Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,009 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) (35222 Views)

Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by ikoduduakpode(m): 10:17pm On Sep 24, 2017
the truth is that Britishs are terrorists, forget it after coming across a book titled the secret of America n so on, I loose hope on this world we are today. because despite all you see you have not seen any until it is revealed unto you.

3 Likes

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Nobody: 10:56pm On Sep 24, 2017
Gwaihir:

Please stop yapping like an illiterate.

Ijebu impeding Ibadan from trade and yet they need to ally with the Brits? Who really then was the trade starving Ibadan or the Brits? And if there were so invincible as you claim, why did they need to ally with the Brits?

Now let me tell you about facts, before the Brits, there was the Ekiti war that had Awujale Fidipote to send Balogun Onafowokan to wage war in Ibadan. That particular king was vehemently against the order of things then and wanted what was rightly due to him on his own land. That was how the Kuku name came into prominence. Ijebus were the first to start using arms which gave them an advantage over the rest of Yoruba land which saw even the Ooni send an emissary to Awujale Fusngbuwa when the Owu were pummeling the Ife, not Ibadan that you claim had a stronger military might. It was the Ijebus that help finish off the Owus which is why they are in that part of Ogun state today. The Ooni was about to lose his kingdom and it was the Awujale of that time that made Ifes not to tell sorry tales about what could have befallen their forefathers in time past.

To add to it, it was Balogun Kuku who sold arms to Ibadan and it was his turncoat that saved Ibadan from being pummeled further. It is all in history, please go and read up.

It may interest you to know, Ijebu was immuned through out the various wars that plagued Yorubaland not until the British came. Not Ibadan that was assaulted by the Alaafin and became what it is by the combined efforts of Ijebu,Owu,Egba warriors for it to stand as what it is today. There is even a district in Ibadan that belongs to the Ijebus as a result of the wars and you say they were invincible? Show me a place in Ijebu where any other tribe holds a district in it.

I have the links if you want.
Ibadan was founded by warriors from Ilesha, Ogbomoso and Oyo as a war camp to ward off attacks from Ijebus, Ekitis and Ados (Binis) against Oyo kingdom

https://www.nairaland.com/3239459/jalumi-war-1878-ibadan-vs

1 Like

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Nobody: 11:02pm On Sep 24, 2017
walexy100:

Ibadan was founded by warriors from Ilesha, Ogbomoso and Oyo as a war camp to ward off attacks from Ijebus, Ekitis and Ados (Binis) against Oyo kingdom

https://www.nairaland.com/3239459/jalumi-war-1878-ibadan-vs

You are quoting a nland link to dispute Wikipedia or the series of links i posted on this thread?

For crying out loud when did the Benins or would they have a reason to launch attacks on Ibadan? Instead of Owo kingdom which was on their path to the sea? undecided

Plus how can Ibadan.be founded after Ijebu and the rest launched attacks on it? How can Ibadan be founded by Oyo warriors and then the Alaafin would launch attacks on it? Does that sound logical to you? Is Lagelu the founder an Oyo man or Ife?

Please don't quote me with spurious links henceforth.

1 Like

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by isalegan2: 12:08am On Sep 25, 2017
LordGuru1:
Even Uthman dan fodio fought against the North, but the North is now united, that's why they are dominating Nigeria. Ojuckwu dragged igbos to senseless war that got over 3Million of them killed, yet they put that behind them, forgave him and still celebrated him. While senaible Tribes are uniting to be Stronger and dominate other races, some is posting useless Yorubas history that further divides us. Past Yorubas historians are too narrow minded trying to get local glory for their towns, there are plenty great War Histories that should be written about Yorubas United Military Intelligence. I've not read a single History, except short writeups, about Jalumi war of 1835 and Ajashe/Oshogbo War of 1840. For this 2 Historical Wars, Yorubas Military Intelligence and merciless Soldiers came together from Ekiti, Oyo, Ondo, Egba, Ibadan, Ijesha, etc... to wage a fierce War against the advancing Hausa/Fulanis massive troups and slaghteted them all once and for all. They never returned to try Yorubas again after that 1840 War. If not for the Unity displayed by the Yorubas then, all Yoruba Lands would have been enslaved like Ilorin and had Emirs installed instead of our wonderful Obas as we know it today. Yorubas should stop trying to dominate themselves, they should join hands and dominate their enemies and conquer the World, that's what sensible Tribes do. I'm suspecting that an igbo created this thread to bring back disUnity among Yorubas that are already Uniting and getting stronger. GOD is watching you. Whatsoever a man sow, that he shall reap. You sow discords and problems among other People....

History is never useless! Regardless of the motivation of the OP, it is vital that we not allow misinformation to be accepted as fact about our people and heritage and must respond appropriately. As you yourself concluded, Yorubas are not divided. A people that endured wars and resettlement over and over for decades will never go back to take up arms against one another. (Note: Ife-Modakeke crises is not germaine, please.)

cc: Mayoroflagos, Oam4j, Mynd44, Hercules07, Kilode1, Katsumoto, Macof, 9jaCrip or his reincarnation . . .

A related topic: https://www.nairaland.com/864525/yoruba-kiriji-wars-1877-1893
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by grandstar(m): 2:00am On Sep 25, 2017
lawani:
I read somewhere that over 50,000 ibadan troops accompanied the British. Only Ilorin And Ijebu Restricted The British. The Ibadan were allies of the British Throughout as if to ratify the odu ose meji the conqueror that birthed ibadan. True To That Odu, Ibadan Has never been conquered in war.

50,000 troops for where? This no be World war 1
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by TOKUGAWA(m): 5:57am On Sep 25, 2017
omofunaab:

Is there any land without strangers?
Historically, during this period strangers were not alloweed into Ijebuland.All transactions were done at the border town (Mamu)

2 Likes

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by hilroy: 6:14am On Sep 25, 2017
Malawian:
This "war", did it come before or after the Yoruba kings wrote to the British, begging them to come and colonize them for free?

And why did british colonized your backward uncivilized tribe? Was it not because your guys were cannibals and they just have to help by colonizing your savagery tribe from eating yourselves into extinction.

God punish anyone that got my initial post responding to the quoted post blocked and God punish more anyone that report this new post.

If you fools can take punches, do not throw the first jab

1 Like

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Gamesmart: 7:43am On Sep 25, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

When Ooni of Ife Oba Sijuade was busy selling out to Politicians.

Awujale was standing firm.

Standing firm in nonentity-ness?

How does this show "he does not take nonsense from other Kings"?
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by 1kinggy(m): 8:14am On Sep 25, 2017
Gwaihir:

Ijebu impeding Ibadan from trade and yet they need to ally with the Brits? Who really then was the trade starving Ibadan or the Brits? And if there were so invincible as you claim, why did they need to ally with the Brits?

Now let me tell you about facts, before the Brits, there was the Ekiti war that had Awujale Fidipote to send Balogun Onafowokan to wage war in Ibadan. That particular king was vehemently against the order of things then and wanted what was rightly due to him on his own land. That was how the Kuku name came into prominence. Ijebus were the first to start using arms which gave them an advantage over the rest of Yoruba land which saw even the Ooni send an emissary to Awujale Fusngbuwa when the Owu were pummeling the Ife, not Ibadan that you claim had a stronger military might. It was the Ijebus that help finish off the Owus which is why they are in that part of Ogun state today. The Ooni was about to lose his kingdom and it was the Awujale of that time that made Ifes not to tell sorry tales about what could have befallen their forefathers in time past.

To add to it, it was Balogun Kuku who sold arms to Ibadan and it was his turncoat that saved Ibadan from being pummeled further. It is all in history, please go and read up.

It may interest you to know, Ijebu was immuned through out the various wars that plagued Yorubaland not until the British came. Not Ibadan that was assaulted by the Alaafin and became what it is by the combined efforts of Ijebu,Owu,Egba warriors for it to stand as what it is today. There is even a district in Ibadan that belongs to the Ijebus as a result of the wars and you say they were invincible? Show me a place in Ijebu where any other tribe holds a district in it.

Please, any online link to read further.
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by irynterri(f): 9:59am On Sep 25, 2017
musicwriter:

In history, you have to put it in "time" to be able to show they were doing so before external influence. The first Europeans (Portuguese) arrived Lagos in 1425 or thereabout. And afterwards Europeans generally began establishing trading posts in other coastal cities across Africa.

All you have to do is ask the Emir or tell me the period these wars happened before the early 1400's when Europeans arrived.

You also have to tell me what weapons were invented during the so called wars, because weapons of war are mandatorily built during wars. Example; in the short period of the Nigeria-Biafra civil war 1967-1970; Biafra built so many weapons, among them a weapon called "Ogbunigwe", translated in English as "mass killer". Let me know what weapons built across Nigeria and Africa during our wars. I need to see the museums those weapons are heaped.
they used swords and horses gotten from Arab merchants, you can read up what Queen Amina of zauzau was famous for,some of those swords and arrows are still in exhibition in present day Zaria, although I think the peace was brought about by the Fulanis that took over their lands and made sokoto the seat of the caliphate.what I don't know is if they did it with the aid of the Europeans
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Oothman(m): 12:50pm On Sep 25, 2017
TOKUGAWA:
bros,when was Ibadan established? When did Ibadan get it's first king?
TOKUGAWA LEYASU cheesy cheesy cheesy . Seems you love Japanese history. I like the story of him and TOYOTOMI HIDEYOSHI
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by TOKUGAWA(m): 2:30pm On Sep 25, 2017
Oothman:
TOKUGAWA LEYASU cheesy cheesy cheesy . Seems you love Japanese history. I like the story of him and TOYOTOMI HIDEYOSHI
Japaneses history was my favorite,Tokugawa n Meiji restoration

1 Like

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Oothman(m): 2:57pm On Sep 25, 2017
TOKUGAWA:
Japaneses history was my favorite,Tokugawa n Meiji restoration
wow! could you please text the sites or books you read on their history. I always resort to wikipaedia for information. Also, if you like playing games, there is this gaame called Total War: Shogun 2.
It was set during the shogunate era where japan was not really united. Clans like, Shimazu, Chokosabe, Takeda, Ashkaga, Oda, Osumi, Owari and so on are represented there.
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by TOKUGAWA(m): 3:07pm On Sep 25, 2017
Go and look for Japan: Its history and culture by Morton 1970. Or better still get the full episode of Samurai X(lol)
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Oothman(m): 3:32pm On Sep 25, 2017
TOKUGAWA:
Go and look for Japan: Its history and culture by Morton 1970. Or better still get the full episode of Samurai X(lol)
Found one alreadyhistory dot com/topics/meiji-restoration
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by 1kinggy(m): 7:29am On Sep 26, 2017
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Outofsync(m): 4:16pm On Sep 28, 2017
TOKUGAWA:
For those that wants to read more on this,please grab a copy of Groundwork of Nigerian history. Its the bible of Nigerian history.

please do you have a copy of this book and can you mail it to me...

thanks
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Fitbillionairep: 5:15pm On Aug 14, 2018
huhuhu....they even bleeped the goddess doggy style and burnt her and their shrines lol.
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by googi: 11:42pm On Aug 14, 2018
Ok, I got it.

No wonder we called them Ijebu Onibo 'di.

Aweso o!

Just a joke don't get mad o. Do not spoil a good topic.

TOKUGAWA:
Facts about the Ijebu people of Nigeria:

1. Ijebu’s were the first people to have contact with Euràopeans in 14th Century.

2. Ijebu’s were the first to be educated by western education

3. First people to manufacture gear of wars in history of Nigeria.

4. First people to contend the slavery extortion in the region.

5. The first people to invent money made from Cowry shell, later made Coin called PANDORA
which was acceptable through Africa and Europe

6. Ijebu was the first indigenous CLERK to European missionaries.

7. The Europeans Observers found them more intelligent than the other groups in Nigeria.

8. Ijebu was the one to raise agitation from emancipation from Colonialism.

9. Ijebu king (Orimolusi) was the second Oba appointed by Colonial master for London Conference in 1957 to negotiate independence.

As for number one, they flew past Lagosians and landed in Ijebu, abi?
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by BabaRamota1980: 3:57am On Aug 16, 2018

Lagos people have territory in Epe. In fact there are two rulers, one Ijebu the other Lagos.

Ijebu this Ijebu that...Shut yor mouth!

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Christistruth00: 9:15pm On Aug 20, 2018
omofunaab:

The Owus ran out of their heavily fortified city about 1826. They escaped through their southeastern gate in groups and entered their assailant territories through Ijebu Igbo and spread southward, settling in places like Ikija, Omu, Ayepe and other places. However, the main body of Owu escapees went towards the new settlement of Ibadan

. It is important to state that the present Orile Owu is the same place as Owu Ipole, earlier referred to, where Owus from Iwo and other places resettled in the early 20th century.

The main body of escapees from Ibadan marched across Ogun river and finally arrived at Oke Ata near Abeokuta where Sodeke and other Egba leaders persuaded them to settle about 1834. Again, Owu fought side by side with Egba in the Makun and other wars against Ado Odo and Dahomey in 1842-45. Owu contingents fought and routed Awori at Itori, Yobo, Ifo, Atan, Ota and also occupied those places till today.

Yes, Owu people had fought wars, won battles and settled in very many places between the Niger river and the sea (Owus in Lagos State; Epe, etc.), yet their main stream had settled among the Egbas in Abeokuta BUT, THEY ARE NOT EGBAS, neither are they lJEBUS. (See Johnson’s “History of the Yorubas, p.18). Owu settlements in Ijebu and Abeokuta were not as a result of direct battles or victory over them, but mostly on friendly terms.

https://owulakoda./history-and

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by bluke(m): 4:54am On Oct 05, 2018
lawani:
I read somewhere that over 50,000 ibadan troops accompanied the British. Only Ilorin And Ijebu Restricted The British. The Ibadan were allies of the British Throughout as if to ratify the odu ose meji the conqueror that birthed ibadan. True To That Odu, Ibadan Has never been conquered in war.

they xtians
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by bluke(m): 7:27am On Oct 05, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Lagos people have territory in Epe. In fact there are two rulers, one Ijebu the other Lagos.

Ijebu this Ijebu that...Shut yor mouth!

after the oba of lagos was banished from the throne by the british, the elepe toko him in and all his followers.
that was where the epe eko and epe ijebu came about (1860-1862).
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Ayobami7(m): 11:31am On Nov 11, 2018
this is my comment
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Weedfree: 7:34pm On Jan 21, 2019
ijebu have fought the British on multiple occasions and have won,the only reason it was different was that the British came with other tribes

1 Like

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Konquest: 5:56am On Jan 22, 2019
OBAGADAFFI:
The British-Ijebu war of 1892 (The battle of Imagbon)

In 1891, the Ijebu tribe, dwelling between 50 and 60 miles north-east of Lagos on the Magbon river, set a blockade on the trade route from the interior into Lagos, which was a crown colony, and charged customs dues which served as their income. The Awujale, the traditional ruler of Ijebu, closed down the Ejirin market, cutting off Lagos from a source of up-country trade.

The British government persuaded the Awujale several times to open the blockaded route but the Ijebu ruler remained adamant. However, in May 1891, a British acting governor, Captain C.M Denton C.M.G, together with some Hausa troops (mostly slaves who fled the North to South and were recruited by the British army) went to Ijebu kingdom to make an agreement with the Awujale on opening the blockaded route and allowing the free passage of goods into Lagos. The Awujale refused but after much persuasion and pressure, the Awujale agreed in January 1892 on the terms of receiving £500 annually as compensation for the loss of custom revenue.

However, the agreement didn’t last long. A white missionary was denied access to pass through the kingdom and was sent back. The British government were provoked by the action of the Ijebus and authorized the use of force on the kingdom. Britain gathered troops from Gold Coast (Ghana), Sierra Leone, Ibadan, and Lagos (the Hausa troops nearly 150).

Battle of imagbon

Colonel F.C. Scott C.B was the commander of the troops of 450 men piled up by Britain. On the 12th of May, 1892, the captain and his men, including some carriers, sailed up the Lagos Lagoon and landed at Ekpe.
When they got to Leckie, another carriers about 186 in numbers were recruited.
On the Ijebu side, 8000 men with old rifles would be fighting the British. The British underestimated the fighting prowess of the Ijebus thus giving them some hard times in penetrating into the interiors of Ijebu kingdom. The first day, the British army razed down four villages with some of their men sustaining fatal injuries. The next day, they proceeded to Atumba and gunned down the Ijebus with machine guns. Britain lost 12 men which include a Briton and 12 Africans. Every Ijebu villages they came across was burnt to the ground. The Ijebus were really losing the battle but determined to prevent the British army from crossing the Yemoyi river. The goddess of the Yemoyi river was said to have taken human sacrifice in order to prevent the intruders (British) from crossing. The river was dug deeper by the Ijebus to make it impenetrable by all means for the British army. However, the British army managed to cross the sacred Yemoyi river and unleashed havoc on the Ijebus. They proceeded to the village of Imagbon.

The Ijebus had lost over 900 men while Britain lost only 56 men and have more than 30 wounded. The Ijebus were still determined to fight on but shortly afterwards, the Awujale surrendered and admitted losing the war.

The British union flag was later raised above Ijebu Ode. Captain Scot warned his men against pillaging which some didn’t heed to especially the Ibadan irregulars who were later deprived of their arms. The toll gates in Oru built by the Ijebus were destroyed and some of their shrines were also torched.

This bloody war is also known in history as the 1892 Ijebu Expedition.

The British troops were awarded The East & West Africa Medal with Clasp dated ‘1892’.
Today, one of these medals can be found in Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge. Ijebu kingdom was later annexed to the colony of southern Nigeria.

https://oldnaija.com/2015/11/04/the-british-ijebu-war-of-1892-the-battle-of-imagbon/

Great post!
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Konquest: 6:03am On Jan 22, 2019
omofunaab:

The Owus ran out of their heavily fortified city about 1826. They escaped through their southeastern gate in groups and entered their assailant territories through Ijebu Igbo and spread southward, settling in places like Ikija, Omu, Ayepe and other places. However, the main body of Owu escapees went towards the new settlement of Ibadan

. It is important to state that the present Orile Owu is the same place as Owu Ipole, earlier referred to, where Owus from Iwo and other places resettled in the early 20th century.

The main body of escapees from Ibadan marched across Ogun river and finally arrived at Oke Ata near Abeokuta where Sodeke and other Egba leaders persuaded them to settle about 1834. Again, Owu fought side by side with Egba in the Makun and other wars against Ado Odo and Dahomey in 1842-45. Owu contingents fought and routed Awori at Itori, Yobo, Ifo, Atan, Ota and also occupied those places till today.

Yes, Owu people had fought wars, won battles and settled in very many places between the Niger river and the sea (Owus in Lagos State; Epe, etc.), yet their main stream had settled among the Egbas in Abeokuta BUT, THEY ARE NOT EGBAS, neither are they lJEBUS. (See Johnson’s “History of the Yorubas, p.18). Owu settlements in Ijebu and Abeokuta were not as a result of direct battles or victory over them, but mostly on friendly terms.

https://owulakoda./history-and-migrations/

But they are referred to as Owu-Egba which means
they are now Egbas who are also a sub-group of
the Oyo.

1 Like

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Amujale(m): 3:46am On Jan 23, 2019
The global world is broken and needs fixing. The only thing on our planet that can come close enough to finding a cure for the entire global world’s problems is the spirituality according to an African.

That is to say, the narative has changed. There’s need for us to stop looking outwards for nothingingness. All the answers of the world’s problems are in our dormain one way or another.

You and I are the answer, collectively, it is our kind and territory that holds all the answers to the worlds problems.

There is no people(s) outside of Africa (Diaspora) that really wishes Africans any good, all they are really after are our minerals.

The best thing about our Great continent is widely considered her trickiest among her many great qualities; natural resources.

Our Great continent is the oldest and as a result, the richest on the planet.

Let’s re-write history for the sake of the coming generation. The ones we keep passing-the-buck to, they are going to need a good start, or a concept to develop.

Here’s is what’s proposed:

The African Dream.

What is the African dream?

The African dream is the narrative that stands on the assumption that the rest of the world is crazed with lust for materialistic things and has neglected what really matters, our relationship with (the African) God(s).

Furthermore, it’s us Africans that will eventually have to come to the rescue of the rest of the world.

In this scenario, all organised religions operating in the African continent will eventually lose out to this new way of thinking. A pan - African progressive narrate that anywhere in the world Africans can relate to, work towards and rally around.

The African Dream

P/s Great topic OP. These are type of topics we must engage. Let’s try to learn everything humanly possible about these past events.

The two main topics that one can get funding from me today at the drop of a hat:

.Global Warming

.Research African history, antropology, archaeology and earth sciences.

The African Dream
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by lawani: 7:21pm On Apr 19, 2019
Outofsync:

Sorry but egbon, you have not refuted any point he made.

What use is your military when they conquer you without a fight. And you then brag that your army has never lost a war!

At least the ijebus fought. Why did Ibadan, home of great warriors roll over without a fight undecided
Ibadan stood astride the Yoruba country like a collosus but civil war broke out and it was on for 16 years before Britain came to settle it. It was followed by a British peace and Ibadan saw no reason to oppose that.
Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Amujale(m): 1:16am On Apr 20, 2019
The Ijebu armies that fought in the battle of Imagbon are committed to spend the rest of their time in paradise. For me they are heroes forever.

Given the extensive knowledge i have on the specifics, our team of IT geeks ran countless mock battles and on the battlefield, the Ijebu forces wins 27.5% of the time.

There are numerous factors that amounted the underdog victory. On paper, the British are the underdog in that scenario.

Yes, on an equal plain field, the defending forces would likely always have the upperhand. However, war is never a fair game.

The enemy exploited the situation at the time, played people against themselves with the help of traitors and defections was what really won that battle.

Most of the internecine wars are infact known and exploited by the enemy, that is to say, they engaged in the tactics "divide and conquer".

If the enemy of those days finds a place that is engaged in feuds and conflicts, they sells guns to both sides and suddenly turn it into a full scale war. Then, once the smoke is cleared, one side has the upperhand or wins, the enemy presents itself as a brand new target.

Fresh, well slept, well fed and ready to fight.

Thats some of the sophisticated strategems the enemy of those days put to bare.

Given the many times we've run that specific battle simulation, i am convinced that on a plain field and that the given defending forces are at 100%, enemy will be bowled over by sheer numbers.

1 Like

Re: The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon) by Amujale(m): 2:28am On Apr 20, 2019
LordGuru1:
Yorubas should stop trying to dominate themselves, they should join hands...

Exactly, in the winning simulations, re-enforcements is crucial. According to our simulations, every time the Battle of Imagbon is won by the Ijebu forces, they always are in receipt of some form of unsolicited re-enforcement from within Yorubaland and then enemy is bowled over.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abdul-Rasheed Akanbi Appointed As Oluwo Of Iwo / Ooni Ogunwusi In Abuja For Youth Conference - Photos / Female Regents In Yoruba Land.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.