Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America (33269 Views)

COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria / Woman Diagnosed With Rare Condition That Prevents Her From Hearing MALE Voices / South African Lady Living With HIV Says "I Won’t Allow HIV To Limit Me" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Goldenzeneth: 7:27am On Jul 26, 2017
After recording success amongst teenage girls in the US, plans are in progress to test in Africa, a vaginal ring that prevents HIV infection.

The ring contains an antiretroviral drug called dapivirine and is used for a month at a time.

Dapivirine inhibits HIV’s reverse transcriptase enzyme, a protein vital to HIV’s ability to replicate and cause an infection.

Each intravaginal ring contains one or more microbicides that are intended to be delivered into the vaginal compartment at a high concentration and to be directly absorbed by the cells and tissues.

The flexible ring, which sits on the cervix, is said to cut infection by 56 percent.

Its usage gives women the freedom to protect themselves without relying on men to wear condoms.

At the end of a six-month trial to ascertain its effectiveness, researchers found that 87 percent of ninety-six sexually active girls who partook had detectable levels of the drug in their vagina.

The study investigators concluded that the ring is safe and acceptable to young women.

“HIV doesn’t distinguish between a 16-year-old and an 18-year-old. Access to safe and effective HIV prevention shouldn’t either, young women of all ages deserve to be protected,” said Sharon Hillier, principal investigator and vice chair of the department of obstetrics, gynecology and reproductive sciences at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.

If the ring gets regulatory approval, it would be the first method of prevention exclusively for women.

The study was presented at the 9th International AIDS Society conference in Paris.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/vaginal-ring-preventing-hiv-tested-africa/amp/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by OKorowanta: 7:49am On Jul 26, 2017
I hope dis wont cause Vaginitis cancer?

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by NwaAmaikpe: 9:23am On Jul 26, 2017
shocked

Good news for oloshos.

As President of the Team Skin-To-Skin movement.
I commend whoever designed this.

104 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by kevoh(m): 9:24am On Jul 26, 2017
Interesting....humans solving human related problems [s]and creating more in the process since time immemorial.[/s] tongue

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 26, 2017
This will surely put condom manufacturers out of buisness.

Oyinbo scientists bringing back how it was first meant to be.

Lets have more wetness inside abeg..no this rubber rubber things.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by AlwaysUltraPad: 9:25am On Jul 26, 2017

If the ring gets regulatory approval, it would be the first method of prevention exclusively for women.
Those useless feminists won't be here to cry gender equality now.
cry

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by joekes(m): 9:25am On Jul 26, 2017
OKorowanta:
If you ask me, na who I go ask

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by millhouse: 9:25am On Jul 26, 2017
Why Africa.. Why not try it in Europe first l

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 26, 2017
Good...
Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by cremedelacreme: 9:25am On Jul 26, 2017
shocked
Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Oblongata: 9:25am On Jul 26, 2017
This will promote skin to skin yanshing...
Not good. with hiv, slay queens everywhere.
Without hiv nko?
Devil sha no wan gree grin

3 Likes

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by ifeoluwasegun(m): 9:25am On Jul 26, 2017
How was it tested, penetrating it with an HIV infected penis?

I wanna know please.

25 Likes

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Friedyokes: 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
NIGERIA WAKE UP..... We can do things like this.... But we use religion to justify our mediocrity....we like to see the spiritual aspect of everything ....but these people don't and they are leading us in everything....remember most of the religions we use today was brought to us by them.....

NIGERIANS should ask the questions "WHY" more this leads to the question "HOW" that is the difference between us and them

Good morning

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Hollawayn05(m): 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
WOLLUP!!!

so where is the PEnis ring or incission ?
so na we ALone chop Apple abi...
wuna weydone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by positivelord: 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
flesh-to-flesh is back fully, I guess...
Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Sunkyphil(m): 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
good news for oloshos cool

3 Likes

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by BumbleBee2ice(f): 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
OKorowanta:
Very good question, bcs dats how e take dey start
Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by icon8: 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
Picture of the ring inside the punany, or adonbelievit!

5 Likes

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by kendylet(f): 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
vagina ring kwa ? shocked

1 Like

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Andyblaze: 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
Tell me chumchin

1 Like

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 26, 2017
Thank God I'm married... No need for this shit

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Oye0404(m): 9:27am On Jul 26, 2017
why not get the cure and stop all this yeye experiments. Ring kwaaaahhhh

2 Likes

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Cornerstone2020(m): 9:27am On Jul 26, 2017
This could have adverse effects for either party.

1 Like

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Histrings08(m): 9:27am On Jul 26, 2017
Devil keep helping this people to toe d path of destruction

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by sniperr007(m): 9:28am On Jul 26, 2017
Good
Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by lordnigel(m): 9:28am On Jul 26, 2017
RUBBISH!! Provide a cure if your name na white man...

3 Likes

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by oluwamaich(m): 9:28am On Jul 26, 2017
a boost to olosho marker! America people, una whedon Sir

1 Like

Re: Vaginal Ring That Prevents HIV To Be Tested In Africa After Trials In America by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 26, 2017
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Urine Colour And Health Status / A Profile Of Sexual Activities Among Adolescents In Nigeria / Amazing 3-Month Transformation Of A UNIABUJA Gas Explosion Survivor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.