Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? (2927 Views)

1 Year Old Straight Back GSD Needs New Owner. Not For Sale. / ALL SOLD 8 Month Female Slant And 11 Months Straight Gsd And 3 Month Male Pitb / How Do We Stop Dog And Cat Nipping (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by Greene66: 12:06am On Jul 30, 2017
When I wanted to get my first solo pet, earlier this year, my good friend told me to head for a Rottweiler. I am a lover of GSD. When I was a kid, my Dad(Worked in the Army) brought home 2 Big dogs from the barracks. Till date he never mentioned if he bought them or someone gave him. They were 6 months old each. I named them Shadow and Sledge because 1 was too black (Black German Shepherd). They were fantastic German Shepherd dogs (Back then I didn't know their breed names. I was only 7).

But there was something about them, they were STRAIGHT! Whenever they bark as they grew up, you feel this vibration. This authoritative challenge they throw at anybody they see near our house. When I was 10 years, anytime I go running an errand I tag Shadow along (The black one was my favorite). I see how people clear the way when I pass. How people go another way when a small boy like me was passing. I felt like my dad carrying a gun.

Fast forward to 16 years later. I want to buy my own dog so I went straight for the German Shepherd because I just love them. I can't help It. But what do I find everywhere?

Crippled dogs the marketers call Slant Backs.

Then I started asking myself:

- What happened to the original working German Shepherd dogs?
- What happened to those fit and smart looking wicked dogs?
- What happened to those gallant dogs that could jump the balcony railings or even Jump so high to attack you?

Even the so called straight today are not real GSD. They are mixture. People Now tag the Slant Back as a pure breed. OMG, since when?

The Original German Shepherd that was used to shepherd sheep and scare away wolves was a Straight Back. Not slant. But today slant yapa 4 street.

I went very far to get a Straight GSD. I almost got a Mali mix until my partner who is a dog lover and a Vet student told me it was a mix and showed me a clean Straight GSD. Though not pedigree but it's far better than the mixtures or the cripple.

So this message goes out to breeders out there... Please let's save the Straight Back GSD. Now I am in search looking for the straight back DDR GSD. So I can breed this wonderful Dog and save it's breed. Before people start slanting the DDR too.

We can't afford to fail the GSD. Everyone is carrying Caucasians about, Rottweiler and so on but the little GSD we have left let's save it's pride and honor. How can a dog be standing and it looks as if he is pooing. How do people enjoy this thing? How will a dog be standing and his tail be touching the floor when he isn't a frog or something. How do people look at this thing and call it pure? A dog that looks up and it feels like it's sitting down. That isn't a GSD to me.

GSD has lost its 'working' title for sure. Today it's all about display and show off and what sells. Definitely the slant back sells that's why people breed it leaving the REAL GSD to die. Please don't tell me you have a slant back that is working oh no.. You can't tell me. Let me see it 'work'.

Please breeders and owners, let's save this breed. If you have a Straight GSD i think you should produce more of what you have. If you have a DDR GSD that is Straight please produce more of what you have.

Make no mistake, I'm not talking about Pedigree or Market here. Pedigree is paper. I'm talking about Love and Respect for a dying breed. The same dog you would most likely keep in a cage all its life. No be naija we dey? A dog you would most likely sell once you get transferred at your place of work. So this isn't about show off. This is about saving a breed we love.

If you are not a GSD lover I don't expect you to understand but as a dog lover in general you should get the point.

If we don't do this then we have failed the breed and can as well tag the Straight GSD ekuke. sad

Hope I made sense.

cry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by odiereke(m): 12:53am On Jul 30, 2017
Yeah, you made more than sense. Nice write up.

2 Likes

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by tuoyo9729(m): 1:28am On Jul 30, 2017
Nice bro
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by Charley2020: 7:40am On Jul 30, 2017
The slant looks wonderful in my opinion. In fact, I love it. It differentiates the GSD from all other dogs and it doesn't affect their performance. Slant GSDs work. They're used for protection and police work by both individuals and cops alike in developed countries like the US. GSDs just look beautiful with the slant. #LoveSlantBacks grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 30, 2017
I am a lover of the Straight Back Pure German GSD.
The slant to me looks like an over loaded vehicle.
Straight back, I love em.

5 Likes

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by GURION: 1:43pm On Jul 30, 2017
I feel your pain too.

Have been unable to get a dog for many years now. For me, it has to be a pedigree/respectable long-coat GSD, or nothing. All I see from breeders are frogs that are passed off as so-called GSD.

1 Like

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by PAQ(m): 2:03pm On Jul 30, 2017
You made sense, a sense known by some of us too but of no effect to the dying gsd of old. The emergence of the slant back gsd did not start here in Nigeria, its was influenced by breeders abroad for showmanship.

Max Von Stephanitz is the German breeder who is considered the "father" of GSD, and in his book he descibed the GSD to have a back that is straight and powerfull, curvature of the spine diminishes the power of endurance and speed.

GSD loyalist now call slant backs a dog in front and frog in back. As years go by the gsd gets even more slanted. Other breeds of shepherd dogs have maintained their straight form over the years, and many are still working dogs, unlike the GSD that has gone from a shepherd dog to a police dog, army dog, lap dog, show dog etc leading to many breeding practices trying to alter what was an already perfect breed.

Here in Nigeria, the GSD is the most bastardized breed. So people looking forward to owning a GSD look out for only slant backs as a standard for pure breed. The Alsatian is also a GSD, but created in America. The breeder wanted a larger bulkier looking GSD with a straight back. That remains an option for straight back GSD's.

1 Like

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by Namdeenero(m): 2:56pm On Jul 30, 2017
PAQ:
You made sense, a sense known by some of us too but of no effect to the dying gsd of old. The emergence of the slant back gsd did not start here in Nigeria, its was influenced by breeders abroad for showmanship.

Max Von Stephanitz is the German breeder who is considered the "father" of GSD, and in his book he descibed the GSD to have a back that is straight and powerfull, curvature of the spine diminishes the power of endurance and speed.

GSD loyalist now call slant backs a dog in front and frog in back. As years go by the gsd gets even more slanted. Other breeds of shepherd dogs have maintained their straight form over the years, and many are still working dogs, unlike the GSD that has gone from a shepherd dog to a police dog, army dog, lap dog, show dog etc leading to many breeding practices trying to alter what was an already perfect breed.

Here in Nigeria, the GSD is the most bastardized breed. So people looking forward to owning a GSD look out for only slant backs as a standard for pure breed. The Alsatian is also a GSD, but created in America. The breeder wanted a larger bulkier looking GSD with a straight back. That remains an option for straight back GSD's.
What?
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by Namdeenero(m): 3:01pm On Jul 30, 2017
Nice article bro, I'd prefer a DDR to a slant Gsd any day any time. However I think the slant these days are mostly for show
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by horlams: 4:40pm On Jul 30, 2017
If only there is/was anything like 'slant' or 'straight back'. What we have is working or showline. These lines have peculiarities and I'll encourage people here, including the op to do an unbiased research into each line.

The showlines (American,Canadian and West German) were bred for 'show'

The working lines (West German, East German DDR, Czech...) were bred to 'work'. Most of these lines have deviated from the original standards.

Many people here can barely walk their dogs daily talkless of work it. You don't have time for a dog and you want an high energy dog. Most people keep their dogs in cages,fenced compounds or on chain for most their lifes. Until this change,an average Nigerian gsd lover should just go for a low energy showline gsd.

2 Likes

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by oluomoadebayo: 4:51pm On Jul 30, 2017
Charley2020:
The slant looks wonderful in my opinion. In fact, I love it. It differentiates the GSD from all other dogs and it doesn't affect their performance. Slant GSDs work. They're used for protection and police work by both individuals and cops alike in developed countries like the US. GSDs just look beautiful with the slant. #LoveSlantBacks grin

This is not true.

1 Like

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by oluomoadebayo: 4:57pm On Jul 30, 2017
horlams:
If only there is/was anything like 'slant' or 'straight back'. What we have is working or showline. These lines have peculiarities and I'll encourage people here, including the op to do an unbiased research into each line.

The working lines (West German, East German DDR, Czech...) were bred to 'work'. Most of these lines have deviated from the original standards.

Many people here can barely walk their dogs daily talkless of work it. You don't have time for a dog and you want an high energy dog. Most people keep their dogs in cages,fenced compounds or on chain for most their lifes. Until this change,an average Nigerian gsd lover should just go for a low energy showline gsd.

You are very correct sir. I'm an advocate of working dogs but I'm wary of who I'm selling a dog to because your lifestyle matters. It is cruel and unfair to cage a proper GSD 24/7

2 Likes

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by horlams: 5:11pm On Jul 30, 2017
oluomoadebayo:

You are very correct sir. I'm an advocate of working dogs but I'm wary of who I'm selling a dog to because your lifestyle matters. It is cruel and unfair to cage a proper GSD 24/7

Aptly stated my oga. Find a dog that fits your lifestyle.

1 Like

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by GURION: 6:37pm On Jul 30, 2017
oluomoadebayo:

Absolutely on point.

1 Like

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by Greene66: 11:23pm On Jul 30, 2017
Charley2020:

This one just weak me cry

2 Likes

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by Perciel: 10:20pm On Aug 01, 2017
Olisafincy rears some honest DDR German shephards, at least some hope there, quite the sight for sore eyes.
BTW Greene, cmon open a thread for your huskies, never seen them, u have never shared photos of those lovelies. grin

1 Like

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by egorov(m): 10:32pm On Aug 01, 2017
Slant back is a deformity that has been overly celebrated. It makes the dull sluggish that's y u can never see a slant back GSD being used for police work. I love gsd, my best breed, but I prefer the straight back gsd.....I take my time to breed excellent ones.
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by DipoAy(m): 12:34am On Aug 05, 2017
Finally. Someone that sees my point. Whenever I check out a so called "slant back", I always feel for the dog. Looking all crippled and shit. That's my own GSd Very Straight backed.

4 Likes

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by olisafincy(m): 1:33am On Aug 05, 2017
It depends on what you want, good German shepherds are available in Nigeria in quantity and quality ,either West GSD, East GSD (DDR) and Czech DDR.
This is Robby of Household not even one of the best in Nigeria .
100% DDR

1 Like

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by olisafincy(m): 1:34am On Aug 05, 2017
Quality GSD are still in Nigeria, Thanks to the top bosses who are keeping the hopes alive.

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by olisafincy(m): 1:36am On Aug 05, 2017
DipoAy:
Finally. Someone that sees my point. Whenever I check out a so called "slant back", I always feel for the dog. Looking all crippled and shit. That's my own GSd Very Straight backed.
Straight back has always been my thing.
I'm a fan of DDR GSD
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by rumenase(m): 4:26am On Aug 05, 2017
horlams:

well said. I have a friend who has a straight back GSD(7 months) that has never left it's cage to me that's wickedness all in the name of he wants it to be aggressive as common with most Nigerians.
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by Greene66: 6:09am On Aug 05, 2017
rumenase:

well said. I have a friend who has a straight back GSD(7 months) that has never left it's cage to me that's wickedness all in the name of he wants it to be aggressive as common with most Nigerians.

That is sadistic. My own 7/8 months GSD doesn't stay in cage. He lives in the house with me. He is a beast.
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by olisafincy(m): 11:18am On Aug 05, 2017
rumenase:

Ask him to give away the dog if he can't take care of it.

2 Likes

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by rumenase(m): 1:35pm On Aug 05, 2017
olisafincy:

Ask him to give away the dog if he can't take care of it.

@ olisafincy & @ greene66 he thinks feeding a dog is all that matters
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by Greene66: 4:28pm On Aug 05, 2017
rumenase:

@ olisafincy & @ greene66 he thinks feeding a dog is all that matters

This is the actual mentality of many dog owners in Nigeria. They think it's all about feeding the dog.

1 Like

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by oluomoadebayo: 5:34pm On Aug 06, 2017
Greene66:

This is the actual mentality of many dog owners in Nigeria. They think it's all about feeding the dog.

The problem is not with people or breeders of slant bank in this country but with people with the so called DDR or other working breeds. It makes no difference when your goal is to keep your dog on the leash but release for security at night. We need to take it to them the reason DDR is better by showing off our workout routine either by pictures or videos, this will give more awareness other than showing a nice dog on the chain.

3 Likes

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by olisafincy(m): 3:42pm On Aug 13, 2017
oluomoadebayo:

The problem is not with people or breeders of slant bank in this country but with people with the so called DDR or other working breeds. It makes no difference when your goal is to keep your dog on the leash but release for security at night. We need to take it to them the reason DDR is better by showing off our workout routine either by pictures or videos, this will give more awareness other than showing a nice dog on the chain.

Breeders of the DDR are doing there job to keep the breed here in Nigeria, while others are using them for service in various department.
About the leash, it's just for photograph.
Anybody who goes for this breed acquires them for a purpose, I acquired for a suppose and I've derived utmost satisfaction.
The awareness is spreading, everybody now wants a DDR GSD.
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by oluomoadebayo: 3:59pm On Aug 13, 2017
olisafincy:

Breeders of the DDR are doing there job to keep the breed here in Nigeria, while others are using them for service in various department.
About the leash, it's just for photograph.
Anybody who goes for this breed acquires them for a purpose, I acquired for a suppose and I've derived utmost satisfaction.
The awareness is spreading, everybody now wants a DDR GSD.

Why is everybody wants a DDR?

Is it because the criticism the slant back is facing? If yes, that's for a wrong reason. DDR is no different to another working dog breeds that have the good and bad ones. The only way to know the good ones is by working them out.

Breeding shouldn't be the main reason of acquiring a good dog, otherwise, the breed will go to extinction in no time.

I see no point in buying a working dog without working him, just my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by olisafincy(m): 12:23am On Aug 14, 2017
oluomoadebayo:

Why is everybody wants a DDR?

Is it because the criticism the slant back is facing? If yes, that's for a wrong reason. DDR is no different to another working dog breeds that have the good and bad ones. The only way to know the good ones is by working them out.

Breeding shouldn't be the main reason of acquiring a good dog, otherwise, the breed will go to extinction in no time.

I see no point in buying a working dog without working him, just my opinion.

Get one and give it a job that's why o got mine, some are buying because guard and security purpose.
Everybody has a purpose of buying a dog, one thing I know is certain, the dog is a weapon in the wrong hand.
when people request for a DDR GSD they know what they are coming for its not for play around.
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by miremoses(m): 1:19am On Aug 14, 2017
olisafincy:

Get one and give it a job that's why o got mine, some are buying because guard and security purpose.
Everybody has a purpose of buying a dog, one thing I know is certain, the dog is a weapon in the wrong hand.
when people request for a DDR GSD they know what they are coming for its not for play around.
i sense a serious argument coming up between u and Mr olu,i hope it doesnt lead to quarrel. Btw i like Robby.,try and work him more often.
Re: Can We Stop The Fast Declining Of The Straight GSD? by dacovajnr: 11:33am On Aug 14, 2017
olisafincy:
Quality GSD are still in Nigeria,
Thanks to the top bosses who are keeping the hopes alive.
How much did you got your DDR?

(1) (2) (Reply)

SOLD! SOLD!! SOLD!!! Male St. Bernard Puppy For Sale / Trained Security/guard Dog For Sale / Neapolitan Mastiff Puppies Available (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.