Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? (15971 Views)

"Closing The Eyes When Praying Is Wrong"priest Tells Reno Omokri In Ethiopia / Do Christians Have To Go To Church? - Olamide Obire / Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by sandrahnaub(f): 11:22am On Jul 30, 2017
Maybe avoid distractions
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by omoISEYIN(m): 11:29am On Jul 30, 2017
Rikze:
After giving serious thought to the matter and considering some passages in the Scriptures, I'm yet to figure out why closing ones eyes is a requirement when praying.

Secondly, I don't think it was expressly stated in the scriptures that we should pray with our eyes closed.

How did the practice of closing ones eyes originate?

Is it a sin if one prays without closing his or her eyes?

Please let's share ideas...

Have a great Sunday

I'l try to answer your question reasonably from my knowledge..
Before Jesus was Mohammed, Mohammed will cup is hands facing the sky while praying to his lord with the believe that before he cover back his hand, his prayers had been answered.. The Muslims emulated their prophet..

Jesus, will close his eyes while praying to his Lord and before he opens his eyes the lord will answer his prayers, the Christians followed suit.

Moses, will look into the sky and pray to his Lord, and before casting down his eyes, his prayers must have been answered.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by peternatan(m): 11:33am On Jul 30, 2017
Rikze:
After giving serious thought to the matter and considering some passages in the Scriptures, I'm yet to figure out why closing ones eyes is a requirement when praying.

Secondly, I don't think it was expressly stated in the scriptures that we should pray with our eyes closed.

How did the practice of closing ones eyes originate?

Is it a sin if one prays without closing his or her eyes?

Please let's share ideas...

Have a great Sunday
This is one of the act we met our fore fathers doing and we decided to join....shebi it is just to close eyes and pray...
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by MissRaine69(f): 11:34am On Jul 30, 2017
To block out distractions as you will be having a private conversation with your maker.
When you meditate your eyes are closed sight is a sense as well as you are aware you see your brain responds and your train of thought is derailed.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by hadjipapiey(m): 11:35am On Jul 30, 2017
Rikze:

I agree with you...

But about Muslims who I see praying with their eyes wide open?

They appear concentrated and undistracted

Absolutely, Concentration is a thing of the mind
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Slurity(m): 11:40am On Jul 30, 2017
it is not a sin to pray with eyes open in fact some prayers need you to open your eyes wide during deliverance player for a mad man but the ultimate reason for closing of eyes during prayer is to enhance focus and concentration.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Lalas247(f): 11:43am On Jul 30, 2017
Is it in the bible!
Fed up of people telling me to close my eyes undecided for what .. look need to see what's going on grin
Before useles spirit enter me ..
if it's not in black n white typed in that bible King James Version .. kolewerk
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by hadjipapiey(m): 11:43am On Jul 30, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
God is a spirit. ,we must worship him in Spirit too.
grin
sandrahnaub:
Maybe avoid distractions
sandrahnaub:
Maybe avoid distractions
Show me your reference for arriving at that, else its hoax
bonifieldstun:
tarrr she is correct jor
grin
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by hadjipapiey(m): 11:44am On Jul 30, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
God is a spirit. ,we must worship him in Spirit too.
grin
sandrahnaub:
Maybe avoid distractions
sandrahnaub:
Maybe avoid distractions
Show me your reference for arriving at that, else it's hoax
bonifieldstun:
tarrr she is correct jor
grin
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by hadjipapiey(m): 11:49am On Jul 30, 2017
omoISEYIN:

I'l try to answer your question reasonably from my knowledge..
Before Jesus was Mohammed, Mohammed will cup is hands facing the sky while praying to his lord with the believe that before he cover back his hand, his prayers had been answered.. The Muslims emulated their prophet..

Jesus, will close his eyes while praying to his Lord and before he opens his eyes the lord will answer his prayers, the Christians followed suit.

Moses, will look into the sky and pray to his Lord, and before casting down his eyes, his prayers must have been answered.

Your reference or you're just guessing!
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by nifesi01(f): 11:52am On Jul 30, 2017
hadjipapiey:

Your reference or you're just guessing!
He said to his knowledge
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Flashmove: 11:54am On Jul 30, 2017
nzeobi:
it helps focus and prevents distractions

The same answer that I wanted to give.. Maybe you copied from my mind.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by bonifieldstun(m): 11:55am On Jul 30, 2017
hadjipapiey:
grin
Show me your reference for arriving at that, else its hoax
grin
lol that is what I was taught and I believe it die till Jesus Christ come dont open ur eyes when praying or else angles will blind u shikina
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by An2elect2(f): 11:57am On Jul 30, 2017
maximunimpact:
As humans we never had the power to decide the day we are to be born on earth, when birth pangs beckoned on our mother, we had no idea when and how we’ll come to life. It is similar to being born again, we do not have the power to decide the day nor can we chose to be born again, God decides who will be born again and when to be born. Do not be deceived by those claiming to represent God who “administer born again” as if it’s a close we just wear and pull anytime we want. Happy Sunday all.
This is so sound.

It's so good to see someone who understands
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Officialnelly(m): 11:59am On Jul 30, 2017
Hi Nairalanders, today is my birthday
Show me some love by clicking the LIKE button

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 30, 2017
Not all Christians closes their eyes to pray. Praying by closing your eyes as a Christian makes you focus and avoid distractions as you can communicate with Yahweh. It's a norm adopted by most Christian folks just like some Christian folks can't do without worshipping Yeshua with musical instruments.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by geronimoedeh1(m): 12:08pm On Jul 30, 2017
Their god pastor initiated the idea so as to scam them easily when there eyes are closed...e.g like dropping a dead lizard from there pocket to the floor etc

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by banmee(m): 12:20pm On Jul 30, 2017
Because they know that they are actually making wishes. They subconsciously know they are wasting their time.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Martin0(m): 12:22pm On Jul 30, 2017
Lalas247:

Is it in the bible!
Fed up of people telling me to close my eyes undecided for what .. look need to see what's going on grin
Before useles spirit enter me ..
if it's not in black n white typed in that bible King James Version .. kolewerk
I don't believ in such crappy lies,and sometimes the bible is complicated,I believ there are words of men in it,and for me eh hmmm men are liar's ooo only few
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Kbanka: 12:26pm On Jul 30, 2017
Amberon11:
Cuz the best things in life are not seen but felt.

So you don't feel if you're eyes are open??
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by hadjipapiey(m): 12:32pm On Jul 30, 2017
bonifieldstun:
lol that is what I was taught and I believe it die till Jesus Christ come dont open ur eyes when praying[b]or else angleswill blind u shikina [/b] tongue

grin o nfimi k'oroso
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by adelumolo(m): 12:41pm On Jul 30, 2017
Closing eyes during prayers was an invention and had no biblical support(sic). Muslims pray with focus on point you prostrate ie where you place your head.
Focusing on prayers depends on individual state of mind not whether eyes are closed or not.

Tunde

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Taku555(m): 12:46pm On Jul 30, 2017
Rikze:

Wat about during your private or personal prayers, do you pray with your eyes open?
even watching in your private room, your clothes, bed, door, tv, etc can undoubtedly distract you.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by sandrahnaub(f): 12:49pm On Jul 30, 2017
hadjipapiey:
grin
Show me your reference for arriving at that, else it's hoax
grin

Most people probably close their eyes so that they are not distracted by movement around them, enabling them to concentrate better on the prayer. The important thing is to pray with the right attitude and in harmony with God’s will (James 5:13-15).
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by fannybaby(f): 12:57pm On Jul 30, 2017
to avoid distraction kiss kiss
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by bobo65(m): 1:15pm On Jul 30, 2017
Inanna:
According to what I was told in Sunday school, so that angels won't poke sticks inside your eyes.

Na Mountain of fire u dey go

Mos def
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Fabulous7(m): 1:16pm On Jul 30, 2017
nzeobi:
You can refer this to those indian people or those hinduism whenever they are worshipping their god's or when they are meditating.it helps to concentrate fully spiritually and physically.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by maximunimpact(m): 1:20pm On Jul 30, 2017
MUSACALLY:

My guy... I like your comment. Are you JW

i used to be
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 30, 2017
To see Robert Powell nah.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by mvem(m): 1:35pm On Jul 30, 2017
salbis:
See question. Very soon someone will ask, why do we swallow food?
...oga na very good question....judaism that is even older than christainity, der belivers dont close der eyes same as muslims.....if u say it is for distraction purposes, then fine....but was it written in d bible, if no den y do we do it....healthy debate thats all
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by anoda(m): 1:40pm On Jul 30, 2017
nzeobi:
very correct and helps in meditation
Re: Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? by Auki: 1:58pm On Jul 30, 2017
Broad summary of the response start with 'I think or may be'. The responses are sheer conjectures, and conjecture cannot and will replace the position of truth.

Closing of eye and many of what Christian believe and practice today are invented by the Pagan Roman.

May your creator guide you to know the truth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pastor And His Wife In Court For Beating Co-tenant With Plank / A Male Campus Pastor Paying Female Members Personal Visitation."alone"....ok?? / Happy Ash Wednesday. What Are Your Plans This Lent Period??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.