Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,376 members, 7,819,368 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 - Travel (260) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 (829009 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by maygreaves(m): 8:29pm On Oct 05, 2017
so after many weeks, the VO asked for a new LOA.....however my new offer letter says i start in september. i hope they won't wait till next year to complete the application processing because i really need my passport by december.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 9:09pm On Oct 05, 2017
awuf:
While we are sending PMs and discussing in private, let us still try to drop our profiles and related inquiry regarding our visa on this thread. This is to keep the thread lively and very rich in new trends of denials and approvals.

We just saw some interesting GCMS Notes talking about online presence etc. We need to come back to the thread and keep it going.

My Bosses, please encourage private enquiriers to do so on this thread. Remind them that they get broader perspectives from here. This will also give you a little time to help review our sops as we will continue to bombard you with them.

Some gurus have started school and are too busy, but there are many more that have been groomed and are available to answer while we wait for the bosses input at their spare time.

Bottom Line: Keep it going. Keep it alive.

Yes... I've been a silent reader. Started reading from part 9.

True talk. The online presence GCMS notes really stopped me in my tracks and is beyond me. @Thesoj might know. Do VOs google information about applicants? Is this even legal and not out of the parameters of the law for an administrative review to be conducted based on the record? Given the Internet can even be hijacked by a 5 year old for postings, why is online presence a dependable way of fishing out information about applicants?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by boninho: 10:19pm On Oct 05, 2017
Greetings to you all

Big thumbs up to all who have contributed to the growth of this wonderful thread
Please, experts in the house, can someone help me to review my statement of research intent before submission

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Frankrobbn1: 10:43pm On Oct 05, 2017
maygreaves:
so after many weeks, the VO asked for a new LOA.....however my new offer letter says i start in september. i hope they won't wait till next year to complete the application processing because i really need my passport by december.

Congratulations.!

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by thesoj: 10:43pm On Oct 05, 2017
jnyuwa02:
True talk. The online presence GCMS notes really stopped me in my tracks and is beyond me. @Thesoj might know. Do VOs google information about applicants? Is this even legal and not out of the parameters of the law for an administrative review to be conducted based on the record? Given the Internet can even be hijacked by a 5 year old for postings, why is online presence a dependable way of fishing out information about applicants?
I automatically assume that an online search of a visa applicant is the most basic stage of a "background check" done by the Consulate. When each of my siblings applied, we definitely made sure that their online presence didn't paint them in a bad light. In fact, I would find it shocking if the Canadian consulate didn't conduct such a search. This canadavisa thread also discusses the topic.

There is no law, as far as I know, that prevents a VO from doing a simple Google search of an applicant. As a matter of fact, the US for sure has been doing this for a while, and they plan to escalate it even further. I think the difference between the US and Canada is that Canada has all the time in the world to do a background check on you before the visa is issued while the US issues the visa after a 30-second interview though they can later revoke it at the port of entry if they find incriminating or inconsistent information during any secondary interrogation.

If your LinkedIn profile doesn't match the job experience you provided on your visa application, then this would create credibility issues. Also, those who post misogynistic or violent messages on Twitter should expect scrutiny if the consulate (or PoE officer) has any reason to do an online search on you!

My unverified opinion is that the Canadian Consulate does an online search on applicants in some but not all cases. But I think every applicant should just automatically assume that such a search will be done on him/her.

Edited: Another thing I'd like to add is that it is well known that if you go through secondary interrogation at the POE, Canada border officers sometimes do all kinds of social media searches, search your phone, go through your WhatsApp, etc. to determine if you are legit or not. If POE officers can do that, I have no reason to believe that VOs or the Consulate can't do a similar online search.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 11:46pm On Oct 05, 2017
thesoj:

I automatically assume that an online search of a visa applicant is the most basic stage of a "background check" done by the Consulate. When each of my siblings applied, we definitely made sure that their online presence didn't paint them in a bad light. In fact, I would find it shocking if the Canadian consulate didn't conduct such a search. This canadavisa thread also discusses the topic.

There is no law, as far as I know, that prevents a VO from doing a simple Google search of an applicant. As a matter of fact, the US for sure has been doing this for a while, and they plan to escalate it even further. I think the difference between the US and Canada is that Canada has all the time in the world to do a background check on you before the visa is issued while the US issues the visa after a 30-second interview though they can later revoke it at the port of entry if they find incriminating or inconsistent information during any secondary interrogation.

If your LinkedIn profile doesn't match the job experience you provided on your visa application, then this would create credibility issues. Also, those who post misogynistic or violent messages on Twitter should expect scrutiny if the consulate (or PoE officer) has any reason to do an online search on you!

My unverified opinion is that the Canadian Consulate does an online search on applicants in some but not all cases. But I think every applicant should just automatically assume that such a search will be done on him/her.

Edited: Another thing I'd like to add is that it is well known that if you go through secondary interrogation at the POE, Canada border officers sometimes do all kinds of social media searches, search your phone, go through your WhatsApp, etc. to determine if you are legit or not. If POE officers can do that, I have no reason to believe that VOs or the Consulate can't do a similar online search.

Thanks @Thesoj for your contributions. You see background checks in my understanding based on law enforcement tool used in the U.S., is state and FBI database coinjoined to find out criminal and background information about a person. Very reliable and admissible evidence. When it comes to international arena, it might go on to involve Interpol and the database of other signatory countries in a pact of data sharing network. This is what Canada is doing when you apply for a visa. They are querying their law enforcement tool and those of other countries, not scouring the internet for information about an applicant. Essentially what Canadian government does is query the system of database it has and it gets automatic information about an applicant when there is a match. Sometimes, a sharing nation would even refuse to disclose any information about a person if it deems it not in its public interest to disclose such information. And in that case, the requesting country wanting information is stuck and stuck for good. The U.S. for example under the biometrics agreement with Canada, does not disclose to Canada the information of its citizens, permanent residents, refugee claimants and trafficking victims, etc.

I suspect the internet is resorted to very minimally, only in special cases of a suspected person. I mean information on google or these things you find on the internet are not even admissible legal evidence. Not to talk about the fact that so many people share the same names. Who knows how many Thesojs exist out there at a simple google search. Maybe a convicted axe murderer at large has that name too. Hahah, forgive me, just a hypothetical case. Never read a GCMS note where someone was denied and they said it was because of something they found about the person on the internet or Nairaland. GCMS notes always reference "record of submitted evidence," not some amorphous information found on the web. My five cents and opinion.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by TDultimate(m): 7:02am On Oct 06, 2017
reginabenson:
congrats bro, i recently just got my admission letter from regina university. I kindly request your email addy or phone number for some questions.

If school fees is paid and you are not finally granted TRV.. What is the hope that u can get a refund.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by pvc4real: 7:19am On Oct 06, 2017
TDultimate:

If school fees is paid and you are not finally granted TRV.. What is the hope that u can get a refund.

Hello there, your refund is certain. A friend of mine even paid to UofR and requested for refund without applying for TRV because she deferred her admission and the refund came within days. So, focus on your TRV app with everything you have believing it is the only shot you have at it and it should end in praise.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jacksonyito: 8:27am On Oct 06, 2017
Morning good people,

Talking of writing a good sop, is it safe to tell the VO my aspirations of going for a PHD (management) and lecturing as a profession after the completion of the masters programme in management (which is what I actually ve in mind) since you ve used employer as home tie and tendered just a year study leave

Thanks bosses
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 9:26am On Oct 06, 2017
jacksonyito:
Morning good people,

Talking of writing a good sop, is it safe to tell the VO my aspirations of going for a PHD (management) and lecturing as a profession after the completion of the masters programme in management (which is what I actually ve in mind) since you ve used employer as home tie and tendered just a year study leave

Thanks bosses

That is wonderful you want to teach. I think most people don't want to disclose they want to stay on in Canada and do PHD, fearing this might be construed as intentions of staying more in Canada and not wanting to come back to Nigeria. You know what, VOs love authenticity and genuiness and something different. So please feel free to tell them that you want to do PHD and teach upcoming generations in Nigeria. They will love it! I had a friend who went to study veterinary medicine. They loved his application and granted him visa because these Canadians love animals. They were just tired of seeing the normal mold of everyone going for computer science or business. His was breathe of fresh air. Sometimes the reason these VOS grant an application is as simple loving your course and no more than that. That's the nature of discretion. Go figure that one out.

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Abiodunne: 10:38am On Oct 06, 2017
Finally my background check has changed from "not applicable" to "we are now processing your background check". I submitted a new letter of acceptance 2 days ago.

10 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by guzenaira: 10:39am On Oct 06, 2017
Abiodunne:
Finally my background check has changed from "not applicable" to "we are now processing your background check". I submitted a new letter of acceptance 2 days ago.
Wow!!
Getting closer by the day.
God will perfect everything for you.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Frankrobbn1: 10:48am On Oct 06, 2017
Abiodunne:

In Advance Congrats!

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Frankrobbn1: 10:49am On Oct 06, 2017
Abiodunne:

I smell your TRV coming soon. congratulations in advance.!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 11:36am On Oct 06, 2017
Abiodunne:

Mine has been reading "we are now processing your background check" from day one of submission which isn't even a month yet. And you just got there? Hope your application was not lost in the cracks, between a rock and a hard place. Best wishes! Bout time!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by olalives(m): 11:53am On Oct 06, 2017
Is it possible to request for one's passport without the application being withdrawn?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by arrJay(f): 12:15pm On Oct 06, 2017
bayocanny:

Check the following schools:
University of British Columbia
University of calgary
University of western ontario
Ryerson University

Thanks alot..
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by dayusin: 1:09pm On Oct 06, 2017
muyem:
Dear All, I need your input.

A brother who is in USA for the past 4weeks (on a 4month visit) just called me and said he just received his admission letter from one of the college in Canada for winter (January) and would like to apply for student visa immediately but the concern is that must he rush down to Nigeria to apply of is there a way he can apply over there in USA.

Please respond urgently if you know something o.

Hello Muyem. I just tried to send you a PM but it is not going through. please can you send me a PM. i will like to ask you a few questions. I checked your posts and i think we have a similar situation
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by efosases: 1:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
Good day NL. please how do i tackle this message i got from my school i asked for my admission be deferred to January 2018. (Hello,
The next available semester is Fall 2018 September and we will only start issuing letter for fall 2018 in February 2018.
Best Regards)
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by dayusin: 1:43pm On Oct 06, 2017
Anyone awaiting decision from CIC after being sent a procedural fairness letter ?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Austinpee4: 1:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
olalives:
Is it possible to request for one's passport without the application being withdrawn?
Only on very rare cases. Once you request for your passport, you automatically have asked for your application to be withdrawn. Nevertheless, you could still have then send back you passport alone but again, it will be dependent on the nature of the urgency,time from date of application and the chances your application have.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Austinpee4: 1:57pm On Oct 06, 2017
efosases:
Good day NL. please how do i tackle this message i got from my school i asked for my admission be deferred to January 2018. (Hello,
The next available semester is Fall 2018 September and we will only start issuing letter for fall 2018 in February 2018.
Best Regards)
I doubt anybody here can advise you on how to tackle this. It's the school's perogative to consider request using their established terms and conditions as well as policies. So if they say the can't issue a new letter to you till February , then you will have to wait till then.

Alternatively, you may want to further explain to them your situation and there could be an exceptional consideration on your case since it is a deferal and not an admission consideration. This is just my opinion,the school will have to decide.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by maygreaves(m): 2:43pm On Oct 06, 2017
Frankrobbn1:

Congratulations.!

Thank you Boss smiley
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by modupeesa: 4:03pm On Oct 06, 2017
Hello every one, kindly help me. I want to link my application online cos I applied thru paper route. Kindly help me with the steps involve. God bless you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by TITILOLA88: 4:14pm On Oct 06, 2017
maygreaves:

Congratulations!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by val4o: 4:19pm On Oct 06, 2017
[quote author=justwise post=58862664][/quote]

Please i need assistance i want to apply for my visa i have been granted admission to University of Regina Sask. What are the necessary steps and guidelines to secure my student visa. I am to resume in spring next year
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by RAY12345(m): 4:24pm On Oct 06, 2017
modupeesa:
Hello every one, kindly help me. I want to link my application online cos I applied thru paper route. Kindly help me with the steps involve. God bless you

Hello, Here are the steps.
(1) Go to this below listed link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp
(2) Click on continue to Gckey
(3) If You've already account created, login with your Username and Password otherwise Click on Sign up to go on next page and create your username, password and security questions.
(4) After creating my CIC account, click link application to this account.
(5) Then select category as Temporary residence and subcategory as Study Permit and extension.
(6) Then select Family name, given name and date of birth option.
(7) Fill your family name(surname), given name and date of birth as per Passport or application form.
(8.) Next in applicant personal info panel fill Passport information only and DO NOT FILL CITY AND COUNTRY OF BIRTH.
(9) Enter your course start date given on your offer letter exact same as that.
(10) Enter course end date as on offer letter only month and year is given so enter that only don't select the date.
(11) Enter your DLI no. same as given on the offer letter.
(12) Next search for your application.
(13) Your application will be found and can be linked.
(14) You can get real time updates on your paper application online.
Regards
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by RAY12345(m): 4:26pm On Oct 06, 2017
val4o:

Please i need assistance i want to apply for my visa i have been granted admission to University of Regina Sask. What are the necessary steps and guidelines to secure my student visa. I am to resume in spring next year

Hello Val4o, Congrats on securing admission to UofR. To secure visa, u need to start gathering the necessary documents. Go to page 0 of this thread for more guidance and links.

Regards
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 5:01pm On Oct 06, 2017
maygreaves:

You have no options but to submit. However, don't expect to be given visa 11 months to the start of your program.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 06, 2017
efosases:
Best Regards)

Most probably the course you applied for is only offered in the fall term. U either apply for a new prog that is offered in winter or you wait for the new offer letter. Since your TRV has not been approved yet (?), i suggest you hold on till CIC asks for a new LoA which by then would have been issues (most likely). In that interval, gather enough money and make research about life in Canada. Before yoi know it, feb/march is here. All the best
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Adesire1: 5:42pm On Oct 06, 2017
Hello house....is it possible to use the police clearance certificate dated first of june for my re application on monday considering the 3months validity? Or can i just go ahead without submitting it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) ... (501)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5 / UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa / Qualified Teacher Route / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.