Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,844 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages (17900 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Opinionated: 12:29pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nigeria has three major languages namely Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa. The thing is not a large number of people can communicate in these three languages. This is perhaps because English is our main lingua franca. There are so many benefits of speaking these three languages. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares these benefits. It is, noteworthy, to say that even though we are encouraging Nigerians to speak these three languages, more and more citizens are moving away from even communicating in their own mother tongue.

You will have more job opportunities

There are certain jobs you can not apply for if you cannot speak these three languages. And you know that these jobs come with fantastic salaries and bonuses. For example, you cannot work for BBC Hausa, if you cannot speak Hausa whether you are a veteran broadcaster or not.

Improve your competitiveness

Speaking a second or third traditional language makes your curriculum vitae stand out and can boost you to the top of the interview list with potential employers. You are very competitive.

Can earn more money

The financial returns of learning an extra Nigerian language can help you earn more money. You can freelance as a translator thus making more quids on the side.

Get to try on different personalities

You cannot be pigeonholed if you speak these languages. Hence, You can easily shift from one personality to another depending on which language you and your friends are speaking. You will have an all-rounded personality.

Opens up social and cultural opportunities

Speaking another language allows you to interact with different people and understand the perks of other cultures. This means that you have better chances to make friends, explore different ways of life and be able to blend with different lifestyles.

Improves problem-solving

Being multilingual in traditional languages can improve your brain functions like the ability to focus attention and perform mental tasks. Thus, people who speak more than one Nigerian language can process information more efficiently.

Help keeps you safe

Have you been in a dangerous situation in which you do not speak the same language with the people involved? Well, persons who are multilingual do not need to worry because their ability to speak and understand whatever they are saying can save you. However, do not be too hasty to respond because this can also be fatal.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/7-benefits-speaking-nigerias-three-major-languages/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by TINALETC3(f): 1:15pm On Jul 19, 2017
Very important, I had d opportunity to speak d 3 bt I dnt no Wat jst happened , I ws born in kaduna, I spark grin Hausa well, bt left dere at age 4 ,na so I take 4get am, now I dey Yoruba land, na only dia insultive words I sabi grin
Ftcccccccccccccc
I made it

9 Likes

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 19, 2017
Opinionated:

Can earn more money

The financial returns of learning an extra Nigerian language can help you earn more money. You can freelance as a translator thus making more quids on the side.

cool

1 Like

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by fernandez1(m): 1:15pm On Jul 19, 2017
Isokay
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by duroc(m): 1:15pm On Jul 19, 2017
Story for the gods

1 Like

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by emmanude(m): 1:16pm On Jul 19, 2017
I concur

1 Like

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by vizkiz: 1:16pm On Jul 19, 2017
It helps keep you safe.

Most important point so far. Lol

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by robosky02(m): 1:16pm On Jul 19, 2017
lobbish nonsense

then where is

orobo language?

itsejiri language?

annong language?

ikom language?

kalabari language?

ikwerre language?

kanuri language?

6 Likes

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 19, 2017
8. It says alot bout you: It sends an automatic message to the tribes that you don't despise them and all that. Adding to that, the fact that people would see u as someone always ready to learn and that.

9. A better knowledge of Nigeria and most of her people: One who had the time to learn all these major languages must have lived with them(not all the time though) to know everything about them. You get to know how they reason things and all that.

10. More eligible and suitable for public posts, especially the presidential post: After learning all these languages and rolling with their people, one's eyes would be open to the uniqueness of the world and that religion, tribe and other differences are nothing but obstacles that could be managed. By then, the tribalism factor would be ridden off u.

9 Likes

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by preccy69(f): 1:17pm On Jul 19, 2017
I can speak two very well, Yoruba small small

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 19, 2017
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nowenuse: 1:17pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nonsense! 3 major languages my foot.
More like 3 major ethnic groups that have spoilt Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by tosyne2much(m): 1:17pm On Jul 19, 2017
Unfortunately, I'm in a country where people regard you as a bush man if you can speak your own native language flawlessly and fluently more than a borrowed language undecided

23 Likes

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Agimor(m): 1:17pm On Jul 19, 2017
Watch out for the benefits of speaking Waffy Pidgin...
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by HQuadreal: 1:18pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nice one.
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by thickminaj(f): 1:18pm On Jul 19, 2017
. smiley. Nice one op.. Very insightful... The only benefit I hv so far is buying onion at a cheaper price from aboki undecided

2 Likes

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by femi4: 1:18pm On Jul 19, 2017
8. Have spouses of different tribes
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 19, 2017
This is a very rubbish list,

Why waste my time on silly Nigeria languanges that'd soon go extinct. Not low self esteem! But simple common sense.
Can earn more money

You talk as if you are not nigerian. Earn more money ke? Where the translator job? Why do kids runaway from majoring in nigeria languages in the university?

The next US slave ship that comes to nigeria, i'm entering it. Stupid country with evil politicians

4 Likes

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 19, 2017
IT DOSEN'T STOP AREWA YOUTH FROM ISSUING QUIT NOTICE TO BIAFRANS

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by datimogal(f): 1:19pm On Jul 19, 2017
well said
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Threebear(m): 1:19pm On Jul 19, 2017
grin
All the points you made sound daft and lame .
How does speaking three major languages help our country, when countries with just one key language are far ahead of us in development and technological advancement.
If not for anything, all these languages have lead to conflict, strife and agitation ,the lack of oneness and favoritism to one's tribe and people is the main issue stalling our development.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Samexdx(m): 1:19pm On Jul 19, 2017
I wanna learn igbo and hausa
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Chiccly(f): 1:19pm On Jul 19, 2017
You buy things cheaper in the market.

You easily blend.

You cant be deceived .

You are very versatile.

Add your own abeg... tongue

4 Likes

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Husty(m): 1:19pm On Jul 19, 2017
What about speaking in tongues?
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by okonja(m): 1:19pm On Jul 19, 2017
English - Advanced cool
Yoruba - Native
Hausa - Intermediate
Kanuri - Beginner (Fajara gana gana mbe) cool

All thanks to UNIMAID cool

2 Likes

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by ekensi01: 1:20pm On Jul 19, 2017
Me e remain only yoruba.

When i enter school for Lagos may be i go learn am by Gods grace.

Op how i go carry am make money?
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Agimor(m): 1:21pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nowenuse:
Nonsense! 3 major languages my foot.
More like 3 major ethnic groups that have spoilt Nigeria.
Take an easy bro...
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Olaola25: 1:21pm On Jul 19, 2017
Good
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by dfrost: 1:21pm On Jul 19, 2017
wink
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by olowobaba10: 1:23pm On Jul 19, 2017
SPEAKING THESE LANGUAGES CANNOT HELP YOU IN THIS COUNTRY , IT MAY RATHER PUT YOU INTO MORE PROBLEM, A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SO PREJUDICED
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by senatordave1(m): 1:23pm On Jul 19, 2017
Yes,apart from english,efik and ubaghara my native language,i have learnt how to speak ibo while doing my youth service at anambra.ibo is the sweetest among the three but speaking hausa is more advantageous.i think the 3 languages should also be made official languages.most countries in africa do not have just one official language.even in south africa,xhosa and zulu are official languages.lets follow suit

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo Denied Rumour Of Not Allowed Into Vip Area At Eagles Square / The Black Race Is A Disgrace And Curse To Humanity.. / Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.