Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,552 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (390757 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by sonnie10: 4:02pm On Sep 20, 2018
MackyNaija:

I didn't get an internship. Since the buy American, hire American campaign started things have gotten tighter.

It's a liability thing. See if your school sends students on internship through their workforce development program. That way, the company would not worry much about being responsible for you .
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:13pm On Sep 20, 2018
sonnie10:

It's a liability thing. See if your school sends students on internship through their workforce development program. That way, the company would not worry much about being responsible for you .
My plans have changed and I am no longer interested in internships.
I need to graduate and face a fulltime search instead since I have realised that proper packaging of my naija experience will go a long way + a few plugins and add ons and everything will align properly.

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tizzdi(m): 5:16pm On Sep 20, 2018
MackyNaija:

I need to graduate and face a fulltime search instead since I have realised that proper packaging of my naija experience will go a long way + a few plugins and add ons and everything will align properly.
nice bro..quick qstn..can a 2.2 get admission to study computer science in d USofA?..been looking at LSU and also this texas a&m?..thoughts?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:30pm On Sep 21, 2018
tizzdi:
nice bro..quick qstn..can a 2.2 get admission to study computer science in d USofA?..been looking at LSU and also this texas a&m?..thoughts?
Convert your 2.2 to a US grading standard.
Check the requirements of your target schools, turn in an application that's all packaged and wait...

The undergraduate grade isn't the only deciding factor when your profile is being reviewed.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tizzdi(m): 11:22am On Sep 22, 2018
MackyNaija:

Convert your 2.2 to a US grading standard.
Check the requirements of your target schools, turn in an application that's all packaged and wait...

The undergraduate grade isn't the only deciding factor when your profile is being reviewed.
ok bro tnks want to apply for Msc in computer science an idea wat school would be good in terms of cost and availability?

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:44pm On Sep 22, 2018
tizzdi:
ok bro tnks want to apply for Msc in computer science an idea wat school would be good in terms of cost and availability?
You should search the internet, come up with a shortlist and post your findings on the USA student visa thread for people in the Computer Science line to guide you.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Babyvet: 2:59pm On Sep 23, 2018
MackyNaija:

'

yes , you need to start early because you not only need a job but also immigration sponsorship.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tizzdi(m): 2:43pm On Sep 25, 2018
i have actually heard of situations where like a recruitment company gets u a job where they sponsor international graduates for hb1 but there’s a catch to it..like 40% of your income is theirs as long as u working for the company they got for you..so let say u earn 20k per yr..then they are entitled to 40% of it..dont knw how true this is tho

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 2:55pm On Sep 25, 2018
The person that told you that fallacy must be a fantastically corrupt Nigeria. No one US company will hire you just to get a cut of your salary rather you get hired based on your skill and the value you will add to the company.
tizzdi:
i have actually heard of situations where like a recruitment company gets u a job where they sponsor international graduates for hb1 but there’s a catch to it..like 40% of your income is theirs as long as u working for the company they got for you..so let say u earn 20k per yr..then they are entitled to 40% of it..dont knw how true this is tho

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tizzdi(m): 3:20pm On Sep 25, 2018
Dremca:
The person that told you that fallacy must be a fantastically corrupt Nigeria. No one US company will hire you just to get a cut of your salary rather you get hired based on your skill and the value you will add to the company.
lol..not the company but like an agency “looks” for the job for u..i dont knw if u get?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 3:54pm On Sep 25, 2018
Caveat Emptor
tizzdi:
lol..not the company but like an agency “looks” for the job for u..i dont knw if u get?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by seyewest(m): 12:34pm On Sep 28, 2018
tizzdi:

Does it make sense? This is not Nigeria where everything flow just like that.... They can always get people to work for them cheaply instead of hustling for visa for Nigeria for 40%
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Babyvet: 3:10pm On Sep 28, 2018
tizzdi:

It’s actually against the law, so legally they are not allowed to do it . But I’m not going to deny that some companies do it because some immigrants are too desperate and will take anything they get.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Babyvet: 3:11pm On Sep 28, 2018
tizzdi:

It’s actually against the law, so legally they are not allowed to do it . But I’m not going to deny that some companies do it because some immigrants are too desperate and will take anything they get. Which is why SOME Americans don’t like foreigners because they feel like they’re taking jobs and bringing down wages.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tizzdi(m): 7:30pm On Sep 28, 2018
seyewest:

Does it make sense? This is not Nigeria where everything flow just like that.... They can always get people to work for them cheaply instead of hustling for visa for Nigeria for 40%
u were saying?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by seyewest(m): 3:03am On Sep 29, 2018
tizzdi:
u were saying?

Does it make sense for the company to do that? when they can get someone living in the States to do the job.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tizzdi(m): 11:07am On Sep 29, 2018
seyewest:

Does it make sense for the company to do that? when they can get someone living in the States to do the job.
pls note am not supporting anything am just stating the facts..like when push comes to shove, its also an option to be considered..you still don’t understand..lets say i and an individual have an agreement for me to get him a job that actually sponsors HB1 and part of the agreement is that i get 40percent of his salary as long as he works there..am not the one hiring him, thing is i just know the right places to get him a job tht actually sponsors d visa class
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 12:14pm On Sep 29, 2018
Please be careful of this so called agent. Yankee no be like naija
tizzdi:
pls note am not supporting anything am just stating the facts..like when push comes to shove, its also an option to be considered..you still don’t understand..lets say i and an individual have an agreement for me to get him a job that actually sponsors HB1 and part of the agreement is that i get 40percent of his salary as long as he works there..am not the one hiring him, thing is i just know the right places to get him a job tht actually sponsors d visa class
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tizzdi(m): 12:46pm On Sep 29, 2018
Dremca:
lol..i de my papa house for naija..nothing concern me yet with yankee
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by lillaowow(m): 4:49pm On Sep 29, 2018
Dremca:

Things are so bad in Naija that people don't even know what normal process looks like anymore.

No one in Yankee will collect money from you (or pay you half) to sponsor your H1b. If you hear anyone doing it, there isn't a formal agreement and they are at a big risk of loosing everything

We have labor laws here. You as the employee can report them if you get mistreated. No one will risk lawsuits to save little dollars.

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 5:24pm On Sep 29, 2018
Just as I read how apple are to pay its employee in California a meal break and in Nigeria many private companies still owes their workers and those that even pay, even pay half and he s comparing Nigeria to US that has law protecting employee's right.https://www.employmentattorneyla.com/blog/2017/06/apple-loses-california-class-action-lawsuit-must-pay-employees-2-million-for-denying-meal-breaks.shtml
lillaowow:

Things are so bad in Naija that people don't even know what normal process looks like anymore.

No one in Yankee will collect money from you (or pay you half) to sponsor your H1b. If you hear anyone doing it, there isn't a formal agreement and they are at a big risk of loosing everything

We have labor laws here. You as the employee can report them if you get mistreated. No one will risk lawsuits to save little dollars.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by JandyJ(m): 4:49pm On Oct 01, 2018
Happy independence everyone

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by JandyJ(m): 4:49pm On Oct 01, 2018
MackyNaija:

How's skul man?? U should be graduating this year
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by rinzaugustine: 6:40am On Oct 11, 2018
Tunmise100:
@MackyNaija i will like to know if you were able to land an internship for summer because i need ur opinion in that regards. it seem to me that to land an internship here in america is not easy.
I am happy you are going to have a raw taste of what your hero idol,TRump put in place to keep out people like you from the american system.In your posts, you were insulting Obama and democrats who passed many laws to help minorities like you.After your studies here,you will realize that you are still outside the american system and the difference between you and the person living in nigeria is the american fast food you will eat.The experience will help you to better understand how your 'hero' trump and his fellow hardcore racists feel about people that look like you

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by hammed71(m): 8:36am On Oct 11, 2018
grin
rinzaugustine:
I am happy you are going to have a raw taste of what your hero idol,TRump put in place to keep out people like you from the american system.In your posts, you were insulting Obama and democrats who passed many laws to help minorities like you.After your studies here,you will realize that you are still outside the american system and the difference between you and the person living in nigeria is the american fast food you will eat.The experience will help you to better understand how your 'hero' trump and his fellow hardcore racists feel about people that look like you

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by lillaowow(m): 7:40pm On Oct 12, 2018
rinzaugustine:

Thank you.
All these Naija people supporting people against their interest.
Only looking at issues from their bigoted religious point of view

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Babyvet: 7:53pm On Oct 12, 2018
rinzaugustine:

Lol, very rude awakening.

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ugosample(m): 9:31pm On Oct 12, 2018
lillaowow:

Thank you. All these Naija people supporting people against their interest. Only looking at issues from their bigoted religious point of view
don't mind them
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ugosample(m): 9:33pm On Oct 12, 2018
rinzaugustine:

LMAO

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by BenNash: 11:24pm On Oct 12, 2018
rinzaugustine:
LMAO, this one got me.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by lillaowow(m): 3:49am On Oct 13, 2018
Ugosample:

don't mind them

I was curious so I went through @Tumise100's posts.

Now I wish Trump immigration policy be effective on him as such that when he finishes his studies, he find himself having to go back to Nigeria or stay and be out of status. Thankfully, company sponsorship of H1b is at all time low. Now, let's see how he like it now.

#MAGA grin grin.

PS: idiots supports policies and ideologies against their own interests.

8 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ugosample(m): 7:08am On Oct 13, 2018
lillaowow:

I was curious and I went through the @Tumise100's posts.
Now I wish Trump immigration policy be effective in him as such that when he finishes his studies, he find himself having to go back to Nigeria or stay and be out of status. Thankfully, company sponsorship of H1b is at all time low. Now, let's see how he like it now.

#MAGA grin grin.

PS: idiots supports policies or ideologies against their own interests.

when Africans have refused to use their sense grin cheesy tongue

Its good for them

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.