Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,286 members, 7,954,142 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:58 PM

Brighter Grammar - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Brighter Grammar (7842 Views)

11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' / English Grammar / Grammar Nazi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brighter Grammar by illusion2: 4:37pm On May 26, 2010
smiley
Re: Brighter Grammar by dominique(f): 12:35pm On May 28, 2010
what happened to all the replies on this page undecided
Re: Brighter Grammar by AzukaO(m): 1:33pm On May 28, 2010
Azuka.O:

Which is correct?

A. My house is in a shamble.

B. My house is in a shambles.

C. My house is in shambles.

The most appropriate is B. "Shambles" means "mess" either as a situation of confusion or a place which is dirty or untidy. Though it ends with an 's', "shambles" is a singular noun. Whenever it is used, it must be used with 'a' - i.e. a shambles

Examples: My job interview was a shambles.
                 What a shambles!
                 Our education is in a shambles.

Note: Just as it is wrong to say: "My house is in mess," so also is it wrong to say: "My house is in shambles."
Re: Brighter Grammar by illusion2: 7:29pm On May 28, 2010
^^^ Nice one . . . tho' we're used to using 'shambles' without 'a' in naija.
Re: Brighter Grammar by AzukaO(m): 11:13am On May 29, 2010
Which one is correct and why?

1. This is between you and I.

2. This is between you and me.
Re: Brighter Grammar by illusion2: 8:40pm On May 29, 2010
'You & I' wink
Re: Brighter Grammar by Nobody: 12:23am On May 30, 2010
you and I thats simple cheesy abi it is wrong again undecided
Re: Brighter Grammar by AzukaO(m): 8:14am On May 30, 2010
Let me give you a clue:

"You and I" means "we"
"You and me" means "us"

So which one is correct?

1. This is between we.

2. This is between us.
Re: Brighter Grammar by Nobody: 8:17am On May 30, 2010
obviously 2 cheesy or am I wrong?
Re: Brighter Grammar by maclatunji: 3:06pm On Jun 04, 2010
You and I is correct.

How about this one:

1. Please turn down the volume on your radio set.

2. Please turn down the volume of your radio set.
Re: Brighter Grammar by AzukaO(m): 4:24pm On Jun 04, 2010
Azuka.O:

Which one is correct and why?

1. This is between you and I.

2. This is between you and me.

Please take some time to read this. It is very important and may help you in life.

The CORRECT answer is: This is between you and me.

I am sorry but "between you and I" is terrible English one can only hear or see in the modern Nigerian media (TV, films, newspapers etc), books and discussions. You can't see it in any non-Nigerian book or newspaper, or hear it in foreign movies. And our old writers, broadcasters or actors never had such a problem; not even those who only had a secondary school certificate. (Mind you: I am not old school).

I said above that: "You and I" means "we", while "you and me" means "us". Can you say: "This is between we"? So you can't say, "This is between you and I."

Any time you are confused whether to use "you and me" or "you and I", simply substitute with "WE" or "US". If "we" sounds right, then it's "you and I" but if "us" sounds right, then it's "you and me."

There is a rule in English: Any time a preposition affects a pronoun, the pronoun compulsorily changes to the object case. Let me give an example to make it clear. Any time words like: to, for, between, around, in, beside, with, under, inside, above, etc are used about a pronoun (eg I, he, she, they, we, etc), that pronoun must be in the object case (ie me, him,her, them, us, etc).

Examples:

This is for me (never "for I"wink.

God is in us (never "in we"wink.

She gave it to him (never "to he"wink.

The same heart is inside you and me (never "inside you and I"wink .

Remember that "you" never changes whether as the subject or the object e.g You love me {SUBJECT}. I love you {OBJECT}.)

I hope this has been useful and that someone has learnt something that even most of our award-winning novelists, broadcasters, journalists, actors, and multiple-degree holders don't know. It is actually very simple to learn.

1 Like

Re: Brighter Grammar by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 04, 2010
Azuka.O:

Please take some time to read this. It is very important and may help you in life.

I am sorry but "between you and I" is terrible English one can only hear or see in the modern Nigerian media (TV, films, newspapers etc), books and discussions. You can't see it in any non-Nigerian book or newspaper, or hear it in foreign movies. And our old writers, broadcasters or actors never had such a problem; not even those who only had a secondary school certificate. (Mind you: I am not old school).

I said above that: "You and I" means "we", while "you and me" means "us". Can you say: "This is between we"? So you can't say, "This is between you and I."

Remember that "you" never changes whether as the subject or the object e.g You love me {SUBJECT}. I love you {OBJECT}.)

I hope this has been useful and that someone has learnt something that even most of our award-winning novelists, broadcasters, journalists, actors, and multiple-degree holders don't know. It is actually very simple to learn.
I thought as much undecided
Re: Brighter Grammar by maclatunji: 3:50pm On Jun 05, 2010
rokiatu:

I thought as much undecided

But didn't say anything before now.

BTW I am not totally convinced with this 'you and me' answer. However, I am too lazy to do the research and not ashamed to say so.
Re: Brighter Grammar by maclatunji: 4:06pm On Jun 05, 2010
i am lazy no doubt but I have done the research on this 'You and I' problem and now remember that 'You and I' is correct when used as a subject but incorrect when used as an object. So, if you say: 'You and I are going to Dubai for the weekend', that's correct.

But if you say: Macbeth hates 'you and I', that's wrong. Where's my proof? Here it is:

http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/drlang002.html
Re: Brighter Grammar by dominique(f): 9:39pm On Jun 05, 2010
"you and i" is wrong shocked shocked
that's the way i use it embarassed
Re: Brighter Grammar by Ripshin(m): 5:06pm On Oct 25, 2010
Actually, there are several incorrect answers in this thread. It is best to consult an official grammar guide for accurate rules.

The possessive form of proper nouns ending in an "s" contain an apostrophe AND and "s". "James's book" "Chris's dog," etc. Somebody in another thread, actually said that they were "not PC, but old school" and thus refused to use the " 's ". The use of an apostrophe AND an "s" for possessive proper nouns IS OLD SCHOOL. My mother was taught that in the 40s/50s. So, it should be "St. James's Park," if used in the possessive context.
Re: Brighter Grammar by MaiSuya(m): 11:21pm On Oct 28, 2010
Azuka.O:

Any time you are confused whether to use "you and me" or "you and I", simply substitute with "WE" or "US". If "we" sounds right, then it's "you and I" but if "us" sounds right, then it's "you and me."

There is a rule in English: Any time a preposition affects a pronoun, the pronoun compulsorily changes to the object case. Let me give an example to make it clear. Any time words like: to, for, between, around, in, beside, with, under, inside, above, etc are used about a pronoun (eg I, he, she, they, we, etc), that pronoun must be in the object case (ie me, him,her, them, us, etc).

Examples:

This is for me (never "for I"wink.

God is in us (never "in we"wink.

I've known about this objective/subjective thingy for sometime, (even tho I still make occasional slip-ups)however, I have never had it explained like this b4. I really learned something here.
Re: Brighter Grammar by nanaboi(m): 10:43am On Nov 03, 2010
@ Ripshin, yea you're right on the expert thiñg. I observd some here are merely quotiñg their GMATs.

On apostrophe, I know that any noun that ends in an 's' carries an apostrophe in its possessive form and could also carry another 's' after the apostrophe - it's the writer's choice. What changes is the pronunciation.
Re: Brighter Grammar by tpia5: 1:56am On Oct 09, 2011

this book was invaluable to me back in the day.

what are the kids in nigeria using now?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

An Open Sent-off Letter To 2015 / Do Nigerians Read? / A Letter To Imam Farouk (laugh N Forget your Sorrow)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.