Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) (29694 Views)

Bag Snatcher Caught In Delta State While On The Run (Photos) / Bag Snatcher Caught In Onitsha, Beaten To Pulp By Mob (Graphic Photos) / 23-year-old Bag Snatcher Nabbed During Failed Operation In Lagos. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by maasoap(m): 5:17pm On Jul 29, 2017
LordOfNaira:

Stop saying nonsense, please. What do you know about 50-50 chance? Were the thieves armed? Did they point a gun at the policemen? Did they hold anyone to ransom?
They were escaping. They had to be prevented from escaping by any means necessary. No judge can find the police officer guilty.
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by shallar1(m): 6:56pm On Jul 29, 2017
Me77:
Why not shoot at the tyres of the motorcycle? Or better still shot at his legs?
When does snatching handbags become death sentence?
Nigeria police are very good at killing armless criminals. But they can't confront armed gang robbers and them baddo groups.

Imagine, reasoning from anus
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by Sexina851(f): 6:59pm On Jul 29, 2017
LordOfNaira:

Stop saying nonsense, please. What do you know about 50-50 chance? Were the thieves armed? Did they point a gun at the policemen? Did they hold anyone to ransom?

You sound like a thief too,if not why are you so paranoid? Anyway should the latter be true I advise you u to be careful cos u might just be the next
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by Sexina851(f): 7:03pm On Jul 29, 2017
BumbleBee2ice:

No mind d man, pple around dat area shld thank their stars that d bullet didn't come in their directions instead.
That chanced shot could av been received by anyone.

Exactly, cos police can misfire in many cases
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by Apexdon(m): 7:20pm On Jul 29, 2017
djemillionia:
RIP
How can he rest in peace?
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by LordOfNaira: 11:59pm On Jul 29, 2017
maasoap:

They were escaping. They had to be prevented from escaping by any means necessary. No judge can find the police officer guilty.

This country is messed up. No wonder the useless police are always quick to cock their guns at the slightest. No discipline. And it is so sad that the civilians are happy with it. Do you know the rules of engagement in saner climes. Police fire only out of self-defense or to protect a citizen or a facility or against an armed person or persons. The thieves were running away, not bringing out a weapon. They were running away. Can't the police make a chase? Even the Thai police will never behave like this. Shoot and kill a thief running away.
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by LordOfNaira: 12:18am On Jul 30, 2017
Sexina851:

You sound like a thief too,if not why are you so paranoid? Anyway should the latter be true I advise you u to be careful cos u might just be the next

How does a thief sound? So because I mentioned the incompetence of the police, that makes me sounding like a thief? So the Americans who criticized the abuse of the bodies of some Iraqi militants by some Marines were talking like Iraqi militants abi? Did I not support that policeman who gunned down an ARMED robber some months back? I supported that policeman because he had to fire against an armed man. He fired, first to protect the banking facility and also in self defense.

As for this case, no matter how you try to see it, it is just totally bad. You don't gun down a a bag snatcher who is not armed, who is not a threat, who is running away. A bag snatcher just wants to snatch a bag and get away. The expected thing for the police to do is to give a chase and make an arrest without taking a life except when necessaryy. In saner climes, the police do not fire anyhow. There is always a reasonable cause to take a life. Yes, there was a thief but the thief was also a human being. He was not armed, he was not trying to harm anyone. Why kill him because of a bag? If the thief was armed, it would be a different case because the police would have to consider a 50-50 chance: He will kill me if I don't kill him or he would kill that gentleman if I don't kill him or he would blow up that place if I don't kill him. But in this case, the thieves were only trying to get away. Why not chase them and get them instead of killing?

We should stop making excuses for our shitty police. Nowhere in the world would the citizen praise this. Nowhere! Even in the cases of armed faceoffs, the police still always approach the business with the utmost care not to waste anyone's life. But here, we do not value lives.
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by Sexina851(f): 1:23am On Jul 30, 2017
LordOfNaira:

How does a thief sound? So because I mentioned the incompetence of the police, that makes me sounding like a thief? So the Americans who criticized the abuse of the bodies of some Iraqi militants by some Marines were talking like Iraqi militants abi? Did I not support that policeman who gunned down an ARMED robber some months back? I supported that policeman because he had to fire against an armed man. He fired, first to protect the banking facility and also in self defense.

As for this case, no matter how you try to see it, it is just totally bad. You don't gun down a a bag snatcher who is not armed, who is not a threat, who is running away. A bag snatcher just wants to snatch a bag and get away. The expected thing for the police to do is to give a chase and make an arrest without taking a life except when necessaryy. In saner climes, the police do not fire anyhow. There is always a reasonable cause to take a life. Yes, there was a thief but the thief was also a human being. He was not armed, he was not trying to harm anyone. Why kill him because of a bag? If the thief was armed, it would be a different case because the police would have to consider a 50-50 chance: He will kill me if I don't kill him or he would kill that gentleman if I don't kill him or he would blow up that place if I don't kill him. But in this case, the thieves were only trying to get away. Why not chase them and get them instead of killing?

We should stop making excuses for our shitty police. Nowhere in the world would the citizen praise this. Nowhere! Even in the cases of armed faceoffs, the police still always approach the business with the utmost care not to waste anyone's life. But here, we do not value lives.

The wages of Sin is death
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by LordOfNaira: 7:37am On Jul 30, 2017
Sexina851:

The wages of Sin is death

But have you never "sinned" before?

My dear, even though I am not a Christian, I do know the above quote is not to be taken in the literal sense.

Now back to the story. Let us look at it. It's not right in anyway, no matter how you look at it. The thieves were running away, why kill them? Was firing to kill the last option? Well, I am not surprised. The useless police have been known to kill unarmed drivers and conductors over 20 naira. They are just as undisciplined as that. If you people continue to support this recklessness, the police would continue to remain in this poor level. They will soon start gunning people down for simply running. That was how they gunned down a guy for running after they had stopped him on the suspicion that he was a fraudster. Do they think their guns are just to be fired anyhow? Do they know that lives, even the life of a bag snatcher, is precious and should be protected except in cases where the action of the thief might cost the life of an innocent person? Do they know that in sane countries, policemen only fire to kill when options are closed? I am not a thief, I just want to have a police that I would be proud of. A police that is well-trained to deal with situations as they present themselves, not a police that deals with every situation the same way (kill even if the thief is unarmed and is running away).

Lastly, the sad thing about this whole thing is that if the thieves were armed, the policemen may have even run away.
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by LordOfNaira: 8:06am On Jul 30, 2017
maasoap:

In case you didn't know, let me educate you. If you resist arrest, no matter your offence, police have right to shoot at you.
How sure are you that they are armless criminals?

They don't have the right to shoot you except they feel that your actions will be a threat to your life or the policeman's life or other people's lives or state facilities or people's properties. Educate yourself. It is not about resisting arrest. The concern is if the resistance would be a threat to lives (including the thief's) and properties.
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by maasoap(m): 8:20am On Jul 30, 2017
LordOfNaira:

This country is messed up. No wonder the useless police are always quick to cock their guns at the slightest. No discipline. And it is so sad that the civilians are happy with it. Do you know the rules of engagement in saner climes.
Police fire only out of self-defense or to protect a citizen or a facility or against an armed person or persons. The thieves were running away, not bringing out a weapon. They were running away. Can't the police make a chase? Even the Thai police will never behave like this. Shoot and kill a thief running away.
I would rather be happy seeing robbers/armed robbers killed by the police than the usual accidental discharges.
>Rules of engagement in saner climes? Tell me. In the USA, police officers would kill you simply for not doing as you're being commanded. And here, we're talking about a successful robbery and robbers that almost escaped.
>Where did you read that crap that police can't shoot at escaping robbers/armed robbers, that they can only shoot in self defence?
>Use legs to chase escaping robbers who were on the bike? Okay o.
>Why don't you find time and talk to any high ranking police officer you could and find out about what could happen to someone who is trying to escape an arrest, then about thieves trying to escape on a speeding bike instead of all these emotional outburst?
Before, I didn't know that I could get killed constitutionally/lawfully for evading an arrest. But I when I knew this, my perception changed. And here, we're talking about thieves.

1 Like

Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by maasoap(m): 8:26am On Jul 30, 2017
LordOfNaira:

They don't have the right to shoot you except they feel that your actions will be a threat to your life or the policeman's life or other people's lives or state facilities or people's properties. Educate yourself. It is not about resisting arrest. The concern is if the resistance would be a threat to lives (including the thief's) and properties.
You need this education more than me on the subject matter. Police have constitutional duty to prevent robbery, to stop robbers from escaping by any means necessary. You have to let go this opinion of yours that police only carry guns for self defence only.
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by LordOfNaira: 8:35am On Jul 30, 2017
maasoap:

You need this education more than me on the subject matter. Police have constitutional duty to prevent robbery, to stop robbers from escaping by any means necessary. You have to let go this opinion of yours that police only carry guns for self defence only.

I have worked as a parole officer and I know very well how things work.

Please, do not deliberately misquote me. I don't take much liking to it. I never said guns are carried only for self defense. I mentioned threats to other people's lives (I mentioned things other than self defense in my mention of your post). Even in saner countries, police carry non-lethal weapons and the guns are not always quickly fired.
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by Boyooosa(m): 9:15am On Jul 30, 2017
that one wey no die don suffer cheesy and he just barb in hair b4 he go rub ni o! shocked O ma shay fun Desperado o! sad.
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by MOSICATED5(m): 10:06am On Jul 30, 2017
LordOfNaira:

An armed robber is armed.

A Badoo kills.

A bag snatcher is just a bag snatcher. He may not even get up to five months and (a warning that he should never do it again) if he was taken to court.
when he has snatch enough bags then he can get money to buy arms. Anybody that can snatch a bag is an armed robber, how are u sure he was not with a gun, pistol or dager.. Just pray I don't fall a victim some day. If that woman was on a lonely path that guy can harm her. Have u even tot about the fact that the guys had d boldness to snatch in front of a bank, doesn't that tell u there were armed. And mind u, a maggot cube thief can get 5 years in prison. Follow ur sentence cases of street criminals in Nigeria bro
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by Igweann979(f): 12:41pm On Jul 30, 2017
Me77:
Why not shoot at the tyres of the motorcycle? Or better still shot at his legs?
When does snatching handbags become death sentence?
Nigeria police are very good at killing armless criminals. But they can't confront armed gang robbers and them baddo groups.
you are a fool for saying that! who is even sure if you are not the second person and I pray that the same thing happens to you soon embarassed
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by ModsWillKillNL: 4:18pm On Jul 30, 2017
LordOfNaira:

In what law is it written that a thief does not deserve to live?

Nigeria's law.
Re: Police Kill Bag Snatcher In Lagos (Graphic Photos) by Sexina851(f): 5:58pm On Jul 30, 2017
LordOfNaira:

But have you never "sinned" before?

My dear, even though I am not a Christian, I do know the above quote is not to be taken in the literal sense.

Now back to the story. Let us look at it. It's not right in anyway, no matter how you look at it. The thieves were running away, why kill them? Was firing to kill the last option? Well, I am not surprised. The useless police have been known to kill unarmed drivers and conductors over 20 naira. They are just as undisciplined as that. If you people continue to support this recklessness, the police would continue to remain in this poor level. They will soon start gunning people down for simply running. That was how they gunned down a guy for running after they had stopped him on the suspicion that he was a fraudster. Do they think their guns are just to be fired anyhow? Do they know that lives, even the life of a bag snatcher, is precious and should be protected except in cases where the action of the thief might cost the life of an innocent person? Do they know that in sane countries, policemen only fire to kill when options are closed? I am not a thief, I just want to have a police that I would be proud of. A police that is well-trained to deal with situations as they present themselves, not a police that deals with every situation the same way (kill even if the thief is unarmed and is running away).

Lastly, the sad thing about this whole thing is that if the thieves were armed, the policemen may have even run away.

I understand wat u saying, but it was likely to happen. What if the police were actually aiming at the tire of the bike? What if it was karma dat redirected the bullet? Cos am sure that's not their first time, neither is it their second,so dey knew wat was involved and dey took their chances

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pastor And Three Others Caught With Human Skull In Ogun / PDP Youth Leader Killed In Kaduna / Cultism: Rival Lagos Schoolboys Clash In Meiran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.