Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,351 members, 7,819,253 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? (15977 Views)

"Closing The Eyes When Praying Is Wrong"priest Tells Reno Omokri In Ethiopia / Do Christians Have To Go To Church? - Olamide Obire / Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 30, 2017
Inanna:
According to what I was told in Sunday school, so that angels won't poke sticks inside your eyes.

Lol. How old are you?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 30, 2017
Its helps you focus..and meditate
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by bonifieldstun(m): 10:33am On Jul 30, 2017
So that angel will not slap you
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 30, 2017
Old enough to know I can still open my eyes and pray.
ollah1:

Lol. How old are you?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by GR8ST(m): 10:34am On Jul 30, 2017
Distraction is the main headline
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by bonifieldstun(m): 10:34am On Jul 30, 2017
ollah1:

Lol. How old are you?
tarrr she is correct jor
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by victorazy(m): 10:35am On Jul 30, 2017
Rikze:

I agree with you...

But about Muslims who I see praying with their eyes wide open?

They appear concentrated and undistracted

your discussion is about Christianity and ur judging from Islamic paspective, don't u know that Islam is opp of christianity? Christianity came before Islam, so they do all possible to oppose the ways of Christianity.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by skimanski(m): 10:35am On Jul 30, 2017
SO is it safe to say praying with your eyes open is not a sin?
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 30, 2017
Rikze:
After giving serious thought to the matter and considering some passages in the Scriptures, I'm yet to figure out why closing ones eyes is a requirement when praying.

Secondly, I don't think it was expressly stated in the scriptures that we should pray with our eyes closed.

How did the practice of closing ones eyes originate?

Is it a sin if one prays without closing his or her eyes?

Please let's share ideas...

Have a great Sunday
WHY DO YOU CLOSE YOUR EYEES WHEN KISSING??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by bonifieldstun(m): 10:37am On Jul 30, 2017
Inanna:
Old enough to know I can still open my eyes and pray.
don't mind that one jorr u are still correct either way
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Freethought(m): 10:38am On Jul 30, 2017
Rikze:
After giving serious thought to the matter and considering some passages in the Scriptures, I'm yet to figure out why closing ones eyes is a requirement when praying.

Secondly, I don't think it was expressly stated in the scriptures that we should pray with our eyes closed.

How did the practice of closing ones eyes originate?

Is it a sin if one prays without closing his or her eyes?

Please let's share ideas...

Have a great Sunday

Simple, it's just so you won't get distracted by all this big booties that are always packed in a small black mini skirt in church every Sunday...

Buh, for me, I don't close my eyes when praying in church, well, I don't knw why, all I know is I'm being security conscious

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by hahn(m): 10:38am On Jul 30, 2017
Christians have to close their eyes so they do not notice how stupid the congregation looks

Just try and open your eyes during prayer and you will say to yourself, "damn, are we this stupid?" tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by mensos544: 10:40am On Jul 30, 2017
Lie lie forfor. Where is't written in d bible ? Get wise my frnds
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by possibility99: 10:43am On Jul 30, 2017
Guy u funny die
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by 0b100100111: 10:44am On Jul 30, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
God is a spirit. ,we must worship him in Spirit too.

grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by coolestchris(m): 10:45am On Jul 30, 2017
so they won't be distracted by that big àss in Church
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by possibility99: 10:46am On Jul 30, 2017
Freethought:

Simple, it's just so you won't get distracted by all this big booties that are always packed in a small black mini skirt in church every Sunday...

Buh, for me, I don't close my eyes when praying in church, well, I don't knw why, all I know is I'm being security conscious

hahaha
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by 0b100100111: 10:46am On Jul 30, 2017
hahn:
Christians have to close their eyes so they do not notice how stupid the congregation looks

Just try and open your eyes during prayer and you will say to yourself, "damn, are we this stupid?" tongue

You said it all!

It's always a time to re-psyche there mental captivity individually so distraction is always mitigated !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by BadBlaize(m): 10:47am On Jul 30, 2017
Its a personal decision, u can choose to close or open ur eyes, infact any church i attend nd d pastor says close ur eyes lets pray na dat time i dey shine my eye pass...

Cus i hate people telling me wat to do
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Alitair(m): 10:47am On Jul 30, 2017
Strictly to avoid distraction. Every other thing is a hoax!
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by supereagle(m): 10:48am On Jul 30, 2017
Close your eyes to the visible so you can see the invisible.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by perdollar(m): 10:52am On Jul 30, 2017
StarBukola:
Am here to read comments
shift make I join u but e b like say ds ur booby go distract me wella
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 30, 2017
bonifieldstun:
tarrr she is correct jor

Those Sunday school teachers dey Sabi lie ehnn .
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 30, 2017
To prevent distractions and to be in the spirit.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Maxcollins042(m): 10:59am On Jul 30, 2017
Rikze:

Wat about during your private or personal prayers, do you pray with your eyes open?
You can pray with your eye lids shut or open. Just don't get distracted.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by bonifieldstun(m): 10:59am On Jul 30, 2017
ollah1:

Those Sunday school teachers dey Sabi lie ehnn .
na so dem tell girls say if a boy jess touch u like this na belle na so I wan wake my partner wey sleep I jess tap her hand say bae wake up na, na so I received slap the girl beginning cry say i don spoil her life, na so slap from nowhere land for my fine face oo after every thing dem kon ask weytin happen na so she talk say I don give am belle eh na so people for church beginning shout chimo Jesus then person kon ask how e take happen she kon say he touch me while I was sleeping he tap my hand and our Sunday school teacher say if a boy touch u, u don get belle ahh na so I take free oo after beating by slap lol
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by MUSACALLY(m): 11:01am On Jul 30, 2017
maximunimpact:
As humans we never had the power to decide the day we are to be born on earth, when birth pangs beckoned on our mother, we had no idea when and how we’ll come to life. It is similar to being born again, we do not have the power to decide the day nor can we chose to be born again, God decides who will be born again and when to be born. Do not be deceived by those claiming to represent God who “administer born again” as if it’s a close we just wear and pull anytime we want. Happy Sunday all.
My guy... I like your comment. Are you JW
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by somegirl1: 11:08am On Jul 30, 2017
Rikze:

I agree with you...

But about Muslims who I see praying with their eyes wide open?

They appear concentrated and undistracted
Key word emboldened.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by nifesi01(f): 11:16am On Jul 30, 2017
Its just to avoid distraction and make u connected to the one you're praying to,
Opening your eyes will not really allow you to pour out your mind to God the way you want considering people you're looking at
Opening your eyes while praying also brings divided mind and attention
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by nifesi01(f): 11:16am On Jul 30, 2017
Your mind go by what you see
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by LAUWALI222(m): 11:17am On Jul 30, 2017
adextetoo:
It helps us to atleast avoid all those olosho sisters in church during prayers.
Is there any verse in the bible to depend it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pastor And His Wife In Court For Beating Co-tenant With Plank / Happy Ash Wednesday. What Are Your Plans This Lent Period?? / A Male Campus Pastor Paying Female Members Personal Visitation."alone"....ok??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.