceptional ability read up on how to qualify for eb2 Visa.

Or he can join a postdoctoral program and apply in EB1B (researcher). EB2 requires him to do a labor certification which can be a pain... EB1B avoids that and it is the preferred route for academic institutions.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by BunmiBie: 4:26pm On Mar 06, 2022
MackyNaija:

Thank you and hopefully you come to the US someday.

Actually, after reading all your posts I gingered my husband to apply to schools, in fact I dragged him to this thread and he was motivated as well.

He applied to many schools but got admission into TTU with out-of-state waiver for the first and second academic year. We were not even expecting any waiver.

He graduated in 2014 in the dept of mechanical engineering. He had his MSc from same dept too but he only worked has an engineer for let's say a year. Since then he has been working as a freelance writer.

Our worries now:
1) he applied for industrial engineering but I guess due to lack of job experience they redirected him to Engineering (MEN), which is interdisciplinary. He has the option to specialize in some areas. This department does not have GA, TA and internship. It's a taught course with OPT. What's OPT?
Do you think he should go ahead with this and which area do you think he should specialize in; biomedical, aerospace, biosystems, Computer, engineering physics, environment, materials science and engineering, mechatronics, and nuclear engineering. uPdate
He mailed the department and they told him to select his first semester courses from industrial engineering dept to be able to switch fully after first semester.
So we are fine with this.

2) without much work experience in Nigeria, will he be able to get a job in US after his program and will he cope with the system.

Cc: MackyNaija

And other gurus in the house.
Thanks!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Tyleet: 7:40pm On Mar 07, 2022
@Mackynaija, pls I have some questions about Mpower loan. 1. If I get approved for the loan but my visa gets denied, what will happen?
2. What if I get to the US and after landing I decide to attend a different school other than the one the mpower loan was approved for, what will happen?
Thanks so much.
Others who have an answer can chime in too pls.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by 1stGenAmerican(f): 2:20am On Mar 08, 2022
Tyleet:
@Mackynaija, pls I have some questions about Mpower loan. 1. If I get approved for the loan but my visa gets denied, what will happen?
2. What if I get to the US and after landing I decide to attend a different school other than the one the mpower loan was approved for, what will happen?
Thanks so much.

1. The loan is nullified and funds are returned to the lender. 2. The loan will be nullified and the funds returned to the lender. When the school that you listed on your visa application reports that you are not enrolled, your student visa will be cancelled.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Tyleet: 6:37am On Mar 08, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

1. The loan is nullified and funds are returned to the lender. 2. The loan will be nullified and the funds returned to the lender. When the school that you listed on your visa application reports that you are not enrolled, your student visa will be cancelled.

Nope, I mean if I transfer to another school upon arriving in the US. The student visa cannot be cancelled in this case, and transferring like this is perfectly legal.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:42am On Mar 08, 2022
Tyleet:

Nope, I mean if I transfer to another school upon arriving in the US. The student visa cannot be cancelled in this case, and transferring like this is perfectly legal.

K
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Predstan: 7:10am On Mar 08, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Your loan is conditionally approved and not final before reporting to school. So if you choose not to continue with your loan, you have no obligation or responsibility. The pre approved loan automatically expires within a certain period of time.
The second statement about visa is not true man. When you transfer to another school, you transfer your sevis from your current school. You can transfer as many times as you want to. All that matters is being enrolled in a school every semester for atleast 9credit hours as a graduate student.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by 1stGenAmerican(f): 7:26am On Mar 08, 2022
Predstan:

Your loan is conditionally approved and not final before reporting to school. So if you choose not to continue with your loan, you have no obligation or responsibility. The pre approved loan automatically expires within a certain period of time.
The second statement about visa is not true man. When you transfer to another school, you transfer your sevis from your current school. You can transfer as many times as you want to. All that matters is being enrolled in a school every semester for atleast 9credit hours as a graduate student.

I see no real difference between my answer to the first question and yours.
The second question I directed the answer to asked what if, upon landing in the US, he decides to go to a different school. Not transfer. We can agree to disagree.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 08, 2022
Just a random thought, I do think a MSc is enough. I for one would like to get married to an American after my MSc for an obvious reason, while working trying to make more money. I can't stomach the thought of doing 2 years in MSc, then another years for PhD. I view America as basically a corporation where everyone goes to take what they can from it before leaving earth. The quickest legal pathway that guarantees me success is what I'll do.
Honlucas:

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AngelicBeing: 9:23am On Mar 08, 2022
illumined999333:
Just a random thought, I do think a MSc is enough. I for one would like to get married to an American after my MSc for an obvious reason, while working trying to make more money. I can't stomach the thought of doing 2 years in MSc, then another years for PhD. I view America as basically a corporation where everyone goes to take what they can from it before leaving earth. The quickest legal pathway that guarantees me success is what I'll do.
Hahaha, Lol at The US is a 'corporation ", na real corporation, someone said and l quote>> know your way no be curse, una go kill person with laugh for nairaland.com. grin
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 9:53am On Mar 08, 2022
Bros na very giant corporation o. I am going there to collect my own share, legally though.
AngelicBeing:
Hahaha, Lol at The US is a 'corporation ", na real corporation, someone said and l quote>> know your way no be curse, una go kill person with laugh for nairaland.com. grin

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AngelicBeing: 9:59am On Mar 08, 2022
illumined999333:
Bros na very giant corporation o. I am going there to collect my own share, legally though.
Going via legal route is the best for any migration pathway to any part of the World, but even at that Mexicans no dey hear word, dem like to follow Sahara desert, climb wall and enter Yankee, America border officials don taya for Mexicans and all their kurukere Waka into the US grin

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 08, 2022
I already applied to schools for master's, gotten some admissions, still waiting for others. I met a Somali - American on twitter, and that guy helped me with my mindset. He basically told me this, " if you are going to come to America, see America as a corporation where you come to take from legally". If getting married to an American I love, increases my chances at being successful, I'll do just that.
AngelicBeing:
Going via legal route is the best for any migration pathway to any part of the World, but even at that Mexicans no dey hear word, dem like to follow Sahara desert, climb wall and enter Yankee, America border officials don taya for Mexicans and all their kurukere Waka into the US grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by chiboy429(m): 3:37pm On Mar 12, 2022
@ Macky @ Twood

Hello guys... please I need your view on this.

I'm about rounding off my msc in Germany and am considering goiing to the US �� for PhD .

My question is what are the possibilities for Nigerians to get job and most importantly PR after studies in US? Is this a good move or the advantages of US outweighs that of Germany ��

I would really appreciate your opinion.

Thank you so much.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by yunqdady: 8:39pm On Mar 12, 2022
AngelicBeing:
Why are] you so interested in international relations and foreign affairs? I go through your posts to deduce this. I'm just curious anyways.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AngelicBeing: 2:03am On Mar 13, 2022
yunqdady:

Why are] you so interested in international relations and foreign affairs? I go through your posts to deduce this. I'm just curious anyways.
How can you live on planet earth and not be interested in what is going on around you. I schooled , lived and worked in several countries and as a human being l should be concerned about what is happening on earth especially now that we have a Pharoah Nebucadnezzar Putin trying to bring chaos and catastrophe to the world.

Are you not reading, listening and following global news shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:58pm On Mar 13, 2022
DannyFX2638:
macky see how your workers just day busy with work.. u day pay them well ooo
grin Buying is different in the US...

In the simplest form:
i. You get pre-qualified (moneylender/bank checks you have good credit and some money for down payment)
ii. You find a seller/builder, indicate interest, pay 'Earnest money' ($3k in our case)
iii. They build with borrowed money from a bank (so I think) till completion
iv. At 'closing day', you bring your downpayment 3.5% to as much as 20% and some other closing costs
v. Who initially pre-approved you at step 1 gives the remaining 80% to 96.5% to the seller (you repay normally over 30 years) and..
vi. Seller gives you the key.

You become a homeowner! Yayyy! cheesy

When person no fit keep up with the monthly payments due to lost jobs or other reasons, money lender don show for 'foreclosure'. cry
House don go be that.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:08pm On Mar 13, 2022
BunmiBie:

Actually, after reading all your posts I gingered my husband to apply to schools, in fact I dragged him to this thread and he was motivated as well.

He applied to many schools but got admission into TTU with out-of-state waiver for the first and second academic year. We were not even expecting any waiver.

He graduated in 2014 in the dept of mechanical engineering. He had his MSc from same dept too but he only worked has an engineer for let's say a year. Since then he has been working as a freelance writer.

Our worries now:
1) he applied for industrial engineering but I guess due to lack of job experience they redirected him to Engineering (MEN), which is interdisciplinary. He has the option to specialize in some areas. This department does not have GA, TA and internship. It's a taught course with OPT. What's OPT?
I am assuming you mean MSc in General Engineering?
There is a possibility to change departments after the first semester - he might have to take pre-requisites to qualify for an enrollment into the Industrial Engrg program.

i. BSc Mech should have already qualified him for this.
ii. He might lose the waivers after the switch; those waivers are for the MSc in General Engrg.

OPT na optional practical training. Has a sibling called CPT - in simple terms, he can do internships and is granted post-study eligibility.

Do you think he should go ahead with this and which area do you think he should specialize in; biomedical, aerospace, biosystems, Computer, engineering physics, environment, materials science and engineering, mechatronics, and nuclear engineering. uPdate
He mailed the department and they told him to select his first semester courses from industrial engineering dept to be able to switch fully after first semester.
So we are fine with this.
I just saw this after all the plenty explanations I did earlier. smiley
Yes, select courses in IEEN and switch after first semester. Let him verify what happens to the out-of-state waivers.

2) without much work experience in Nigeria, will he be able to get a job in US after his program and will he cope with the system.
Very possible, he should highlight his 1 year experiences and he would get an internship.
These internships would show further work experience.

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:14pm On Mar 13, 2022
Tyleet:
Thanks so much.
Predstan and 1stGenAmerican were very close to what I'd answer.

My experience: I applied, got approved and it was disbursed straight to the school.
The school withheld taxes and gave me what was left after applying the Mp0wer payment to what I owed them.

1. If there is nowhere to disburse it to within the timeframe given, then they keep their money.

2. I know for the other lender I mentioned, they tie their approval to the school you are attending (they have a select list of schools they fund).
So you might have to ask Mp0wer if they can carry this over to the new school you intend to transfer to.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:22pm On Mar 13, 2022
chiboy429:

My question is what are the possibilities for Nigerians to get job and most importantly PR after studies in US?
Is this a good move or the advantages of US outweighs that of Germany ��
1. Nobody can predict chances. There are high possibilities depending on your course if it's in the sciences.
I have very very strong faith in Phd Electrical Engrg or Phd Computer Science and their affiliated minors.
There are many routes to permanent residency in the US.

But do not discount coded courses e.g Phd Material Science.
All this might mean something different depending on your course, work experience and specialization.

2. I can bet my kidneys that the US is the most immigrant-friendly country in the world today.
I can see many many job openings every day, if you have the right skills or you can even build them during your studies, you'll get a job.
Some skills are in higher demand than others.
Germany also has a language barrier.

Hope I have been able to convince and not confuse you with my answers. cheesy

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by yunqdady: 1:24am On Mar 14, 2022
AngelicBeing:
How can you live on planet earth and not be interested in what is going on around you. I schooled , lived and worked in several countries and as a human being l should be concerned about what is happening on earth especially now that we have a Pharoah Nebucadnezzar Putin trying to bring chaos and catastrophe to the world.

Are you not reading, listening and following global news shocked
This wasn't what I asked. Your reply could have been less conceited

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by BunmiBie: 2:41pm On Mar 14, 2022
MackyNaija:

I am assuming you mean MSc in General Engineering?
There is a possibility to change departments after the first semester - he might have to take pre-requisites to qualify for an enrollment into the Industrial Engrg program.

i. BSc Mech should have already qualified him for this.
ii. He might lose the waivers after the switch; those waivers are for the MSc in General Engrg.

OPT na optional practical training. Has a sibling called CPT - in simple terms, he can do internships and is granted post-study eligibility.

I just saw this after all the plenty explanations I did earlier. smiley
Yes, select courses in IEEN and switch after first semester. Let him verify what happens to the out-of-state waivers.

Very possible, he should highlight his 1 year experiences and he would get an internship.
These internships would show further work experience.

Thank you so much.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by isyourboy(m): 1:13pm On Mar 15, 2022
MackyNaija:

Update deh... Stayed tuned. wink

Please how did you go about ending your lease without incurring the dollars for the remaining part of the lease period?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 5:50pm On Mar 15, 2022
I would have tagged someone as regards the highlighted part but I don't like looking for trouble smiley
MackyNaija:

1. Nobody can predict chances. There are high possibilities depending on your course if it's in the sciences.
I have very very strong faith in Phd Electrical Engrg or Phd Computer Science and their affiliated minors.

All this might mean something different depending on your course, work experience and specialization.

2. I can bet my kidneys that the US is the most immigrant-friendly country in the world today.
I can see many many job openings every day, if you have the right skills or you can even build them during your studies, you'll get a job.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by chiboy429(m): 10:09pm On Mar 15, 2022
MackyNaija:

Many thanks for your reply MackyNaija. I deeply appreciate, your response didn't confuse me rather it gave me a better glimpse into the picture. However, could you still further list and buttress the available PR ways you mentioned .

Thank you so much

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.