Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

The Only African At Winter Olympics! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Only African At Winter Olympics! (2496 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Only African At Winter Olympics! by FBS: 10:29am On Feb 04, 2010
Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong takes centre stage at the winter Olympics in Canada.

THERE'S not a lot of snow in Ghana. None in fact.
It's in the heart of sub-Saharan West Africa, for goodness sake.

So it's little surprise that, in a population of 24million, you can count the number of world-ranked Ghanaian skiers on the fingers of one, er, finger.

More surprising is the fact that Ghana's one-man ski team, Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong, is preparing to take on the world's best after qualifying for next week's Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Dubbed the Snow Leopard, the 35-year-old father-of-two only saw snow for the first time ten years ago - at Heathrow Airport - and stepped on to a snow-covered mountain for the first time just six years ago, in France.

He admits that being the first Ghanaian Winter Olympian - let alone being the first downhill skier - is an achievement.

He says: "I think it was like sending a Ghanaian to the moon. I feel great about competing and all my friends in Ghana think it is really cool. I'm very proud of my heritage and being a role model for other Africans and Ghanaians to follow their dream. Nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it."

He likens his story to that of the 1988 Jamaican Olympic bobsleigh team who competed in Calgary and inspired the hugely successful 1993 film Cool Runnings.

He says: "The Jamaican team did actually try hard to have very fast push-off times, really moving down the course.

"Not all the factors were right for them and they crashed, but if they hadn't, they would have done a really good time. So I love being compared to Cool Runnings."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2838302/Kwame-Nkrumah-Acheampong-Africas-skiing-star.html

----
I saw this guy on Eurosport and I was like. . .Mehnnn!!! I don my hat for him.
This is inspiring!!!
Re: The Only African At Winter Olympics! by JeSoul(f): 3:46pm On Feb 04, 2010
Yeah I caught this on TV too sometime ago and after I stopped laughing for about 5 mins grin, I was able to salute the guy. This is very brave and should be commended.

FBS maybe you sef should set the trend and become the first Nigerian skier at the olympics? grin
Re: The Only African At Winter Olympics! by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 04, 2010
haha

I've heard of the guy before now- he was supposed to be in one of the previous olympics too.

African skier

Jamaican bob sled team

what next.
Re: The Only African At Winter Olympics! by bawomolo(m): 8:46pm On Feb 04, 2010
the next thing na african eskimo.
we are getting there.
Re: The Only African At Winter Olympics! by Nobody: 3:02am On Feb 05, 2010
just saw another one. First black speed skater- Shani Davis, of Chicago

he won the gold at the 2006 winter olympics
Re: The Only African At Winter Olympics! by Nobody: 3:06am On Feb 05, 2010
Surya Bonaly- professional figure skater

Re: The Only African At Winter Olympics! by FBS: 1:17pm On Feb 05, 2010
You know initially, we were not meant/allowed to play golf. . .but guess who the best golfer is today?

Very soon we will take over swimming, skiing, hockey etc. . .just watch and see.

@JeSoul, lol. . . Don't be surprised to see  my name as the first Nigeria/African to do something spectacular.
Re: The Only African At Winter Olympics! by chic2pimp(m): 5:18pm On Feb 05, 2010
tpia.:

just saw another one. First black speed skater- Shani Davis, of Chicago

he won the gold at the 2006 winter olympics

Nah Shani Davis is a big name in winter olympics sport.
Re: The Only African At Winter Olympics! by JeSoul(f): 5:29pm On Feb 05, 2010
Its one thing for an African-american who grew up here and had exposure to it and all the opportunities and facilities to train . . .

quite another for a hardcore Ghanian who arrived only 10 yrs ago, picked it up at 25yrs old to be participating at a competitive level.

Oya which of you Nigerians here is going to represent us? grin FBS has already hinted it won't be him on the slopes anytime soon

(1) (Reply)

The World's Most Corrupt Football League - Iamdmentor1 / Goldbetz / 19-year Old Super Eagles’ Goalkeeper Celebrates Son’s 17th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.