Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,079 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (391598 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:55am On Oct 24, 2017
Nigeria get good music o... smiley

Listening to Ric Hassani - My love featuring the world famous Johnny Drille and Tjan. kiss

Ric Hassani's 'Only You' reminds me of all the lost love over the years back home, those girls don miss me die.

I can only imagine what would happen when I post the first picture on Facebook. cheesy
Abeg, who is well experienced in matters like this?

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by PDPGuy: 7:34am On Oct 24, 2017
MackyNaija:

Thanks.
30 outta 36 is a tough one, except the difficulty level is medium.

Driving test shouldn't be a problem, I have driven here a couple of times - at least once weekly in the last 6weeks.

Here, $25 is paid and the process is valid for 90 days - 3 chances to pass the written test and 3 chances to pass the driving test in the 90 day period.

Wow. Your state is quite considerate. Here, its only the initial drive test that is free.

Also, if you fail the drive test, you will have to wait two weeks after first attempt to retake it.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by legendary4luv(m): 7:43am On Oct 24, 2017
ezzylee:

Lol... What level you dey?

January I don enter finals ooooo......one thing for programming and coding I no sabi, we just dey do copy and paste for exam!
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by legendary4luv(m): 7:45am On Oct 24, 2017
MackyNaija:

So much for a computer scientist! cheesy
Imaging what you will pass through to catch up here in a masters program if you haven't been building the skills on your own.

Anyway, we are very good at surviving so you will pull through when the time comes.

Amen ooooo, I'm using this IT as opportunity to learn one or two things on my own! I pray make I fit cope when I go run my msc
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by legendary4luv(m): 7:45am On Oct 24, 2017
DONADAMS:
guy no be only you oh...I dey 400L....na only maths I fit beat chest for...

lol which school?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by DONADAMS(m): 9:09am On Oct 24, 2017
ezzylee:

Wooow... thought at least most schools would teach at least one or two programming languages. Chai....naija

We were just taught the basics of some languages and when the exam comes, you go dey see stars. They expect you to have read ahead and all.
What I'm tryna point out is that if at least you guys were taught the basics of some languages, when you're asked to learn these things later in future, it'll be easier rather than people saying that an IT person that can't write a line of code.

Me sef wey i dey talk, no be say person know coding coz if you see some codes ehn you go just dey tell yourself say you never learn anything.

You can also learn these things on your own too
tanks bro...God bless!!!

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by ezzylee(m): 9:26am On Oct 24, 2017
legendary4luv:

Amen ooooo, I'm using this IT as opportunity to learn one or two things on my own! I pray make I fit cope when I go run my msc

Nice one..... You should also look at all these websites that teach these things. Sites like udemy, w3schools, etc, are very good. Some of the courses they offer are free and some you have to pay. If you have to pay, always look out for when they're doing discounts (except if you're OBO grin) . You can get those courses for really really cheap prices.

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by ezzylee(m): 9:29am On Oct 24, 2017
legendary4luv:

January I don enter finals ooooo......one thing for programming and coding I no sabi, we just dey do copy and paste for exam!

It would be well. Had friends who didn't pay attention at all to any of the programming classes but after their degree, they chose to dedicate time to learning on their own and they're quite good. Let's not derail MackyNaija 's thread yh.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by RexCheeng: 10:18am On Oct 24, 2017
Hello MackyNaija, does this mean its not necessary to go through the stress of getting an international driver's license here in Nigeria before traveling?
One can simply register over there, take tests and get it done?

Biko reply my question this time cry
MackyNaija:

Took the test and I just got home.

It was a Basic Knowledge Test undecided
I am unhappy I put off writing this test for this long, I would have passed it if I wrote it a month ago. sad
I performed very well from the much I read, got 26 outta 30. You only need 21 correct answers to pass - I just deh give myself unnecessary anxiety.

It was a normal exam though tricky. Twas a nice experience.
Next week is the driving test, I suppose pass this one as per experienced Nigerian driver. cheesy

Documents I used for processing -
1. Passport and Visa
2. I20 and I94.
3. 2 Proof of residence - lease agreement and bank statement (they rejected my electricity bill; it had my address but didn't have my apartment number)
4. $25 fee.

Modified -
The test was to be taken over 480 minutes, I did it in less than 15minutes. It shouldn't take more than 30mins for most people.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by legendary4luv(m): 10:46am On Oct 24, 2017
ezzylee:

Nice one..... You should also look at all these websites that teach these things. Sites like udemy, w3schools, etc, are very good. Some of the courses they offer are free and some you have to pay. If you have to pay, always look out for when they're doing discounts (except if you're OBO grin) . You can get those courses for really really cheap prices.

Thanks boss, I appreciate so much........ Let's keep this thread moving #one love

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:19pm On Oct 24, 2017
PDPGuy:

Wow. Your state is quite considerate. Here, its only the initial drive test that is free.

Also, if you fail the drive test, you will have to wait two weeks after first attempt to retake it.
There should also be a wait period between tests here...
I do not have that info but yea they are verrry lenient, encouraging you all the way. smiley

legendary4luv:

Normal Normal... cheesy

ezzylee:

It would be well. Had friends who didn't pay attention at all to any of the programming classes but after their degree, they chose to dedicate time to learning on their own and they're quite good. Let's not derail MackyNaija 's thread yh.
Nah, no much derailing here.
Someone can learn a thing or two from other people's discussions like the name of the sites you just mentioned but you didn't say the name of the courses.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:27pm On Oct 24, 2017
RexCheeng:
Hello MackyNaija, does this mean its not necessary to go through the stress of getting an international driver's license here in Nigeria before traveling?
One can simply register over there, take tests and get it done?

Biko reply my question this time cry

I didn't bother to get Nigerian International license (I had the normal original one), because there were conflicting reports about how this should be done or what use it would serve.

I helped a friend pick up his original Nigerian driver's license at the licensing office, he said he used the scanned copy I sent him to obtain 'one international license/permit' (Oklahoma) valid for use for one year in the US. He didn't take any test, everything was done online and license mailed to him.

Another friend was stopped by Highway patrol when driving between Houston and Kingsville, he showed his Nigerian license and was allowed to go.

I have been driving with my Nigerian license, felt it will be most sensible to apply for the direct Texas license where there is no doubt concerning the process to obtain it or its validity.

If I haven't answered your question, please ask anymore you have BUT One can simply register over here and take tests like I have done.

Finally, check the requirements of the state you will be going to. It varies from state to state.

6 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:34pm On Oct 24, 2017
One other point I forgot to add...

Instead of doing the written (computer) test at the DPS office, one can do an online 6 hour course, take an online test after the course and this can act as a substitute for the DPS 30 question computer test.

I didn't take this route cos I was unsure as to the correctness of this info. I verified this yesterday though.
Secondly, it costs $36 - $38 depending on the site you use. You will still have to pay $25 for the license at the DPS office, double spending if you ask me.

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:51pm On Oct 24, 2017
MackyNaija:

Brb...
Hunting for the link.

Here - http://www.tamuk.edu/finaid/Cost_of_Attendance/
I am on Graduate resident payment - $19,701.

30hrs to complete a thesis option graduate degree here, 9hrs (fall) + 9hrs (spring) + Summer internship + 6hrs (Fall) + 6hrs thesis

I just looked up this old post...
I checked it up and realised the amount has increased to $22,585, an additional $2884.
I can't tell where the addition is but I will try to find out - if it is in the living cost or miscellaneous expenses then, there is no problem.

Spring entrants, please come with enough money to last you for one semester pending when people back home reorganize and put together more money for you.
Once you leave Nigeria, it will be difficult for people to listen to you. Retrieve all your credits to people and collect all cash promises from people.
Every dollar counts.

Seek for advice from several people before you make decisions, some decisions (even though they are not wrong) will cost you money. E.g living in the most expensive apartments in your area.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by legendary4luv(m): 2:57pm On Oct 24, 2017
MackyNaija:

I do not have that info but yea they are verrry lenient, encouraging you all the way. smiley

Normal Normal... cheesy

Someone can learn a thing or two from other people's discussions like the name of the sites you just mentioned but you didn't say the name of the courses.

Lol, am currently learning HTML basic using sololearn app from playstore

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by ezzylee(m): 4:05pm On Oct 24, 2017
MackyNaija:

Normal Normal... cheesy

Oohhh..... . Depending on what you wanna learn e.g Java, and the platform you wanna use e.g udemy, you can just search on java within udemy and select whichever course meets your requirements(each course would be outlined with all what you're gonna cover within the course) . Each course also has ratings so you'll know which course most people are selecting to learn Java.
These courses can be done at your own pace coz they've been pre-recorded and the people who teach these courses also update them with the latest information so you as a student is up to date on current trends within whatever course you choose to learn.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by charliejose: 9:16pm On Oct 24, 2017
Hello, I'll like to ask a question pertaining accommodation. I emailed an apartment firm some months ago, and they made it known to me that they lease out apartment from 7-12months. I'll like to know if one is to pay monthly or does one have to make the whole payment at once? And if the latter is the case, how does one get apartments that receive rent payment monthly. Thanks. Btw I'm a huge fan of yours. Started following this thread last night, and I'm right up at the current page. Thumbs up!
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:13am On Oct 25, 2017
charliejose:
Hello, I'll like to ask a question pertaining accommodation. I emailed an apartment firm some months ago, and they made it known to me that they lease out apartment from 7-12months. I'll like to know if one is to pay monthly or does one have to make the whole payment at once? And if the latter is the case, how does one get apartments that receive rent payment monthly. Thanks. Btw I'm a huge fan of yours. Started following this thread last night, and I'm right up at the current page. Thumbs up!
Thanks Sir.

For long lease agreements, you pay monthly throughout the 7 or 12month period and if you leave before then, you will still pay the rent + penalty.

I would advice you relax, find temporary accommodation for the first period after you arrive and search for accommodation that does monthly payment arrangements, no long contract.

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:03pm On Oct 25, 2017
This is a link to how our instate tuition payment for international students work.

http://www.tamuk.edu/grad/scholarship_opportunities/new_grad_schl.html

Fall or Summer is the best time to be offered a scholarship, it is effective for a longer period as I explained before.

I have a class in an hour, I don't feel like going anywhere!
Temperature is 48F, this is about the standard temperature in winter proper.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by charliejose: 5:39pm On Oct 25, 2017
MackyNaija:

Thanks Sir.

For long lease agreements, you pay monthly throughout the 7 or 12month period and if you leave before then, you will still pay the rent + penalty.

I would advice you relax, find temporary accommodation for the first period after you arrive and search for accommodation that does monthly payment arrangements, no long contract.
Thanks for the reply and the explanation.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by blezdBen: 9:38pm On Oct 25, 2017
Wheeew!!!...Has anybody ever gone through an 18 page thread in a sitting??
Well I just did. interesting!!

Goodluck to you Sir Macky

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Fish123(m): 9:52pm On Oct 25, 2017
i started following this thread this morning and i've cut up with you guyz at the current page,the tread is quite educating,funny and interesting,Kudos to you brov.
MackyNaija:
Temperature is 48F, this is about the standard temperature in winter proper.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:33am On Oct 27, 2017
charliejose:
Thanks for the reply and the explanation.
You are welcome Sir. smiley

blezdBen:
Wheeew!!!...Has anybody ever gone through an 18 page thread in a sitting??
Well I just did. interesting!!

Goodluck to you Sir Macky
Yes o, last year I did the USA student visa thread in a short time.
Thanks for your wish.

Fish123:
i started following this thread this morning and i've cut up with you guyz at the current page,the tread is quite educating,funny and interesting,Kudos to you brov.
Thanks man. smiley

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:38am On Oct 27, 2017
I was just managing myself to read yesterday ooo...
Suddenly my phone rang - Picked it up - my friend, an indian...

'Macky' what is your grade he asked (in hindu intonation)? shocked
Shuooo... What grade is the guy referring to?

Your midterm result, he said...
Phiam! My heart skipped - not one - but several beats sad

Oboy, first result out of three don show. cry embarassed
Let's leave the concluding discussion for later. grin

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by blezdBen: 6:56am On Oct 27, 2017
MackyNaija:

Yes o, last year I did the USA student visa thread in a short time.

You welcome... meant the thread was interesting and educative too...have a great time.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by bayocanny: 11:03pm On Oct 28, 2017
MackyNaija:
Nigeria get good music o... smiley

Listening to Ric Hassani - My love featuring the world famous Johnny Drille and Tjan. kiss

Ric Hassani's 'Only You' reminds me of all the lost love over the years back home, those girls don miss me die.

I can only imagine what would happen when I post the first picture on Facebook. cheesy
Abeg, who is well experienced in matters like this?
Baba, people go beg you for dollar o grin
Some will claim you as their son or relatives lol
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:13am On Oct 29, 2017
bayocanny:

Baba, people go beg you for dollar o grin
Some will claim you as their son or relatives lol
I don't think up to 20 people on my list actually know I have left Nigeria. cheesy

They would be working with hear say.

The temperature here has dropped badly!
Currently between 3*C and 10*C on the low side.
You hardly see people outside.

It rises and falls all day long, 3*c to as high as 20*c in the same day.

December will be colder, only difference is it doesn't snow here but it is cold as hell.

Call me a bushman, I don't care! Na two cardigan sure pass. smiley Healthcare here is expensive.

8 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by bayocanny: 7:42am On Oct 29, 2017
MackyNaija:

I don't think up to 20 people on my list actually know I have left Nigeria. cheesy

They would be working with hear say.

The temperature here has dropped badly!
Currently between 3*C and 10*C on the low side.
You hardly see people outside.

It rises and falls all day long, 3*c to as high as 20*c in the same day.

December will be colder, only difference is it doesn't snow here but it is cold as hell.

Call me a bushman, I don't care! Na two cardigan sure pass. smiley Healthcare here is expensive.
Lol, start wearing your layers by now, we're bracing for harmattan here as well
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
bayocanny:

Lol, start wearing your layers by now, we're bracing for harmattan here as well
Nigerian harmattan is a joking sturvs... cheesy

You step out in normal t-shirt and in 1minute, the shivering starts.

The temperature rises when the day becomes sunny but it it very cold early in the morning and in the evenings - the lack of snow makes it have an appearance that the cold is less severe than it is.

As is the custom here, I will be turning in 3 assignments between Monday and Tuesday, got an Exam on Tuesday and my driving test is also same day.

I perform better now at managing my time, I still carve out time to go see my friends and spend a little time outside my books.
Most weekends are spent touring other cities but I couldn't leave school this weekend due to school work.

I cannot wait for the semester to end and we get new entrants for Spring, the energy drain is real but I just have to keep pushing.

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by bayocanny: 6:37pm On Oct 29, 2017
MackyNaija:

Nigerian harmattan is a joking sturvs... cheesy

You step out in normal t-shirt and in 1minute, the shivering starts.

The temperature rises when the day becomes sunny but it it very cold early in the morning and in the evenings - the lack of snow makes it have an appearance that the cold is less severe than it is.

As is the custom here, I will be turning in 3 assignments between Monday and Tuesday, got an Exam on Tuesday and my driving test is also same day.

I perform better now at managing my time, I still carve out time to go see my friends and spend a little time outside my books.
Most weekends are spent touring other cities but I couldn't leave school this weekend due to school work.

I cannot wait for the semester to end and we get new entrants for Spring, the energy drain is real but I just have to keep pushing.
you better carry akata use dem to hold body or else you go hear wehnnn for this cold weather..

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:05pm On Oct 30, 2017
bayocanny:

you better carry akata use dem to hold body or else you go hear wehnnn for this cold weather..
Hahahaha grin
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by sonnie10: 7:39pm On Oct 30, 2017
Some tips for the driving

Know the hand signals
Always use your indicators (traffigators) even when you are asked to park
Follow speed limits
Pretend as if you are making use of the mirrors (even when there is no need)
When you are asked to reverse, look directly back not the mirrors.

Good luck

24 Likes 9 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (109) (Reply)

DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.