Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,135 members, 7,957,246 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:48 AM

Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? (1463 Views)

Is Listening To Secular Music or Watching Movie Bad For A Christian? / Opening The Eyes While Praying, Good Or Bad? / How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by helinues: 9:33am On Jul 23, 2017
What would the world be like with no religion? While this is a question we’ll probably never comprehensively answer, it is an interesting one.

Does religion contribute, on balance, to human well-being or to oppression and misery?
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Makaveli08: 9:57am On Jul 23, 2017
Both. Sometimes it contributes by building charities, other times it brings about acts of violence such as terrorism. It however will be too much of a generalization to evaluate all religions together as one, instead each should be assessed individually.
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by gentlegenius(m): 10:02am On Jul 23, 2017
helinues:
What would the world be like with no religion? While this is a question we’ll probably never comprehensively answer, it is an interesting one.

Does religion contribute, on balance, to human well-being or to oppression and misery?
Religion is the greatest SCAM that has enveloped our world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by hopefulLandlord: 10:10am On Jul 23, 2017
religion was useful in times past but has outlived its usefulness

2 Likes

Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by johnydon22(m): 10:52am On Jul 23, 2017
gentlegenius:

Religion is the greatest SCAM that has enveloped our world.

Doesn't necessarily mean its bad for the world
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by johnydon22(m): 10:53am On Jul 23, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
religion was useful in times past but has outlived its usefulness

I still think religion is still useful and important to the world
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by hopefulLandlord: 10:54am On Jul 23, 2017
johnydon22:

I still think religion is still useful and important to the world
can you elucidate sir
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by mactoni91(m): 11:10am On Jul 23, 2017
Religion is for the gullible
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by johnydon22(m): 12:57pm On Jul 23, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

can you elucidate sir
I was master of epistles until I became incurrably lazy...
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by AlvanT(m): 3:22pm On Jul 23, 2017
johnydon22:
I was master of epistles until I became incurrably lazy...
Chisos! Oga Johnny you don hang pen?
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Deicide: 4:00pm On Jul 23, 2017
By religion, if you mean Abrahamism then yes Abrahamism is very Bad for the world
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by obinna58(m): 4:19pm On Jul 23, 2017
johnydon22:

Doesn't necessarily mean its bad for the world
It's very bad In terms of their fvcking rules
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Niflheim(m): 4:38pm On Jul 23, 2017
@op,

"Eating grass" is definitely bad for humanity!!!
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Martinez19(m): 8:28pm On Jul 23, 2017
Man is now too civilised for religion. Man can do good things without religion.
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by johnydon22(m): 9:00pm On Jul 23, 2017
AlvanT:
Chisos! Oga Johnny you don hang pen?

Not yet o na laziness dey worry me ni
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by johnydon22(m): 9:01pm On Jul 23, 2017
obinna58:

It's very bad In terms of their fvcking rules

Are rules found only in religions? Don't countries and other enterprises have rules?

Would you then also tag them as dangerous?
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by johnydon22(m): 9:04pm On Jul 23, 2017
Martinez19:
Man is now too civilised for religion. Man can do good things without religion.
Man always could have. Man could write without books now, man can also do things without great many things but are there subtle reasons why we still cling to these?

That you can do without something doesn't necessarily make it useless in entirety or unneeded.
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by johnydon22(m): 9:05pm On Jul 23, 2017
Niflheim:
@op,

"Eating grass" is definitely bad for humanity!!!

We are omnivorous

1 Like

Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by johnydon22(m): 9:06pm On Jul 23, 2017
Deicide:
By religion, if you mean Abrahamism then yes Abrahamism is very Bad for the world

Only Abrahamism? What makes other religion any less wrong than Abrahamism?
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 23, 2017
Neither. I think it's rare that any one religion is inherently and overwhelmingly good or bad, the issue really are the practitioners rather than the religions themselves... no religion can exist without any practitioners so it's safe to say the people that follow the religion make the religions what they are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Humanistme: 9:11pm On Jul 23, 2017
johnydon22:

pls cure your laziness I beg you. I miss your contributions.
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Humanistme: 9:13pm On Jul 23, 2017
johnydon22:

pls find a cure for your. laziness I beg you. I miss your contributions.
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Humanistme: 9:13pm On Jul 23, 2017
johnydon22:

pls find a cure for your. laziness I beg you. I miss your contributions.
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by obinna58(m): 9:20pm On Jul 23, 2017
johnydon22:

Are rules found only in religions? Don't countries and other enterprises have rules?

Would you then also tag them as dangerous?
Religious rules damages human mind
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by GoodMuyis(m): 9:34pm On Jul 23, 2017
Drupal
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by GoodMuyis(m): 9:35pm On Jul 23, 2017
obinna58:
Religious rules damages human mind
IK nko
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Martinez19(m): 9:41pm On Jul 23, 2017
johnydon22:
Man always could have. Man could write without books now, man can also do things without great many things but are there subtle reasons why we still cling to these?

That you can do without something doesn't necessarily make it useless in entirety or unneeded.
Agreed. Unlike books and paper, the basic premise of religion is all lies, people live by these lies and we know that religion is a destructive tool in the hands of men. Other things may be useful but religion is not. Even if religion has a usefulness, it's bad side far overwhelms the good side making it unnecessary.
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Robynwelo1(f): 10:29pm On Jul 23, 2017
Religion destroyed the world. I think it's an irreparable damage.
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by johnydon22(m): 10:41pm On Jul 23, 2017
Robynwelo1:
Religion destroyed the world. I think it's an irreparable damage.
explain
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Deicide: 11:03pm On Jul 23, 2017
johnydon22:

Only Abrahamism? What makes other religion any less wrong than Abrahamism?
oh all religion is wrong but my emphasis was on Abrahanism being evil and bad the evidence is around us
Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by Robynwelo1(f): 11:29pm On Jul 23, 2017
johnydon22:
explain

Religious folks have abandoned the world for an afterlife...Simply put, they have been brainwashed into believing that the world is not their home.

Imagine a world where everybody understands the importance of their input in this world...giving their all into sustaining it knowing they have only one life to live, we would all be living in reality and not fantasy. But the deed has already been done.

1 Like

Re: Is Religion Good Or Bad For The World? by johnydon22(m): 2:59pm On Jul 25, 2017
Robynwelo1:

Religious folks have abandoned the world for an afterlife...Simply put, they have been brainwashed into believing that the world is not their home.
This didn't give the world nuclear weapons though. Belief in afterlife yes i may agree can diminish the value of this world, yes a belief in a higher purpose diminishes the worth of the imminent purpose, this is true.

But let us not be quick to condemn this belief, belief in afterlife developed as a possible solution to the question that mankind has always asked "Who are we?" "what are we doing here?"

we are vulnerable as we are young species, lost in the vastness of eternity and haunted by the eventuality of our death, nothing in life is more certain that death, nothing more perfect or more sure than the truth of death.

We are helpless in the face of this certainty so it is no surprise that we may come up with ways to comfort ourselves, we may find ways to make ourselves feel good on our impending doom.

Belief is the source of hope even if it is a lie. You may prefer the hard straight truth but if the whole world told the truth we would all be cold and straight, hope brings warmth and ease and belief in afterlife brings this to our vulnerable minds.

Imagine a world where everybody understands the importance of their input in this world
A Nihilist may ask the question "To what end?" after all we all die, it all ends after everything like it never happened, in the whiff of a second we vanish into the cosmic ocean like a momentarily cosmic blink without notice?

Which ever way we chose to see the world the end is always the bane of our thoughts, the peak of our questions.

...giving their all into sustaining it knowing they have only one life to live, we would all be living in reality and not fantasy. But the deed has already been done.
A world everyone is living in reality? We don't even have a total grasp of what is real, how can we all possibly live in reality?

we don't even understand what we are yet, we don't even know what the universe or the cosmos is, so i ask - what is reality?

I really understand the reasons why all these stories and belief in afterlife, of heaven and paradise crop up in the human mind, why all these philosophies and emotional clutch to a comforting tale defines a huge part of our belief

It is because of the vulnerability of our being.

Being that almost certainly we are probably the only species amongst all in this planet that know at a very young age that we would die one day.

This knowledge of our inevitable end is somewhat like a burden to us .

I doubt that other species Chimpanzee, dogs , elephants even though alive as we are are fretting over an afterlife or performing rituals to earn a place in paradise or somewhere else outside the cosmos.

so would you blame us?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How God Almighty Created Yahweh, Allah, Atum And Their Brothers / Sukuk Bonds Are Islamic Loans - CAN Insist On Rejecting It; Reveals Next Plan / CASE CLOSED

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.