Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,816 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) (25052 Views)

NERC: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity From April / NERC: Nigerians To Pay N36,000 And N67,000 For Electricity Meters / We Are No Longer Responsible For Electricity Meters - Discos Tell Consumers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 24, 2017
wirinet:

No one is quarreling with increasing the rates, if they like they can increase the rate to N100/kwh, what people are complaining about is estimate billing and hence estimated increases in bills. You are mandated to pay whether you use their services or not. How can you legally justify billing someone for services not rendered.

Yes that is the truth.

BUt cosnder this...we generate 6000MW max for a population reaching 200million people . South Africa generates 40000MW for a populaiton of 45million.

Naturally we have to increase generation

Hence, we have to pay
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by wirinet(m): 1:14pm On Jul 24, 2017
Ijaya123:

He was not even nominated as a minister when the tariff increament was announced in October 2015. Go check you record.

The same Fashola that directed consumers to stop paying for estimated billings until they are metered? Don't let hatred becloud your sense of judgement.

First the order does not affect residential, commercial of most industrial users, as i found out from Eko Disco office. It only affect a class of industrial users (M1 i guess). It applies to those that feed directly from 415v feeder line.

Secondly, what do you do when NEPA (DISCO) officials stand a ladder on your pole, asking you to show your bill or they bring down your wire? There seems to be no law that applies to DISCOS, they are law unto themselves.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

RIP intelligence

Actually, I am telling you what a DISCO official told a relative of mine when he went to quibble over the estimated billing thing

Basically

1.Prepaid meters don't pay as much as estimated billers do.

2.People bypass the meters.

3.We need $300bn to get everything up to speed....so even if meters became ubiquitous.....increases are going to happen. Even if govt takes over again.

LOok....our power system is in deep problem....and it is beyond politics. I have stopped blaming govt for power issues since 2013.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Ijaya123: 1:15pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

I am sure you don't pay PHCN bills if not you will know he was the one that begged Nigerians to accept the new increase just a week after petrol was increased ..I pay electricity bills so I know when there is an increase and under who it was increased ..Don't come here and try to change the narrative

Fact is sacrosanct. The announcement was made in 2015 when Fashola was not even a minister and it took effect on 1st of February 2016. Go and check your records again and stop misinforming people.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 1:15pm On Jul 24, 2017
Ijaya123:

He was not even nominated as a minister when the tariff increament was announced in October 2015. Go check you record.

The same Fashola that directed consumers to stop paying for estimated billings until they are metered? Don't let hatred becloud your sense of judgement.

see below link of your evil Fashola approving the last increment with the same excuse he is shamelessly peddling today

https://www.today.ng/news/nigeria/74275/why-fg-approved-new-electricity-tariff-regime-minister
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 1:16pm On Jul 24, 2017
Ijaya123:

Fact is sacrosanct. The announcement was made in 2015 when Fashola was not even a minister and it took effect on 1st of February 2016. Go and check your records again and stop misinforming people.

Oya see fact

https://www.today.ng/news/nigeria/74275/why-fg-approved-new-electricity-tariff-regime-minister
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 1:17pm On Jul 24, 2017
9jakohai:

Actually, I am telling you what a DISCO official told a relative of mine when he went to quibble over the estimated billing thing

Basically

1.Prepaid meters don't pay as much as estimated billers do.

2.People bypass the meters.

3.We need $300bn to get everything up to speed....so even if meters became ubiquitous.....increases are going to happen. Even if govt takes over again.

LOok....our power system is in deep problem....and it is beyond politics. I have stopped blaming govt for power issues since 2013.

So they intend to continue selling darkness ?
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Ijaya123: 1:17pm On Jul 24, 2017
wirinet:

First the order does not affect residential, commercial of most industrial users, as i found out from Eko Disco office. It only affect a class of industrial users (M1 i guess). It applies to those that feed directly from 415v feeder line.

Secondly, what do you do when NEPA (DISCO) officials stand a ladder on your pole, asking you to show your bill or they bring down your wire? There seems to be no law that applies to DISCOS, they are law unto themselves.

Was it Fashola that sold the DISCOs or is the the owner? Blaming the wrong person for your woes. Your grudges with Fashola is grossly misplaced.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Ijaya123: 1:21pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

see below link of your evil Fashola approving the last increment with the same excuse he is shamelessly peddling today

Don't just read but also understand. The increase in tariff was announced in 2015 before Fashola was made minister and is to take effect on February 1st, 2016.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by mechanics(m): 1:22pm On Jul 24, 2017
Nawa o, mine is R2 under AEDC, but if the tarrif is increased it won't be funny o, those with estimated billing will suffer it, thank God I don purchase metre, before I was charged like #3800 a month, with the metre now, am being charged #1000.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by DJInfluence: 1:23pm On Jul 24, 2017
If only we pay for what we use and there is constant supply then it would have been fine, because it is better than using a gen anyday. But that is not the case. They even refused to meter people so they can continue with their indiscriminate billing of people.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by wirinet(m): 1:23pm On Jul 24, 2017
9jakohai:

Yes that is the truth.

BUt cosnder this...we generate 6000MW max for a population reaching 200million people . South Africa generates 40000MW for a populaiton of 45million.

Hence, we have to pay

This is half truth.

Even though our generation capacity (grid) is about 8,000 MW, our transmission and distribution capacity is just above 5,000MW. Meanwhile, we total generation capacity (grid + private) is above 50,000MW. Most industrial companies generate their own power. I know many companies with over 1MW generating plants. Most homes and offices run on private power.

Dogara: Nigerians spend $5 billion on generators annually
The Speaker of House of Representatives, Mr Yakubu Dogara, on Tuesday said it was unacceptable that Nigerians spent five billion dollars on generators annually.

The speaker, in a News Agency of Nigeria reports, said the house would support the Executive to find a permanent solution to the power problem in the country.

Dogara stated this on Tuesday in Abuja at the public hearing organized by the House of Representatives Committee on Power on three Bills pending before the lower chamber.

He explained that the lawmakers were reviewing some of Nigeria’s energy laws to provide appropriate legal framework that would facilitate the exploitation of renewable energy to the benefit of the economy.
- https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2017/07/18/dogara-nigerians-spend-5-billion-generators-annually/

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SeanDada1(m): 1:26pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Second increase by the devil called Fashola in just over a year and yet electricity supply has reduced to a paltry 3 hours a day ...From today it's shall never be well with anyone planning to inflict more pains on Nigerians , it shall never again be well with the health of any person in the power ministry pushing for tariff increase in these times ..

How come Kano state price list is very low compared to other states? Are they not consuming electricity in Kano too?
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 1:32pm On Jul 24, 2017
Ijaya123:

Don't just read but also understand. The increase in tariff was announced in 2015 before Fashola was made minister and is to take effect on February 1st, 2016.

Did Fashola defend the new tariffs increase then or not , Did he defend it with the same lies he is peddling today or not ? Whether you like it or not Fashola and his cronies in the the DISCOS are more interested in selling darkness than light to Nigerians because selling darkness is a lot more profitable ..At a time when GENCOS are complaining that DISCOS are rejecting 75 percent of the electricity being wheelled to them because the know the don't want to sell electrify but darkness under the guise of estimated bills ..A reasonable minister would have first made sure the DISCOS provide 80 percent of their customers with prepaid meters before and new thieving tariff can even take place but Fashola won't because he and his friends in discos want to keep selling darkness which is too profitable when compared to selling electricity
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 1:33pm On Jul 24, 2017
SeanDada1:

How come Kano state price list is very low compared to other states? Are they not consuming electricity in Kano too?

Electricity in the past has even been free in Kano because Nepa hardly disconnects people there

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by thunderbabs: 1:34pm On Jul 24, 2017
9jakohai:

DISCOS and GENCOS were brought in by PDP.

And the price increases were codified in law in 2014.

And DISCOS and GENCOS have to raise prices...because...they are companies who have to make a profit.

Sorry....but blaming APC for PDP's mistakes (not that privatisation was a mistake....I think it was a good idea) is not right.

No argument about their motives but comparing the state of the economy vis-a-vis the current terrible rise in the cost of living and continuos fall in the standard of living of the average Nigerian since Buhari took office is unacceptable.

Increasing cost of amenities at this time without commensurate increase in the average pay of workers amounts to you know what it is.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 24, 2017
wirinet:

This is half truth.

Even though our generation capacity (grid) is about 8,000 MW, our transmission and distribution capacity is just above 5,000MW. Meanwhile, we total generation capacity (grid + private) is above 50,000MW. Most industrial companies generate their own power. I know many companies with over 1MW generating plants. Most homes and offices run on private power.

MOst of the 'private' power is what would have been 'standby' power in a country with good power supply.

And the main issue is that our transmission system is worn out.

The thing is.....we need to increase generation. and fix the transmission system. Even if we got all those private people to give us that 50000 to share on the national grid......they still have to be paid.....with increased fees.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Sunnyja: 2:35pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Second increase by the devil called Fashola in just over a year and yet electricity supply has reduced to a paltry 3 hours a day ...From today it's shall never be well with anyone planning to inflict more pains on Nigerians , it shall never again be well with the health of any person in the power ministry pushing for tariff increase in these times ..
Enjoy your change!
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Prechy08(m): 2:37pm On Jul 24, 2017
They gave us 100% increase this month
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Rexnegro(m): 2:57pm On Jul 24, 2017
Eastatlantaniqqa:
it's good. At least my area at iba(igbo elerin) we enjoy constant electricity for about 19 hours a day
In fact if come to my area u would think it's VGC
shatap jare And stop lying on Nairaland...I stay in iba new site, right now am at last bus stop area of iba new site And no fuckinggg light now since two days now or so... no Be only vgc na cgv....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Ijaya123: 3:08pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Did Fashola defend the new tariffs increase then or not , Did he defend it with the same lies he is peddling today or not ? Whether you like it or not Fashola and his cronies in the the DISCOS are more interested in selling darkness than light to Nigerians because selling darkness is a lot more profitable ..At a time when GENCOS are complaining that DISCOS are rejecting 75 percent of the electricity being wheelled to them because the know the don't want to sell electrify but darkness under the guise of estimated bills ..A reasonable minister would have first made sure the DISCOS provide 80 percent of their customers with prepaid meters before and new thieving tariff can even take place but Fashola won't because he and his friends in discos want to keep selling darkness which is too profitable when compared to selling electricity

Now that you've apportioned all the blame to Fashola, hope it makes your day.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by talk4free: 3:35pm On Jul 24, 2017
9jakohai:

DISCOS and GENCOS were brought in by PDP.

And the price increases were codified in law in 2014.

And DISCOS and GENCOS have to raise prices...because...they are companies who have to make a profit.

Sorry....but blaming APC for PDP's mistakes (not that privatization was a mistake....I think it was a good idea) is not right.

Sorry bro. I can see you are trying really hard to convince everyone here. Unfortunately, Nigerians don't read. Neither do they go out of their way to sort out accurate information. The rules and set prices and duration of increase had been set since 2014. Fashola only insists we stick to the template as it will only lead to endless litigation. The price was set and timely increases approved then with promise of improvement and metering over time.
The GENCOs ans DISCOs have reneged on thie part of the deal to provide meters and improve supply, but they never fail to show up once its time for the planned increase. That is the part this Govt should be resistant too. If you don't cover the metering gap, then you can't increase tariff. Simple.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by win3k: 4:13pm On Jul 24, 2017
Cutezt:
I have nothing to say but if I serve a living God,then that man called Buhari and all his supporters will surely pay for every pain they made Nigerians go through.
Meanwhile

god and religion is the number one disease affecting mumu nigerians.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by win3k: 4:14pm On Jul 24, 2017
umitrunp:
Life in this ountry is not fair. no light but them dey inrease bill

No one stop you from disconnecting the power cables and only use generator!
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 5:33pm On Jul 24, 2017
Rexnegro:

shatap jare And stop lying on Nairaland...I stay in iba new site, right now am at last bus stop area of iba new site And no fuckinggg light now since two days now or so... no Be only vgc na cgv....
u stay at iba newsite and is stay at igbo elerin that solves it all u can come to my area now and see 4 ur self or ask some one u knw living in igbo elerin
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by oriewanbe: 5:39pm On Jul 24, 2017
I notice that the tariffs of Ikeja and eko discos are lower in 2018. Any explanation?
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by topbollz(m): 5:48pm On Jul 24, 2017
9jakohai:

Yes that is the truth.

Hence, we have to pay

We have to pay to increase generation and also pay to get no light. How does that work? What's wrong with generating power then convincing that now that we are doing fine at this level of May be 10- 12hrs per day we might need to increase to serve you better.

What's wrong with sincerity of purpose by ensuring all the houses in Nigeria own a prepaid meter even if it's just for 5k at most so that they know what they are being billed for.

You can't be rubbing the innocent and still expecting them to embrace you. I think government should always consider the cushion effects in decision making.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Blessing008(f): 6:34pm On Jul 24, 2017
They just keep increasing and deceiving us. From 16.44 to 27.13 to 34.28 and now to God knows what! THESE SO CALLED LEADERS ARE HEARTLESS AND WICKED
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by murmee: 7:02pm On Jul 24, 2017
AZeD1:
I don't mind an increase as far as it comes with prepared meter.
That's right. People can then use the amount of electricity they can afford and not being issued outrageous estimated bills which they can't pay!
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 7:15pm On Jul 24, 2017
9jakohai:

Yes that is the truth.

Hence, we have to pay

I can see you work for those DISCOS
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by murmee: 7:19pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

You have just narrated the bitter Truth. If 80 to 90% of Nigerians are metered, the Disco will be forced to sell light and that is what they don't want to do. If they can sell darkness and get away with it, why would they want to provide light. It is up to Nigerians themselves to resist the rip off by not paying estimated bills. It is as simple as that!
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 7:20pm On Jul 24, 2017
AZeD1:
I don't mind an increase as far as it comes with prepared meter.

From your comment I have no doubt that you don't pay the electricity bills where you stay or you don't consume electricity because the last increment is even barely affordable for most Nigerians , with the last tariff I have to spend 20 a month despite that I got an average of 10 hours of light ..this month I will spend less because I only get just 3 hours of light now ...infact as I was typing light just came and I gather it's since yesterday it was taken

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagosians Protest Against Governor Ambode's Anti-People Policies (Photos) / Kukah To Buhari: You’re Leaving Nigerians Far More Worse Than You Met Them / Buhari And Mustapha Jakolo In Medina In 1984

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.