Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,964 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389315 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:56am On Aug 22, 2018
The journey so far -

1. The new semester started this week.
Same old, same old - attend classes, sign the attendance sheet for free marks, copy assignments and copy during tests and exams (the last two points are actually new tactics).

Prepared for lectures on Tuesday morning, checked the schedule online to confirm the time and discovered the lecturer has been changed to the one that gives high blood pressure cry - even the devil knows I am going to change the course and do a harder one with a more sensitive lecturer.

2. I discovered how to survive with different sets of food over the summer. smiley

a. Home baked fries and chicken. (Froozen fries and pre-seasoned chicken).

b. Baked potatoes with butter or cheese. (Not sweet or irish but russet potatoes).

c. Home prepared tacos with chicken or beef - una need see as I don fresh. grin

d. Oven toast bread with cheese, scrambled eggs and bacon. "Broil" bread for 1 minute until crisp on both sides for us without toaster.

e. Okro OR Spinach soup. Frozen okro, tastes like normal. Spinach na vegetable soup.
Garri either hard to find or too cost, replaced that with wheat.

30 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:18pm On Aug 22, 2018
3. Student Loan.
Been looking at students loans for a while...

Prod1gy too like sure things not knowing that nothing in this life is sure. They only give loans to students in 'top schools'.
Unluckily for me, 3 schools I was admitted to but failed to attend are on their positive list.

St1lt gives to international students without co-signers. I jokingly applied last week for $6,000. 2 days after the confirmatory call, I got an offer for $1,500 - I could only be given a 'personal loan' and not the student loan I wanted. I need to put 4 references incase they cannot reach me.

MPow3r gives to international students without co-signers. I also jokingly applied last weekend after the St1lt confirmatory call, I applied for $12,000 since that of St1lt was looking promising and they allowed application for a full term (2 semesters).
I was given a conditional offer for the full sum - $12,000. I need to submit items like transcript, tuition invoice, Nigerian permanent home address etc etc and we progress from there.

Yet to accept any. I'll talk more about the terms and duration when I am chanced.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:21pm On Aug 22, 2018
4. Credit Card for credit history build.

Getting one is not as difficult as it should be - too easy for my liking.
The amount that will be offered to an individual (F1 student) majorly depends on who refers you.
Range or credit amount available ranges from $300 to as high as $10,000. (Please don't argue with me on this instead ask for referral link).

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:27pm On Aug 22, 2018
5. NSBE SEEK program.
http://www.nsbe.org/Seek/About-SEEK.aspx

The NAtional Society of Black Engineers SEEK (Summer Engineering Experience for Kids) is a good way to spend the summer - I spent mine in other ways.
If you miss an internship, do not miss this one - it is a way to give a positive impact and you'll be rewarded in dollars for your volunteer work. Pays around $2,400 before tax.

I got the offer but choose to play Candy Crush all summer (several proof uploaded already) and you can ask Orbis, he knows. cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:30pm On Aug 22, 2018
From the entire process, I think the MPow3r option is available to students yet to arrive in the US cos they mentioned assisting you to get a visa and some other documentation that points in that line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWPyG9yZ_Wo

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:43pm On Aug 22, 2018
I was told today the US embassy was closed last week. Why?

A passport was received with an unusal amount of powder in it. First thing that came to my mind was anthrax!!! shocked shocked shocked

In the real world, it is more likely to be 'otumokpo' from one baba... VO must gimme visa. grin grin cheesy cheesy

Story below
http://everyday.ng/2018/08/19/us-consular-services-returning-to-abuja-after-powdered-passport-thought-to-be-anthraxed-led-to-suspension/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by HeWrites(m): 12:49pm On Aug 22, 2018
MackyNaija:
I was told today the US embassy was closed last week. Why?

A passport was received with an unusal amount of powder in it. First thing that came to my mind was anthrax!!! shocked shocked shocked

In the real world, it is more likely to be 'otumokpo' from one baba... VO must gimme visa. grin grin cheesy cheesy

Na so.. Some Nigerians and overdo.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 3:23pm On Aug 22, 2018
Which version of candy crush did you play and what's level where you on grin
MackyNaija:
5. NSBE SEEK program.
http://www.nsbe.org/Seek/About-SEEK.aspx

The NAtional Society of Black Engineers SEEK (Summer Engineering Experience for Kids) is a good way to spend the summer - I spent mine in other ways.
If you miss an internship, do not miss this one - it is a way to give a positive impact and you'll be rewarded in dollars for your volunteer work. Pays around $2,400 before tax.

I got the offer but choose to play Candy Crush all summer (several proof uploaded already) and you can ask Orbis, he knows. cheesy
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:53pm On Aug 22, 2018
Dremca:
Which version of candy crush did you play and what's level where you on grin
The original and hardest one. tongue

Take it..

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by lillaowow(m): 4:00pm On Aug 23, 2018
MackyNaija:
4. Credit Card for credit history build.

Getting one is not as difficult as it should be - too easy for my liking.
The amount that will be offered to an individual (F1 student) majorly depends on who refers you.
Range or credit amount available ranges from $300 to as high as $10,000. (Please don't argue with me on this instead ask for referral link).

Nope, there's a chase card of $100,000 limit. There are also unlimited "black" cards.

Where is your referral link tho. Let's see what you got.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by LearnAndObey: 4:20pm On Aug 23, 2018
MackyNaija:
3. Student Loan.

Prodigy too like sure things not knowing that nothing in this life is sure. They only give loans to students in 'top schools'.
Unluckily for me, 3 schools I was admitted to but failed to attend are on their positive list.

Stilt gives to international students without co-signers. I jokingly applied last week for $6,000. 2 days after the confirmatory call, I got an offer for $1,500 - I could only be given a 'personal loan' and not the student loan I wanted. I need to put 4 references incase they cannot reach me.

MPower gives to international students without co-signers. I also jokingly applied last weekend after the Stilt confirmatory call, I applied for $12,000 since that of Stilt was looking promising and they allowed application for a full term (2 semesters).
I was given a conditional offer for the full sum - $12,000. I need to submit items like transcript, tuition invoice, Nigerian permanent home address etc etc and we progress from there.

Yet to accept any. I'll talk more about the terms and duration when I am chanced.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by LearnAndObey: 4:22pm On Aug 23, 2018
MackyNaija:
From the entire process, I think the MPower option is available to students yet to arrive in the US cos they mentioned assisting you to get a visa and some other documentation that points in that line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWPyG9yZ_Wo

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AcMode: 3:02pm On Aug 24, 2018
MackyNaija:
3. Student Loan.

Prodigy too like sure things not knowing that nothing in this life is sure. They only give loans to students in 'top schools'.

Stilt gives to international students without co-signers. I jokingly applied last week for $6,000. 2 days after the confirmatory call, I got an offer for $1,500 - I could only be given a 'personal loan' and not the student loan I wanted. I need to put 4 references incase they cannot reach me.

MPower gives to international students without co-signers. I also jokingly applied last weekend after the Stilt confirmatory call, I applied for $12,000 since that of Stilt was looking promising and they allowed application for a full term (2 semesters).

Nice one bro, I've been following this your thread for a long time, u dey really inspire me to begin push for further studies.
Please how did you circumvent this MPower Loan application because I just checked and university of texas at Kingsville and some other schools I have in mind does not show up. How did you go about your application. Thank you as I await your response.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:30pm On Aug 24, 2018
lillaowow:

Nope, there's a chase card of $100,000 limit. There are also unlimited "black" cards.

Where is your referral link tho. Let's see what you got.
I meant for students on F1 visa with limited credit history.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:33pm On Aug 24, 2018
AcMode:

Nice one bro, I've been following this your thread for a long time, u dey really inspire me to begin push for further studies.
Please how did you circumvent this MPower Loan application because I just checked and university of texas at Kingsville and some other schools I have in mind does not show up. How did you go about your application. Thank you as I await your response.
I am just hearing this for the first time.

I cannot remember them having any barrier as to what schools are eligible. Prodigy has such barriers though.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AcMode: 12:19am On Aug 25, 2018
MackyNaija:

I am just hearing this for the first time.

I cannot remember them having any barrier as to what schools are eligible. Prodigy has such barriers though.

Look at the picture...am I doing it wrongly? Please check and clarify me

Can I pm u?

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Gavrelino123: 3:36pm On Aug 26, 2018
MackyNaija:
Guy, 'nobody' know say I deh here.
When the guys say how far or how work.. I say I'm good, no longer working.
When they indicate the want to come visit, I say I no deh Nigeria again.

Very few people knew I was leaving. Them go see pictures this time next year. cheesy
This shows you are well informed.. More Blessing bro..

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:23am On Aug 28, 2018
AcMode:

Look at the picture...am I doing it wrongly? Please check and clarify me
Can I pm u?
Technically, I don't do pm,s.
I was able to put my school and go through with the application.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:27am On Aug 28, 2018
St1lt Loan -
I have a beyond good profile, put in the loan application but they still feel I am not creditworthy enough to be given $6k.

As I had said, they approved me for a $1,500 personal loan, close to 20% interest and 12month duration.
I think the major thing I have been asked to tender as part of the requirements are 4 US references and 1 home country reference. Nothing special.

After you apply and submit, you pick a date and time to get a phone call from them, answer some questions you put in the application and they decline the loan or approve it and ask you to accept it or not in 7 days.

After the acceptance comes the references.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:35am On Aug 28, 2018
MP0wer Loan -

They have a more robust application process.
As I had said, they conditionally approved me for a $12,000 personal loan (2 semesters), about 10-15% interest and 10 year/120 month duration.
Terms not finalized yet.

From my experience, there is a tab on the application where you fill in financial details.

As an example....
If you say your cost of Annual attendance is $30,000, you'll need to give a breakdown of how you hope to put together this sum.
$5k personal savings + $12k support from friends and family + $3k scholarship + $10k mpower loan = $30k Cost of attendance.

The catch - You will have to show proof of the 5 + 12 + 3 that makes up the part their loan will not cover.

A lot of documentation is needed, nothing special cos you have all. i20, i94, visa, your home country ID (different from Intl passport), proof of home country address etc etc.
Transcript, resume and others.

You MUST tender All that is asked for cos they will keep emailing you to ask for anything that is missing. These documents are nothing special or out of reach.

They offer between $2,500 to $50,000, $25,000 for each academic period.
If you can, please attend a school that doesn't cost so much - student loan debt is a real hassle for Americans here. I hear some people pay $15,000 to as high as $23,000 per semester for masters for fees... cry

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:44am On Aug 28, 2018
My PERSONAL opinion -

Both do not require a cosigner or social security number (precursor to credit score).

On Mp0wer, the better your college transcript, GRE, and TOEFL - I think you will get pre-approved (conditional offer).

I also think that to stand a better chance, be a student applicant Already in the US, have college grades to show and be close to the end of your program. This gives you a stronger profile as they can see a 'record' since don't use credit scores or cosigners.

Last line - Don't rush in and rush out, I feel if you are denied once, your chances on getting approved if you apply again reduces.
Be patient, take it slow, use your brain and put together an excellent application.
I'll update as things progress.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:58am On Aug 28, 2018
AcMode:

I just revisited both of your last 2 posts to me...

i. It is either Univ of Texas, Austin or Texas A&M.

ii. After using Texas A&M in the first box, skip Kingsville. Meaning, use Texas A&M for both selections/boxes. We are technically one - Texas A&M System.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:37am On Aug 28, 2018
St1lt : You are eligible for and can apply for another loan after making 50% on-time payments on the current one that has a 12month duration.

Mp0wer : From my dashboard - If you are considering a different university or program, or you need a second loan you can Start a new application. We recommend you to submit your application 60 days before the start of the academic period for which you would like the loan applied.

From the website FAQ -
Q. I AM A STUDENT IN MY FIRST YEAR OF A 3 OR 4 YEAR PROGRAM. AM I STILL ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
A. At this time, MP0W3R only lends to students in the last 2 years of their program of study.

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Predstan: 12:34pm On Sep 04, 2018
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by dustydee: 1:54pm On Sep 04, 2018
Predstan:
Hi Op. Do you advice I lend as high as 25k from Prodigy finance or Mpower to start my Masters in Electrical Engineering at the University of South Florida?
lend? You have money o.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:37am On Sep 06, 2018
Predstan:
Hi Op. Do you advice I lend as high as 25k from Prodigy finance or Mpower to start my Masters in Electrical Engineering at the University of South Florida?
This is a personal decision, no one should make it for you.

Do your permutation and combination and ask yourself if it is a worthy investment.

Most especially, check if your school and course is covered by these lending agencies.

Another advice I can give is to take advantage of low tuition and available scholarships to reduce the cost needed to achieve your dream. Fees can be as high as $15,000 per semester, I paid about $3,500 for each of my first 2 semesters.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:41am On Sep 06, 2018
Predstan:
Hi Op. Do you advice I lend...?
Check the differences between lend and borrow.

@Dustydee. I go break your neck o! cheesy
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:47am On Sep 06, 2018
*Update*
I have received the $1500. I wish I didnt accept the offer, I still deh think wetin to take the money do.
They transfer cash to the applicant's account.
This will help me show varying forms of credit facilities in my credit report.

The 12k loan is in the final stages, signed the paperwork. They will verify my enrollment with my school and verify I actually owe the amount and they transfer directly to the school.

It still feels too good to be true. It was toooooo easy getting approved for these loans.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Olalekank(m): 7:42am On Sep 06, 2018
MackyNaija:
*Update*
I have received the $1500. I wish I didnt accept the offer, I still deh think wetin to take the money do.
They transfer cash to the applicant's account.
This will help me show varying forms of credit facilities in my credit report.

The 12k loan is in the final stages, signed the paperwork. They will verify my enrollment with my school and verify I actually owe the amount and they transfer directly to the school.

It still feels too good to be true. It was toooooo easy getting approved for these loans.
Did anyone sign for you?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:07am On Sep 06, 2018
Olalekank:

Did anyone sign for you?
No cosigner, No collateral.

Read this current page from above.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.