Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,106 members, 7,814,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). (51688 Views)

Best Man Role By Female Friends At Weddings Sparks Reactions Among FCT Residents / Will One Million Naira Be Enough For Both Traditional And White Weddings? / Watch This Nairalander MC The Weddings Of Nairalanders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 18, 2017
Number 7 death was kinda dumb. RIP to them sha
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Explorers(m): 10:30am On Jul 18, 2017
10. The newly wedded couple with their friends, maids that died in a tanker explosion, one of the worst ever multi-vehicle accidents, killing between 100 and 200 people near Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria, November, 2000.

The accident occurred outside Ibadan, on a stretch of motorway connecting Ibadan and Ife in Osun State to the East, about 250 km north of Lagos.

Nigeria suffers heavy traffic circulation problems, and this day was no exception, with a large traffic jam covering all lanes of the road and numerous pedestrians weaving in between them including the the new couple.

A large petrol tanker, carrying fuel was travelling on the same road at high speed, when it suddenly encountered the traffic jam and attempted to come to a halt.

At this point, the poorly maintained vehicle suffered a total brake failure, and ploughed straight into the queue of cars ahead including the motorcade of the newly wedded couple.

The numbers killed in the initial collision were probably high, but they will never be known, because the tanker, which had finally come to rest on its side had begun to leak its highly flammable load onto the roadway.

Within seconds, this trail was alight, and the tanker disappeared in an enormous fireball, which rose above the city and devastated a wide area around the accident scene.

Those still in their cars were trapped in the crash wreckage and burnt alive.

Those who tried to escape were also burnt till they fell, those standing too close were immolated instantly, while those further away were burnt to death or hit by flying shrapnel from the blast.

Burning wreckage caused several small fires in nearby suburbs.

The police and other rescue services did not offer any assistance until some time after the blast, and so numerous bodies were removed by relatives or volunteer rescuers and privately buried, whilst others were simply vapourised in the initial explosion or cremated in the fire that followed.

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

3 Shares

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Nickymezor(f): 10:46am On Jul 18, 2017
Really terrible cry
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by oz4real83(m): 10:50am On Jul 18, 2017
Only smart people follow explorer. Tired of reading yeyebrities fights, ''Nigerians react to '' and snake on front page. We want more of explorer's thread on front page. Welldone explorer. Great thread once again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Annibiteye: 11:04am On Jul 18, 2017
Sorrowful events that greatly touches the heart. Explorers your next post should be the one that'll get one elated. I commend your relentless online surfing. Keep it up!

1 Like

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Larryfest(m): 12:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
This is an amazing research work........
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Nimi22(f): 12:22pm On Jul 18, 2017
The Nigerian own did really touch me. That's a very terrible way to die, not even on your wedding day. Hmmm
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by introvertious: 12:38pm On Jul 18, 2017
XPLORERS........... I love ur work
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Ginaz(f): 1:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
cry cry
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by longjohnsilver: 1:39pm On Jul 18, 2017
Explorers:
10. The newly wedded couple with their friends, maids that died in a tanker explosion, one of the worst ever multi-vehicle accidents, killing between 100 and 200 people near Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria, November, 2000.

The accident occurred outside Ibadan, on a stretch of motorway connecting Ibadan and Ife in Osun State to the East, about 250 km north of Lagos.

Nigeria suffers heavy traffic circulation problems, and this day was no exception, with a large traffic jam covering all lanes of the road and numerous pedestrians weaving in between them including the the new couple.

A large petrol tanker, carrying fuel was travelling on the same road at high speed, when it suddenly encountered the traffic jam and attempted to come to a halt.

At this point, the poorly maintained vehicle suffered a total brake failure, and ploughed straight into the queue of cars ahead including the motorcade of the newly wedded couple.

The numbers killed in the initial collision were probably high, but they will never be known, because the tanker, which had finally come to rest on its side had begun to leak its highly flammable load onto the roadway.

Within seconds, this trail was alight, and the tanker disappeared in an enormous fireball, which rose above the city and devastated a wide area around the accident scene.

Those who tried to escape were also burnt till they fell, those standing too close were immolated instantly, while those further away were burnt to death or hit by flying shrapnel from the blast.

The police and other rescue services did not offer any assistance until some time after the blast, and so numerous bodies were removed by relatives or volunteer rescuers and privately buried, whilst others were simply vapourised in the initial explosion or cremated in the fire that followed.

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

I remember this car crash...it was November 4, 2000 or so.

It was at the toll gate at the Ife end of the Ibadan-Ife expressway

I was saved from encountering the accident by God that used my uncle to delay my trip that fateful day, because the accident reportedly happened few hours after i left the garage and went back home.

Sometimes in this life sef, if your time is not up...nothing can touch you.

I saw wreckages the next day i eventually travelled...damn it was gory!!!

13 Likes

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by whizzyleejr(m): 1:51pm On Jul 18, 2017
God don't let sadness attack joy in anyway of my life

2 Likes

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by peaceway(m): 1:53pm On Jul 18, 2017
mizmia:
So sad. If it were to be in nollywood movies, Chinwetalu Agu would be the suspect.

As if you know
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by policy12: 1:57pm On Jul 18, 2017
Y be say na naija own come worst pass..
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 18, 2017
Explora abeg i fit marry that your younger sister ?

Abeg epp me.

I wan carry her come anambra
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by missyadorable(f): 2:01pm On Jul 18, 2017
the rich also cry
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by sod09(m): 2:04pm On Jul 18, 2017
wat the one pablo escobar did killing about 20 pple in a wedding
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by pBuhari(f): 2:06pm On Jul 18, 2017
so sad

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Candour(m): 2:17pm On Jul 18, 2017
Explorers:

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Can't ever forget this day and incident. NOVEMBER 4TH 2000. A VERY CRUEL SATURDAY cry cry

Also, the accident was caused by greedy policemen who stopped vehicles to collect roja at the unfinished Ile-Ife toll gate knowing fully well that a very sharp bend was the approach to the toll gate.

It was indeed a sad sight of FRSC pickups moving the burnt bodies to teaching hospital. Of course OAU students burnt the policemen's station wagon in anger but the officers had escaped by then

3 Likes

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Candour(m): 2:20pm On Jul 18, 2017
longjohnsilver:

I remember this car crash...it was December 2, 2000 or so.

It was at the toll gate at the Ife end of the Ibadan-Ife expressway

I was saved from encountering the accident by God that used my uncle to delay my trip that fateful day, because the accident reportedly happened few hours after i left the garage and went back home.

Sometimes in this life sef, if your time is not up...nothing can touch you.

I saw wreckages the next day i eventually travelled...damn it was gory.

November 4th 2000 actually

1 Like

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by iamrealdeji(m): 2:22pm On Jul 18, 2017
lofty900:
Reminds me of Sadam Hussain's son, Udey Hussain who slept with a bride in her wedding dress, on her wedding day. The bride committed suicide immediately after by jumping off the top of the building. Her groom later avenged her death by plotting the assassination of Udey Hussain which caused him to remain paralyzed till he was finally killed by American forces
pls tell me pls. did he rape the bride? Uday is very notorious

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by misspineapple(f): 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
Speechless... cry cry cry cry cry
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by pellucid(m): 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
eternity awaits all
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by AntiWailer: 2:28pm On Jul 18, 2017
Add

APC and PDP Armed Robbers like (Saraki, Dino etc)

to the list.
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by figure007(m): 2:31pm On Jul 18, 2017
daewoorazer:
I don't believe in superstars......
don Williams

1 Like

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by lemon111(m): 2:35pm On Jul 18, 2017
Nawao
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Haryoryhemie(f): 2:37pm On Jul 18, 2017
Homeboiy:
give nigeria version of the tragedy

Nigeria version is when jollof rice and soverniers no go round
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by adegwurulez(m): 2:38pm On Jul 18, 2017
11. The Red Wedding: Robb stark, his new bride, his mother and his soldiers were slaughtered by the freis.

Don't worry Robb, The North remembers.

Arya has avenged your death...

4 Likes

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by kokomilala(m): 2:43pm On Jul 18, 2017
Very heartrending to be moderate.The gory details would quickly send one to bed.
What this collective shows is that the devil is the mastermind of evil in this world.And only those under the shadow of God are secure.

1 Like

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by Funkybabee(f): 2:44pm On Jul 18, 2017
God forbid bad thing to happen on our joyous day ooo

Amen in Jesus name

2 Likes

Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by rchilee: 2:45pm On Jul 18, 2017
I remember the Ibadan/Ife toll gate incident
Re: 10 Weddings That Ended In Tragedy Around The World(Photos). by juwoonn(m): 2:47pm On Jul 18, 2017
Olorun sanu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Event Planners Print Their Own Money To Be Sprayed At Parties / Man Marries His Down Syndrome Girlfriend & Pics Go Viral / Mahmud, Son Of Sani Abacha Weds In Style!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.