Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change (9962 Views)

Pls Your Advise Is Needed As Regards 2008 Camry V4 / .... The Power Of Mobil 1 Extended Performance After 12k miles oil change / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 7:11am On May 10, 2018
seunoresco:
Bro still waiting for your advise. Thx

Will revert
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by NobleEngineer(m): 8:43am On May 10, 2018
Hello guys, I have a Car whose engine is very prone to oil shortening. Corrolla 2000. The prescribed oil is 5w30. The original owner I bought the Car from doesn't know the grade of oil his mechanic uses. He said he used to give the mechanic money "take my car go and change the oil n filter"... Now I just bought the car from the owner and its going to be the first service i will do on the car. Which oil should I buy cos what if the mechanic has been putting 20w50 or any other wrong oil....pls advice me.
I was told this particular engine is not tolerant at all with wrong oils. 155k miles

I got the mechanic's contact and spoke with him on phone.. He said he used to put total oil, i asked again which total oil? He said " total oil na" any total quartz 5000 just put am e go work....i put hand for head

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 2:03pm On May 10, 2018
seunoresco:
@AutoE.lectNG bro. thanks for responses, though i have been using lubex 5w-30 oil, u think i should stick with it? or is there a better brand 5w-30 for my 2001 mazda millenia as it have over 200,000+ miles on it already (High mileage engine). Thanks

http://lubex.com.tr/en-us/quality-certificates.htm

Mention is made of OEM certifications but none is listed

Is there an API seal on the jug?

Post pictures
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by Gshakiru(m): 2:34pm On May 10, 2018
Has anyone heard of the new engine oil from Forte Oil? It's called Texaco Havoline, how good is it? I wanted to upload the photo but cannot do that now.
CC Gazzuzz, Sooperrescue, AutoElectNG.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 2:44pm On May 10, 2018
Gshakiru:
Has anyone heard of the new engine oil from Forte Oil? It's called Texaco Havoline, how good is it? I wanted to upload the photo but cannot do that now.
CC Gazzuz.z, Sooperres.cue, AutoE.lectNG.

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 6:05pm On May 10, 2018
seunoresco:
@AutoElectNG bro. thanks for responses, though i have been using lubex 5w-30 oil, u think i should stick with it? or is there a better brand 5w-30 for my 2001 mazda millenia as it have over 200,000+ miles on it already (High mileage engine). Thanks

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 6:11pm On May 10, 2018
seunoresco:
@AutoElectNG bro. thanks for responses, though i have been using lubex 5w-30 oil, u think i should stick with it? or is there a better brand 5w-30 for my 2001 mazda millenia as it have over 200,000+ miles on it already (High mileage engine). Thanks

I have the Extended Performance, the Advanced Full Synthetic and the High Mileage oils on sale

https://www.nairaland.com/4477823/us-spec-5-qt-mobil

Provided you stay within manufacturer specifications, you could also use other certified oils such as Mannol which I also have in stock.

See its specifications:

Mannol Energy Combi LL 5W-30 API SN/CF
Motor oils for cars and transporters > Low viscosity engine oils

Corresponds with requirements / specifications / products:
SAE 5W-30
API SN/CF
ACEA C3
BMW Longlife-04
MB 229.51
PORSCHE C30
VW 504.00/507.00/502.00/505.00/503.01/506.00/
VW 505.01*/506.01**

Mannol Energy Combi LL is a multigrade synthetic engine oil for modern petrol and turbo diesel engines with pump-injector units as well with or without diesel particulate filters (DPF, FAP). Provides high pump ability at cold cranking. Has optimal viscosity at wide-ranging temperatures. Effectively prevents from wear-out and provides extreme cleanliness of the engine components. Used in engines with prolonged oil-change intervals (Long Life) and without it.

*Except VW PDU engines without LongLife Service (WIV)
**Except V10 PDU engines in Phaeton until February 2006 and R5 PDU engines in Touareg until December 2006

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by dru23(m): 8:35pm On May 10, 2018
Gshakiru:
CC Gazzuzz, Sooperrescue, AutoElectNG.
We won't take chances with any oil destine for Nigerian market.. Quality control is not fully enforce...

USA Castrol spec full synethic 5w 30 @13500k compare to Onado or others for 14500k .. Mobil oil full synethic USA spec 5w 30 @ 15500k compare prices to Nigerian ones and others

CHOOSE WISELY: be on the look out May ending, limited quanity.

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 8:42pm On May 10, 2018
NobleEngineer:
Hello guys, I have a Car whose engine is very prone to oil shortening. Corrolla 2000. The prescribed oil is 5w30. The original owner I bought the Car from doesn't know the grade of oil his mechanic uses. He said he used to give the mechanic money "take my car go and change the oil n filter"... Now I just bought the car from the owner and its going to be the first service i will do on the car. Which oil should I buy cos what if the mechanic has been putting 20w50 or any other wrong oil....pls advice me.
I was told this particular engine is not tolerant at all with wrong oils. 155k miles

I got the mechanic's contact and spoke with him on phone.. He said he used to put total oil, i asked again which total oil? He said " total oil na" any total quartz 5000 just put am e go work....i put hand for head

Very true...your vehicle and indeed all vehicles using the same engine suffer from this debilitating problem.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Corolla/2000/engine/engine_uses_excessive_oil.shtml

The solution is not to buy a tokunbo engine - because all those engines (or nearly all those engines) are faulty.

Two solutions:

1. Keep checking and topping oil religiously, not every 500 miles but at every fuel top up, or if you are paranoid every morning.

2. Rebuild the engine

My Recommended solution: rebuild the engine

There may be a third solution - how ethical it is depends on who is at the receiving end of it - dispose the vehicle - your vehicle, your call.

Should you use 20W50?

It depends on who you ask.

Here is my take on the matter: It will mask the problem, but not solve it - there is a word for it, yea I remember, a band-aid like someone who has ulcer taking panadol, does it eliminate the problem? No! Does it make it seem that the problem has gone away? yea!

This thread explains why 20W50 is a bad idea: http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/1998-2002-corolla-excessive-oil-consumption-issues.2471/. You may ignore the references to AMSOIL.

How bad is your oil consumption?

1 qt. per 250 miles?
1 qt. per 500 miles?
1 qt. per 750 miles?

1.5 qt. per 500 to 750 miles?

2.0 qt. per 500 to 750 miles?

We need raw data to tell you exactly what is wrong? And how bad things are?

Do you a lot of highway driving(high speed drives) or city trips (slow speed drives)?

I am going to go against the grain of conventional advice on nairaland...use 5w30 but monitor religiously your oil consumption, you have got an oil burner on your hands.

If you have detailed statistics on the situation, my advice will change from being generic to specific to your exact circumstances.

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 8:42pm On May 10, 2018
NobleEngineer:

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by NobleEngineer(m): 8:45am On May 11, 2018
After like 2000 miles, the oil level on the deep stick now is almost on the low mark of the deep stick. I've never topped the oil up. I just dey observe as the oil dey go down...and I hav not travelled wit the car yet, just city drive.
AutoElectNG:

Very true...your vehicle and indeed all vehicles using the same engine suffer from this debilitating problem.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Corolla/2000/engine/engine_uses_excessive_oil.shtml

The solution is not to buy a tokunbo engine - because all those engines (or nearly all those engines) are faulty.

Two solutions:

1. Keep checking and topping oil religiously, not every 500 miles but at every fuel top up, or if you are paranoid every morning.

2. Rebuild the engine

My Recommended solution: rebuild the engine

There may be a third solution - how ethical it is depends on who is at the receiving end of it - dispose the vehicle - your vehicle, your call.

Should you use 20W50?

It depends on who you ask.

Here is my take on the matter: It will mask the problem, but not solve it - there is a word for it, yea I remember, a band-aid like someone who has ulcer taking panadol, does it eliminate the problem? No! Does it make it seem that the problem has gone away? yea!

This thread explains why 20W50 is a bad idea: http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/1998-2002-corolla-excessive-oil-consumption-issues.2471/. You may ignore the references to AMSOIL.

How bad is your oil consumption?

1 qt. per 250 miles?
1 qt. per 500 miles?
1 qt. per 750 miles?

1.5 qt. per 500 to 750 miles?

2.0 qt. per 500 to 750 miles?

We need raw data to tell you exactly what is wrong? And how bad things are?

Do you a lot of highway driving(high speed drives) or city trips (slow speed drives)?

I am going to go against the grain of conventional advice on nairaland...use 5w30 but monitor religiously your oil consumption, you have got an oil burner on your hands.

If you have detailed statistics on the situation, my advice will change from being generic to specific to your exact circumstances.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 9:11am On May 11, 2018
NobleEngineer:
After like 2000 miles, the oil level on the deep stick now is almost on the low mark of the deep stick. I've never topped the oil up. I just dey observe as the oil dey go down...and I hav not travelled wit the car yet, just city drive.

Extremely low engine oil and engine wear work hand in hand.

Ever wonder why engines that short oil tend to knock while being driven at high speed long distance on expressways?

Wait, there is more!

Engine oil does more that just lubrication.

Engine oil plays a big role in keeping your engine cool.

A greater but complimentary role than coolant.

Top your engine oil but monitor consumption and keep statistics so we know exactly what solution your problem deserves.

Otherwise you are going to replace the engine sooner than you think.

And you are going to wonder why you ever got that corolla.

I asked highway or town trips because most users report that it does not short oil in the city but on the express. Others report that once you drive at sustained speeds above 100km they begin to notice oil consumption.

On another thread you are asking for the price if that engine.

My advice: unless you can certify that the engine has been rebuilt to resolve the factory error of too tiny piston ring oil return holes that tend to clog a problem that resolved in the 2003 model, find a good course to donate that money to, it will make you feel better than the rigmarole you are about to enter.

Whatever you were told is immaterial, now you know why the former owner got ride of the vehicle.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by NobleEngineer(m): 1:01pm On May 11, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Thanks man...mind made up..to dispose the vehicle.
Extremely low engine oil and engine wear work hand in hand.

Ever wonder why engines that short oil tend to knock while being driven at high speed long distance on expressways?

Wait, there is more!

Engine oil does more that just lubrication.

Engine oil plays a big role in keeping your engine cool.

A greater but complimentary role than coolant.

Top your engine oil but monitor consumption and keep statistics so we know exactly what solution your problem deserves.

Otherwise you are going to replace the engine sooner than you think.

And you are going to wonder why you ever got that corolla.

I asked highway or town trips because most users report that it does not short oil in the city but on the express. Others report that once you drive at sustained speeds above 100km they begin to notice oil consumption.

On another thread you are asking for the price if that engine.

My advice: unless you can certify that the engine has been rebuilt to resolve the factory error of too tiny piston ring oil return holes that tend to clog a problem that resolved in the 2003 model, find a good course to donate that money to, it will make you feel better than the rigmarole you are about to enter.

Whatever you were told is immaterial, now you know why the former owner got ride of the vehicle.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 2:37pm On May 11, 2018
[quote author=NobleEngineer post=67469793][/quote]

Happy to be useful.

Happy to have saved you from expense.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by sooperrescue(m): 6:54am On May 16, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Happy to be useful.

Happy to have saved you from expense.

Bros, you keep saying 5w30. Please emphasis should be on the brand. All those naija, turkish and korean oil are 5w30. Even Malaysia has abandoned palm oil and they are now into engine oil.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 9:15am On May 16, 2018
sooperrescue:

Bros, you keep saying 5w30. Please emphasis should be on the brand. All those naija, turkish and korean oil are 5w30. Even Malaysia has abandoned palm oil and they are now into engine oil.

I have recommended Mobil 1; I have recommended Mannol both are API certified.

I have advised against Lubex.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by sooperrescue(m): 11:41am On May 16, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Do you havr mannol atf hp 6 for audi a6c6
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 12:36pm On May 16, 2018
sooperrescue:

Do you havr mannol atf hp 6 for audi a6c6

23,000 plus 2,000 waybill
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by sooperrescue(m): 1:18pm On May 16, 2018
Send me your numba
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by AutoElectNG: 1:26pm On May 16, 2018
sooperrescue:
Send me your numba

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by Jazzlite: 1:39pm On May 16, 2018
AutoElectNG:

WhatsApp //234//706//349//3400
Noted.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by ojeysky(m): 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Oh so Lubex is not a good synthetic oil? i have been using it since last year but i could not find it this time around so i went for mobile 1 high millage. Does it mean it is now that i have just started using good 5W-30 Synthetic oil? and the previous Lubex does not count
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by jossytech(m): 1:35pm On Dec 19, 2018
timifakay:
Just continue with your 20w50. You risk pushing out all the built up sludge in the engine if you change to 5w20 at this stage. This will lead to a smokey engine and oil shortage.

Only God where this theory came from, not practical and pure lies, its like saying coz u have been drinking garri, if start taken milk and pure honey you will die, haba Nigerians, i had to call toyota and mobil oil when i first heard this, d man on the phone said where did my mech got this theory from, i was so embarrass when i tell him its nigeria mechanic, he said sorry, they dont even know the foundation of the engine how did good oil cause engine to smoke, please stop misguiding ppls with this abeg, its not practical
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by timifakay(m): 6:11pm On Dec 19, 2018
jossytech:

Only God where this theory came from, not practical and pure lies, its like saying coz u have been drinking garri, if start taken milk and pure honey you will die, haba Nigerians, i had to call toyota and mobil oil when i first heard this, d man on the phone said where did my mech got this theory from, i was so embarrass when i tell him its nigeria mechanic, he said sorry, they dont even know the foundation of the engine how did good oil cause engine to smoke, please stop misguiding ppls with this abeg, its not practical

Did you read to understand or to reply?

If you really wanna prove me wrong buy a car and experiment with it...
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by jossytech(m): 8:13pm On Dec 19, 2018
timifakay:

Did you read to understand or to reply?

If you really wanna prove me wrong buy a car and experiment with it...

My brother I use Camry n corrola. 98 candy 03 corrola. I did this. Camry was bought in naija used corrola imported. No such thing as u claim oga abeg. I give my wife d camry I'm using corrola so park well
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by timifakay(m): 5:57am On Dec 20, 2018
jossytech:

My brother I use Camry n corrola. 98 candy 03 corrola. I did this. Camry was bought in naija used corrola imported. No such thing as u claim oga abeg. I give my wife d camry I'm using corrola so park well

Congratulations. Now run along...
When you know what risk means come back.
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by oa1eng: 4:22pm On Jan 11, 2019
LUBEX OIL ( new parkageing )

5w30 1 lit N2500
5w30 4 lit N8500
5w30 5 lit N11000
5w20 5 lit N10500
0w40 4 lit N10000
DOT 4 N800 ( brake fluid )

ojeysky:

Oh so Lubex is not a good synthetic oil? i have been using it since last year but i could not find it this time around so i went for mobile 1 high millage. Does it mean it is now that i have just started using good 5W-30 Synthetic oil? and the previous Lubex does not count

Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by ojeysky(m): 11:30am On Jan 23, 2019
oa1eng:
LUBEX OIL ( new parkageing )

5w30 1 lit N2500
5w30 4 lit N8500
5w30 5 lit N11000
5w20 5 lit N10500
0w40 4 lit N10000
DOT 4 N800 ( brake fluid )

Bros you never talk whether lubex is full synthetic or not o
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by bulbutcher(m): 11:58am On May 09, 2019
AutoElectNG:

http://lubex.com.tr/en-us/quality-certificates.htm

Mention is made of OEM certifications but none is listed

Is there an API seal on the jug?

Post pictures
try AMSOIL
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by bulbutcher(m): 12:00pm On May 09, 2019
NobleEngineer:

try AMSOIL
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by bulbutcher(m): 12:56pm On Dec 14, 2019
i need info abt amsoil ismit true it can go 50k km shocked
Re: Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change by bulbutcher(m): 12:59pm On Dec 14, 2019
pls anbody with info abt ams oil
50k km is it true

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lamborghini Builds 10,000th Huracan After 4yrs.Details Of Its Successor Revealed / Compare Which Is Better & Rugged Between Sienna 04/05 And Acura MDX 05/06 / Camry Big Daddy Or Peuguot 406

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.