Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,162 members, 7,860,163 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:04 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 - Travel (481) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 (847049 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 26, 2018
Hi guys.

I've been a silent reader on here but it's time i speak..firstly I want to Thank everyone for their contributions. The tips I got here for my Application was amazing...thanks guys...

Glory be to God University of Northern British Columbia offered me admission(MSc Business Administration) and I got my acceptance letter last Friday...Now regarding the study permit application tbh I'm really confused and I have few questions.

1. I wasn't required to make any deposit. Should I just go ahead and make payment for the first semester for visa purpose?

2. Can a place like House of Assembly of a state be my sponsor?

3. I completed my Nysc May last year and since then till now I haven't been employed because i decided to complete my ican (institute of chartered accountants of Nigeria) papers.. Is this a valid reason for staying unemployed?

4. When is the best time to apply for visa since the admission is for September resumption

5. What should be the minimum balance in the statement of account of my sponsor if mu sponsor was to be my mum.. Kindly note that the yearly tuition fee is around 6000 CAD..

I'd appreciate your candid advise and opinion...

Thanks once more guys.
Cheers.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by mcobex: 9:35pm On Feb 26, 2018
123baba:
I have gotten mail for passport submission, my course is 2 years, but my passport have less than a year Validity.. do i need to get another passport? Because i saw on the mail that my passport needs to be valid throughout
Congratulations bro, don't panic as you don't have any problem. You can only renew your passport when it is at least 6 months to expire, submit the one you have and it will be stamped then when you get to Canada you can renew your passport (at least 6 months to its expiry date) then go back to the immigration to get it stamped(study permit) again for the remainder of your study period.... All that will be done in Canada, so submit your passport ASAP to vfs office so you can get your trv

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Frankrobbn1: 9:36pm On Feb 26, 2018
DereI:

smiley

I can see the gurus are coming back gently. Welcome back Miss Derel.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by mcobex: 9:41pm On Feb 26, 2018
Kinfinity007:
How long does Canadian visa processing take?
www.cic.gc.ca will do justice to your question.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by mcobex: 10:00pm On Feb 26, 2018
faroouqq:
Hi guys.

I've been a silent reader on here but it's time i speak..firstly I want to Thank everyone for their contributions. The tips I got here for my Application was amazing...thanks guys...

Glory be to God University of Northern British Columbia offered me admission(MSc Business Administration) and I got my acceptance letter last Friday...Now regarding the study permit application tbh I'm really confused and I have few questions.

1. I wasn't required to make any deposit. Should I just go ahead and make payment for the first semester for visa purpose?

2. Can a place like House of Assembly of a state be my sponsor?

3. I completed my Nysc May last year and since then till now I haven't been employed because i decided to complete my ican (institute of chartered accountants of Nigeria) papers.. Is this a valid reason for staying unemployed?

4. When is the best time to apply for visa since the admission is for September resumption

5. What should be the minimum balance in the statement of account of my sponsor if mu sponsor was to be my mum.. Kindly note that the yearly tuition fee is around 6000 CAD..

I'd appreciate your candid advise and opinion...

Thanks once more guys.
Cheers.

1. Paying tuition fee doesn't guarantee you trv, some people just do it to show they have funds readily available. If you don't feel like paying no problem but make sure you show that the fund for your program (tuition and living expenses ) are with you (in your account) and you can transport it to Canada as soon as your trv is ready.
2. Yes they can but the best way for them to do it is to pay your tuition fee and send your living expenses into your personal account before you apply for your trv. They should also write a letter of support stating why they want to spend millions on you and "maybe" what they stand to gain in it.
3. Yes it is a valid reason not to be working but you must show proof (the certificate you got). You can tell them you needed to concentrate on your ican.
4. NOW!
5. Since your tuition is $6000 and your living expenses is at least $10,000, so that makes it at least $16000. The number of dependants your mum have apart from you will determine how much she needs to have, but it should be more than $16000(cos she and the dependants will eat and take care of themselves while you are schooling in Canada). Also she will have to show her source of fund so as to show the visa officer she can sustain herself, her dependant and you after the first year.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 26, 2018
Thank you very much I really appreciate... Can the house of assembly transfer both the tuition fees and the living expenses into my domiciliary account instead of paying cos the fee schedule for Sept 2108 isn't out yet

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by JoseJonn(f): 12:37am On Feb 27, 2018
jnyuwa02:

Refused to give you after you submitted original transcript? That doesn't sound like USASK. At any length do not be discouraged as there are other ways out. Simply apply with your conditional admission letter and enclose the original transcript to the VO. Some people have done so successfully.

Thanks Jeremy,
Yes I was asked to use d conditional acceptance letter. So I have my unofficial transcript on my fone. I'll Mk do with that then probably the email of receptance from Usask. Thank u

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by JoseJonn(f): 12:42am On Feb 27, 2018
OFFICIALAEL:

Hi! I don’t have a response to all you ask. Concerning your sponsor giving a break down of other dependants is totally optional. I just feel it’s good in SOME scenarios to help clear the VO’s thought of insufficient fund. The amount spent on academics for the other dependants in one year can be a rough estimate stated in one sentence. It doesn’t have to be broken down into details.
Thank you lael
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by JoseJonn(f): 12:48am On Feb 27, 2018
Prudento:

1. please how did u get to send ur original transcript with NOn academic staff on strike!
2. What deadline did Usask give u to submit the transcript?
3. Did they give u funding and which course?

It was just God. Funny enof it was on d Monday the strike begun I applied. I know some heads at the transcript office so they immediately helped me process it and it was sent by dhl on Tuesday.(Unilag)
Usask just advised that it be sent in time
No funding. M.A Philosophy.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 1:12am On Feb 27, 2018
@mcobex Thank you very much I really appreciate... Can the house of assembly transfer both the tuition fees and the living expenses into my domiciliary account instead of paying cos the fee schedule for Sept 2108 isn't out yet
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 1:19am On Feb 27, 2018
Prudento:

This stuff gave me stomach butterflies when USASK said if admitted it would be conditional upon sending transcript. Please who knows about USASK and their deadline for transcript submission?

There is no deadline, you can submit official transcript at anytime until you physically arrive on campus. However, you won't be able to register for classes, a block will be olaced on your account until original transcript is received. Once official transcript is received, block will be lifted and official letter of acceptance issued. You can use official letter to apply for visa or if using conditional acceptance, prove to the VO that you can meet the condition placed on your acceptance letter.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Doraries: 4:47am On Feb 27, 2018
Thank you for the advices Bosses @Slik07, @Maziude and @Frankrobbn1. I studied BSc Mass Communication (2:1) and MBA (Distinction).
From your responses, I guess going for a PhD in management will be better though Sept 2019 looks so far away plus the thought of writing GMAT/GRE and getting the required score is angry cry. Well, whatever is worth doing is worth doing well...

1. No. You dont need GRE for PhD admission. It's mostly MBA admission that requires GMAT/GRE. What'll boost your chances is to publish paper(s) on an impact factor-based journal. That paper stands as your research experience and capabilities. If you've not published any paper, dont stress yourself. You can still get PhD offer without it. Most schools in Canada offer funding for PhD especially Engineering students. A school with low budget as MUN offers minimum of CAD$19, 000 for PhD engineering students and CAD$16, 000 for MEng students per year.

2. Yes because you're not on ground, it's a bit difficult but not impossible to get a supervisor. I would advise you check the department of the course you want to apply for. Read the areas of research of the professors and their journals before you email them. Pls, avoid generic emails. Tailor their emails to suit their research interests. Dont go about boasting of your high CGPA. Dont go begging or acting desperate. Simply tell them the value you can add to their research group. The contributions you can make if s/he agrees to supervise you.

3. I'm not sure. But you can quickly go and fill pre-qualification form for USASK now. It takes 10 weeks for them to get back to you. Once you're picked, admission is assured whether you contacted a supervisor or not. Pls, dont make mistake in filling the form esp the supervisor part. It's automatic disqualification if you do. You can also check Ryerson, Western, Queen's Universities etc.

The new immigration law in the UK according to @zan1999 is the Tier 2 visa. After graduation, you can apply for Tier 2 visa to remain in the UK for 24 months.

Best of luck![/quote]
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Doraries: 4:52am On Feb 27, 2018
Thank you for the advices Bosses @Slik07, @Maziude and @Frankrobbn1. I studied BSc Mass Communication (2:1) and MBA (Distinction).
From your responses, I guess going for a PhD in management will be better though Sept 2019 looks so far away plus the thought of writing GMAT/GRE and getting the required score is angry cry. Well, whatever is worth doing is worth doing well...
Slik07:

1. No. You dont need GRE for PhD admission. It's mostly MBA admission that requires GMAT/GRE. What'll boost your chances is to publish paper(s) on an impact factor-based journal. That paper stands as your research experience and capabilities. If you've not published any paper, dont stress yourself. You can still get PhD offer without it. Most schools in Canada offer funding for PhD especially Engineering students. A school with low budget as MUN offers minimum of CAD$19, 000 for PhD engineering students and CAD$16, 000 for MEng students per year.

2. Yes because you're not on ground, it's a bit difficult but not impossible to get a supervisor. I would advise you check the department of the course you want to apply for. Read the areas of research of the professors and their journals before you email them. Pls, avoid generic emails. Tailor their emails to suit their research interests. Dont go about boasting of your high CGPA. Dont go begging or acting desperate. Simply tell them the value you can add to their research group. The contributions you can make if s/he agrees to supervise you.

3. I'm not sure. But you can quickly go and fill pre-qualification form for USASK now. It takes 10 weeks for them to get back to you. Once you're picked, admission is assured whether you contacted a supervisor or not. Pls, dont make mistake in filling the form esp the supervisor part. It's automatic disqualification if you do. You can also check Ryerson, Western, Queen's Universities etc.

The new immigration law in the UK according to @zan1999 is the Tier 2 visa. After graduation, you can apply for Tier 2 visa to remain in the UK for 24 months.

Best of luck!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Doraries: 4:53am On Feb 27, 2018
maziude:

Hello boss,

If you go online, there are lots of courses these days that deal with project management and every other field related to it. So a VO might reason along this line. So doing applying for a PGD in Project Management might raise flags.

Going for another masters has to be justified when you eventually get accepted and are applying for your VISA. Meaning, you will need to put in extra work to convince the VO, that you are indeed a genuine student.

Now for the PhD application; If you will be kind to share your education background then people might be able to weigh in and give you the accurate advice.

But in general, for PhD, you would need to have a research goal and idea in mind. In most cases, you need to secure a supervisor who is willing to accept you. That is where the task is. There is no one rule fits all for supervisor search. But as a basis, you need to have formed a research intent (What area of your intended discipline are you looking at?) Is there any professor that is working in that area or field or in a closely related area? If there are you should contact them with your CV, Research purpose or why you wont to go into that field, your educational history and transcript.

NB: Some professors will respond, others wont respond. But you still have to carry on sending tailored emails.

If you read back, there couple of techniques posted by members of this forum with respect to contacting professors/supervisors. You should avail yourself of such information.

Again, I understand you want to get all your bases covered first before the VISA application steps, but I would encourage you to just make up your mind and do that which you think will work best for you (PGD, Masters or PhD) and apply fast. Time is running out. When you get to the VISA application bridge, you cross that.

Again, it is not an easy process but if you persevere, you would surely get it right.

PS: The above is also applicable to every intending applicant.

I cannot go through SOPs now especially if it is urgent as I have deadlines to catch up with.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Olaneeran: 5:04am On Feb 27, 2018
Good morning Seniors,

Pls advise on the below:

I completed my N.D (Business Studies) in 2013, I am currently in my late 20's, and, I have being working as a safety officer after my N.D in program up till date.

1. With the above, am I qualified to apply for a post graduate program in Canada?

2. If yes, which canadian uni offers health & safety mgt PGD programs?

Thanking u all for ur support.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Evad(m): 6:35am On Feb 27, 2018
Haven't been here in a minute, anyone at YorkU or coming to YorkU? Let's connect.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by capsule(m): 6:52am On Feb 27, 2018
It was just God. Funny enof it was on d Monday the strike begun I applied. I know some heads at the transcript office so they immediately helped me process it and it was sent by dhl on Tuesday.(Unilag)
Usask just advised that it be sent in time
No funding. M.A Philosophy.

did you secure a supervisor before applying? @ Josejonn
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Asapant: 7:57am On Feb 27, 2018
Good morning blessed people..

I need an answer form you guys. I'm having bsc studied mass communication. I plan apply to Algonquin college to study broadcasting.. I'm having 2 internship completion letter from botH Ogun state radio and Family FM respectively. Hope the V.O won't think my am tryna do i too know by submitting 2 letters from 2 different broadcast stations. Or I just submit one letter ?..
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 8:25am On Feb 27, 2018
Doraries:

Check universities like Queen's, Victoria, Windsor, Ryerson, York etc., to know their deadlines. Email the admission officers in these schools. Dont conclude until you have a first hand info...
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 8:35am On Feb 27, 2018
Olaneeran:
Good morning Seniors,

Pls advise on the below:

I completed my N.D (Business Studies) in 2013, I am currently in my late 20's, and, I have being working as a safety officer after my N.D in program up till date.

1. With the above, am I qualified to apply for a post graduate program in Canada?

2. If yes, which canadian uni offers health & safety mgt PGD programs?

Thanking u all for ur support.

Check the admission requirements for Graduate Diploma in Safety and Risk engineering at MUN. it is a two-year program.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by myelims: 8:52am On Feb 27, 2018
Hi

anyone in or going to University of Guelph here pls.

Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by aamstih: 10:30am On Feb 27, 2018
Hi guys,

Pls can anyone suggest schools that they know that their admission window for fall 2018 is still open?

I am currently doing same on google.

Is it late for USASk? Mailed them but no reply yet.

Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 10:36am On Feb 27, 2018
aamstih:
Hi guys,

Pls can anyone suggest schools that they know that their admission window for fall 2018 is still open?

I am currently doing same on google.

Is it late for USASk? Mailed them but no reply yet.

Thanks

University of Ottawa many programs deadline is in May 1st. February 1st USASK deadlines closed for the year and Admissions decisions coming out March 1st.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by makano: 10:51am On Feb 27, 2018
I actually explained in my previous SOP the reason I wanted to study in Canada, maybe it wasnt convincing enough, dunno. Also I provided proof of fund for a year because i actaully attached the receipt for the fee with my previous Application. Am just surprised why I was still rejected. Thanks for your Input
mcobex:
This is purpose of visit and fund issue. You didn't explain well in your sop why you intend schooling in Canada and not here in Nigeria as there are schools offering same course here and it's cheaper. Also you didn't provide proof of fund for your program(after the first year).. The travel history to me is just as a result of the first two, tackle those two and travel history will be taken care of
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 12:07pm On Feb 27, 2018
Am scheduled for Skye chat with my potential supervisor in Canadian university this week I beg advise me
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 12:13pm On Feb 27, 2018
olugere:
Am scheduled for Skye chat with my potential supervisor in Canadian university this week I beg advise me

Don't stress or overly prepare. It would be informal dialogue on your interests. I had such interview and prepared all day to address Nigeria's healthcare policy before my then potential supervisor. But the questions I got was how I was doing and how was the weather in Nigeria and what my academic interests are and whether I planned to do PHd after finishing masters. The school tried to sell itself to me and I had planned all day selling myself to them. How ironical. My supervisor even used the opportunity to show me live pictures of the campus lawn and tress and beautiful environment. All from his office window. My one advice is be yourself. If you are good in unprepared dialogue, you got this. Best of luck!

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 27, 2018
olugere:

If you're going for a PhD, I would advise you to prepare and be ready for the interview. This could make or mar your chances.

A PhD supervisor that calls you on skype is going to know your project plan. S/he would want to see your ability to understand literature as well as your way of thinking and methodology with regards to your research area. S/he would want to know the reason(s) you want to enrol in your program of interest. Questions like would you want to publish papers may be asked. These are the things expected from a PhD candidate. So, nothing to be scared about.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 1:57pm On Feb 27, 2018
Thanks bros,

I am actually going for PhD but when I did not get reply I change to master telling them I want to do another master degree, I have published a paper in master thesis

I want to even reject the time because that day is my BEA exam in ibadan

How do I tell her that the day is not okay

Slik07:

If you're going for a PhD, I would advise you to prepare and be ready for the interview. This could make or mar your chances.

A PhD supervisor that calls you on skype is going to know your project plan. S/he would want to see your ability to understand literature as well as your way of thinking and methodology with regards to your research area. S/he would want to know the reason(s) you want to enrol in your program of interest. Questions like would you want to publish papers may be asked. These are the things expected from a PhD candidate. So, nothing to be scared about.

Best of luck.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 2:00pm On Feb 27, 2018
Slik07:

Best of luck.

I think the thesis proposal they got that from and want to only clarify a few things. Most skype chats I have seen are mostly informal conversations. For a school to initiate a Skype chat usually means that they are already sold and willing to have you on board. It happened to me and recently to a friend only last week. All led to offers.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 2:09pm On Feb 27, 2018
olugere:
Thanks bros,

I am actually going for PhD but when I did not get reply I change to master telling them I want to do another master degree, I have published a paper in master thesis

I want to even reject the time because that day is my BEA exam in ibadan

How do I tell her that the day is not okay

You can politely tell her to reschedule the skype interview that you've urgent appointment that day. Most supervisors would ask you to pick a date after giving you the days they're free.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nogen: 2:36pm On Feb 27, 2018
alexdell1234:
I got mail for passport submission, my course duration is 2 years, but my passport have less than a year Validity.. do i need to get another passport? Because i saw on the mail that my passport needs to be valid throughout
Please quickly get a new passport if not, your trv will only last the validity of your passport.

(1) (2) (3) ... (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) ... (501)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 / UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa / Qualified Teacher Route

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.