Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,826 members, 7,824,442 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. (1454 Views)

Snail Farming: Challenges And Prospects / My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit / U.S. Invests N8.6 Billion To Boost Small-scale Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. by MadCow1: 11:36am On Jul 26, 2017
Hi..

So I am kind of new to this section but I have been following it for a while on the low low.

Here is my story. So at the close of last year, I decided to take on a new project in Agriculture this year. This project is very large and I have spent the better part of this year focusing on this project.

The Project: Setting up a Large Scale integrated farm. Primary Livestock being Poultry for eggs and meat and the primary crop yet to be decided on (ideas for this would be welcome). The end game for me is processing. I intend to be going into the frozen food market for processed meat like frozen chicken, meat, sausages and the works.

Progress so far. I have been in training since the start of the year. Main objective of my training is in farm management. Basically how to manage a large scale integrated farm.

I have also acquired two pieces of land measuring 100,000sqm and 75,000sqm respectively. Both properties are within looking distance of each other so the management isn't going to be too much of a problem.

Biggest Challenge:: Security! Security!! Security!!! I have thought long and hard about how to overcome this challenge and I keep coming up blank.. Fencing both properties will cost in excess of 30 Million Naira.. That isn't something I am willing to do even if I could afford it. The Land is located about 3 - 5km from the nearest populated part of the host town. The 75ksqm land isn't situated directly on the main access road and can't be seen from the road as such cos there is a large property in front of it and surrounded on all sides by bush. The area isn't even remotely developed. Mostly other smaller farms around me. The 100ksqm property is on the main road and would be the operations base of the farm (accommodation, equipement, storage, offices and the works).. Also surrounded by bush

So I figure I bring it here to pick the brains of other Nairaland farmers who operate large farms like these and how they have gone about it.

Here are some thoughts I am currently playing with:

1. Digging a 6 feet × 6 feet trench right around the farm.

2. Attempting to do a pillar and barbed wire fence. But all I feel somebody will just cut them and take them away in addition to looting my crops.

3. Community engagement.. I will be getting my base workers from the community anyhow, but then they wouldn't be on the farm at night and the inhabited part of the village is a distance from my location.

Farm Location: Anambra State

... Opinions are highly welcomed especially from people who operate similar scale farming project or have worked on one.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. by omoluabi87: 11:52am On Jul 26, 2017
First, on the issue of crops, I think the logical option is maize. Whether you want to operate your own mill or mix with concentrates, maize is indespensable.
You can rotate with soyabeans too.
For your fencing, I don't know how farming communities are in anambra but probably you should use treated wood for your posts so the incentive to steal isn't there. You can use this with the barb wire.
I'm still wondering who would steal used concrete pillars though.
Re: Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. by peterphd(m): 12:14pm On Jul 26, 2017
Following. Hoping to learn as I've got plans for a similar but smaller project.
Re: Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. by fison(m): 12:38pm On Jul 26, 2017
MadCow1:
Hi..

So I am kind of new to this section but I have been following it for a while on the low low.

Here is my story. So at the close of last year, I decided to take on a new project in Agriculture this year. This project is very large and I have spent the better part of this year focusing on this project.

The Project: Setting up a Large Scale integrated farm. Primary Livestock being Poultry for eggs and meat and the primary crop yet to be decided on (ideas for this would be welcome). The end game for me is processing. I intend to be going into the frozen food market for processed meat like frozen chicken, meat, sausages and the works.

Progress so far. I have been in training since the start of the year. Main objective of my training is in farm management. Basically how to manage a large scale integrated farm.

I have also acquired two pieces of land measuring 100,000sqm and 75,000sqm respectively. Both properties are within looking distance of each other so the management isn't going to be too much of a problem.

Biggest Challenge:: Security! Security!! Security!!! I have thought long and hard about how to overcome this challenge and I keep coming up blank.. Fencing both properties will cost in excess of 30 Million Naira.. That isn't something I am willing to do even if I could afford it. The Land is located about 3 - 5km from the nearest populated part of the host town. The 75ksqm land isn't situated directly on the main access road and can't be seen from the road as such cos there is a large property in front of it and surrounded on all sides by bush. The area isn't even remotely developed. Mostly other smaller farms around me. The 100ksqm property is on the main road and would be the operations base of the farm (accommodation, equipement, storage, offices and the works).. Also surrounded by bush

So I figure I bring it here to pick the brains of other Nairaland farmers who operate large farms like these and how they have gone about it.

2. Attempting to do a pillar and barbed wire fence. But all I feel somebody will just cut them and take them away in addition to looting my crops.

3. Community engagement.. I will be getting my base workers from the community anyhow, but then they wouldn't be on the farm at night and the inhabited part of the village is a distance from my location.

... Opinions are highly welcomed especially from people who operate similar scale farming project or have worked on one.

Thanks.

[quote author=MadCow1 post=58845647]Hi..

Thanks.

Thanks.

You can plant economic trees as fencing materials which on the long run will fetch you good money

1 Like

Re: Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. by KingShayDee(m): 1:20pm On Jul 26, 2017
Barb wire fencing will be better but also make it an electric fence and also put a warning sign
Re: Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. by stagger: 2:10pm On Jul 26, 2017
MadCow1:
Hi..

Thanks.

Plant moringa trees round the perimeter of the lands, and dig a moat on the inside. This will surely prevent any invasion by cows and possibly humans. You also need to invest in a K-9 unit (bloodhounds preferably) as well some miniature drones with cameras that will feed a central station. Of course, guards are also a must, not just to handle the K-9 unit but also to be mobilized to the site of any intrusion at a moment's notice.

1 Like

Re: Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. by MadCow1: 2:50pm On Jul 26, 2017
stagger:

Plant moringa trees round the perimeter of the lands, and dig a moat on the inside. This will surely prevent any invasion by cows and possibly humans. You also need to invest in a K-9 unit (bloodhounds preferably) as well some miniature drones with cameras that will feed a central station. Of course, guards are also a must, not just to handle the K-9 unit but also to be mobilized to the site of any intrusion at a moment's notice.

Thanks.

Moringa is definitely a huge part of my operation (at least 100 trees).. But it isn't much of a deterrent for intruders as it has neither thorns nor triggers allergic reactions like poison ivy weed.

K-9's are a must and provisions are already included in the plan.. Still working out the technicalities though.

The thing is I am also minding the cost implication.. That size of land will require a shitload of guards to effectively secure.
Re: Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. by HECTORBOSS(m): 4:25pm On Jul 26, 2017
The one and only solution is to be there physically and if you cannot be there it is quite unfortunate.

There is nothing you can do about it. The same people you higher to watch over your farm will be the same people stealing from you.

That's the norm.
Re: Large Scale Farming Challenges. How Do I Overcome It. by FarmTech(m): 1:27am On Jan 01, 2018
Op, how is it going? Where is ur farm in Anambra? I have mine at Awkuzu.

(1) (Reply)

Other Sellable And Productive Products Your Can Achieve From Garri Processing / Maize Shelling Machine @ profem and partners call 08036408292 / The Duroc Pig Breed (overview)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.