Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,533 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (391261 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:17pm On Oct 20, 2017
vickertony:
@MackyNaija
Nice pictures grin
you made me remember the movie *vampire Diaries * with the Burn fire pictures

I pray to make it to the USA, soon just like you! smiley
With ample effort and God by your side, it will happen.

Today is my final mid semester exam..
Off to do final revisions.

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 5:51pm On Oct 20, 2017
Pls bro do you know of any school in USA that accept HND for Masters.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by vickertony(m): 8:57pm On Oct 20, 2017
MackyNaija:
With ample effort and God by your side, it will happen.
Today is my final mid semester exam.. Off to do final revisions.
Thank you for your kind words, Goodluck in your exams mate smiley

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by mfarad(m): 9:05pm On Oct 20, 2017
MackyNaija:

I Doubt if I will be here when that of next Fall holds.

@MackyNaija Well done, all the best man! Just curious, what do you mean by the words in quote?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:00pm On Oct 20, 2017
OTAIFOHJ:
Pls bro do you know of any school in USA that accept HND for Masters.
I do not know of any but...

Please take your time to read through this thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/370346/what-hnd-equivalent-usa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2017
vickertony:

Thank you for your kind words, Goodluck in your exams mate smiley

Oboy, I don finish the exam.
The man tumble us! grin

That was the venue.

3 people per row and 2 people in the last row.
11 people for the first exam session and 12 for the second.

I like the arrangement, no room for copying.

Deleted in error -
I was supposed to quote but I modified the post! embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 11:06pm On Oct 20, 2017
MackyNaija:
I do not know of any but...
Please take your time to read through this thread. https://www.nairaland.com/370346/what-hnd-equivalent-usa
Thanks for your swift response
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:08pm On Oct 20, 2017
mfarad:

@MackyNaija Well done, all the best man! Just curious, what do you mean by the words in quote?

I should be doing my thesis then - that's if I can do my final 2 courses in the summer while on internship.

I don't know the possibility but if it works, I won't be around for next Fall session.

OTAIFOHJ:

Thanks for your swift response
No wahala boss.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:16am On Oct 21, 2017
Today is movie night...
All book and no play? You answered right..

Going to see 'The Snowman' at Corpus Christi - hoping the movie is as good as the trailer.

See you all. cool

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:57am On Oct 21, 2017
Just got home...
The cinema was very good!
IMax cinema with reclining seats, the experience cost sha - about $10 a ticket, popcorn and drinks not part of it.

After the movies, I had the iHop experience. The best fast food I have tasted here, I can't fully describe the feeling but your tongue feels every bit of what different parts are put together to make the meals.

If feels very fresh and nicely prepared, I never chop anything like this for here.
Bread dipped in milk+butter and fried I think, steak dipped in honey and grilled, shawarma kinda taco-like with different greens and meat all with a unique taste.

Kai, those people go run person pocket down. smiley cheesy overall it was money well spent.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by vickertony(m): 8:33am On Oct 22, 2017
@MackyNaija
hope the exams weren't that difficult?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:42pm On Oct 22, 2017
vickertony:
@MackyNaija

Difficulty level is relative, depends on the individual taking the test.

One thing I know is that people that didn't read always see hell except they find where to copy.

The strength of the exams is as expected - a little beyond normal quizzes and assignments we do, they test you on exactly what is taught.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ranchhoddas: 10:32pm On Oct 22, 2017
Five ex-presidents came to your school recently. Did you see them?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:40am On Oct 23, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Five ex-presidents came to your school recently. Did you see them?
Hahahahaha!!!
If I am given the chance, I won't even come out to attend lectures! grin

Who the presidents epp??

I have not even been chanced to attend more important events that will benefit my life even if it is socially, assignments hold me for neck like bow tie!

Modified-
I just checked online and it was College Station they went to, Texas A&M system has about 11 schools as part of the system (https://www.tamus.edu/about/universities/) and its headquarter is at College Station.
That's why I didn't hear of the visit, it wasn't at kingsville.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:10am On Oct 23, 2017
Soooo confused right now...

Planning on going to take the driver's license exam tomorrow, I haven't prepared adequately so it is a 50-50 chance of success based on the fact that I will apply common sense + experience while writing it.
It is long overdue, my Nigerian license expires in a few days time - almost 90day since I arrived in the US.

To write or not to write??
Lemme see how tonight preparation goes...
I can't postpone this any longer.

Documents needed and experience will be update later.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by PDPGuy: 4:38am On Oct 23, 2017
MackyNaija:
Soooo confused right now...

Planning on going to take the driver's license exam tomorrow, I haven't prepared adequately so it is a 50-50 chance of success based on the fact that I will apply common sense + experience while writing it.
It is long overdue, my Nigerian license expires in a few days time - almost 90day since I arrived in the US.

To write or not to write??
Lemme see how tonight preparation goes...
I can't postpone this any longer.

Documents needed and experience will be update later.

I’ll advise you to study your state’s driver handbook for, like, 3-4 days before taking the exam. That exam can be quite tricky too.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Shakushaku1(m): 8:22am On Oct 23, 2017
vickertony:
@MackyNaija

Played ya game at the sport section, man God bless ya.. Sorry spam wnt lemme post there.. Too bad na small change I take play am, if u dnt mind lemme gt ya digit, u deserve a lil gesture or appreciation

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:01pm On Oct 23, 2017
PDPGuy:

I’ll advise you to study your state’s driver handbook for, like, 3-4 days before taking the exam. That exam can be quite tricky too.
I have been studying it but on an on-and-off basis.

Anyhow, I will try to write it today.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by legendary4luv(m): 4:07pm On Oct 23, 2017
MackyNaija:

I have been studying it but on an on-and-off basis.

Anyhow, I will try to write it today.

Guy! Enjoy your Yankee experience, we still be UG and bossman is right! I'm studying computer science/mathematics and we are yet to run one line of coding for almighty fvcking uniport!!
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by vickertony(m): 5:40pm On Oct 23, 2017
Shakushaku1:

Played ya game at the sport section, man God bless ya.. Sorry spam wnt lemme post there.. Too bad na small change I take play am, if u dnt mind lemme gt ya digit, u deserve a lil gesture or appreciation

send me pm, Boss or lemme send you, Chk your mail.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by ezzylee(m): 7:58pm On Oct 23, 2017
legendary4luv:

Guy! Enjoy your Yankee experience, we still be UG and bossman is right! I'm studying computer science/mathematics and we are yet to run one line of coding for almighty fvcking uniport!!

Lol... What level you dey?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:08pm On Oct 23, 2017
legendary4luv:

So much for a computer scientist! cheesy
Imaging what you will pass through to catch up here in a masters program if you haven't been building the skills on your own.

Anyway, we are very good at surviving so you will pull through when the time comes.

6 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Afam4eva(m): 8:12pm On Oct 23, 2017
MackyNaija:

So much for a computer scientist! cheesy
Imaging what you will pass through to catch up here in a masters program if you haven't been building the skills on your own.

Anyway, we are very good at surviving so you will pull through when the time comes.
It's the same story for most (if not all) universities in Nigeria. What serious computer science students do is t take IT courses in places like NIIT, APTECH and New Horizon to get grounded in programming languages, databases and networking. if you rely on what you learn in a Nigerian university as far as computer science goes, you're no better than a gala seller (no offense).

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by DONADAMS(m): 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2017
legendary4luv:

guy no be only you oh...I dey 400L....na only maths I fit beat chest for...
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:27pm On Oct 23, 2017
Afam4eva:

It's the same story for most (if not all) universities in Nigeria. What serious computer science students do is t take IT courses in places like NIIT, APTECH and New Horizon to get grounded in programming languages, databases and networking. if you rely on what you learn in a Nigerian university as far as computer science and most disciplines goes, you're no better than a gala seller (no offense).
Same story for the one I attended too...
They only teach old-school knowledge which is rarely applicable in this present day we live in.

I am doing a course on Supply chain management; with what I have learnt so far, I am already feeling like a superman and this is just halfway through the semester. The knowledge gained is eye and mind opening.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:29pm On Oct 23, 2017
PDPGuy:

Took the test and I just got home.

It was a Basic Knowledge Test undecided
I am unhappy I put off writing this test for this long, I would have passed it if I wrote it a month ago. sad
I performed very well from the much I read, got 26 outta 30. You only need 21 correct answers to pass - I just deh give myself unnecessary anxiety.

It was a normal exam though tricky. Twas a nice experience.
Next week is the driving test, I suppose pass this one as per experienced Nigerian driver. cheesy

Documents I used for processing -
1. Passport and Visa
2. I20 and I94.
3. 2 Proof of residence - lease agreement and bank statement (they rejected my electricity bill; it had my address but didn't have my apartment number)
4. $25 fee.

Modified -
The test was to be taken over 480 minutes, I did it in less than 15minutes. It shouldn't take more than 30mins for most people.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Afam4eva(m): 8:37pm On Oct 23, 2017
MackyNaija:

Same story for the one I attended too...
They only teach old-school knowledge which is really applicable in this present day we live in.

I am doing a course on Supply chain management; with what I have learnt so far, I am already feeling like a superman and this is just halfway through the semester. The knowledge gained is eye and mind opening.
Same feeling i had too...If you study at a good university outside the country, you'll realize that Nigerian students are suffering. Life is so easy and straightforward but we're just not ready to move forward.

6 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2017
Oboy, I don finish the exam.
The man tumble us! grin
The result is out, my worst performance so far..
Going by the raw score, I got a 'B' grade and I think 2 people got an 'A' grade.

I no deh feel bad, the man play us 419. The tumbling was a serious something. sad

I have learnt my lesson and will put lessons learnt into practice. Everything seems to still be on course, levels need to change on this course.

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by PDPGuy: 9:04pm On Oct 23, 2017
MackyNaija:

Took the test and I just got home.

It was a Basic Knowledge Test undecided
I am unhappy I put off writing this test for this long, I would have passed it if I wrote it a month ago. sad
I performed very well from the much I read, got 26 outta 30. You only need 21 correct answers to pass - I just deh give myself unnecessary anxiety.

It was a normal exam though tricky. Twas a nice experience.
Next week is the driving test, I suppose pass this one as per experienced Nigerian driver. cheesy

Documents I used for processing -
1. Passport and Visa
2. I20 and I94.
3. 2 Proof of residence - lease agreement and bank statement (they rejected my electricity bill; it had my address but didn't have my apartment number)
4. $25 fee.

Modified -
The test was to be taken over 480 minutes, I did it in less than 15minutes. It shouldn't take more than 30mins for most people.

Congrats! At least, the first half is done and dusted, now onto the 2nd important component.

In California, you'd have to score a minimum of 30/36 on the written test. And at the time I took the driving test, it was free. Then, if you fail the drive test, you get to pay a $5 fee to retake it (the fees may have changed though).
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by ezzylee(m): 11:16pm On Oct 23, 2017
DONADAMS:
guy no be only you oh...I dey 400L....na only maths I fit beat chest for...

Wooow... thought at least most schools would teach at least one or two programming languages. Chai....naija

We were just taught the basics of some languages and when the exam comes, you go dey see stars. They expect you to have read ahead and all.
What I'm tryna point out is that if at least you guys were taught the basics of some languages, when you're asked to learn these things later in future, it'll be easier rather than people saying that an IT person that can't write a line of code.

Me sef wey i dey talk, no be say person know coding coz if you see some codes ehn you go just dey tell yourself say you never learn anything.

You can also learn these things on your own too

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:41am On Oct 24, 2017
PDPGuy:

Congrats! At least, the first half is done and dusted, now onto the 2nd important component.

In California, you'd have to score a minimum of 30/36 on the written test. And at the time I took the driving test, it was free. Then, if you fail the drive test, you get to pay a $5 fee to retake it (the fees may have changed though).
Thanks.
30 outta 36 is a tough one, except the difficulty level is medium.

Driving test shouldn't be a problem, I have driven here a couple of times - at least once weekly in the last 6weeks.

Here, $25 is paid and the process is valid for 90days - 3 chances to pass the written test and 3 chances to pass the driving test in the 90day period.

4 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.